AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-09, 10:42   Link #861
SSzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakomi View Post
It's not a matter of losing interest, our staff has just been really busy. You know, real life and stuff. We're doing the best we can.
oh i see=D take your time then
SSzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 21:21   Link #862
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Episode 18

Oh, God, I don't know if I should laugh hysterically or cry in shame. I have no idea why I still watch Iroha...

Clearly, though, people who made Iroha watched WAY too much Utena. Ooops... is that a spoiler? 8)

The Baka Rangers are killing this show. I cannot.. I swear, I cannot bear to watch one more minute of their idiocy. They make this show even more stupid than it already is.

Where are those cool episodes where the story amazed you and the animation awed you? Where are they?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 22:54   Link #863
wao
OK.

I was laughing my way through half this episode too. To be frank, I think anyone who knows me might know that I've only made my way through the past few eps for fangirl reasons and not really for serious reasons (ep 15's geishas are an exception). But I will reserve my criticism of the series until the end so as not to dampen the mood too much...

Anyway - aha, I see Onda's drawings so obviously. He just basically pwns everyone else; the animation director Yuka Takemori has this funny way of correcting faces where they look lopsided and it shows... then Onda's uncorrected drawings come in the last part and look prettier than the rest of the episode. Hah. Although Akizuki looks like he's no younger than 25 the way he draws him...

So if you're looking for good animation I should think next episode would bring it along. Whether it'll turn out as a fujoshi-fanservice-fest ala ep 10, though, is something I don't know yet. Eh. I'm basing my expectations of it entirely on eps 5 and 12...

Anyway, this episode was so funny especially because
Spoiler:

I do like that new outfit though. At least the damned ribbons came off!
Old 2007-02-09, 23:04   Link #864
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
But they are lolcrack! Why else do you think I like them? ^_^; It's certainly NOT for their personality or what they did. They just amuse me, actually more like HE just amuses me. I suppose that just goes to show I really don't take anything seriously like I should.

Onda's parts were obviously my fav of the whole episode.

Spoiler:
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 23:34   Link #865
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I wish the series would return to its roots. You know, when it had class and intrigue and it was culturally significant for introducing us to Japanese new post-feudal society and interweaving the history of Meiji Restoration with an epic story.

Now the historical bits seems like an endless trivia roadshow. Akizuki travels around the country and meets important historical figures. Oh, look, that's Enomoto Takeaki, he is going to establish the Republic of Ezo. Oh, look, that's Hijikata Toshizou, he went north after Shinsengumi was destroyed. Oh, look, that's Byakkotai, they are... um... well, we don't really know how to squeeze them in, so we'll just have a pointless Byakkotai kid here.

I am completely convinced that the reason why Iroha charmed me in the beginning was very simple: steady animation and special care taken with Japanese culture. Like the kabuki troupe, or those silly geisha accents that amused me to no end. These were the things out of the ordinary and I simply don't see them any more. And unlike you gals, I can't keep watching it for the sheer fanservice alone. Naturally, I'll watch it to the end, but I can't say it will be happy.

I only hope that Iroha would finally gain some purpose other than the vague "let's destroy the Head" story.

These are the issues I want addressed:

- What the hell's wrong with Kakunojo? Besides love.
- Why is Akizuki such a hardass?
- What's Ibaragi's story?
- Why do they all want the Head? Why is it bad?
- Why is nothing happening with Kanna and Kakunojo?
- Is there a more clever way to involve historical figures other than just to have them stand witness to our heroes?

Seriously, aren't those rather obvious character development angles? Why aren't they followed?

This is episode 18 already! The law of anime clearly states that around episode 19 or 20 there must be a seriously jaw-dropping awesome change of direction that will finally lead us to the grand finale. And let me tell you... what happened to Akizuki is NOT that.

The final "arc" (as far as directing goes) is upon us. The deep breath before the plunge! I fear it will suck...
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 00:08   Link #866
deaddeath

Question What

Who is Buku Tuoo?
deaddeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 03:11   Link #867
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Now the historical bits seems like an endless trivia roadshow.
Yes, I had the same thought. Whenever I see that 3D-map popping up with the arrow snaking along mountain ranges, I immediately think of those history videos one saw in school, which weren't really known for their entertainment value. Especially when all it did, was declaring why there were some soldiers stationed along the road. Or in other cases I fail to see the need for one of the characters to be a historic figure, apart from so the audience can go "lol famous person, I know that guy from a book". The historical references don't seem to be integrated in the story, just intersecting with it now and then. For the most part the actual story about the eternal assassin looking for evil head could have been told without the historic references without losing much.

Quote:
Akizuki travels around the country and meets important historical figures.
The adventures of Youjirou Gump.

While I'm at it, after I saw ep18, I was reminded of a question I had for some time:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Oberon; 2007-02-10 at 04:43.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 06:29   Link #868
wao
OK.

Yay! Finally, episode 12 is out! After that there's episode 13.... and then from then on I'll sit here and watch the BL fangirls drop this show (unless they're into older guys).
Old 2007-02-10, 16:40   Link #869
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
While I'm at it, after I saw ep18, I was reminded of a question I had for some time:
Spoiler:

I have always thought Kaku's disguise only works because actors that only play women must be pretty gender confused to begin with, so maybe the audiences are used to seeing very feminine guy actors walking around.

And for the second part of your comment...
Spoiler:
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 21:32   Link #870
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow - 12 was just... Wow. Out of this freakin' world.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 23:22   Link #871
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Wow, it seems this show is a total financial flop in Japan. The first volume of the DVD debuted at #77 on the anime sales charts with a total of 2,252 copies sold in the first week. Horrible.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 23:32   Link #872
wao
OK.

