AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2018-03-23, 15:38   Link #17781
Ginko08

Quick question guys, I havenīt really kept up with DAL for a while now, occasional spoiler aside, so coming in here and reading spoilers for volume 18 has left me somewhat confused in regards to two things.

So, Mio is some sort of surrogate mother to Shido, thatīs all fine and dandy. But where does that leave Mana, his biological sister? Was she reborn with him, or did she just not age in appearance and is in fact much older than reborn Shido?

Oh, and regarding Tohka, why does she continue on existing after being kissed when Rinne didnīt? Is there a reasonable explanation for it given what we know, or do we have to chalk it up to being a matter of canon vs non-canon?
Ginko08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-23, 16:03   Link #17782
Mizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginko08 View Post
Quick question guys, I havenīt really kept up with DAL for a while now, occasional spoiler aside, so coming in here and reading spoilers for volume 18 has left me somewhat confused in regards to two things.

So, Mio is some sort of surrogate mother to Shido, thatīs all fine and dandy. But where does that leave Mana, his biological sister? Was she reborn with him, or did she just not age in appearance and is in fact much older than reborn Shido?

Oh, and regarding Tohka, why does she continue on existing after being kissed when Rinne didnīt? Is there a reasonable explanation for it given what we know, or do we have to chalk it up to being a matter of canon vs non-canon?
Spoiler for answer:
Mizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-23, 17:35   Link #17783
Xftg123

Just read the spoilers. So I'm wondering...

Spoiler for DAL 18 Ending Question:
Xftg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-23, 17:48   Link #17784
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginko08 View Post

Mana is about 45 years old right now. She had experiments done on her by DEM that stopped her growth while cutting down on her lifespan.
Old 2018-03-23, 21:01   Link #17785
Dark Rose Princess
Lost in an Elegy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xftg123 View Post
Just read the spoilers. So I'm wondering...

Spoiler for DAL 18 Ending Question:
No. Shido went back in time a day, so they're alive.
Why? Because he's Shido. Even if he didn't have Shinji's memories of how much he loves Mio now (which he does, FYI), he's still not the kind to act out of rage or spite.
If Mio is <Deus> - God - then Shido is the Messiah, and he's definitely grown into that role. He forgives, he doesn't kill.
If only you could feel how much it hurts, yet I would not wish that upon even the cursed.
The pain is a dagger which stabs my heart, and pricks it every second till it tears apart.
Like a flower whose petals have died, all I feel is emptiness inside
Though for you my heart weeps a river of blood, you are not to be blamed for this flood.
I’m letting you go, even though you were never mine.
It was my mistake to think this could be just fine.

Letting Go
Dark Rose Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-23, 21:15   Link #17786
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I’d certainly forgive him for not wanting to save her, though. She doesn’t care about anything but Shinji, not even Shidou, nor who she has to hurt or kill to bring Shinji back. She’s made it clear she’s only a little better than Wescott. Her best quality over him is that she looks cute, but she definitely doesn’t act cute.
Then she went and slaughtered everyone Shidou cares about. She definitely hasn’t done anything to earn his good favor. (being the one responsible for bringing him into existence doesn’t count when it was her plan to essentially kill him anyway)
Old 2018-03-23, 21:45   Link #17787
ArandomMexican
someone irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I’d certainly forgive him for not wanting to save her, though. She doesn’t care about anything but Shinji, not even Shidou, nor who she has to hurt or kill to bring Shinji back. She’s made it clear she’s only a little better than Wescott. Her best quality over him is that she looks cute, but she definitely doesn’t act cute.
Then she went and slaughtered everyone Shidou cares about. She definitely hasn’t done anything to earn his good favor. (being the one responsible for bringing him into existence doesn’t count when it was her plan to essentially kill him anyway)
Spoiler for from vol 18:

Mio is like rinne in the background is not evil but if it is for his beloved would not mind slaughtering half world (literally).

pd:sorry for the bad inglish.
ArandomMexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-23, 21:51   Link #17788
Dark Rose Princess
Lost in an Elegy

Quote:
Shido has never been shown to be the kind of person to care about any of that, though. Back in V3, from Shido's POV at the time, Kurumi was just as bad, fulling willing - and only moments away from killing everyone with a spacequake, and yet he was fully committed to saving her. He's always been this way.

Would it be understandable for him to not want to save her? Yes. Justifiable? Hell yes. In-character? Not by miles.
If only you could feel how much it hurts, yet I would not wish that upon even the cursed.
The pain is a dagger which stabs my heart, and pricks it every second till it tears apart.
Though for you my heart weeps a river of blood, you are not to be blamed for this flood.

