AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-12-04, 20:08   Link #41
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrune View Post
sucks your mom doesn't put for any genuine effort into her gift giving. you should try getting her something nice one year so she feels guilty the next time she pulls a stunt like that . genuine gifts are cool, but if the price is right or if its something i really needed i could care less if there is any thought behind it honestly. ps that last bit about your husband walking through the rain to get you get you a ring he couldn't afford and proposing to you the same night does make the perfect gift.
Nah; it'd be a waste.. my mother has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, so she doesn't feel things like guilt and whatnot. She and my sister prettymuch get some token just so I dont' hear them whinge about it, and then I get my father a good gift, because he and I connect and the other 2 and I just don't...
One year hubby and I decided not to buy one another gifts, because we'd found the perfect gift for him and it was more expensive than we'd alloted.. we got him this painting as he is a vet, and my uncle's name is on the wall, along with many my dad served with. It was one of the few times I've seen tears in his eyes, and he put it in the front room of their house so that he sees it when he comes home every day.
Some years, like this one, I give very few gifts because of money, or, better yet, I will MAKE gifts. Those are the ones I prefer; not something shiny, but something that will touch a person. Even if it's just an invite to our home for a hot meal to a friend who would otherwise be alone.
Holidays're about being with people you care about, IMO. I could totally do w/o the gifts

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 22:15   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrune View Post
i hate when people act like christmas is just a holiday for silly americans addicted to consumer culture. personally i don't see anything wrong with that, i mean who doesn't like receiving gifts whether they're 5 dollars or 500 dollars. getting stuff leaves you feeling good regardless of whether or not you've done anything deserving a gift. the act of giving is also rewarding if only to see the look on the other persons face when they open whatever it is. not saying being with family and friends isn't great during the holidays, but the consumer aspect of it is fun to a certain extent too.
The Japanese *love* Christmas.... for reasons almost unrelated to the corporate American reasons or religious significance. Actually, the holiday is pretty much what people anywhere choose to make of it.

There's a *lot* of depth to the ancient reasons for many of the celebratory aspects (yule logs, decorated trees, bonfires, wassail, spiced cider, eggnog, feasting/potlucks, gift giving, decorating, etc).

There's some picture of Stonehenge in winter with the caption "the real reason for the season" -- a quirky way of saying the traditions echo back thousands of years. If the recent crass commercialized crap annoys you (religious or secular) -- look farther back.
Old 2009-12-05, 00:15   Link #43
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm looking forward to Christmas this year because I get to spend time with my family... I'm in a boarding school and I haven't seen my brother and parents in three months
Our school's Anglican so it's getting really Christmassy around here... We have a carol service, Christmas decorations, hot chocolate and everything, so the atmosphere's pretty great^^
I'm pretty excited for Christmas
Old 2009-12-05, 00:20   Link #44
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I'm looking forward to Christmas mostly because it'll be a chance for me to see my whole family together and intact. My cousin lives up in Colorado with her husband and kids, and usually only comes down to visit us during the holiday, so it'll be nice to see her again and have the whole family in one place. Over Christmas is when I also get to see my Aunt Rosanne and Uncle Dave and their kids, so that will be nice. I really want to tak to Robbie, too; I want to compare college experiences and lament about how old we're getting! XD (Robbie just turned 20 and I'm due to turn 19 in April!)
Old 2009-12-05, 00:54   Link #45
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
US Thanksgiving = Turkey Day
UK Christmas = Turkey Day

US Christmas = ????????

I've bugged Americans time and time again, but can't seem to get some kinda of standised or uniformed answer, so do care to enlighten me Americans of Asuki.
US Christmas = Turkey Day #2. Or possibly Turkey + Ham Day.

For some reason, I thought the English ate Christmas goose. Or is that just olden times?
Old 2009-12-05, 01:03   Link #46
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Yes, I'm looking forward to the annual celebration of solstice !

It's gonna be a traditional booze-up, and why the hell not ? Although, this year I might be getting drunk from red wine instead of the usual fine beers.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 01:26   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
US Christmas = Turkey Day #2. Or possibly Turkey + Ham Day.

For some reason, I thought the English ate Christmas goose. Or is that just olden times?
For us, the winter holiday is the Time of the Roast Beast. (nod to Dr. Seuss and the Grinch). We usually have roast beef (or some huge chunk of moo-like critter) -- but its called the Roast Beast.

