AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-07-05, 09:27   Link #41
Peanutbutter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
The fuzzy feels. Need to get to Tsumugi's voice, especially how she calls Otou-san. I'm down for more, if only for the (possibly?/potentially) forbidden student/teacher ship.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 09:46   Link #42
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Very hard. I rarely have the time and/or energy to cook for myself, especially as I've never been a "kitchen person". This dad is an overworked teacher (who, let's not forget, is still pulling himself together after his wife's death) who also has to take care of a small kid with lots of energy, I find it pretty believable that he simply doesn't have enough energy or time left to cook.

Generally I think the set-up is pretty believable, which is why I'm side-eyeing the whole Kotori's-crush-on-Kouhei subplot. On her own Kotori is fine, even having a crush on a teacher is fine, but I can't help finding the whole "let's go to your home and make food together" angle fairly creepy even though it was probably not meant to be.
I smiled at Kotori's suggestion thinking how it sounds like a proposal but I didn't see her blushing as a crush on him or anything and it's not like I have any problem if that was the case nor find it weird. The only problem I have with that scene was how they were only eating carb.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 09:58   Link #43
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
The fuzzy feels. Need to get to Tsumugi's voice, especially how she calls Otou-san. I'm down for more, if only for the (possibly?/potentially) forbidden student/teacher ship.
that is what i could hate, not because of the forbbiden teacher x student but how they dinamic is worked, he was more like "a father" to help her with her loniless since she is in a situation almost like tsumugi, she have only one "parant" in her case mother but which unlike tsumugi her mother is your typical "hard work" japanese mind which prefer to pass more time working than with her children resulting in her being alone most of the time as we see, then the teacher come to help her with that loniless.

it's something i really hate when we have a chance to have a good dinamic and it is wasted with unecesserary "romance" specially when is the typical old male with young girl, why aways must be a "young high school girl???, why can't be a university or something like that???? aways must be a old guy with young girl cliche... this one of the cliches which annoye me somethimes i rate would prefer to see him with her mother or something like that than with her, it's not like i don't like her but i feel it's just more a "forced romance" for the sake of the old guy get his "young waifus".
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 11:15   Link #44
grecefar
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blue Notes Blues
looking foward to this anime, love the first chapter and had me wanting for more. I wouldn't mind the student/teacher relatioship if they do it right.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 11:44   Link #45
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 27
Adored the first episode. It was great. My favorite parts were how you could see that Tsumugi mentioning her mother utterly destroyed her father, and how he doesn't really show an overabundant amount of emotion... unless his daughter's involved, namely at the end when that was likely the first time in a long while that she genuinely enjoyed what she was eating. I'm a wuss, so I teared up.

As for some posts I saw talking about how he couldn't have made the effort to cook something better/take up learning how to cook of his own volition... Depression, stress, and exhaustion do things to a person. I'm not a parent, I've never lost a loved one, and I'm not a teacher. But I have had depression and stress affect my health negatively to the point that doing ANYTHING, let alone cooking for yourself (or even enjoying a decent meal), was incredibly difficult. Everyone handles that sort of pain differently. So I can kind of get where Tsumugi's dad is coming from, to an extent.
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 12:40   Link #46
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Try being a young single parent who has zero knowledge on cooking.
Don't the Japanese have home economics classes? That would mean he has a lot more formal training for it than I do, and I can boil an egg just fine. Or pasta, or sausages. I can operate a rice cooker. I understand that peeling vegetables can be a chore, but modern life is full of convenience. Including frozen, already peeled and cut vegetables, for sale at the supermarket. Really, lack of culinary knowledge's in no way an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
looking foward to this anime, love the first chapter and had me wanting for more. I wouldn't mind the student/teacher relatioship if they do it right.
A lonely, vulnerable girl getting with an older man who's also her teacher? How do they get something like that "right"?

