AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-04-14, 11:06   Link #6441
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Work's been keeping me busy so not much time to spend forming stories .
Plus 3.1 is supposed to come out today so my mind is currently drifting towards that right now... >_>
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:07   Link #6442
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Took me a while to work on certain details but I finished Fuuko's profile.

Here it is~~

Spoiler for Minawa Fuuko:

She'll only enter in BreakerS' sequel WindS-B for obvious reasons.
Why the "B"? That's because this scenario is based on how BreakerS is going to at the moment...kind of like a Visual Novel where you choose a different path that leads to a different development.
WindS-A will only be "unlocked" when I finish BreakerS Main Story properly (there'll be a small After Story, but it's just for the lulz)

Well, there's also another character to introduce, but I'm still working on her design and profile
She'll be Fuuko's partner in the academy and TSAB rank exams, and share a bond akin to Subaru and Teana...kinda

I did review it a few times for errors, but do point out any mistake I may have done
Oh, and give your opinion about her profile too

*dash*
I feel sorry for Koji TT Although it's good to hear that Koji and Maren will hook up

Can't see any problems with her profile though.

Good to have you back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
[B]
exaggeration. Kinda like you can say 'it's tiny' or 'it's really tiny.'
*shrug* It works, although it just doesn't read well (to me)
Quote:
Yeah, you see, that's why Saint wrote the 'requires consent from the caster' part. It's not hacking, it's guiding.

To put it very bluntly,the way I read it it's like asking the caster "Hey, I see an enemy over here. Can I borrow your rounds and blast him to bits?"

It's up to the caster to say yes or no.
Couldn't we just have Palantir and MILAN be a paired system with a special component(s) that let the device's talk to each other and mutually control things? Ie in terms of a car and it's remote for opening doors. Sure there may be another car somewhere in the world that will open with your particular remote, but it's a tiny, tiny chance that you'll find it. That way only people with access to the paired devices will be able to do what SaintX has brainstormed, sidestepping the issue of mages handing control over to each other for the spells.

Obviously, such a system does pose its own risks. If the enemy happens to find one half of the pair then things aren't going to end well. And of course, the connection between the devices may be tampered with but these are different issues to what has been raised in the thread in the past day or so.

Edit: Lol beaten to it(partially) by Goose
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:09   Link #6443
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

*shrugs* I had something similar cooked up for the Air Wing girls. Magic rounds that were programmed to home in on lasers. OFM personnel have become quite adept at lasing targets for air support.

...sometimes though, the lasing is just to point the friendlies where to shoot...

@Liingo: That could also work.

Hmmm... something to think about: Aegis DDGs and CGs use similar principles to guide their SAMs. I've read that it's possible for even non-Aegis ships to fire off their SAMs and the Aegis can guides them in - this was apparently something the US Navy played with when they still had their Spruance-class DDs. Then when you consider that there are going to be multiple Aegis cans firing and multiple SAMs in the air... one starts wondering how the computers keep track of everything and know whose missiles to guide and whose to leave alone.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:12   Link #6444
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*runs hand through hair* Okay, so the main problem is whether or not other enemies can make use of this skill, right? So if the 'request' is send through a method similar to telepathic communication -which as far as we know, seems to be impervious to any form of hacking or even tracing- then the problem is solved, right?
Problem with that idea is: As of Ep21 StrikerS, when Wendi easily intercepted communications, any remaining idea of telepathy being somehow non-interceptable was crushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Hmmm... something to think about: Aegis DDGs and CGs use similar principles to guide their SAMs. I've read that it's possible for even non-Aegis ships to fire off their SAMs and the Aegis can guides them in - this was apparently something the US Navy played with when they still had their Spruance-class DDs. Then when you consider that there are going to be multiple Aegis cans firing and multiple SAMs in the air... one starts wondering how the computers keep track of everything and know whose missiles to guide and whose to leave alone.
Oh, Cooperative Engagement Capability? Yes, they can do that. However, remember that:

1) Think of all the effort that went into making this work out.
2) They are pretty much handling one type of missile - the SM2, which frees them from dealing with a lot of different characteristics.
3) The SM2 is a pretty sophisticated missile, with inertial navigation and command autopilot with SARH. Aegis is thus reduced to telling it WHERE to fly rather than HOW to fly, a luxury that's not available to Pallatir VBAS with its wide compatibility.

Oh, Liingo, somehow I doubt I'll be screaming this loudly had this whole VBAS system been advertised as a Pallatir-MILAN counterpart system from the start...

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2009-04-14 at 11:34.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:12   Link #6445
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Send a message via AIM to JamesEdwards
@In General:

Honestly, why are we so hot and bothered by this guidance deal, anyway? SaintX himself hasn't even come forth to elaborate on it. I appreciate frankly the amount of intellectual muscle that has been dumped into this, but all things said, isn't it better to just leave this thing dramatic and worry about the explanations later?

