Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-01, 08:18   Link #1
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
R.O.D the TV Vol. 1 Special Edition "Book"

Just got the R.O.D the TV Special Edition with the "BookBox" yesterday, and it is indeed gorgeous, its touch just like a hard-bound book. With that said, and aside from the absolutely fabulous Dolby Digital 5.1 Japanese track, I have a few complaints and/or thoughts. Also, this is not a "review" of the content of the disc as there is already one on AnimeOnDVD.com, which I happen to agree with.

The "Book" itself is the entire package, there is no DVD box from the regular edition featuring the three sisters as the cover.

The book is about as thick as 2 and 1/2 "regular" DVD boxes stacked together, the interior is made up of four front-and-back DVD trays capable of holding 8 discs total. Now I wonder what I'll do with the rest of the DVD boxes as I buy them individually in the future? (that was something of an rhetorical question demonstrating how useless those DVD boxes will be since I have the bookbox already, please do not reply to this point )

Now, to the 8-disc holding capacity. This is most likely a 7-disc R-1 release with 4 episodes on each--or so I'm hoping--seeing how there are 26 episodes in this series. Also, if it indeed is a 7-discs release, I'm going to buy the R.O.D. OVA DVD release by Manga and put it in the 8th slot. It will be interesting to see if Geneon and Manga struck a deal to make the box of a (supposed) 7-discs release capable of holding 8 discs

Despite my complaints, though, this Special Book Edition is not to be missed by any collector or paying anime fans. Look around a bit online and you can easily find prices $10 USD or more off the MSRP, and if you live in the United States, free shipping. I highly recommended this item.
Old 2004-07-01, 09:52   Link #2
LynnieS

I have to agree that the Special Edition version is a very nice piece of work. Sturdy, yet clean. The only "bad" thing that I can see from using it is that the cases from the other discs in the series are going to be empty afterwards.

Very nice audio tracks, I must say, as well.

Aside from the case itself, a small pencil board also came with it. I now have to go find some origami instructions to keep it company; that would've been a nice-to-have, but a bit too much to expect perhaps.

Psst... Pick up the OVA regardless. It's worth the money.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2004-07-01, 10:02   Link #3
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
I have to agree that the Special Edition version is a very nice piece of work. Sturdy, yet clean. The only "bad" thing that I can see from using it is that the cases from the other discs in the series are going to be empty afterwards.

Very nice audio tracks, I must say, as well.

Aside from the case itself, a small pencil board also came with it. I now have to go find some origami instructions to keep it company; that would've been a nice-to-have, but a bit too much to expect perhaps.

Psst... Pick up the OVA regardless. It's worth the money.
I mean... who came up with the pencil board idea... Who would insane enough to actually write on/over that piece of art?
Old 2004-07-01, 10:05   Link #4
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Thanks for the opinions, I've just promoted ROD TV in my "To-Buy" rankings. Although to be honest I knew I'd be picking this one up soon after its release since I saw the OVA.

Oh, and for anyone interested, you can find a picture of the box set on Amazon.
Old 2004-07-01, 10:15   Link #5
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megane
Thanks for the opinions, I've just promoted ROD TV in my "To-Buy" rankings. Although to be honest I knew I'd be picking this one up soon after its release since I saw the OVA.

Oh, and for anyone interested, you can find a picture of the box set on Amazon.
Ahh... that's a nice shot... Not the best price though
Old 2004-07-01, 15:00   Link #6
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

If you are considering the book version, you may want to do that soon, since it -is- a limited edition and might become hard to find in some areas soon.

I'd just say the book holds 8 discs just because of a technicality - because the series is 7 discs, they needed to hold at least that many discs in it, and it would take more effort to make one of the "pages" hold only one disc than it would be to just have all the pages be identical.
Old 2004-07-01, 17:48   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
If you are considering the book version, you may want to do that soon, since it -is- a limited edition and might become hard to find in some areas soon.

I'd just say the book holds 8 discs just because of a technicality - because the series is 7 discs, they needed to hold at least that many discs in it, and it would take more effort to make one of the "pages" hold only one disc than it would be to just have all the pages be identical.
Perhaps the OST will fit in one of the slots, or is the OST 2 discs?
Closed Thread