Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-09-14, 23:08   Link #1
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
DotA (Defense of the Ancients)

Decided to make a thread about this game seeing as its popularity seems to be rising oh so quickly. Here is the wikipedias' description of the game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota. I've searched through the game forum and found out there has not been a thread directed to this game but rather at the entire WC3 game itself. So I decided to make a thread on this game and see how many people play and get their account info and such so we can get a IH or a Scrim. Also we can discuss gameplay and builds on different characters. If people seem to start coming into this thread and replying more I can also post up guides on certain characters made by other people of course.

My account is wanna.fanta. @ lordearon. Also if people use GGC my account is deculture1 if anyone wants to add me.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-14, 23:20   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Played it for a while. But mostly on lan heehe.
Good game...
Old 2008-09-14, 23:28   Link #3
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

It has been popular since way back...... I know I played this game for at least two years already (off and on)... Great game anyway and prepare to waste hours in your first few months into it.
Old 2008-09-14, 23:38   Link #4
KickHopper
[Never Give Up]
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to KickHopper Send a message via MSN to KickHopper
I used to play constantly, but now it's more on and off. It really depends when my cousins want to play or not.

Fun game though. My favorite hero is probably the Juggernaut or Meepo.

[R.I.P Lisa Chung : A Truly Remarkable Person.]
KickHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-14, 23:58   Link #5
P.G.
Rated P.G. Superstar

Send a message via MSN to P.G.
'was addicted to this game way back, most games I played were LANgames w/ my friends or some random people for betting lol.
Played online using Garena~
P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 08:22   Link #6
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Started years ago.. then stopped a year.. then played again... stopped again.. played again.. and stopped again.
It's fun, but you need a somewhat thick skin, regardless of public or inhouse games.
My favourite hero is the necrolyte. I'm more of a supporter than a killer so he fits pretty good.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 08:43   Link #7
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

I like using oddball heros like Pit Lord, Dark Seer and Alchemist.

Sephi calls them noob heros tho. D:
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 12:20   Link #8
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Still plays it. Its a good way to waste an hr or two when nothing else is happening. However pub games are getting more annoying as e-thug starts to flood the game...as long as you can ignore them I guess.
Old 2008-09-15, 14:05   Link #9
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Anyone play in Clan TDA inhouses on Azeroth?
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 14:31   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

Well you don't need a lot of reflex and combat tactics are simple on them too.
Meepos and Techies are what I call oddball heros. Matches with them are always full of lolz.

I like to play Mortred (Phantom Assasin) personally.
But would pretty much always play ar or sd though so w/e
Old 2008-09-15, 15:32   Link #11
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Meepos and Techies are what I call oddball heros. Matches with them are always full of lolz.
I knew I missed out someone.

Techie is a blast to use (pun intended). I can't micro well enough for Meepo tho.
Old 2008-09-15, 18:42   Link #12
Cinocard

Actually i think it's now that DotA population starts going down after 3 years?
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 18:47   Link #13
Mio
TL;DR
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Mio
Feel free to join up #dota on Rizon if you're looking fomr some IRC dota. Some of us have ggc/Garena but we mostly host with hamachi and listchecker.
Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 00:28   Link #14
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

And minus alchemist. Hes annoying and quite good, even after the nerfs hes still quite good.

Pitlord and dark seerer is crapy imo because they aren't really useful in endgames. Any of those two heroes would have to run for their money late in game when a rampaged troll runs towards them. Or any other good dps hero(razor/drow/sniper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayami
Feel free to join up #dota on Rizon if you're looking fomr some IRC dota. Some of us have ggc/Garena but we mostly host with hamachi and listchecker.
I might join when i got time. Is it Dota with fellow animesuki visitors or is that a special dota channel?
And where is the host from? Or whoever is usually hosting.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 00:48   Link #15
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
And minus alchemist. Hes annoying and quite good, even after the nerfs hes still quite good.

Pitlord and dark seerer is crapy imo because they aren't really useful in endgames. Any of those two heroes would have to run for their money late in game when a rampaged troll runs towards them. Or any other good dps hero(razor/drow/sniper).
I see your point, but that also applies to most int heros at late game. Dark Seer can replicate troll and other dps heros to haress them just to be annoying tho. :3
Old 2008-09-16, 01:13   Link #16
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
This custom map (not game, as the game is WC3) is worse than crack! I used to play a lot when Guinsoo was the last guy to take care of it. Right now the DotA scenes seems more professional, but less fun than before (IMO).
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 01:16   Link #17
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I see your point, but that also applies to most int heros at late game. Dark Seer can replicate troll and other dps heros to haress them just to be annoying tho. :3

Yes, if he can put a well placed wall and a well placed vacuum to do it.
However, the very presence of the wall of replica is always an annoyance even on late games.
I'm not a Dark Seer user so feel free to correct me.
Old 2008-09-16, 01:39   Link #18
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Pitlord and dark seerer is crapy imo because they aren't really useful in endgames.
Now that's just wrong about Dark Seer.

Last time I bothered to play Dota at all was when the Invoker FINALLY got toned down although I actually quit a few versions ago before the change to the Invoker happened; so unless they drastically changed the balance of many heroes in Dota, Dark Seer has (had) so much potential as a top-tier support, it isn't funny.