(Though there is the Ancient Magus' bride...)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 13:02   Link #47
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Don't the Japanese have home economics classes? That would mean he has a lot more formal training for it than I do, and I can boil an egg just fine. Or pasta, or sausages. I can operate a rice cooker. I understand that peeling vegetables can be a chore, but modern life is full of convenience. Including frozen, already peeled and cut vegetables, for sale at the supermarket. Really, lack of culinary knowledge's in no way an excuse.
Maybe he's one of those people who can burn water? There are some people that no matter how many classes they take, just can't cook. They just have absolutely no talent for it.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 17:47   Link #48
Draco Spirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Man, despite the adorable little girl, this show was pretty heavy going. It's pretty obvious the father is struggling to hold it together, but pushing through to secure a happy future for his daughter.

I think I'll give this another episode or two at least and see were it's going.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 18:29   Link #49
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
Maybe the excuse is that he is still in mourning or maybe he is busy or that he can't cook but I think the core reason may be that he doesn't care much for food. Food to him may be just something to fill up the stomach and he doesn't understand the concept of spending a lot of time making delicious food. Reason why it tasted bad when he made for his daughter. He didn't put a lot of effort into it. And he didn't spend much time thinking about it. The scene at the diner showed the girl making pot rice. It's just pot rice but there were a few procedures involved and it took a bit of time. He sat through that and maybe realized something. And the important thing is after all that efforts at the end the people who ate it found it delicious. I think he then started to understand the importance of taking time out making delicious food.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 20:17   Link #50
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Try being a young single parent who has zero knowledge on cooking.
He wouldn't be a single parent for long. Child Protective Services would have yanked that kid out of the home. You don't leave a 6 year old home alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Don't the Japanese have home economics classes? That would mean he has a lot more formal training for it than I do, and I can boil an egg just fine. Or pasta, or sausages. I can operate a rice cooker. I understand that peeling vegetables can be a chore, but modern life is full of convenience. Including frozen, already peeled and cut vegetables, for sale at the supermarket. Really, lack of culinary knowledge's in no way an excuse.
Exactly. The supermarket has lots of variations of frozen vegetables that you can microwave and boil. Meals that can be microwaved. No excuse for dad other than he just didn't view food as a way to socialize with his daughter. Just something to consume. Texture and taste matter more to kids.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
A lonely, vulnerable girl getting with an older man who's also her teacher? How do they get something like that "right"?

(Though there is the Ancient Magus' bride...)
The cynic in me was snickering when she invited them over to cook and eat meals with her.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 21:58   Link #51
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Exactly. The supermarket has lots of variations of frozen vegetables that you can microwave and boil. Meals that can be microwaved. No excuse for dad other than he just didn't view food as a way to socialize with his daughter. Just something to consume. Texture and taste matter more to kids.
Actually, the food dad gives to his daughter daily is microwaved meals(bento) from supermarket. It actually taste pretty good IMO, and nutrition wise, it's actually better than if you cook yourself for 1 portion with limited cooking skill(because you sometimes will not bother cooking vegetables for example, or red food for the vitamin A)

I can understand why the father choose microwaved meal for her daughter. He's not good at cooking(remember, he did try to cook once and his daughter didn't like it), probably don't have time to prepare food with full nutrition(children need more complete nutrition than adult), and he's clearly overworked(not unusual for a highschool teacher, not to mention the "not too good" salary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Don't the Japanese have home economics classes? That would mean he has a lot more formal training for it than I do, and I can boil an egg just fine. Or pasta, or sausages. I can operate a rice cooker. I understand that peeling vegetables can be a chore, but modern life is full of convenience. Including frozen, already peeled and cut vegetables, for sale at the supermarket. Really, lack of culinary knowledge's in no way an excuse.
But he did try to cook for his daughter once but his daughter doesn't like his cooking(watch again the scene with his fellow teacher). Plain boiled egg might be fine for adult, but children definitely won't like it(not that the cute daughter will openly complain anyway). Same with simple pasta or simple roast chicken without a good sauce, especially for Japanese kid who is more used to rich taste in meals compared to Western kid, and too much sausages is not good for a children, not to mention the lack of green and red vegetables(vitamin C and A).

