AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-05, 10:01   Link #41
elior

i guess i in the diffrence from everybody becouse I love the transformation the cgi didn't distract me becouse I was fascinated by how it was basically the exact same thing as the 90's transformation: many of the same poses, all of the same visual motifs, even a very similar order of events but with closer frames, dynamic shots, and extreme perspectives. I admit that the noodly arm is distracting, but I understand that they were trying to create an exaggerated sense of scale to express her power,
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 10:12   Link #42
Irenesharda

Umm, I will say this. I did not grow up with Sailor Moon. Let me repeat that: I DID NOT grow up with Sailor Moon.

I knew about her, I saw the toy commercials, but Sailor Moon was not on the TV channels I got as a kid, and also my mother, who controlled our TV time, didn't allow us to watch anime. So, no, Sailor Moon has no nostalgic significance to me.

The first time I ever saw an episode of the old show, I was twenty and in college. I just watched it to see why some of my friends had liked it so much. And I can tell you now, that I watched one episode, and I was done. The saccharine stupidity, the annoying voices, the boring plot, the ridiculous "romance", the nonsensical villains, I just couldn't take it and gave up. It was obvious that whatever window that Sailor Moon had, to become a part of my life had long since passed. I gave up trying to see what everyone else saw in it and just decided to watch the abridged series, which I did find hilarious.

I decided to look at this new series to see if an updated look could get me into the Sailor Moon craze.

Nope.

Just as simple, idiotic, and annoying as I remembered and I cannot stand Usagi as a character. There were a couple of good animation shots here and there of space and the moon and what not, but nope, I dropped this thing like a hot potato.

You guys have fun!

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 10:13   Link #43
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

edit: @Irenesharda: I completely understand where you're coming from, since a lot of that bothered me as a kid watching and reading the material. I wasn't allowed to watch anime either... err, I did anyways, though
Given the issues you raise, if you're really interested and haven't tried yet, you may find the (new translation of the*) manga more palatable, since it does away with a few of those and foregoes the problem of obnoxious voices altogether.
You will probably- like me- still find the romance annoying and dislike Usagi's attitude to her love interest (You just want to slap sense into her and wish the princess and her romance were a different character. Theirs is one of my least favourite "love stories" of all time.), but it may give you a better idea of some of the positive aspects of the series.
For me that is mostly every other character and some of the meatier, unfortunately very rushed arcs (Stars, Infinity, Dark Moon- the first two arcs are the weakest imo whereas after that it gets a lot more interesting, as the story turns darker). Usagi also comes across quite a bit more likeable in print. Mind you, it's of course somewhat dated and it has flaws, but it may work a bit better for you

*the original english, mirrored translation is... yeah, don't read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
They are too expensive, obviously... And the episode was bad, it's a little better than my expectations after the leaks, but still it is STILL . Also Crunchy and Hullu missed the preview of the next episode. Hello striking art variations.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6eybZnymPc after the ending of course
Is it just me or does the preview look a bit better than this episode? It seems a bit more crisp and is that a funny face I spot Usagi pulling? Or is it Ami making everything a bit better with her mere presence?
Full of derpy frames still, but that's expected.

I understand and agree with a lot of the criticism, especially that it lacks the personality of the source and the material having some aspects that will inevitably look dated if they're not changed.
But what makes you feel it was outright bad? It had some good points, I thought. Enough to make me think it has some potential

Last edited by Faerie; 2014-07-05 at 10:41.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 10:18   Link #44
HandofFate

Finished episode 1.
Decent episode.

From the OP, I like everyone's updated looks OTHER than Usagi.
Especially Mars and Jupiter, man, they look amazing!

I wish they release some Sailor V OVAs, I was always interested in her solo adventures.

I liked the fast pacing of this 1st episode.
Again, my only real complaint is the CGI transformation. Even if its more expensive, they're going to be using it every episode anyway, so its not like a one time use. Its just being cheap on shrimping out on the 'best 20 hype seconds' of every episode.

The battle sequences I found very fun and actionly. The look of moon tiara just hitting the monster and her getting instant death'd was great.
Old 2014-07-05, 10:21   Link #45
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Watched the first episode and aside from the CGI sequence, it's sure going to be a great revival in upcoming episodes!

Still, I wonder what's next after Crystal since this anime series will only focus on the first story arc?
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 10:26   Link #46
Frumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Watched the first episode and aside from the CGI sequence, it's sure going to be a great revival in upcoming episodes!

Still, I wonder what's next after Crystal since this anime series will only focus on the first story arc?
That's not established at all?
Frumix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 10:28   Link #47
HandofFate

Yea, one of the surprising things I found out about the Sailor Moon source material is that despite the original anime being like 200+ episodes or something, which lead me to think it was a manga series on the scale of Dragonball and DragonballZ in chapters.

