AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-09-28, 23:32   Link #1
Alexus_Z3
new to gunpla

Anyone got their Xbox live account hacked lately?

So basically I got home some days ago and ding ding I got an email stated that I just bought 6000 ms points. And this is totally bs since since I haven't played my Xbox for quite sometime. Called ms for it and then they said they would
investigate it blah blah. Up until today still got no news from them. I tell my friend about it and they also have similiar cases.

so anyone else?

Update:

LOL a little bit update on my story

After few weeks with no news or update from MS ( I even almost forget about it) I got a phone call from this lovely lady that seems really understand about the problem. She put alot emphasis on the word understanding - LOL

She also offer me 3 month live gold and had email it to me (something that's really useless for me since I won't be using it anyway). At that time I just got back so my brain didn't function really well. After some rest and nice little chat with the others I started to found it a little odd. I check some forum and walaa :

XBL accounts hacked to buy FIFA packs

The Consumerist: Xbox account hijacking on the increase

I Watched In Real Time As ID Thieves Spent My Money On Xbox Live

Xbox Live users suffering hacked accounts

LOL oh well

Last edited by Alexus_Z3; 2011-10-14 at 13:48.
Alexus_Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 23:39   Link #2
Asuras
Dictadere~!

O.o

Better check my email.
Old 2011-09-28, 23:43   Link #3
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

This is the glory of having a PS3 now

But yeah, I hope it doesn't hack very old accounts or else I'm in trouble since I don't have my Xbox 360 anymore.
Old 2011-09-28, 23:46   Link #4
Ardi220288
Rooaaarrrr

I experience this myself. Best course of action is (if you got credit card on it) to call your bank immediately. They usually have some kind of protection for this kind of thing and they have the incentive to call ms to solve it immediately.

You can read this forum. Many of them got their account breached lately. There're also some other similiar thread in there, just searched for it.

Hopes it help.
Ardi220288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 23:55   Link #5
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

This is the third such case of this I've read about today. Seems like someone got account details of a lot of XBL users somehow.

Unless you're like, cross posting from the Escapist forums.
Old 2011-09-29, 00:10   Link #6
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'd recommend not using credit cards with Microsoft, it's nothing but trouble. Buy your LIVE cards from the stores, and buy points when you need to in the amounts you need. Mine hasn't done that to me, but hopefully you find out what's going on.
Old 2011-09-29, 00:15   Link #7
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post

But yeah, I hope it doesn't hack very old accounts or else I'm in trouble since I don't have my Xbox 360 anymore.
Are you being sarcastic or do you not know what happened back in April when SONY had to shut down the PSN for some time because it got hacked and presumably the information of millions of users were compromised.

Though they did say "sorry, our bad" by giving out free games...hmmm, how abouts it MS?

I also agree with papermario. Dont use a credit card if you dont have to, its just safer if you buy the point cards. And yes, I know some people cant find them in stores so they'd rather by points with their credit card rather then using a credit card to order point cards online. Cause thats just kinda silly in a way.
Old 2011-09-29, 00:59   Link #8
Alexus_Z3
new to gunpla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi220288 View Post
I experience this myself. Best course of action is (if you got credit card on it) to call your bank immediately. They usually have some kind of protection for this kind of thing and they have the incentive to call ms to solve it immediately.

You can read this forum. Many of them got their account breached lately. There're also some other similiar thread in there, just searched for it.

Hopes it help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
This is the third such case of this I've read about today. Seems like someone got account details of a lot of XBL users somehow.

Unless you're like, cross posting from the Escapist forums.

I had both PS3 and 360.

@Mr Hat and Clogs. can you gives me the link? any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

@Ardi I just manage to read it and oh wow there are so many of them. why there is no news anywhere on this?

Anyway I'm going to log out now to sort this thing out.
Old 2011-09-29, 01:06   Link #9
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Calling MS isn't gonna do anything ; They can't/won't refund you. Call your credit card company/bank and they will close the card, as well as investigate it and you will get refunded.
Old 2011-09-29, 01:08   Link #10
Mr Hat and Clogs

Here you go.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/foru...ox-Live-Hacked

Even if you have really old account I'd check it, since one of those guys mentioned his account hadn't been used in something like 6 months or more.

MS can refund you, you just have to be persistent. But yeah, your bank can dispute/reverse the charges.
Old 2011-09-29, 01:18   Link #11
Ardi220288
Rooaaarrrr

This one even more scary, someone actually called him. Grrrr! Someone stole my XBL gamertag
Ardi220288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 03:35   Link #12
Alexus_Z3
new to gunpla

Ahahahahahaha haaaaa.....

So I went to the bank today. I explain to them what happen. They immediately issue me a new card and refund my money. I asked them shouldn't they wait for MS first? They said no need (makes me wonder if similiar case had happen before...) and that's it.

I was naive to actually wait ms for this.......

Oh well, I rarely use my xbox anyway.
Old 2011-09-29, 03:45   Link #13
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Yeah, another instance of Microsoft's incompetence with simple customer service was when my roommate didn't buy XBOX LIVE for a year, but had his card on his account. He phoned in early on and told them that he'd be cancelling that card overall very soon, and they should be aware of this so they don't question what's happened later on. He also asked to be taken off of the auto-subscribe list, and everything was acknowledged by the representative.

A year later, and he's got a nice, steady job again. Since he missed playing online, he signs on his new card and finds out that it won't let him do anything. Calling Microsoft, they tell him that when they tried to renew his subscription the card wouldn't go through. They claimed he had a free year of LIVE, and now had to pay for 2 years worth ($120+tax) to regain his account. Every single step he took had actually been neglected and they cheated him. As mentioned, they claimed he had a free year of LIVE- I was there when he found out his LIVE wasn't connecting anymore because of expiration. From that point on, Gold member status was revoked and he couldn't play online.