Nutrition wise, the packed lunch from supermarket in Japan actually really care about nutrition balance and could actually be better nutrition wise compared to home-cooked meals made without any thought about the nutrition They taste pretty good too, although I do agree they lack that warmth from a good home-cooked meals.
__________________
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 01:45   Link #52
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Actually, the food dad gives to his daughter daily is microwaved meals(bento) from supermarket. It actually taste pretty good IMO,
The daughter doesn't think so. I don't think much of microwaved old rice, either. Considering how she reacted to plain rice, the man should really get a rice cooker and use it. It's not hard.

Quote:
and nutrition wise, it's actually better than if you cook yourself for 1 portion with limited cooking skill(because you sometimes will not bother cooking vegetables for example, or red food for the vitamin A)

I can understand why the father choose microwaved meal for her daughter. He's not good at cooking(remember, he did try to cook once and his daughter didn't like it), probably don't have time to prepare food with full nutrition(children need more complete nutrition than adult), and he's clearly overworked(not unusual for a highschool teacher, not to mention the "not too good" salary)
That's just an excuse. Human beings aren't so delicate they need each and every meal to be carefully balanced.

Quote:
But he did try to cook for his daughter once but his daughter doesn't like his cooking(watch again the scene with his fellow teacher).
I saw that. I wonder if he didn't make the classic anime mistake of trying to cook above his level, adding whatever bullshit he thought fancy cooks used, instead of just making something plain and hard to fail.

Quote:
Plain boiled egg might be fine for adult, but children definitely won't like it(not that the cute daughter will openly complain anyway).
I liked boiled eggs just fine as a kid. In fact, I liked plainer food then than I do now.

Quote:
Same with simple pasta or simple roast chicken without a good sauce,
Yeah, it's called "ketchup". You can buy it in a store. Maybe add butter to the pasta, if you're feeling fancy.

Quote:
especially for Japanese kid who is more used to rich taste in meals compared to Western kid, and too much sausages is not good for a children, not to mention the lack of green and red vegetables(vitamin C and A).
Those were just examples. He doesn't have to restrict himself to that. He doesn't have to restrict himself to boiling, either.

Quote:
Nutrition wise, the packed lunch from supermarket in Japan actually really care about nutrition balance and could actually be better nutrition wise compared to home-cooked meals made without any thought about the nutrition They taste pretty good too, although I do agree they lack that warmth from a good home-cooked meals.
Am I the only one here who didn't grow up on gourmet meals prepared with a nutritionist? Children can be picky, but they're not that hard to feed. Especially if you don't go crazy trying to make them eat adult foods.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 02:33   Link #53
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Am I the only one here who didn't grow up on gourmet meals prepared with a nutritionist? Children can be picky, but they're not that hard to feed. Especially if you don't go crazy trying to make them eat adult foods.
You seem to completely miss the actual point.
1) When you're overworked and stressed there's no such thing as "it just takes five minutes to cook that food!" When you don't have the energy you don't have the energy. If you don't know how it feels not to have the energy for "just five minutes" of cooking for months on end, then be very glad.
1a) Just because you had home ec in school doesn't mean that you'll remember everything ~15 years later. (Chances are you weren't paying attention, anyway.)

2) They're all but slapping the viewer in the face with the food = (familial) warmth and connection allegory. This is not about "dad can't provide for his kid", it's about "dad and kid need to spend more time together to get over mom's death and reconnect with each other again, and cooking and eating delicious food together is a great way to do that."

(Also the dad had tried to cook once and going by the photo it was a disaster. End of story.)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2016-07-06 at 02:44.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 06:02   Link #54
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

I saw that. I wonder if he didn't make the classic anime mistake of trying to cook above his level, adding whatever bullshit he thought fancy cooks used, instead of just making something plain and hard to fail.
It looks like hamburg steak, which is a pretty simple dish to make(and something taught at school in Flying Witch). Maybe he's just that bad at cooking.
__________________
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 07:07   Link #55
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
It looks like hamburg steak, which is a pretty simple dish to make(and something taught at school in Flying Witch). Maybe he's just that bad at cooking.
My experience with that sort of thing is that it is, in fact, very easy to make something disgusting or just not to the taste of the eater. 100% beef patty. Can't go wrong with that. Just watch so you don't burn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
You seem to completely miss the actual point.
1) When you're overworked and stressed there's no such thing as "it just takes five minutes to cook that food!" When you don't have the energy you don't have the energy. If you don't know how it feels not to have the energy for "just five minutes" of cooking for months on end, then be very glad.
1a) Just because you had home ec in school doesn't mean that you'll remember everything ~15 years later. (Chances are you weren't paying attention, anyway.)
If he can't figure out how to boil water on his own, he's got an even more serious problem than it looks. My point was, you don't actually need classes or much knowledge to make something.