Well, I think it's not all that bad for something that receives comparatively pathetic publicity and is broadcasted ONLY on the internet... which means it is accessible all over Japan, but at the same time, most people don't know or hear about it. Plus it's an anime original, so there's no existing fanbase to buy the stuff... and it's also not something so easy for even Japanese to get into; furthermore I'd venture to say it's appealing only to a very specific type of fangirl compared to say Code Geass which appeals to a very wide range of otaku, both male and female (that may be an unfair comparison, though) Eh, I think the lack of publicity is prolly what did it. And there's still rentals and stuff to consider. Plus I'm quite sure this didn't take that much money to make (despite it looking pretty in some places, I don't think they spent a lot of money on the animation and stuff - think about it, who would risk so much on an internet-only anime-original show?) Who knows, they might actually recover their costs...
Old 2007-02-10, 23:38   Link #873
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Well, I think it did better than FLAG anyway. I'm not even sure if FLAG Vol1-3 ever charted on the top100. Pretty disappointing overall, since I'm a huge fan of Ryosuke Takahashi and both FLAG and Bakumatsu have been really well produced so far. I guess the mainstream just doesn't care for more intellectual and detailed original anime that don't degenerate into extreme fanservice of some sort.

Maybe his new Votoms series will do better..... maybe.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 00:44   Link #874
Inclu

I love this anime, but there has been one thing bothering me.
This picture
I'm not up to date with Bakumatsu at the time, but i'm just curious to know what that's all about
XD
Inclu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 00:51   Link #875
wao
OK.

That's (now a somewhat old) scan from Newtype Romance. Keep in mind this show is really aimed at girls; as is Newtype Romance. A lot of Japanese fans of the show are absolutely head over heels over Kanna (the guy on the left) and Akizuki as a BL (Boys-Love) pairing. Of course, this never actually happens in the anime, but they love it enough to have started two fan-initated anthologies for the pairing (one with Kanna "dominant", the other with Akizuki "dominant").

The "Love Target" thing you see in the scan doesn't actually refer to their interest in each other (although many would like to imagine it that way), it describes their characteristics and, to put it crudely, "selling points". So "love target" probably refers more to the girls falling in love with them.

Although if my memory serves me correctly, the scan was quite playfully hinting at them being interested in each other (which, again, never really happens in the anime apart from the BL fangirls' favourite episode 8.)

I think I have a larger version of that scan lying somewhere around on my HD.
Old 2007-02-11, 01:32   Link #876
Cyprene

What the HECK happened to this show? I was working on 14 and 15 and it... sucked. It was really awful. The animation quality has degenerated to "laughable" in parts, especially in episode 15, the story seems to not have the slightest clue as to where it's going, and the Brit Weiss Kreuz rip-off squad is more suited to an episode of Law of Ueki or Naruto than a show like this.

BTW Wao, I decided the songs in 15 weren't worth my time to screw with. I have other shows to do, and if Baku can't be bothered to not suck I can't be bothered to waste my time doing extra work for it.

-
Cyprene, Bakumatsu Translator
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 04:26   Link #877
sevenheaven7

is there any romance between the main characters? (yuyama and akizuki)
sevenheaven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 04:48   Link #878
wao
OK.

Well, you could say there's hints/developments of it, mainly over the past few episodes (15-18).

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have been portrayed or received very well by most of the audience, and even I have to admit that it certainly could have been written a lot better.

Quite a number of people appear to be concerned with the fact that Akizuki seemed to have lost his "coolness" over those past few eps and was acting out-of-character.
Old 2007-02-11, 15:21   Link #879
Inclu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
That's (now a somewhat old) scan from Newtype Romance. Keep in mind this show is really aimed at girls; as is Newtype Romance. A lot of Japanese fans of the show are absolutely head over heels over Kanna (the guy on the left) and Akizuki as a BL (Boys-Love) pairing. Of course, this never actually happens in the anime, but they love it enough to have started two fan-initated anthologies for the pairing (one with Kanna "dominant", the other with Akizuki "dominant").

The "Love Target" thing you see in the scan doesn't actually refer to their interest in each other (although many would like to imagine it that way), it describes their characteristics and, to put it crudely, "selling points". So "love target" probably refers more to the girls falling in love with them.

Although if my memory serves me correctly, the scan was quite playfully hinting at them being interested in each other (which, again, never really happens in the anime apart from the BL fangirls' favourite episode 8.)

I think I have a larger version of that scan lying somewhere around on my HD.
ah i see thanks for clearning that up for me
^^
Inclu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 03:38   Link #880
wao
OK.

Obligatory spoiler post, pay no attention...

Episode 20's preview from the official site, badly translated by me, blah blah.

Spoiler for ep 20:

Episode 19, is after all an improvement from the past 3 eps as I have been hoping. Apparently the fangirls are not too happy, however, because
Spoiler:

Apparently the troupe was good and this ep is chock full of bishie Soutetsu, plus the animation was pretty as expected. Yay! Nice to see him get the "zomg I'm sexy" touch too. Can't wait to see it.
EDIT: Oh nice, it seems like Chiaki Ishikawa, half of the duo See-Saw (the other half is none other than Kajiura) composed an insert song for this episode? Cool.

EDIT2: You can see maaaaany screencaps if you go over here. And ZOMG EVERYONE LOOKS HOT. Goodness! I'm going to go giggle in a corner like a silly person for a while now.

Last edited by wao; 2007-02-16 at 19:35.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, supernatural