AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-09-21, 20:50   Link #21
Warm Mist

The designs aren't something that fares well with my taste. But I'm really digging this ultra sparkly tone they're going for, and it seems they won't be cheap on the animation either.

The synopsis looks like something in need of a good script, since probably the dialogues are going to make or break the story. Are the novels good in that regard?
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 09:00   Link #22
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
New trailer:

They sure live a windy town don't they?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 09:04   Link #23
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
They sure live a windy town don't they?
They live in Super P.A Works Land where there's a constant stream of cherry blossoms, everything is clean and pristine, everyones super cheerful going to school for the day and there's a constant full bloom rainbow effect reflecting off everything. It makes their last major movie Colorful look..well.....less colorful by comparison.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 09:21   Link #24
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
They live in Super P.A Works Land Makoto Shinkai Land where there's a constant stream of cherry blossoms, everything is clean and pristine, everyones super cheerful super depressed going to school for the day and there's a constant full bloom rainbow effect reflecting off everything.
Fixed that for you
Old 2012-09-22, 11:26   Link #25
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Maybe I'm just crazy, but did they use a Cinema 4D render for that image?
Man, it brings back memories from the time when making signatures was popular.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 11:42   Link #26
kobester11

Funny,when I saw the trains, it reminded me of 5 cm per second...

all the bg, the animation... God, I hope I can watch it...
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 22:37   Link #27
suguru
京都 ikitai~

I'm a little confused, the Anime News Network article on this from June 1st describes it as:

Quote:
The story is set in Abeno 6th Middle School, a prep school attended by the main character Kōji Seki. The school puts a high emphasis on studying, but the resulting stress leads to unruly students. Michiru Takamizawa is elected the student council president, and she begins ruling over the school with a brutal iron fist. Kōji rises up against Michiru, and Kazumi Kusumoto joins him in the battle with the student council.
But then the most recent article says the synopsis is:

Quote:
Spring marks the start of another new school year at a junior high school in Kamakura. A new transfer student, Ryoichi Kyogoku (Daisuke Ono) joins the 8th grade. Kyogoku has a very special proficiency in telepathy and has been ordered by his father to use this ability to scan other people's minds and take over the school.

He instantly gains popularity at school from his good looks and charisma and he sets about taking control of the school. As people begin to fall under Kyogoku's spell, he covertly manipulates his followers and pushes aside anyone who gets in his way.

With the school almost completely under the control of Kyogoku, only one boy seems unaffected – Seki. Does Seki have what it takes to save everyone from the clutches of mind control?
The most recent article mentions the anime is a "new interpretation" of the novel, so maybe the June summary was of the light novel's plot, and the more recent one is the summary of the anime's plot, with the anime taking it a little different direction? I'm impressed by the trailer regardless, makes me want to hop on a plane to find a theater showing it...
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 05:49   Link #28
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
The most recent article mentions the anime is a "new interpretation" of the novel, so maybe the June summary was of the light novel's plot, and the more recent one is the summary of the anime's plot, with the anime taking it a little different direction? I'm impressed by the trailer regardless, makes me want to hop on a plane to find a theater showing it...
This is correct. The anime is inspired by the original novel, in the same way that Mamoru Hosoda's Girl Who Leapt Through Time was. In a similar vein to that, I suspect that Kenji Seki in this film will somehow be related to Koji Seki from the original book.

It's worth noting that in the first live action film, Kazumi is the lead character, with Koji supporting her against Michiru. There is a Kyogoku character in the original story as well.

Incidentally, I subtitled the most recent trailer yesterday but I don't have a Youtube account to upload it to so it's on Vimeo. I can't get my fancy fade in effects for signs to encode properly though as I know next to nothing about these kinds of things
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 06:31   Link #29
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Fixed that for you
gotta agree with you. definitely remind me to shinkai work. everything reflective and shiny *_*

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 06:46   Link #30
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
If the actual movie visuals is as good as the PV, then I don't care if the series is some generic love triangle polygon romance series. I'll just watch it for them visuals.

