AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 29 22.66%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 38.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 22.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 11.72%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-17, 11:08   Link #41
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
And this type of show should have a clear story progression because...?
What's the point in having an anime about a band if they only play for 20 seconds of the show? My real only worry is that this will just turn into a "let's obsess over a few cute things the characters did," type show.

Perhaps that is the direction it is going, in which case I will be disappointed, but I'll still watch I suppose. I have just been hoping this would be a very spinal-tap styled show in that it shows the humor of being in a band, rather than the crap you see in any other anime with high-school characters and re-using that material.

It's too early to make assumptions on the direction of the rest of the show of course, I just hope it stays original. I doubt it will go the route I was speculating it might go down, but there is a small chance, and that seems to be the way many people here are treating it.
Old 2009-04-17, 11:26   Link #42
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

An okay episode. I wish they could just quit beating around the bush and get on with the "band" element - that IS the series' selling point, right? This manga chapter didn't need to have an entire episode to itself.

Some funny stuff here and there. It was nice seeing Ritsu grappling Yui animooted, and the way they handled shots of Yui practicing the guitar made me think about the wrong things.

I'm a little worried about Yui, though. The manga makes her out to be the run-of-the-mill kind of moron, but the anime is moving towards why-is-she-in-high-school-and-is-she-housebroken? kinda moron. I'd like her to have a little dignity at the end of the series.

Mio can't seem to decide on what kind of character she is. Although funny in the manga, her rebound from the conversation about blood was a little too quick.

Other things to note:
- Ritsu... hmmm, feels more like she belongs in the athletics club.
- Missing parents syndrome. I wouldn't trust Yui with the house, but I guess it's because their other kid and neighbor are dependable.
- Mugi is just kinda hanging out there. Add another dimension to her, please.
- If Yui and Ui had a third sister, would her name be "U" or "I"?
Old 2009-04-17, 11:40   Link #43
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Mmm not bad...Not as good as the previous two, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Guess it felt alittle too Yui centric...Could probably say the same about the other two, but it atleast felt like the other girls weren't strictly background characters throughout those episodes.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-04-17, 11:49   Link #44
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Not as eventful compared to the last two episodes, so there really isn't much for me to comment on, not that I'm criticizing it or anything, as I still find the episode quite enjoyable.

Having read volume one of the manga, I have to say that in terms of padding out original stuff in order to make the pacing look natural when adapting a 4-koma manga, K-On has improved upon Lucky Star's success. Whereas Lucky Star may have sketches going from here to there, one hardly finds any pauses between the adaptation of one koma to the next in K-On.

Considering there's only 2 volumes out so far, they're doing quite good with the original scenes, so that only the first 3-4 chapters were covered. More than enough for a 1-cour anime.
Old 2009-04-17, 12:01   Link #45
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Whereas Lucky Star may have sketches going from here to there, one hardly finds any pauses between the adaptation of one koma to the next in K-On.
Probably so, but LS had Aya-chan, so we could cope with some extra scenes here and there, she's entertaining on her own.

I feel that animators seriously cut the fat from girls legs, and made them straighter...
I liked puffy bent legs in the first episode, it was cute and in Japan especially true to life.

Quote:
- If Yui and Ui had a third sister, would her name be "U" or "I"?
Totally "I". Fourth sister will remain nameless. Probably her name will be "???"
Old 2009-04-17, 12:03   Link #46
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
What's the point in having an anime about a band if they only play for 20 seconds of the show? My real only worry is that this will just turn into a "let's obsess over a few cute things the characters did," type show.
Well, this is a character oriented comedy before it is a music series. Are you familiar with the general format of this type of series. say, like in Minami ke, Hidamari sketch, et. al.? 'Obsessing ' (as you call it) over the little details of day to day life is part of the charm of these series. It is not that they are plotless, it is just that the plot takes a background sit and developing the general theme of the series and the characters takes the forefront.
Old 2009-04-17, 12:23   Link #47
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

I do enjoy those type of anime, but this show doesn't seem to come off immediately as that genre of anime at all. It really seems like it can't make up it's mind in that sense. I mean you look at the anime you mentioned and they have absolutely no real overarching plot, which is why they work like that. The characters are the sole "plot" to them. This has more to it than that.

Again, there are only 3 episodes out currently, so there's not much to judge this upon, but that's what I've observed.
Old 2009-04-17, 12:35   Link #48
Coruja

I don't get the hype surrounding Mio. She didn't do much for this episode... My favorite girl so far is Ritsu because she has such a wacky personality! Plus, she's the drummer! (I love drums) But each to its own, I guess. Maybe if I was a guy I'd like Mio better, since she's the pretty one, but I am not a guy, so...

And for some reason the snow scene reminded me of Remember11 (waking up in a cabin, etc) but I am sure the *real* reference is something totally different.

And I like the fact that this anime has no story/progression. Maybe it was advertised wrong. So far it's more of a slice-of-life and less of a musical-oriented anime. But I like it this way. Random animes without plot, such as this one and Lucky Star, are good for a change.

