AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-01, 16:48   Link #1
xMythycle

What game should I play?

Recently I don't really enjoy playing the games I used to play, and I really need a suggestion on what new type of game I should be trying. I used to play CoD:BO at competitive level but I have barely played any MW3, I also seem te be enjoying OoT for my 3DS much less then I used to like Zelda games. Now I'm looking into buying a (J)RPG which is a genre I haven't been into, but where should I start.

Games I consider myself:
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Tales of The Abyss
- Super Mario 3D Land
- The Last Story

I own a Wii, Ps3, Ps2, PSP and a 3DS so a game for any of these platforms would be okay...

I'm looking forward to your recommendations

Add my 3DS: 2793 - 1012 - 8861
Old 2012-02-01, 17:48   Link #2
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Persona 3 on PSP or PS2. One of the pinnacles of the genre. It might be a little rough if you haven't played any other JRPGs though. From your list, Tales of the Abyss is also good and fairly easy to get into. It has an action-oriented combat system also so it'd be less of a change from what you're used to.
Old 2012-02-01, 18:24   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I don't know about Persona 3 as a first RPG. The lack of control over the characters in your party can be a bit of a turn-off.

For RPGs, two major modern "lines" are Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei (which includes the Persona series). Both are quite different from each other, but games within each franchise tend to have similar styles (art, occasionally gameplay, storyline) and themes. Shin Megami tends to go for darker themes and heavily takes from occult and myths, whereas Final Fantasy is generally brighter and more... "fantasy."

I think it's hard to go wrong with Final Fantasy. If you can stomach the older graphics, Final Fantasy VII is pretty good. Final Fantasy VIII wasn't as well-loved, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (it was also my first Final Fantasy, and I think it left a very good impression on me). Final Fantasy IX got a bit more creative with the art style, but presented a good story and world setting. Final Fantasy X kicked the graphics up a notch and had a pretty nice world setting, but I don't think that its story was as strong as some of the others... I don't know that it would be good to start with this one. (I never got around to the others, excluding Final Fantasy III, which definitely had more of an "old school" feel.)

If you're more into science fiction, Xenosaga might not be a bad choice. There was an anime series made off of it, as well.
Old 2012-02-01, 18:39   Link #4
mecharobot

If you ask me Xenoblade and Valkyria Chronicles are the best JRPGs this gen. The first has a great amount of content (although a bit MMORPGish), while the latter is a bit more on the strategic side and is essentially a SRPG sub-genre game.

For PS2, I'd go with Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest VIII, Star Ocean 3 and maybe Kingdom Hearts. Dragon Quest VIII has a big open world and is more about the adventure than the story. FFX has a very focused story, but vast post game content. Battle system in both FFX and DQ VIII is completely turn based. Star Ocean is a bit of jack of all trades, with real time battle system and has an amazing amount of side stuff to do. Kingdom Hearts is a turn off for some, but it has its own charm and plays like an action game.

PSX has some nice games too, if you want to play them via PS2/3. FF 7-9, Xenogears and Legend of Dragoon are some to keep an eye on. Their battle systems haven't aged well, but the stories are great.
Old 2012-02-01, 18:39   Link #5
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I don't know about Persona 3 as a first RPG. The lack of control over the characters in your party can be a bit of a turn-off.

For RPGs, two major modern "lines" are Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei (which includes the Persona series). Both are quite different from each other, but games within each franchise tend to have similar styles (art, occasionally gameplay, storyline) and themes. Shin Megami tends to go for darker themes and heavily takes from occult and myths, whereas Final Fantasy is generally brighter and more... "fantasy."

I think it's hard to go wrong with Final Fantasy. If you can stomach the older graphics, Final Fantasy VII is pretty good. Final Fantasy VIII wasn't as well-loved, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (it was also my first Final Fantasy, and I think it left a very good impression on me). Final Fantasy IX got a bit more creative with the art style, but presented a good story and world setting. Final Fantasy X kicked the graphics up a notch and had a pretty nice world setting, but I don't think that its story was as strong as some of the others... I don't know that it would be good to start with this one. (I never got around to the others, excluding Final Fantasy III, which definitely had more of an "old school" feel.)

If you're more into science fiction, Xenosaga might not be a bad choice. There was an anime series made off of it, as well.
Well, I did mention that the game would be rough for a first timer, haha. However, in the PSP version, you do have full control over party members.

As far as Final Fantasy, I agree with the titles you listed but also want to mention that I would recommend strongly against anything after X. My opinions about XII and XIII aside (I could write an essay), they both feature unorthodox combat systems that I think would be more than a little intimidating to a first time RPG player.