Unless they nerfed Dark Seer the last time I played, Dark Seer is great as support if you're more of a guy who loves to assist and rather than hero chase especially when you have great pushers, hero hunters and a good tank. Dark Seer's abilities make him very much adapt at a support role too. But it isn't impossible to get easy pick offs and give chase too considering how fast Dark Seer farms.

To truly understand how AMAZING of a farmer he is (or was), you have to realize the potency of Ion Shell. It's relatively cheap. Even with only 1 point into it, you can easily cast it like 6 times unlike the standard 1 or 2 cast nukes most heroes could only do in the early game. You also have to consider (again, barring changes since I last played) you can cast Ion Shell ON ENEMY units, even the hero units. Now why should you cast on enemy units rather than your own? Because the dmg per second is too godly.

Ion Shell

Surrounds a target with energized spellwork, creating a shield that causes damage per second to enemy units who come in contact with it. Lasts 15 seconds.

Level 1 - 30 damage per second
Level 2 - 45 damage per second
Level 3 - 60 damage per second
Level 4 - 75 damage per second

Cooldown: 15
Manacost: 60/80/100/120

Level 1: 60 mana, 15 sec cooldown.
Level 2: 80 mana, 15 sec cooldown.
Level 3: 100 mana, 15 sec cooldown.
Level 4: 120 mana, 15 sec cooldown.

That's 450 dmg total. Enough to get creep kills without the need to approach the creep for a last hit, AND Ion Shell has a relatively nice AOE. But it's not just the AOE. It's the fact when creeps are generally pushing against each other from opposing sides, they bunch up so closely, it's enough for Ion Shell to hit all creeps in its radius. The bad thing about casting Ion Shell on your units is that if you're faced against ranged heroes for example, they'll target the one with the shell and you'll waste a cast (if they're smart anyway). If you're Dark Seer and face melee heroes, all you need to do is cast ion shell on the enemy creep and watch how painful it is for them to pick off creeps for money.

But why is Ion Shell such a good farming skill? Not alone anyway.

Vacuum

Creates an abyss upon a chosen parameter, pulling in and damaging foes in the area.

Level 1 - 60 Damage. 300 AOE.
Level 2 - 120 Damage. 400 AOE.
Level 3 - 180 Damage. 500 AOE.
Level 4 - 240 Damage. 600 AOE.

Cooldown: 16
Manacost: 100/130/160/190

Level 1: 100 mana, 16 sec cooldown.
Level 2: 130 mana, 16 sec cooldown.
Level 3: 160 mana, 16 sec cooldown.
Level 4: 190 mana, 16 sec cooldown.

That's a huge AOE at level 7 or 8 along with a level 3 or 4 Ion Shell respectively. Imagine this. Creeps generally at the beginning of the game have like 550 hp. If you cast Ion Shell on yourself and then Vacuum all nearby enemy creeps around you (and your shield/Ion Shell), within seconds, you'll easily get most, if not, all creep kills. Ion Shell at level 3 or 4 can do 60 or 75 dmg per second respectively and lasts for 15 seconds total. So by level 7 or 8, can you not see how easily farming can be done with Dark Seer?

I'm not even going to mention the amount of insane money you'll make to get an early Sheep or Dagon. Nor do I have to elaborate what the combination of casting Ion Shell on your ally hero who's giving an enemy hero chase and casting Surge would do to eliminate runaway heroes for sure... All you need to know about Surge is that, for a few seconds, you'll gain speed as fast as getting a haste rune.

Surge

Floods a target with excess power giving it maximum speed for brief period of time.

Level 1 - Lasts 2 Seconds.
Level 2 - Lasts 3.5 Seconds.
Level 3 - Lasts 5.0 Seconds.
Level 4 - Lasts 6.5 Seconds.

Cooldown: 12/11/10/9
Manacost: 20/30/40/50

Level 1: 20 mana, 12 sec cooldown.
Level 2: 30 mana, 11 sec cooldown.
Level 3: 40 mana, 10 sec cooldown.
Level 4: 50 mana, 9 sec cooldown.

I know you meant no harm by saying Dark Seer is crap, but geez, the memories of me using him were so fun. Double Mirror Wall with refresher was fun too. Couldn't resist ranting.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 01:40   Link #19
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
This custom map (not game, as the game is WC3) is worse than crack! I used to play a lot when Guinsoo was the last guy to take care of it. Right now the DotA scenes seems more professional, but less fun than before (IMO).
Welcome to "E-Sport". This happens to all games and mods that are forced into prefessionality, and is a reason why i stopped several times. You can't have fun anymore without people bitching at you.
Be it in publics or inhouse. People will always moan about this and that, no matter even they're skilled or play even worse than yourself.

Creep denying, juking and holding back ones own creeps are only few of several "advanced" maneuvers yet, unless you are used to it, having to concentrate on them all the time ruins the purpose of the map = fun. Well for me, at least.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 01:50   Link #20
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
You also have to consider (again, barring changes since I last played) you can cast Ion Shell ON ENEMY units, even the hero units. Now why should you cast on enemy units rather than your own? Because the dmg per second is too godly.
You can cast on the enemy, but it won't damage the one you casted on, just those around him.

The reason why you would do that is as you said, smart range heros will kill the shelled creep, so you cast it on theirs instead.