And yeh, Kaoishin I think you mistakened PA Works for Makoto Shinkai. PA Works may have "shiny" backgrounds, but Shinkai's background art is on a completely different to every other studio that I know. Then again, it's a movie budget so I guess it's unfair to compare

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-09-23 at 06:57.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 10:51   Link #31
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
If the actual movie visuals is as good as the PV, then I don't care if the series is some generic love triangle polygon romance series. I'll just watch it for them visuals.

And yeh, Kaoishin I think you mistakened PA Works for Makoto Shinkai. PA Works may have "shiny" backgrounds, but Shinkai's background art is on a completely different to every other studio that I know. Then again, it's a movie budget so I guess it's unfair to compare
lol well for me the title of the best background art in anime goes to the Mamoru Ooshi directed I.G movies of the 90's. Patlabor, Ghost in The Shell etc. Though Shinkai's might be a little prettier, clean and pristine (the comparison I was trying to make to how the NG trailer looks) while the 90's I.G movies looked grittier, lived in and atmospheric, but nonetheless take on a quality of their own that I fear has been losted to the dustbin of history
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 12:45   Link #32
kobester11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post

I wouldn't worry about the production values, knowing sunrise and studio 8 to be specific. They really focus on the animation, what I'm worried about though is the direction.
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 13:02   Link #33
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobester11 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the production values, knowing sunrise and studio 8 to be specific. They really focus on the animation, what I'm worried about though is the direction.
Have you seen Nakamura's previous work as director, specifically Mouryou no Hako and the Run Melos arc of Aoi Bungaku? He's a great director, you shouldn't be too worried.
Old 2012-09-23, 22:34   Link #34
cheshire

Oh, no worries here. Nakamura is a better director than Shinkai.
cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 08:09   Link #35
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire View Post
Oh, no worries here. Nakamura is a better director than Shinkai.
Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for surreal and class then sure Nakamura. If you're looking for a simple story with godlike background art and a touching sentimental story, then Shinkai. Granted his latest film, Hoshi Wo Kodomo was dissappointing.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 11:23   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Disappointing perhaps, but I would argue only because of the impossible standard he set for himself with 5 CM. If most directors had come out with "Children Who Case Lost Voices" it would have been regarded as a triumph.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 12:48   Link #37
Miraluka
Banned

@Pocari Sweat: Eh... after watching his last 2 movies I don't find his directing emotional anymore .

That said, I'm taking a liking to Nakamura's directing style.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 07:15   Link #38
MasterVampire

How long will it take to come out on bluray or dvd after its been in theaters?
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 07:59   Link #39
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://neragaku.com/contents.php?p=staff
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=14328

Something I didn't notice before, but a more complete staff list is up for Nerawareta Gakuen. The staff list is particularly interesting because instead of regular Sunrise staff on the movie, it looks like Ryosuke Nakamura brought with him a pretty complete team from his Madhouse projects:

Director: Ryosuke Nakamura (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10, Mōryō no Hako)
Screenplay: Ryosuke Nakamura, Yuko Naito
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Mieko Hosoi (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10)
Art Director: Hidetoshi Kaneko (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10, Mōryō no Hako)
Color design: Yuko Kobari (Aoi Bungaku Ep7-10)
Image Art: Yoshitsugi Yoshida
Screen Design: Kenichi Shimizu (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10 animator)
Special Effects: Kumiko Taniguchi (Mōryō no Hako)
CG Director: Tomohiko Kan
Director of Photography: Shinichi Igarashi (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10, Mōryō no Hako)
Editing: Aya Hida
Sound Director: Youji Shimizu
Music: Shusei Murai (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10, Mōryō no Hako)
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 08:20   Link #40
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
How long will it take to come out on bluray or dvd after its been in theaters?
We don't know. Probably the best parallel I can think of in recent years is Colorful - another film from Sunrise - that took 8 months from cinema release to Bluray. King of Thorn took 5 months in 2010.

Tags
sunrise