The actual manga is only 50 or chapters in total.
Old 2014-07-05, 10:29   Link #48
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Seeing Sailor V in motion was good. Aside from that is basically was like a modernized version of the original.

Usagi's voice sounds basically the same to me. Waiting for Ami.
Old 2014-07-05, 10:39   Link #49
ranchan13

I'm a bit disappointed.....
Beyond the nostalgia kick, the first episode was nothing special.

Actually, it felt incredibly dated......

The opening was passable at best, and I actually preferred the ending theme....

All in all, I was disappointed though. This episode was nothing special, and it feels like I just took a massive kick to the groin of my childhood. Ah well. I'll keep watching in the hope things get better
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform

Last edited by ranchan13; 2014-07-05 at 10:52.
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 10:45   Link #50
Horse

The eyecatches were the best thing about the episode, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
The nod to Naoko Takeuchi's other gem, Shoujo Kakumei Utena was nice, with the silhouettes.
you're getting something wrong here.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 11:13   Link #51
Utsuro no Hako

So I guess the rumor that they were going to update the setting was wrong since the Sailor V video game looked like an 8-bit platformer.

And speaking of Sailor V, you'd think that after twenty years Kotono would've learned how to pronounce "v", but no, she's still mangling it.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 11:17   Link #52
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So I guess the rumor that they were going to update the setting was wrong since the Sailor V video game looked like an 8-bit platformer.

And speaking of Sailor V, you'd think that after twenty years Kotono would've learned how to pronounce "v", but no, she's still mangling it.
Is not like any norman person in Japan can pronounce it Seera Binasu, any one?
Old 2014-07-05, 11:19   Link #53
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Seeing Sailor V in motion was good. Aside from that is basically was like a modernized version of the original.

Usagi's voice sounds basically the same to me. Waiting for Ami.
It's because it's the same seiyu.

As for the episode I'm creaming with nostalgia.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 11:22   Link #54
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

People were complaining that she sounded worse due to her getting older, and I found no change in her performance. She's the same Usagi that she was 20 years ago.
Old 2014-07-05, 11:35   Link #55
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Was it mind blowing? No, not really. That said, it's still good enough for me, though waiting 2 weeks for the next episode is going to be the real challenge in terms of keeping my interest in this series.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 11:47   Link #56
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

An interesting question. Do they still have arcades like that in Toyko?
Old 2014-07-05, 11:56   Link #57
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
People were complaining that she sounded worse due to her getting older, and I found no change in her performance. She's the same Usagi that she was 20 years ago.
I disagree. She sounds like she's still voicing Hummy in Suite Precure, not Usagi.

Quote:
The big ones are still there (SEGA and Taito), AFAIK, at least when I was there two years ago.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 12:07   Link #58
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Is it just me or does the preview look a bit better than this episode? It seems a bit more crisp and is that a funny face I spot Usagi pulling? Or is it Ami making everything a bit better with her mere presence?
Full of derpy frames still, but that's expected.

I understand and agree with a lot of the criticism, especially that it lacks the personality of the source and the material having some aspects that will inevitably look dated if they're not changed.
But what makes you feel it was outright bad? It had some good points, I thought. Enough to make me think it has some potential
The preview with aim does look better but I'll keep my expectations low, and I'm not sure about outright bad but there are defiantly places which can be improved like the sitting together at school and the janky hands.

But like you said there is defiantly potential of this to get better but that really depends on how much effort the animator a put in for the next episode if it was the same quality as this episode my hopes for it being better are not high.

That said I am still looking forwards to the next episode.
Baldurkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 12:32   Link #59
HandofFate

Quote:
Yea, arcades are still a big think in Japan.
Even outside of Ahikabara. Every decent sized shopping center has an arcade on one of its floors.
Old 2014-07-05, 12:38   Link #60
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldurkai View Post
The preview with aim does look better but I'll keep my expectations low, and I'm not sure about outright bad but there are defiantly places which can be improved like the sitting together at school and the janky hands.

But like you said there is defiantly potential of this to get better but that really depends on how much effort the animator a put in for the next episode if it was the same quality as this episode my hopes for it being better are not high.

That said I am still looking forwards to the next episode.
Speaking of, there is this screenshot
Spoiler for image:

which cracks me up more than in should. You feeling okay there, Rei?
Can't wait for Meguca: Sailor Moon edition
It seems that this show suffers a lot if watched in low-res, but at the same time high-res can accentuate it's flaws.
But honestly, while imperfect and downright ugly in some parts, the animation quality is something I personally can live with for now. I wish they would improve it, maybe replace that ugly transformation with something beautiful for the BD, but if not, alright- as long as it doesn't get worse. It's not as bad as some make it out to be...
I'm just really hoping that the other VA's will perform better than those in ep 1. That's all I ask.

Tags
mahou shoujo, remake, sailor moon