AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-09-23, 18:50   Link #141
Tmoo
Furry Squirrel

microsoft discovered that sony rules japan---and they're having a hard time overthrowing them.

besides, the ps3 not only looks more appealing to gamers, it's a trademark of the japanese video gaming industry (or it has been ever since nintendo got screwed over by the original ps1).

even if the system is harder to program for, what do we as the customers care? companies will still flock their games to sony for the sole reason that the playstation systems are solid and stable market products that bring in millions, where as the xbox's and its successor's popularity are in the minority.

i'm a halo fan myself, but one game isn't going to convince me that the 360 is the god of all systems.
Tmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 20:00   Link #142
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

First of all i don't think the 360 is the "god of all the systems" I think it's a good purchase. I thought this topic was made to talk about if it was worth the purchase or not. But now it's turning it to a flame war and besides the WII and the PS3 haven't even came out yet so why are we argueing over systems still in development?
P.S, Flame me all you want.
Theclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 22:56   Link #143
Tmoo
Furry Squirrel

reasoning is flame? >.>

even with the option of 2 packages at different prices, the 360 is still expensive and doesn't have enough popular games out to back it up.

i already said that i was a halo fan, but the fact remains that the world powers are nationalistic, so an american system won't do as well in japan as a japanese system would. also, there aren't enough anime-themed games on the 360 to gain support of the anime fans over there.

i vote that the 360 package is at the moment not worth it---i'd rather wait until the price has gone down or the christmas special includes a free game.
Old 2006-09-23, 23:05   Link #144
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoo
reasoning is flame? >.>

even with the option of 2 packages at different prices, the 360 is still expensive and doesn't have enough popular games out to back it up.

i already said that i was a halo fan, but the fact remains that the world powers are nationalistic, so an american system won't do as well in japan as a japanese system would. also, there aren't enough anime-themed games on the 360 to gain support of the anime fans over there.

i vote that the 360 package is at the moment not worth it---i'd rather wait until the price has gone down or the christmas special includes a free game.
Not you there are countless people including myself who type without thinking. It is a little expensive but with the popularity of video games rising so will the price think about games used to be 20 bucks then they were 50 now 60 so will the prices on the systems.
Old 2006-09-23, 23:06   Link #145
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
reasoning is flame? >.>

Well, they do have a bundle right now for the high-end version (the one with the hard drive) that gives a membership to Xbox Live Gold for a good while, as well as PGR3.

But yeah, the console is a bit too expensive right now for me even with the bundle, especially considering the core gaming library that the Xbox 360 has. I mean, I have nothing against FPS and racing and sports titles, but those aren't the core titles that I really go for. Sure, the PS3 is gonna be an expensive system, but it's a system that offers the games I really go for. Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell are a couple of games I'm really looking forward to for the 360, but that's only 2 out of a large library...

Also, for good comparison...the premium 360 bundle sells for $499.99 up here in Canada, a good $100 more than in the states. That's quite a bit higher than the current exchange rate. However, the Wii will be selling for $279.99 ($30 more) and the premium PS3 bundle will be selling for $659.99 ($60 more), which is pretty close to the current USD to CDN exchange rate. Not sure why MS chose to have such a difference in price between US and CDN when the American dollar is not as strong as it used to be. =/
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 23:12   Link #146
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark`
Well, they do have a bundle right now for the high-end version (the one with the hard drive) that gives a membership to Xbox Live Gold for a good while, as well as PGR3.

But yeah, the console is a bit too expensive right now for me even with the bundle, especially considering the core gaming library that the Xbox 360 has. I mean, I have nothing against FPS and racing and sports titles, but those aren't the core titles that I really go for. Sure, the PS3 is gonna be an expensive system, but it's a system that offers the games I really go for. Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell are a couple of games I'm really looking forward to for the 360, but that's only 2 out of a large library...