Quote:
2) They're all but slapping the viewer in the face with the food = (familial) warmth and connection allegory. This is not about "dad can't provide for his kid", it's about "dad and kid need to spend more time together to get over mom's death and reconnect with each other again, and cooking and eating delicious food together is a great way to do that."
Yeah, and I'm angry at him for not seeing it earlier.

Quote:
(Also the dad had tried to cook once and going by the photo it was a disaster. End of story.)
Fail once and give up instead of learning from the experience? Terrible life lesson.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 07:59   Link #56
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
He wouldn't be a single parent for long. Child Protective Services would have yanked that kid out of the home. You don't leave a 6 year old home alone.



Exactly. The supermarket has lots of variations of frozen vegetables that you can microwave and boil. Meals that can be microwaved. No excuse for dad other than he just didn't view food as a way to socialize with his daughter. Just something to consume. Texture and taste matter more to kids.




The cynic in me was snickering when she invited them over to cook and eat meals with her.
Holy crap you're stupid, didn't you watch the beginning of the show? that's what he's been doing using microwaved freezer foods on top of the bentos. How much do you remember from highschool? the only thing I remember are the faces of the chicks I banged.

And he didn't leave any child alone, he always had a sitter, meeting ran long and the sitter had to leave, that was one freaking night in 6 months, ffs, I hope you never breed.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 08:20   Link #57
The One Above God
Kamijou
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: I'm Everywhere
I die a little inside every time Tsumugi's mom is mentioned .
__________________

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 09:47   Link #58
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If he can't figure out how to boil water on his own, he's got an even more serious problem than it looks. My point was, you don't actually need classes or much knowledge to make something.
I like how you ignored my actual point, ie. being overworked and overstressed and 6 months after your wife has died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, and I'm angry at him for not seeing it earlier.
Yeah, how come this person is not completely and objectively aware of their issues and can't tackle them in time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Fail once and give up instead of learning from the experience? Terrible life lesson.
Again, you completely ignore the entire aspect of the guy basically falling asleep at his work desk.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 10:11   Link #59
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Personally none of us really have the right to criticize him unless we know exactly how hard it is to raise a child alone as a single father in a very exhausting job. It's obvious how hard he's trying, and honestly criticizing him for his failures despite his struggles is very disrespectful to other single fathers out there who are sincerely trying to do what's best for their children.

I mean I work with single father in my department as well, and never do I think I have the right to criticize him when he's clearly so hung up on juggling work with caring for his son (mother of the child left them).
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 10:37   Link #60
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 27
I'm going to quote myself, since it was apparently missed the first time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Depression, stress, and exhaustion do things to a person. I'm not a parent, I've never lost a loved one, and I'm not a teacher. But I have had depression and stress affect my health negatively to the point that doing ANYTHING, let alone cooking for yourself (or even enjoying a decent meal), was incredibly difficult. Everyone handles that sort of pain differently. So I can kind of get where Tsumugi's dad is coming from, to an extent.
It's SO damn easy to sit there and type up, "oh, he should teach himself this" or "it doesn't take much effort/energy/knowledge to make this" or "he should just do better". If you haven't been depressed, if you haven't lost your spouse, if you aren't a single parent (a single father, especially), and/or if you haven't been overexerting yourself on work to the point that there are nights you fall asleep at your desk... Then of course it seems strange to you. You don't and won't get it.

I think this episode did a fairly subtle yet basic example of "show, don't tell", and some people just entirely missed the damned point. Apparently when an anime doesn't blatantly spoon-feed information to the viewer, some people are just too simpleminded to understand the underlying framework.

(No pun intended.)
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.