Pretty enjoyable episode, I am really liking this series so far! ^^
Old 2009-04-17, 12:57   Link #49
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

This has been the only episode with no story progression is the problem with saying that it is a plotless anime.
Old 2009-04-17, 12:57   Link #50
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
I don't get the hype surrounding Mio. She didn't do much for this episode...
....but she did. She tsuntsun-ed a fair bit this week to make up for her copious amount of deredere last week.
Old 2009-04-17, 12:59   Link #51
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Spoiler for Rant:

Tsumugi is just too adorable when she poured the tea till it overflows from the cup. MOE! *takes her home*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-04-17, 13:05   Link #52
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
linear equations
Those are quadratic equations. Linear equations result in line graph, while quadratic equations result in parabolic curves. God, what did you learn in school !
Old 2009-04-17, 13:32   Link #53
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
Those are quadratic equations. Linear equations result in line graph, while quadratic equations result in parabolic curves. God, what did you learn in school !
...The fact that anyone remembers this stuff astounds me. Of course, I haven't had anything to do any math more complicated than arithmatic in seven years, so my memory is rather rusty.
Old 2009-04-17, 13:33   Link #54
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
One word. Crap. I don't even remember the specific names of the topics, just methods, methods and methods that cannot be applied to daily life, nor are of any use to me when working in society. This is a result of voracious spoonfeeding, the students know how to do, but do not truly understand. That is what a professor told me during a university open house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
...The fact that anyone remembers this stuff astounds me. Of course, I haven't had anything to do any math more complicated than arithmatic in seven years, so my memory is rather rusty.
Try doing this everyday at extreme level for a period of 2-3 years. It sticks like glue to the head and won't come off. The only thing you forget is what they are called.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-04-17, 13:46   Link #55
Karnot
Banned

If you do anything IT-related more complicated than typing in Word - math is your lifeline.
Not that Yui could ever get anywhere with it...
Old 2009-04-17, 14:24   Link #56
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
If you do anything IT-related more complicated than typing in Word - math is your lifeline.
Not that Yui could ever get anywhere with it...
Does programming or playing with Maya 3D count? I find both hell lot easier than integration and differentiation.

Math is a universal language, even in music as it forms the basis of rhythm. Don't you know a perfect treble clef has a centre that is drawn to the golden ratio?

Back to the anime, it seems that Mio is becoming the goody-two-shoes girl. How she generates that much moe to attract males is.......interesting.

I would like to take her to a lab for some personal analysis.

Old 2009-04-17, 14:48   Link #57
aorta

What is the name of the manga on Yui's desk at 8:16?

There is another under that but you can't see the whole title.

Also what does the magazine cover under the manga say?

Spoiler for image:
Old 2009-04-17, 15:17   Link #58
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
I liked puffy bent legs in the first episode, it was cute and in Japan especially true to life.
Soooo... having fun ogling those school children over there in Japan? j/k

Quote:
Totally "I". Fourth sister will remain nameless. Probably her name will be "???"
Or they'd do it in reverse. A fourth sister would be "Yu".

Also, looking at those little bits when the rest of the club is wondering what Yui's up to really tells us what they think about her.

Quote:
I did discrete mathematics for the last 3 years in university. I've forgotten everything, though :V
Your mileage will vary.
Old 2009-04-17, 15:40   Link #59
Skane
Anime Snark

If anybody were to ask me to explain Fourier Theorems to them now, I'll probably just give them an incredulous look and laugh heartily at their expense. Back in school, I could consistently use them without error and spent a lot of time tutoring people about it, but now? I can't remember a damn thing.

During the open house speech by my Polytechnic's Headmaster, he casually stated that realistically speaking, most of us would only end up using about 15% of what we learnt in school when we enter the working world.

With that in mind, he wanted us to not place too much importance on our subject matter, but to understand the importance of learning. How to continue learning on our own, and how to keep on learning when we start work.

Finding out how to troubleshoot that office printer? That's learning.

Knowing how to make two people work together despite their differences? That's learning too.

Discovering how to make that perfect dish as a restaurant cook? E-yup, learning.

It is impossible for them to teach everybody what would be relevant to them in their future, for to do so would require psychic powers to foresee their future fate, and quite possibly a colossal amount of learning material. What they can do however, is to teach them how to learn.

It's a lesson I took to heart.

Cheers.
Old 2009-04-17, 15:42   Link #60
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Does programming or playing with Maya 3D count? I find both hell lot easier than integration and differentiation.
I guess you havent advanced very far in the field, since doing things like 3D animation or FX pretty much requires moderate amount of math knowledge to get you anywhere. Going in this without math is like instantly tripling your workload and required time, and thats no good if you expect to be paid for your work. Those who do things faster and more efficient get all the jobs, like anywhere else.

Quote:
Soooo... having fun ogling those school children over there in Japan?
Dude, with the skirts length as it is - how do they expect people NOT to ogle ?
In Real Life (tm) they are at times even shorter than in the anime, its almost ridiculous. No wonder Japan has such rampant schoolgirl prostitution.
Closed Thread