Also, for good comparison...the premium 360 bundle sells for $499.99 up here in Canada, a good $100 more than in the states. That's quite a bit higher than the current exchange rate. However, the Wii will be selling for $279.99 ($30 more) and the premium PS3 bundle will be selling for $659.99 ($60 more), which is pretty close to the current USD to CDN exchange rate. Not sure why MS chose to have such a difference in price between US and CDN when the American dollar is not as strong as it used to be. =/
This is the exact reason why I'm only buying the Wii and the xbox 360 the ps3 is just too expensive for my tastes and the only game i want for it is warhawk but I know japan is gonna come out with some great clannad game for it so, that's why I'm pry gonna end up buying both the U.S version on the PS3 and the japanese versions, yes I'm stupid.
Old 2006-09-23, 23:15   Link #147
Tmoo
Furry Squirrel

i'll probably wait awhile for the ps3's price to reduce as well, or until it has a decent library of games to choose from. i'm kinda stingy ;o
Old 2006-09-23, 23:23   Link #148
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

I'm not stingy just stupid I know when I bought my first PS2 I knew I should just bought a japanese one because there so many games I want for it but I can't play any of them including Clannad, ONE, and Shuffle! on the stage the're just sitting there. But even though my reason is stupid that's why if I ever buy a system I buy a japanese system first exept this time my plan was twarted buy high sale for the xbox 360 but then again there are a lot of american exclusives like Dead Rising it was released in japan but the american version was better.
Old 2006-09-23, 23:31   Link #149
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theclow
This is the exact reason why I'm only buying the Wii and the xbox 360 the ps3 is just too expensive for my tastes and the only game i want for it is warhawk but I know japan is gonna come out with some great clannad game for it so, that's why I'm pry gonna end up buying both the U.S version on the PS3 and the japanese versions, yes I'm stupid.
clannad?

Edit: And if you were referring to purchasing a Japanese and American PS3...you don't have to. From what I understand the PS3 will apparently be region-free. Let me fish up where I read that...

"Games will be region-free, but movies will still have region locks preventing multiregion playback. However, according to Japanese IT Media, the Blu-ray spec now has North America, South America, and Asia (except for China) in region 1. If the spec doesn't change, that means your US PlayStation 3 should be able to play those Blu-ray Godzilla movies imported from Japan."
http://www.gamespot.com/features/612...gumballs;img;1 (second last paragraph)

Quote:
i'll probably wait awhile for the ps3's price to reduce as well, or until it has a decent library of games to choose from. i'm kinda stingy ;o
We're on the same page here. I've said before (not on here, but to people I know IRL) that the only way I'd ever get a PS3 at launch is if there were good launch titles, or if shops offered a good trade-in deal for my PS2. So far the launch library looks a bit lackluster...the only game I would probably buy on launch day for PS3 would be Resistance: Fall of Man (though I'm not particularly fond of FPS games on console) and maybe the Gundam game. A lot of titles have seemingly been pushed back to Spring '07 or even later, so my interest in obtaining a PS3 at launch (which was, all things considered, at a respectable level) has wavered. Good trade-in deals for my PS2 may still make me get one at launch, but with the shortage, I doubt any deal will be that sweet...plus I'm still somewhat hesitant about picking up a first-generation PS3...for fear of defects ala first-gen 360s. A price drop, along with the release of a Blue Dragon or Trusty Bell game during that time, could very well entice me to pick up an Xbox 360 at that time, even though I will eventually get a PS3 for all the Square-Enix franchises...and so on.
Old 2006-09-23, 23:38   Link #150
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
clannad?

Edit: And if you were referring to purchasing a Japanese and American PS3...you don't have to. From what I understand the PS3 will apparently be region-free. Let me fish up where I read that...

