1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-31, 15:53   Link #61
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Well I suggest you read the alternate path, where Rem accepts Subaru's proposal and do run's away with him.
I will eventually when the anime ends, but Aohige already made me think (correctly) about the answer
Old 2016-07-31, 15:53   Link #62
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

WHY DID YOU REJECT REM?

Rem's the best girl for you. You have barely spent any time with Emilia!
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 15:57   Link #63
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Anyway, not going to waste more time on you since you can't even reply to what is already an aswer to your own issue with Subaru.
Meh, you haven't gotten my issue at all, but since you in your hubris think yourself above the need to actually go in-depth on certain issues that do not pertain to your world view it's obviously not necessary for me to reformulate my issue with Subaru at the end, which, again, is an issue with the attitude related to the rhetorical formulation of the issue.
Old 2016-07-31, 16:01   Link #64
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
WHY DID YOU REJECT REM?

Rem's the best girl for you. You have barely spent any time with Emilia!
Um he spent a month and a half with Emilia, her and manison residents. Rem herself has own spent 3 days with him in after the Royal Election ceremony in realtime and most of that was either sparing with Wilhelm or get treated by Felix, before the appearnace of the White Whale and the Witch Cult. So despite how the episide might seen to you it's wasn't large amount of time at all. The incident at palace was still fresh.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 16:03   Link #65
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Wow. That was... Just... Wow.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 16:10   Link #66
Wandering Soul

Quote:
I have a doubt about what you said, the scene with Rem and Subaru is part of the original story or White Fox added some material from that alternative world?
What part do you doubt? This entire episode was canon, he's just saying that the author wrote a non canon side story that shows what would have happened if Rem left with Subaru and focuses on their new life. No part of these alternate chapters were adapted here.
Old 2016-07-31, 16:13   Link #67
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I have a doubt about what you said, the scene with Rem and Subaru is part of the original story or White Fox added some material from that alternative world?
No, I'm saying that the author also wrote a "what if" storyline that splits off from half-way this episode/chapter.
This episode is a 100% accurate adaptation of the LN version.
Old 2016-07-31, 16:17   Link #68
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Um he spent a month and a half with Emilia, her and manison residents. Rem herself has own spent 3 days with him in after the Royal Election ceremony in realtime and most of that was either sparing with Wilhelm or get treated by Felix, before the appearnace of the White Whale and the Witch Cult. So despite how the episide might seen to you it's wasn't large amount of time at all. The incident at palace was still fresh.
Time = screen time.

Emilia, outside of the first arc, barely made any appearance. Rem's there to help him move forward. Emilia had a nice lap scene. Rem and the MC got to endure the harsh trial together.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 16:17   Link #69
Xical
Phantom User

There are so many ways to shift focus from Rem to Emilia, the only problems is, each way is more cruel than the last as we explore those paths.
As a side note, is implied Puck met Stella in the past? (when sloth tried to kill Puck)
Old 2016-07-31, 16:20   Link #70
moridin84
Custom User Title

Wow, that episode sure was something.

----

There were a lot of things but Rem's "I thought about it" when Subaru suggested running away was really sweet. She had the whole thing mapped out so it's not she thought of it just then, it's clearly something she fantasized about.

Subura rejecting Rem directly might seem a bit harsh but it's better to properly answer a confession then leave things vague. Rem already knew anyway but it's better than Subaru stated it clearly and they both understand what their relationship is. Especially since he really does care and treasure Rem. It's would be very easy for Rem to misinterpret Subaru's feelings.

In regards to those people complaining that Emilia is just a plot device... well yeah to a degree she is. I think she had a certain amount of development as well, though. In any case, I think you guys at just mad at Emilia because she wrecks the Subaru X Rem ship. That's not very mature.

The first of Subaru's "sins" as proclaimed by Puck was that Subaru broke his promise to Emilia when he promised not to come to the meeting. He claimed it was more serious than Subaru realized. Thinking about it, I don't think that Puck actually talked about Subaru after that happened.

----

I recommend people put any detailed comments about Subaru X Rem into the Rem character discussion page.

[EDIT]
Oh and another thing. It seems like Subaru half forgot about the fact that he saved Rem in the last arc. Part of it I'm sure is that he with all the suffering and death in this arc, he can only see his failures. I'm wondering though, whether part of it is that's he's actually half-confused about that "really" happen in the last arc. Everyone but the last route was reset but I wonder if he remembers which memories were in the BAD END routes and which were in the last.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 16:26   Link #71
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Time = screen time.

