AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you let your kids [12 and under] watch FMA?
Yes 187 68.25%
No 87 31.75%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-06, 14:23   Link #81
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I probably would, but there is little reason to - i think kids 12 and under will find it boring more often than not.
Old 2006-09-06, 20:12   Link #82
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I have this rosy improbable vision where my kids don't see any kind of reproduction of human dismemberment until they're at least 15ish. But I'd let them.

I'd rather they read the manga, though.
Old 2006-09-07, 05:51   Link #83
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

You think your kids wont/dont know that stuff when hey are 14 ?
Old 2006-09-07, 05:59   Link #84
cyw1988
Japaholic

Send a message via MSN to cyw1988
The themes pretty much would not appeal to them anyway. So I will probably wait till the kids are older before showing it to them. However, if the kid reads alot in his/her free time and can actually understand life better I don't see why not...
Old 2006-09-07, 12:55   Link #85
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

I don't see the problem. Kids are people to and should have the freedom to watch whatever they want. FMA is a cartoon. Of course I would let my kids watch. Just because of vilont doesn't mean kids should not watch. People die every day there is no need to hide the facts of life from kids. Every one is gonna die someday so I don't see the problem with letting kids watch these type of shows. There are far more importan things parents should be worried about then what cartoons there kids watch. Kids should be treated like humans and should be able to watch whatever they want.
Old 2006-09-07, 18:34   Link #86
emothekat
Has a Muffin

Location: I am currently glued to my comp. chair...does that answer you question? T_T *muffin*
know that the manga is a little worse than the show. They use the F-word more ^_^
my friend was 11 when she started watching FMA
and my other friend was WAY younger than that
and I was 13
thats just when we stumbled apon this awsomest show in the world ^_^
not to say there still should be an age limit
of course this is coming from the girl everyone calls "emo" when she isnt T_T
Old 2006-09-07, 21:58   Link #87
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by emothekat
know that the manga is a little worse than the show. They use the F-word more ^_^
I meant in the sense that I like the manga storyline a bit more.
Old 2006-09-07, 23:33   Link #88
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoska
There are some good american cartoons too but it's not fashionable.
Really? Could you name an american cartoon with comparable themes or philosophical messages as an anime such as FMA?
Old 2006-09-08, 14:11   Link #89
emothekat
Has a Muffin

Location: I am currently glued to my comp. chair...does that answer you question? T_T *muffin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Really? Could you name an american cartoon with comparable themes or philosophical messages as an anime such as FMA?
I cant ^_^
Old 2006-09-08, 16:34   Link #90
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I dont find problem with kids watching this - i simply dont think they would find it interesting. Its a rather deep and focuses mainly on plot rather than action
Old 2006-09-08, 16:45   Link #91
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I sort of have to answer yes since I do let my 8 year old watch it.
Old 2006-09-14, 13:06   Link #92
Laharu
mao de makai

Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
Yep! I'd let my kids watch it =D
Old 2006-09-21, 20:47   Link #93
Anime Love

I would probably let my kid watch it if I ever have one since im 13 and not trying 2 have kids anytime soon. I started watching FmA when I was 12 and I understood and I wasnt really screwed up in the mind after watching the last episode. I love FMA with all my heart and I think it is a very good show that most people should see the voilence wasnt really that much because trust me if it was I wouldnt watch it! So I think ppl should let kids at least 9 and older watch it because it truely is a good show.
Old 2006-09-23, 11:08   Link #94
deaddeath

Thumbs down

Well no, but probley yes. My parents let me watch FMA, but unless it nude probley. Japan parents don't reallly care. Like Naruto Japan has words like... DAM!, DAM YOU, or YOU PERVERT! And probley others. In America I think we have just Pervert. Japan makes a happy place for kids. They even made a beer just for kids. And I agree with Anime Love I love FMA!!!!! IT ROCKS
Old 2006-11-07, 23:09   Link #95
hagane no kaizoku

I wouldn't deny my children the right to watch it (depending on how much below twelve they were,) but I'd prefer to introduce it to them when they're older because I'd want them to get it on the same level that I do and not just be attracted to the cool fighting and pretty graphics.

I agree about Japan being different though. For example, I know from some of the fanart during one of the ending sequences that One Piece is watched by very young kids. Yet the show is loaded with violence and swearing - Sanji in particular uses "shitty" to describe pretty much everything. Whereas in America you can't say shit at all on TV unless the show's on a premium channel or ridiculously late at night. I think Japanese parents are more put off by the sort of consequence-free violence that's on shows like Looney Toons than more realistic animated violence.
Old 2006-11-10, 09:23   Link #96
Trinity Black
just a brazilian girl

Send a message via MSN to Trinity Black
I think I would. We can't really stop kids from doing this kind of thing. Say 'no' gives them curiosity. So, if my kid said she would like to watch it, I would let. And I would watch with her. xD
Old 2006-11-24, 14:52   Link #97
anselfir
Style Über Alles

I think this show is for kids mainly, because only kids can remain calm after they repeatedly state "laws of exchange.." a billion times without proper reference to perhaps debate? Seriously, it is not about the violence, which is just a more artful representation of what really happens if you punch or stab someone. A kid would be more likely to appreciate the emotional side of the show, which to me is totally absent due to the way they presented their main philosophy (I cannot watch something that states the moral of the story explicitly, or at least attempt to state something explicitly, without obliterating it automatically).

This show is not at all very deep, I dont see it as an adult anime.

Last edited by anselfir; 2006-11-25 at 16:51.
Old 2006-11-24, 15:04   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm kind of in inu-fma88fan's arena ... I just wouldn't waste my time trying to show it to the average kid under the age of 12. They simply wouldn't understand some of the more complex issues. The gore and violence ... varies too much from kid to kid to make a blunt age assessment but the same theory applies. If the kid already shows signs of maturity (understands the difference between entertainment and reality, can *express* himself in ways that show real understanding of adult choices, is already reading on-their-own books at highschool/college level), then I might make an exception.

The one caveat I have is that too many "under 12" kid shows have excessive action/violence with no reason and no exploration of alternatives. I really object to those (of course I also object to shows in which the "Moral of The Day" buries any realistic plotline).
Old 2006-12-01, 19:55   Link #99
Ceres Ceres
OMFG It's Ceres

I'd let my kid watch FMA. I started watching it when I was 14 though. My sister started watching it when she was 7 and understood it. I'd let my daughter (Aimee) watch it when she gets older. It's her disision, not mine. She can if she wants to.
Old 2006-12-06, 15:16   Link #100
MadHatter_Tamaki
Ouran Junkie ><

Send a message via AIM to MadHatter_Tamaki Send a message via MSN to MadHatter_Tamaki Send a message via Yahoo to MadHatter_Tamaki
I'd let my kids watch it (saying if I had any) but I don't think they'd be interested in it. Some of my friends didn't watch it because the first two eps went from dramatic to kiddy humor in a matter of seconds. They got turned off.
Closed Thread