"Games will be region-free, but movies will still have region locks preventing multiregion playback. However, according to Japanese IT Media, the Blu-ray spec now has North America, South America, and Asia (except for China) in region 1. If the spec doesn't change, that means your US PlayStation 3 should be able to play those Blu-ray Godzilla movies imported from Japan."
http://www.gamespot.com/features/612...gumballs;img;1 (second last paragraph)
Sweet does that that mean also I can play japanese PS1 and PS2 games too? It's pry gonna be no .
Old 2006-09-23, 23:48   Link #151
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theclow
Sweet does that that mean also I can play japanese PS1 and PS2 games too? It's pry gonna be no .
I'm pretty sure the function is limited to just PS3 games (re: Blu-Ray discs), so it more than likely won't play Japanese PSone and PS2 games. I'm not 100% sure as most of the wording has been kinda vague with phrases like "region-free PS3" and "the PS3 will be region-free for gaming"...with nothing specifically saying if that's confined to the Blu-Ray format or what. But if I had to choose...I'd probably say it's limited to Blu-Ray (re: PS3 games). =/
Old 2006-09-24, 00:00   Link #152
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the function is limited to just PS3 games (re: Blu-Ray discs), so it more than likely won't play Japanese PSone and PS2 games. I'm not 100% sure as most of the wording has been kinda vague with phrases like "region-free PS3" and "the PS3 will be region-free for gaming"...with nothing specifically saying if that's confined to the Blu-Ray format or what. But if I had to choose...I'd probably say it's limited to Blu-Ray (re: PS3 games). =/
I was right well thanks anyways I know I can be stupid about 99.9% of the time .
Old 2006-09-24, 06:49   Link #153
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

This "region-free" thing doesn't mean anything. The developers/publishers are still allowed to apply region locks, and you can bet that they're going to use them.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 11:06   Link #154
Marvel
Demon-Fox Inside©

Yes, regiolocks are already used on the 360, since the console is also regiofree, but almost every game has a lock so it doesn't matter if it's regiofree or not.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 18:47   Link #155
deaddeath

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJpNoiEcLipSe
project gotham 3 recored. you need xVid to play the video by the way...

http://www.gamershell.com/download_11625.shtml
Xbox ROCKS. I'm goina get someday...
deaddeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 11:59   Link #156
Bloodthirst

well lets just say that I got the and it's no longer apart of my house Xbox officially is garbage trust the graphics are not what they say they are personally I think next gen is a load of crap i"m sticking with the best system in the world the computer.
Bloodthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 12:34   Link #157
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I'm going to wait till PS3 takes a price drop, or depending on my pay, get it outright. Remember this, though: console systems don't have good multiplayer, so the games you play you'll play once. What games give you the best value for one-time or if you wanna get optimistic, several-time play? RPGs for one-time, and perhaps some form of mission-based games for several-time clears. That said, Squeenix EASILY has the best RPGs in the form of the FF series. I think Sony should give Legend of Dragoon a retry on the PS3 though...frankly, the only really good single-player games are the FF series, and PS has them.

Nintendo's selling points are only its trademark series games, F-zero, Mario, and Smash. I'll let my friends get that.
Old 2006-09-27, 17:27   Link #158
Bloodseeker

Great system? Not yet, but neither was the PS2 this early on. Good system? Definitely.

Oblivion is a really great game (Elder Scrolls with a plot twist? There's a new concept), and Condemned, Dead Rising, and Dead or Alive 4 are all pretty fun.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 19:06   Link #159
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

IMO nobody has time to spend playing through five games that quickly. A few OMGWTFBBQ quality games are better than a multitude of great games. Face it, you don't have the time to play through six "great" games in rapid succession, but DO have the time to play through one or two.

If you have the time to play through so many video games that the quantity of good games rather than the marginal quality makes the difference, you have far too much time on your hands. And if you have that kind of time, odds are, your parents aren't willing to dish out $500 for a system and one or two games.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:14   Link #160
Tmoo
Furry Squirrel

DOA 4 was great. now they just need to release Halo 3 and an actual RPG or mech game and i'll buy it at christmas when the xbox deal emerges.