In our circle:
Thanksgiving - Harvest Day: Turkey/dressing, futomaki + assorted dishes.
Christmas - Yuletide: RoastBeast/mashedpotatoes, inari sushi + et cetera.
New Years - Revenge of the Wassail: Baked Ham, Ozoni + assorted things various cultures eat for new years.
Old 2009-12-05, 01:28   Link #48
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

This time three years ago Christmas just kind of lost its magic for me. Not due to any certain event, just because I'm getting older I guess.

Although 2007's bittersweet Christmastime and 2008's Christmastime (and shortly after it) have really not helped that at all.

But I still do enjoy the Christmas season. Don't know why. I like the decorations, and sometimes I like the music. (Although the music has become increasingly annoying to me over the last few years as well. )

And of course, there is the fact that Christmas falls in December and winter (which I love. Winter is the best season!), and also is the day before my birthday.

I don't know what to expect this Christmas, though. As I said the magic is almost completely gone. I already know what I'm getting and it's not likely I'll be getting it on Christmas day.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 22:31   Link #49
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
When i was a Kid christmas use to be so great, there was a lot of talk about giving and brotherly love that i bought into, but after I matured it became less and less special until it became a paid day off, and now i have to work on that day with the spin of holiday pay and a little bit more.
Old 2009-12-05, 23:06   Link #50
Gin
*Artist

Christmas is my favorite of all holidays!
1) It has its own mascot
2)Get to see friends and family that I haven't seen in a while.
3)Everyone is in a good mood.
4)Giving gifts is one of my favorite things to do.

Old 2009-12-06, 13:46   Link #51
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

There's one thing though that I absolutely despise about Christmas...

Holiday music.

Like, yeah.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 14:50   Link #52
Theowne
耳をすませば

I love the idea of Christmas and its manifestations in fiction...

The real thing is a tad disappointing....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 14:55   Link #53
stubby42

This christmas is kind of strange for me because its the first time in two years I havent just stepped off the plane into celerbrations. I've done two semesters abroad in canada, which ran from september to december and I got back to the uk on the 23rd of december each time.

This year is slightly more relaxed, though I'm working almost all of it (damn retail jobs).

I've always had a complex relationship with christmas, in that its also my birthday and its near impossible to plan any birthday celerbrations for it, to the point where I've given up.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 14:59   Link #54
Tamao-chan
Nom Nom Mushroom! XD

Christmas always makes me happy, because I get to spend time with all my famliy and friends. Giving gifts to people is also fun.
Tamao-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 15:35   Link #55
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

As a kid it was a festive season loved the whole atmosphere the movies generated before and during xmas . But as grew older became a mere formality more so . if it wasn't for the food wouldn't have even been visiting home . Over the years enjoyed spending Xmas with friends . And some of them I only get to see during holidays .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2009-12-06 at 16:04.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 16:32   Link #56
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
There's one thing though that I absolutely despise about Christmas...

Holiday music.

Like, yeah.
You mean the Jingle Bells, I Wish You A Merry Christmas (to give example of english songs that you surely know) and other songs?

Total opposite here We enjoy them, and sing
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 17:14   Link #57
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I hate Christmas music.

I used to be okay with it, back when I had a family and friends to spend the holidays with. But now it just reminds me how alone I am. It's like I'm a ghost.

And before some smartass says "hurr go make friends hurr" I'll remind you that I am not a child anymore, and as an adult, money is required to make friends. As I have been unemployed for nine months, money is something I lack.
Old 2009-12-06, 17:47   Link #58
Gin
*Artist

I will be your friend
Old 2009-12-06, 18:04   Link #59
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
You mean the Jingle Bells, I Wish You A Merry Christmas (to give example of english songs that you surely know) and other songs?

Total opposite here We enjoy them, and sing
Jingle Bell Rock ftw
I played it along with the Jazz Band when I was in junior high, as well as some other Xmas Jazz songs =3
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 18:08   Link #60
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Christmas is the best time of the year which family get together and also we exchange gifts... Christmas is not all about gifts, by the way.

I agree, holiday music can get tiring after one song since it's basicly the same... and it becomes a big earworm... once holiday music play, they get stuck in your mind forever (perhaps not... but...)