Went off on a different tangent there, but I just wanted to let everyone know that Microsoft doesn't really care about what you have to say once something has happened. If you read the fine print in the very well hidden terms, you'll see lots of stuff you won't like.

And of course, I hate being biased, so I'll straight up say that all companies have some serious problems. Sony's major shutdown a bit back wasn't their fault, but talk about a lack of care for their customers by leaving their network of information so unprotected. They apologized and compensated everyone, and that was nice. However, these are people's credit cards we're talking about here- the information that once stolen, could throw a person into lifelong debt within moments. Nintendo's probably done best for protection and service, but of course, their internet play is generally quite awkward and you'll still run into those people who won't take the extra steps to help you fix your problem. "I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do" should never be a valid response for when you call their lines.

[EDIT] Oh good, it sounds like you remedied your situation. That's the nice thing with credit cards- insurance. Of course, the flip side of this is that you always carry the risk of credit cards and debt with you. That's why I love my Advantage Card- works wherever a credit card does, but there has to be money in my account in order for it to be completed. Anyways, good on you, glad to hear everything worked out well.
Old 2011-09-29, 03:51   Link #14
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Yeah sure, it wasn't Sony's fault for having like, no protection over any customer related information at all. Same goes for their servers. Of course it's their fault if they leave it THAT vulnerable.
Old 2011-09-29, 04:16   Link #15
Mr Hat and Clogs

I will say from what I remember of it (from about 4 yars ago now) and what I've heard people talking about it recently that XBL's account subscription system is utterly unintuitive and retarded. Seriously, having to call up to make account changes is completely stupid. That and it sounds like they don't charge upfront for the sub period like most other companies - or they truly are stupid and let his account continue without payment, which is their fault not his. Also being unable to remove CC information from your account in a large part of the world unless you put another CC in is crippling and I'd say it's almost hostile against customers by providing barriers for them to get out of the service.
Old 2011-09-29, 04:28   Link #16
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Yeah sure, it wasn't Sony's fault for having like, no protection over any customer related information at all. Same goes for their servers. Of course it's their fault if they leave it THAT vulnerable.
Well y'know, I wasn't disagreeing or anything here, I thought it was retarded too. I guess I shouldn't have used the direct words "it wasn't their fault", but what I meant was that the server crashing wasn't directly caused by them. Still yeah, information being thrown around and such. That's pretty scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I will say from what I remember of it (from about 4 yars ago now) and what I've heard people talking about it recently that XBL's account subscription system is utterly unintuitive and retarded. Seriously, having to call up to make account changes is completely stupid. That and it sounds like they don't charge upfront for the sub period like most other companies - or they truly are stupid and let his account continue without payment, which is their fault not his. Also being unable to remove CC information from your account in a large part of the world unless you put another CC in is crippling and I'd say it's almost hostile against customers by providing barriers for them to get out of the service.
Ugh, I can't even begin to describe how much of a pain that is. The worst part is that on the site you can cancel a card if you have a new one to replace it, but even then you'll never know if it's erased for good. You gotta phone up the company and triple check that the card isn't linked to your account, otherwise, good bye account and hello fees. Even in business, credit cards are what can instantly break a person, so they should never force you to do anything with them that you're uncomfortable with. Microsoft really needs to get their heads in the game here.
Old 2011-09-29, 04:37   Link #17
Mr Hat and Clogs

That was one of the reasons I canceled my account however many years ago it was and never went back. Outside of not being able to use a KB+Mouse on a console that was pretty much the main reason I never got into XBL or PSN, and still couldn't care too all these years later. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not that it matters anyway since my xbox is on the other side of the country anyway. /shakefist

Maybe I'll buy a PS3, try something different, since they are practically giving them away now-a-days.
Old 2011-09-29, 05:10   Link #18
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Ah yes. I personally love how squabbles exist between XBOX and PS3 users. All consoles have their faults and it's entertaining to see how people try to justify how one console is superior, without considering the faults that their beloved system carries.

Which is exactly why I own multiple consoles across multiple companies. Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, and the list goes on and on for the older consoles. I like XBOX because it offers what I believe to be an easier interface with more demos and faster downloads/installs. With PS3 I like the free online service along with the wider range of my preferred genre of JRPGs. It also is a lot quieter and offers a blu-ray player along with a wider range of supported media. Blu-ray disk for games means that they'll add more features too.

Just stuff like that. I hate taking sides- gaming should be what you enjoy, and nobody has any right to tell you otherwise. Hell, you could love the notoriously bad consoles like the Jaguar, Virtual Boy, etc., but who's to say you can't like them?

As I mentioned, PS3's pretty good for enhanced XBOX titles, JRPGs and the such. The controller takes a little bit to get used to, but yeah, here in Canada 160 GB slim models are being sold for $250 new. Quite a good deal, I'd say.
Old 2011-09-29, 07:08   Link #19
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so it's been spread to here eh

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 16:35   Link #20
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinku no kage View Post
Are you being sarcastic or do you not know what happened back in April when SONY had to shut down the PSN for some time because it got hacked and presumably the information of millions of users were compromised.

Though they did say "sorry, our bad" by giving out free games...hmmm, how abouts it MS?
Cant forget what happened in April because my family members were raging over the lack of PSN where they indulged themselves in Call of Duty: Black Ops everyday. Did give me freedom to download things I need while they just sat down and did nothing but sleep and watch T.V. though. But hacking in terms of PS3 only got the PSN shut down, Xbox 360 is getting people hacked in terms of them spending money for points. Which poison do you prefer?