Letting Go
Old 2018-03-23, 22:12   Link #17789
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArandomMexican View Post
Mio is like rinne in the background is not evil but if it is for his beloved would not mind slaughtering half world (literally).

pd:sorry for the bad inglish.
And how would that excuse her slaughtering half the world? That’s close enough to evil. Not only does no single person deserve to live at the expense of half the world, nobody has the right to slaughter half the world at all. Rinne did no such thing, nor did she consider doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos Entity View Post
Shido has never been shown to be the kind of person to care about any of that, though. Back in V3, from Shido's POV at the time, Kurumi was just as bad, fulling willing - and only moments away from killing everyone with a spacequake, and yet he was fully committed to saving her. He's always been this way.

Would it be understandable for him to not want to save her? Yes. Justifiable? Hell yes. In-character? Not by miles.
I never once said it was in his character to hate or condemn her, even for killing everyone he cares about. I said I’d forgive him if he did, because that would be perfectly natural and deserved.
For the record though, It was made clear early on that Kurumi was still doing what she did for good, everyone’s good, as twisted as it was. And later we found out that if her plan worked everything would be fixed as if nothing happened. Mio doesn’t have any intention to fix anything she’s ruined or bring back anyone she’s killed.

Mio’s main support here is going to come from fans who like her because she’s cute. It’s like Nena Trinity in Gundam 00; lots of viewers didn’t mind her massacring innocent people because she was cute and had big breasts.
Now, I’m not pointing out anybody. But there are plenty of fans out there who do think that.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2018-03-23 at 22:27.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-23, 22:52   Link #17790
ArandomMexican
someone irrelevant

Quote:
And how would that excuse her slaughtering half the world? That’s close enough to evil. Not only does no single person deserve to live at the expense of half the world, nobody has the right to slaughter half the world at all. Rinne did no such thing, nor did she consider doing so.

I never once said it was in his character to hate or condemn her, even for killing everyone he cares about. I said I’d forgive him if he did, because that would be perfectly natural and deserved.
For the record though, It was made clear early on that Kurumi was still doing what she did for good, everyone’s good, as twisted as it was. And later we found out that if her plan worked everything would be fixed as if nothing happened. Mio doesn’t have any intention to fix anything she’s ruined or bring back anyone she’s killed.

Mio’s main support here is going to come from fans who like her because she’s cute. It’s like Nena Trinity in Gundam 00; lots of viewers didn’t mind her massacring innocent people because she was cute and had big breasts.
Now, I’m not pointing out anybody. But there are plenty of fans out there who do think that.
I never wanted said that would excuse her, I wanted said that she had afeccion to the girls (only that she put her lunatic love before them) that's all.

about rinne,Do you really think that if she were in a situation where (for example) to activate the eden when shidou died at the beginning of the game she would have to sacrifice the lives of 100,000 people outside of this she would not? Just remember that Rinne affirmed that she would do WHATEVER for the happiness of Shigou as well as Mio is willing to do WHATEVER to bring shinji back.

Last edited by ArandomMexican; 2018-03-23 at 23:15.
Old 2018-03-23, 23:00   Link #17791
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Quote:
For the record, I’m not saying anyone here is like that. But there are plenty of fans out there who do.
I'm not denying that I like her character design but it's her pure devotion (aka yandereism) to Shinji that I find admirable. If you had a goddess lover that can resurrect you at the cost of all your potential future memories wouldn't you take it? I'll admit her plan was flawed from the beginning though, she should've found another way to give him immortality but she's not human and her thought logic seems to differ from the norm. Also, I don't think we're allowed to talk about real world religions but you have no idea how funny it is reading your comments about Mio and comparing it to a certain religion . Kudos to Tachibana I guess.

You mentioned that you would forgive Shidou for not saving Mio but I would condemn him instead because she is the one who did everything for him and although she's misguided she's the one who deserves to be saved the most by him. It's okay for the other spirits and the whole world to hate her but not him. Not to mention she's his 'mother'. Maybe it's because I'm from a Chinese culture which is heavy on filial piety but even if his mom is Hitler reborn I would find him worse than trash if he abandoned her. Just my opinion on Mio, I'm glad the other spirits didn't really die though.
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-24, 01:24   Link #17792
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArandomMexican View Post
I never wanted said that would excuse her, I wanted said that she had afeccion to the girls (only that she put her lunatic love before them) that's all.
Well it doesn’t say much for her affection for the girls if she kills them all brutally for her own purpose.

