AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-04-20, 17:52   Link #1
Griffith

ADV announces Evangelion Platinum Edition

More info at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=338 I'm glad I decided not to get the Perfect Collection box set after all.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 18:16   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

Maybe it's time to buy EVA. I didn't want to spend the money buying individual volumes as the box set is cheaper but I want the director's cut episodes. I wasn't buying anything twice.

This release might justify the cost of individual volumes but it'd be nice if they boxed it and knocked a few bucks off. I'm not a die-hard EVA fan so I don't know...
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 18:28   Link #3
jennwenn

What? Another version? I'm also glad I haven't bought Eva yet. But why should I buy this set?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 18:56   Link #4
Kaizoku Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
What? Another version? I'm also glad I haven't bought Eva yet. But why should I buy this set?
Because of a high upgrade in video and audio quality, and the inclusion of a lot of extras and the Director's Cut episodes.
Kaizoku Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 19:04   Link #5
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Bah!

/me realizes he'll have to buy Neon Genesis Evangelion again. ;_;
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 20:29   Link #6
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

I stopped buying the original dvds when they first annouced these being done in japan so gonna have to start all over. Interesting though, all those extras, plus it has five eps versus the original dvd's four. Finally some commentary tracks. Possibly the first anime tv series dvd with decent extras, at least that i've heard of.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 20:31   Link #7
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Eva: Renewal 5.1 mix = ORGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The video isn't bad either :P
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 20:33   Link #8
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Arg! They had to do it again! Now I'm even more confused!
Megane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 20:35   Link #9
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
I stopped buying the original dvds when they first annouced these being done in japan so gonna have to start all over. Interesting though, all those extras, plus it has five eps versus the original dvd's four. Finally some commentary tracks. Possibly the first anime tv series dvd with decent extras, at least that i've heard of.
The problem is...

I own the entire TV series on VHS
I own the entire series on DVD (both TV and Movies)
I have already ordered the DVD with the cut scenes

Now they've announced this. ;_;

Now, I'm going to have to buy it all again. I can only hope they re-did the subtitles. The first NGE DVD's subtitles were fine, but near the end the giant teal subtitles took up about half the screen at any given time. >.>
Old 2004-04-20, 22:59   Link #10
slapstick

why buy it?

(trying to del this post, but I can't figure out how)
slapstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 23:49   Link #11
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
ADV puts in quite a few extras on some DVDs (the Steel angel Kurumi had ~30 minute "making of" scenes (...of the dub...))
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 00:30   Link #12
outlaw55
Banned

Personally, if any of you own it, wait til they release a boxed set of it 2 years from now, no point in OVERSPENDING on something you ALREADY own...
outlaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 01:20   Link #13
Navi en Grey

First there was an Evangelion Remastered, an Evangelion Director's Cut, and now this? Can't we all just give Eva a break already?

Besides ... idiots claiming their the original VHS-Eva lovers will come and argue with newbies in Eva (like me). Hehehehe ...

- Navi
Navi en Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 09:08   Link #14
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Too late for me for overspending, I had the Vhs, then bought the DVDs, and the directors cuts. At least I got to sell the VHSs on Ebay for a decent amount to help cover the DVDs. So I think I'm done.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 09:32   Link #15
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

/me pokes at AvatarADV

This is all your doing! Isn't it?!

Old 2004-04-21, 10:22   Link #16
Silver_Scorcher

Alright, this just pisses me off. I've been an EVA fan for about a year now, and I have an enourmous amount of respect for it because it's the anime that really got me into becoming an anime fan (Moving past shows like Gundam & DBZ). I first had a VHS of episodes 19-20 that I had two years before. Once I actually watched it I was completely hooked. I downloaded all the episodes (back when Kazaa was actually useful), and was completely obsessed with it. Then I went legit, and bought the boxed set back in September, right before ADV announced they would release the directors cut. I was pretty pissed off at first, until it was confirmed it was only for the last two volumes, which I ended up buying. Now there going to release the directors cut in its entirety? Enough is enough. Put Eva to bed already and move on. They have the movie already. Isn't that enough? I most certainly will not waste my money on another EVA boxed set. The directors cut for episodes 21-26 is enough for me. From what I hear, the directors cut for episodes 1-20 doesn't have much in the way of new scenes, which is why initially ADV decided to only release the directors cut for 21-26. While I love Evangelion for what it is, I'm not gonna waste another $200.00 to buy another set of Eva DVD's. Until the movie comes out, just put Eva to bed and move on already! If anything, I'll just rent it. There will be alot of extra's so I guess it'll be worth it for hard core EVA fans.
Silver_Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 11:00   Link #17
BanditKing

If you want to blame someone for Renewal blame Gainax for it since they are the one who make it and blame the fan of eva who want ADV to bring it here.

Can't wait till it on dvd so I can buy it.yes I'm a big eva who brought everything even the japanese game that I barely understand.
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 11:19   Link #18
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

For those who don't know which versions are different from which versions, can someone list the differences for all the R1 Eva DVDs?

As for the one over here in Japan:

VHS/LD version: jittery pictures, original TV version+added scenes
DVD first release: basically a LD drop onto DVD, heavy pixelation.
DVD second release: Remastered Edition with all episodes in 5.1ch sound, picture jitters fixed, includes both the original TV version and the added-scenes versions
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 11:40   Link #19
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
wow another Evangelion DVD collection

i always wondered why is so famous ??

after episode 15 or so everything goes downhill on the series
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 12:23   Link #20
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
For those who don't know which versions are different from which versions, can someone list the differences for all the R1 Eva DVDs?

As for the one over here in Japan:

VHS/LD version: jittery pictures, original TV version+added scenes
DVD first release: basically a LD drop onto DVD, heavy pixelation.
DVD second release: Remastered Edition with all episodes in 5.1ch sound, picture jitters fixed, includes both the original TV version and the added-scenes versions
Okay.

For the TV series (ADV Films):

VHS: Same as the Japanese versions, low quality video and scratchy audio. First only in dub format followed soon after with a subtitled format for about $10 more.
DVD first release: Video and audio quality equal to the VHS release (maybe less so for the video quality, there were some compression issues on the first DVDs plus some added languages).
DVD second release: The boxset... Just a re-hashed re-release of the first release but instead using really ugly teal subtitles.
DVD third release: The Director's Cut episodes... get people to re-purchase the last two volumes for a total of about 6 minutes added footage.

And now the upcoming fourth release...

For the Movies (Manga Entertainment):

DVD/VHS first release: Death&Rebirth was released...
DVD/VHS second release: End of Evangelion was released...
DVD/VHS(?) third release: Directors Cut - Genesis Reborn
DVD/VHS(?) fourth release: Director's Cut - Ressurection
DVD/VHS fifth release: End of Evangelion re-released (aka. EVA2 or something like that) but no real noticable difference between it and the previous.

And I belive there is a re-release for Death&Rebirth too.

Those of us who have been buying the North American releases have been getting the short end of the stick for sometime now.