Something important to note about Xenosaga also is that the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay is very high. I enjoyed that because the story was interesting but I can definitely see it as a turnoff to some.
Old 2012-02-01, 19:12   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

That is a good point.
Old 2012-02-02, 09:16   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...17#post3972117
Old 2012-02-02, 09:39   Link #8
xMythycle

This is exactly why I posted this here, there are way too much choices and I'm having a really hard time deciding. I think I'll go with Xenoblade, since I don't really want to buy games for my PSP anymore (Otherwise I'd be dragging that along with my 3DS), and I'll buy a pre X Final Fantasy. maybe I'll even pick up persona 3 cuz PS2 games generally aren't that expensive Thanks for the tips guys

Totally Off Topic: Ledgem, is your avatar from an anime/manga, because I have a Wallpaper with exactly the same girl and I love it

Old 2012-02-02, 09:50   Link #9
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

If you are looking for some good JRPG choices for your 3DS (as a beginner), then you should consider picking up Chrono Trigger DS and Suikoden Tierkreis.
Old 2012-02-02, 11:37   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMythycle View Post
I think I'll go with Xenoblade
As good a choice as any. I'm playing through it right now. Best JRPG I've played through in a long while. Huge plus is the Japanese VA option.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:01   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Totally Off Topic: Ledgem, is your avatar from an anime/manga, because I have a Wallpaper with exactly the same girl and I love it
This avatar is made from Touhou fan art. I haven't played the series so I don't know who the character is, but I probably took the image source from the same wallpaper that you're thinking of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
If you are looking for some good JRPG choices for your 3DS (as a beginner), then you should consider picking up Chrono Trigger DS and Suikoden Tierkreis.
Chrono Trigger was my very first RPG, and it stands out in my mind as being one of the best RPGs ever. I played it when I was much younger, though, so I don't know how well it would stand the test of time (an older mind and an expectation for flashier graphics/music). If you're OK with SNES graphics, I can highly recommend it, as well.

I've been trying to get Suikoden Tierkreis for a while now (looking for a cheap, used copy)... nice to see it get a recommendation here, I guess that means it's worthwhile!
Old 2012-02-02, 12:23   Link #12
xMythycle

Quote:
well, Chrono Trigger is very cheap secondhand so I'll be buying it and is Suikoden Tierkreis the english name too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
This avatar is made from Touhou fan art. I haven't played the series so I don't know who the character is, but I probably took the image source from the same wallpaper that you're thinking of
Thanks! That name keeps coming up, guess I'll need to investigate...

Old 2012-02-02, 12:25   Link #13
jedinat

Quote:
well, Chrono Trigger is very cheap secondhand so I'll be buying it and is Suikoden Tierkreis the english name too?
I'd definitely get DQIX over Suikoden Tierkreis...
Old 2012-02-02, 12:35   Link #14
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Yep, sure is. Though it may be rare/tough to find now.

@Jedinat; I wouldn't.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:49   Link #15
jedinat

Quote:
@Jedinat; I wouldn't.
Random battles, crappy VA with insipid story... VS no random battles, fairly impressive graphics, and insipid story... I'll take the latter. Also in DQIX your characters actually wear the weapons/armor you loot, which practically makes the game.
Old 2012-02-02, 13:00   Link #16
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Thanks! That name keeps coming up, guess I'll need to investigate...
Unless they made a variety of them, the Touhou series is a "bullet storm" (affectionally called "bullet hell") style of game. I find them a bit frustrating to play, although it's always a real pleasure to watch someone with skill working through them. It takes some major concentration, fine motor movement, and reaction timing.
Old 2012-02-02, 13:01   Link #17
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

@jedinat This thread isn't about what you'd take. It's a suggestions thread for the OP who is a beginner to JRPGs. The OP is perfectly capable of forming his/her own opinions without you shooting down other people's suggestions. Instead of making this a contest with list wars, how about recommending the OP try DQIX as well as Suikoden Tierkreis?

Lack of random battles is only a subjective advantage anyway. So is the fact that Suikoden Tierkreis has better characters (108 of them too!), better storyline, better music and faster/less turgid battles.
Old 2012-02-02, 13:26   Link #18
jedinat

Quote:
@jedinat This thread isn't about what you'd take. It's a suggestions thread for the OP who is a beginner to JRPGs. The OP is perfectly capable of forming his/her own opinions without you shooting down other people's suggestions. Instead of making this a contest with list wars, how about recommending the OP try DQIX as well as Suikoden Tierkreis?
Excuse me for making the kind of commentary I'd appreciate in my own thread looking for suggestions. When I ask for such advice I'm not looking for passive lists, I want to know what's better than what, lol.
Old 2012-02-02, 15:40   Link #19
xMythycle

seriously guys, you should both know that I greatly appreciate you giving your opinion at all, no matter which way. thanks

Old 2012-02-02, 18:12   Link #20
Sides

I would recommend Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (Wii) and Path of Radiance (GCN), if your Wii support Gamecube games. Both games have aged well and are challenging, especially Radiant Dawn. The FMV were done by production I.G. and still looks amazing.
Here is the thing, if your wii can play gamecube games there are some really good rpgs on it, like baten kaitos, skies of arcadia, tales of symphonia and paper mario.

Well the NDS and PSP were overloaded with various different JRPG and so many good ones to choose from. You have ports, sequels and experimental stuff.
The one game that sticks out is probably The World Ends with You, why because it was something new and is still unique. I can highly recommend it.

Let see PS3. Valkyria Chronicles is the one I would recommended. It plays like the original X-Com games but with a japanese touch, streamlined in some areas and expanded in others. IIRC it had dual audio track, japanese and english, which is probably worth mentioning.
Yakuza 3&4 are really good as well, but it is more like adventure game with RPG elements.
Resonance of Fate (PS3&360) also is a nice title with a fun battle system.

PS2 well too many to pick from.. grab what you can get?
Closed Thread

Tags
3ds, game, rpg, wii, zelda