Quote:
about rinne,Do you really think that if she were in a situation where (for example) to activate the eden when shidou died at the beginning of the game she would have to sacrifice the lives of 100,000 people outside of this she would not? Just remember that Rinne affirmed that she would do WHATEVER for the happiness of Shigou as well as Mio is willing to do WHATEVER to bring shinji back.
I see nothing to jump to that extreme of a conclusion. Rinne has shown she cares for everybody in both words and actions. Mio failed at the latter.
Of course, this is all moot. Whether Mio does it or Rinne does it or somebody else does it, it’s wrong. And Mio has shown virtually no remorse for anything she has done and no intention to fix any of it. Not a good testament to her character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
I'm not denying that I like her character design but it's her pure devotion (aka yandereism) to Shinji that I find admirable. If you had a goddess lover that can resurrect you at the cost of all your potential future memories wouldn't you take it? I'll admit her plan was flawed from the beginning though, she should've found another way to give him immortality but she's not human and her thought logic seems to differ from the norm. Also, I don't think we're allowed to talk about real world religions but you have no idea how funny it is reading your comments about Mio and comparing it to a certain religion . Kudos to Tachibana I guess.
Wanting something doesn’t make it justified. Bank robbers want the millions or billions of dollars stored in bank vaults. And the kicker is that if Shinji was any good a person as Shidou, he’d tell her it’s wrong too.
Because “she’s not human”? You make it sound like she was born on an alien world and hasn’t interacted with human beings for the whole 30+ years she’s existed. And she learned what it was like to be and think like a human from Shinji many years ago. Her thought logic is exactly like any bad guy who is willing to wipe out the world for his/her goals.
I guess you see something I didn’t intend, because I certainly not talki about any religion. *shrug*

Quote:
You mentioned that you would forgive Shidou for not saving Mio but I would condemn him instead because she is the one who did everything for him and although she's misguided she's the one who deserves to be saved the most by him. It's okay for the other spirits and the whole world to hate her but not him. Not to mention she's his 'mother'. Maybe it's because I'm from a Chinese culture which is heavy on filial piety but even if his mom is Hitler reborn I would find him worse than trash if he abandoned her. Just my opinion on Mio, I'm glad the other spirits didn't really die though.
She murdered everyone he cares about and essentially tried to kill him as well by wiping his memories and personality. In that way, she’s hurt him as badly as anyone can be hurt, and then still tried to kill him. She doesn’t care about him, only Shinji, no matter what she says to the contrary. He has plenty reason to hate her.
Any court would convict and condemn her for her actions (wiping out so many innocent people to save her love is not justified) and rightfully so. Being his mother doesn’t earn her a free pass either, and she’s not even actually his mother.
I’m glad for your sake that she’s not Hitler reborn than, because taking her side on this would probably earn you the ire of a lot of people out there.

I’m not out to condemn Mio either, but I’m speaking fairly and unbiased. While I don’t want her to die or suffer anymore, she’s definitely the bad guy and Tachibana is very much making her out to be just that. If anything, her attractiveness (if that’s a word) may actually be influencing me toward her side, like I pointed out above. Normally I’d want characters who do things like that to burn.
Old 2018-03-24, 01:49   Link #17793
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Quote:
Because “she’s not human”? You make it sound like she was born on an alien world and hasn’t interacted with human beings for the whole 30+ years she’s existed. And she learned what it was like to be and think like a human from Shinji many years ago. Her thought logic is exactly like any bad guy who is willing to wipe out the world for his/her goals.

She murdered everyone he cares about and essentially tried to kill him as well by wiping his memories and personality. In that way, she’s hurt him as badly as anyone can be hurt, and then still tried to kill him. She doesn’t care about him, only Shinji, no matter what she says to the contrary. He has plenty reason to hate her.
But she's really not human, she's an original spirit just like Tohka and has only lived with Shinji for probably a couple of months before Westcott shows up and killed the human she loves the most. She's kind of like what Tohka might have become if Shidou really died during their first date and she had Mio's godlike powers. I'm not saying she would go on some journey to resurrect Shidou but she would've killed a lot of people too in her grief..

I think the problem here is that I see Shidou and Shinji as the same person, just that each represents a half of him or more specifically his memories. Trying to wipe out half his memories is not the same as taking his life. If he was a random person who she used as a vessel and then discarded like the other spirits I would agree that she essential kills him. But in this case it's like removing 15 years of memories from a 30 year old man so she half kills him? Well anyways I know she is definitely the evil villain here but I think she can still be redeemed.