Emilia, outside of the first arc, barely made any appearance. Rem's there to help him move forward. Emilia had a nice lap scene. Rem and the MC got to endure the harsh trial together.
She plenty of screentime with episodes 10, 11, 14-16 having any signficant absences for plot reasons.

That doesn't make much sense anyway. The in-unverse time is independent of screentime.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 16:29   Link #72
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
[EDIT]
Oh and another thing. It seems like Subaru half forgot about the fact that he saved Rem in the last arc. Part of it I'm sure is that he with all the suffering and death in this arc, he can only see his failures. I'm wondering though, whether part of it is that's he's actually half-confused about that "really" happen in the last arc. Everyone but the last route was reset but I wonder if he remembers which memories were in the BAD END routes and which were in the last.
He didn't forget. He just didn't know how damn cool and heroic he looked to Rem.
Old 2016-07-31, 16:34   Link #73
Jaden

Pretty bold to devote the whole episode to the two like that. But I can't argue with the results. Faith in Subaru is completely restored.

Before I was saying Subaru should abuse his power to get through this, but now I find myself hoping he'll somehow make it to the next checkpoint without dying, so that this Rem doesn't get reset. If she's reset, we will again be teased by the idea of shipping her with Subaru...when really, her position as a supporting actor should be established now.
Old 2016-07-31, 16:37   Link #74
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

I won't spoil any further you guys, but because of this episode Rem holds a special place in Subaru's heart, fight on Rem fans!
Rem is angeliiiic
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 16:45   Link #75
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Fucking finally...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 16:58   Link #76
moridin84
Custom User Title

I think that to a certain extent, Subaru is working hard to save Emilia because he's been working hard to save Emilia. He can't really stop without giving up like he tried in this episode.

Anyway, the story hinges on Subaru trying to save Emilia. And that only way that is believable if he at least thinks he's in love with her.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 17:26   Link #77
Mangonel

Well, this was refreshing.

The Remship needs to remember she turned down his request to run away together first! Although, it goes without saying any red-blooded male would be hard pressed to turn down such a display of devotion. Harem ending? Emilia definitely needs to step up her game after this. Super-kindness only gets so many points.

I don't think its fair for Subaru to lose extra faith for the promise. Everyone knows hes a foreigner so how would he know promises are extra special to Spirit Artes users? Subaru ending up making an ass of himself at court is 60/40 Emilia's fault imo. If she'd simply respected his wish to help in some way and given him something to do or otherwise gave him a better explanation than 'just don't' the whole mess would likely have been avoided.

That said, I really, really, really hope this conversation with Rem ends up in the next 'checkpoint'. It really makes Subaru's relationships one-sided if the true-path's never keep the meaningful times where he breaks down and needs help. Part of the issue with his relationship with Emilia is hes basically been flawless up till now from her POV.

Subaru finally realizes hes not in a game in this world. Hes not the protagonist leveling up to beat the big bad. Hes just as worthless here as he was being a NEET IRL. I have my hopes up for a new approach to solving the current crises next ep. that hopefully keeps the Rem-talk in the true/final timeline.

Edit:
Also, why does Emilia have a destroy the world if I die pact with Puck? I wonder if this is something Subaru can ask about when he gets the next opportunity and whether or not the curse'll let him and if it does what would be Puck/Lia's reaction to his knowing. I suspect Puck might be able to pick up on Subaru's curse in that case.

Last edited by Mangonel; 2016-07-31 at 17:38.
Mangonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 18:02   Link #78
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

That's a quality 10 straight to my feels.
Old 2016-07-31, 18:24   Link #79
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

How could an episode be so absolutely breathtakingly beautiful and cathartic, yet at the same time so heartrendingly painful? I kinda saw this coming, Subaru has stated numerous times before that Emilia is his endgame and that he's willing to jump through every fiery hoop in his way in order to be by her side, but it didn't stop the pain from the blow. At the same time, Rem absolutely takes the prize for best girl in this show and this episode just reinforces that; Rem's sheer level of love, dedication and patience is second to none and I absolutely adore her for that. The emotional side of me just wishes she could be the main heroine.

This episode reminded me a lot of a certain amazing arc in Muv-Luv Alternative. I love scenes like this where characters stand together dramatically and let go all of their emotions in the most powerful way, particularly when it's as well-done as this.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 18:32   Link #80
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
This episode reminded me a lot of a certain amazing arc in Muv-Luv Alternative. I love scenes like this where characters stand together dramatically and let go all of their emotions in the most powerful way, particularly when it's as well-done as this.
Now that you mentioned it, it does kinda remind me of Meiya/Sumika situation from AL-verse.