I'm wondering if Shidou is able to absorb Reine's power and prevent her from fusing with Mio so that they can have a more even fight. That seems like a logical outcome after their date unless Westcott shenanigans happens.
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-24, 02:50   Link #17794
ArandomMexican
someone irrelevant

Quote:

I see nothing to jump to that extreme of a conclusion. Rinne has shown she cares for everybody in both words and actions. Mio failed at the latter.
Of course, this is all moot. Whether Mio does it or Rinne does it or somebody else does it, it’s wrong. And Mio has shown virtually no remorse for anything she has done and no intention to fix any of it. Not a good testament to her character.

It seems that you think that what I want to say is that Mio is good because she is like Rinne when what I want to say is only that Mio is like rinne (or rather an extremist version of rinne), and that as rinne is not a being PURELY EVIL who massacred people for fun, but yes is someone who for comply his target (who is not 100% evil) was willing to do WHATEVER even perform unforgivable acts or kill people who really want. Of course, that's wrong, I've never denied it, but to say that it's almost like Wescott (which proved true diversion torturing Nia) seems to me a real exaggeration.

Quote:

I’m not out to condemn Mio either, but I’m speaking fairly and unbiased. While I don’t want her to die or suffer anymore, she’s definitely the bad guy and Tachibana is very much making her out to be just that. If anything, her attractiveness (if that’s a word) may actually be influencing me toward her side, like I pointed out above. Normally I’d want characters who do things like that to burn.
I really think it's very unlikely that Tachibana would kill her in the end, the objective of the series was always to save the girls and if Tachibana did not plan to redeem her, he would not have taken the trouble to show her past with shidou or put so many flags of redeem, and would have simply created a wescott 2.0.
Old 2018-03-24, 10:49   Link #17795
tuckersister

I feel like Reine will play a part in helping Mio for some reason.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-24, 15:50   Link #17796
shadowarc

I think Shidou going to have a mental confrontation with Shinji (made of his memories as Takamiya Shinji) in the next volume while conquering Reine/Mio. There'll be a whole "I am you and you are me" scene and he'll be complete and make Reine/Mio fall for him all over again. Then, all that's left is a confrontation with Isaac again.

On a side note, assuming Shidou regains all his memories as Shinji, how do you think he'll take having his former friend being his (adoptive) father with his daughter Kotori being his (adoptive) little sister/harem member?
shadowarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-24, 16:27   Link #17797
Mizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowarc View Post
I think Shidou going to have a mental confrontation with Shinji (made of his memories as Takamiya Shinji) in the next volume while conquering Reine/Mio. There'll be a whole "I am you and you are me" scene and he'll be complete and make Reine/Mio fall for him all over again. Then, all that's left is a confrontation with Isaac again.

On a side note, assuming Shidou regains all his memories as Shinji, how do you think he'll take having his former friend being his (adoptive) father with his daughter Kotori being his (adoptive) little sister/harem member?
quit sure that shidou regained them all in vol 18 well at least from what spoilers say unless i messing something.
DAL is almost ending and as i heard tachibana made contract for 10 volumes so probably 20 will be final so the whole shido and shinji meh won't matter (MC is the type that like meh i save everyone anything els doesn't matter) so no no drama for our MC kek , but i still can't just find vols 19 and 20 enough to fix everything . 22 would be PERFECT to fix everything , how shidou going to seal kurumi ?? kurumi only agreed on the condition if he goes back on time ... 30 years and fix everything , but doing so will erase both tohka and Mio and the current shidou ..i means tachibana BRAVO u made it so complicated ...
Old 2018-03-24, 21:44   Link #17798
Dark Rose Princess
Lost in an Elegy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowarc View Post

He and Mana completely regain all of their memories in Volume 18.

Letting Go
Old 2018-03-25, 06:27   Link #17799
Mizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos Entity View Post
He and Mana completely regain all of their memories in Volume 18.
only shido , mana get them back but shin went back in time so she lost them again......

got this from baidu and a kind soul translate it to me thanks
Spoiler for Mio / shin:

Last edited by LKK; 2018-03-26 at 09:25. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use the Edit button instead.
Old 2018-03-25, 07:26   Link #17800
tuckersister

Again further proof that Shido will meet Shinji in his mind and come up with a solution to how to handle Mio/Reine.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, angelic spirits, antiheroine, comedy, drama, fake harem, fantasia bunko, harem, light novel, open ending, possible true harem, romance, science fiction, seinen, shounen, time travel, tragedy