I can imagine no better WTF!? situation when Marie fires off a round, Juana attempts to guide, and all of sudden, FRIENDLY FIRE! That would open up a huge can of worms and put the entire program plus the two operators themselves under investigation. Shavit is only going to roll downhill from there.

Eventually, of course, the huge gaping loop holes in the system will be fixed, but in the mean time, can't we enjoy it for what it's worth?
Old 2009-04-14, 11:19   Link #6446
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

It's ark, the professor of Mathnoverse. He brings out the worst in all of us.

Mind you he's from the Spacebattles/Star Wars vs Star Trek overanalysis side of things, interested in spreading The Word Of Arkh to us Unbelievers, that all may be saved into blessed reunion with Mother Jenova in the Church of the One-Winged Angel - whoops, wrong verse, let's try that again. Damned VGCats and Jenova's Witnesses

Basically your average dude in OCT wants to tell a story. arkh is on a mission (which has always bugged me, because he's a hongkie and hongkies are supposed to worship money, but he worships his interpretation of Suspension of Disbelief, but then it takes all kinds to make the world go round, I suppose).

Edit: As a chinese, I would like to point out that I am not being racist. I am being nationalist.

As for Numbers intercepting telepathic communications... something that bears thinking - is there some sort of autotranslator present? (The command language of the OFM is Midchildan, though everyone is multilingual. It's a sorta thing that picked up that most OFM members switch to Erusian when they want to talk privately.) And then there's hand signals - even if you can intercept hand signals, if you don't know what they are you can't really interpret them...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-04-14, 11:34   Link #6447
arkhangelsk

Agreed. I think we've all said all the opinions that can be splattered for now. I await seeing how it is implemented.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:38   Link #6448
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Post On Guidance Mechanics

Well, in that case, I have a question of my own:

"How do you guide 'magic missiles' Beyond Line of Sight?"

"How does one do MULTI-LOCK?"

Nano-verse battles, honestly, rarely do fights that take place at beyond line of sight. In fact, guidance within visual range can, I imagine, be explained reasonably with some spiritual, hot blood, magic-psychic / psycommu, True Sight link guidance system. Essentially, you only have to think it and focus, and your Accel Shooters should hopefully stay on target. Similarly, I believe, this is applied to major attacks fired from "the hip" per say because let's face it, trying to achieve accurate fire with a staff, no offense to the Jaffa of StarGate fame with their iconic Staff weapons, ain't an easy proposition, if not unpossible.

That said, what do you all got?
Old 2009-04-14, 11:42   Link #6449
Jimmy C

I suggest putting the authentication and guidance hand-off details as "classified" and simply say that no means to hack the system from the outside have yet to succeed.
Really, sometimes it's not necessary to overthink things.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:44   Link #6450
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I suggest putting the authentication and guidance hand-off details as "classified" and simply say that no means to hack the system from the outside have yet to succeed.
Really, sometimes it's not necessary to overthink things.
Dude, this is OUTER CADIA, we're all for OVERTHINKing things. It's one of the things that makes life fun around these parts.
Old 2009-04-14, 11:46   Link #6451
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEdwards View Post

Nano-verse battles, honestly, rarely do fights that take place at beyond line of sight. In fact, guidance within visual range can, I imagine, be explained reasonably with some spiritual, hot blood, magic-psychic / psycommu, True Sight link guidance system. Essentially, you only have to think it and focus, and your Accel Shooters should hopefully stay on target. Similarly, I believe, this is applied to major attacks fired from "the hip" per say because let's face it, trying to achieve accurate fire with a staff, no offense to the Jaffa of StarGate fame with their iconic Staff weapons, ain't an easy proposition, if not unpossible.

In this situation, I fall back to "It's magic" and go off to eat an orange. Failing that, it can be handwaved as "focus" or whatever.

Seriously, why does everything have to get over-teched to the last degree before it can exist? Sometimes things are neat because they can't be explained properly.
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:47   Link #6452
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:

This explanation was suggested once. It was promptly discarded and kicked to the curb by the Professor of Mathnoverse. *shrugs*

There was also a suggestion of magic rounds being guided by similar principles to psycommu. IIRC the response was "I haven't seen Gundam so I reject this reality and substitute my own" or something like that - it's been a while, and I've had more important things to worry about.

Personally, I figure it works on the same reason Newtypes can use Funnels in UC: they control things with the power of their minds. That, or a magical equivalent to Imaging IR. But I like the mind better...

...Kriss (the OC) is of the opinion that magic rounds are guided in by Love. <.<

Franz doesn't believe in magic rounds and uses dumbfire and iron sights because he figures that with his luck, somebody will figure out how to turn his guidance against him...

@EvaX: Exactly why Strip Breaker remains in play. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Then it ended up getting used on Franz, lol.

Naomi: "On one hand, I missed Tea, my target. On the other hand.... score. But he's gotta do something about all those scars..."

Also, thanks to a banner at the top, I am know considering getting deeper into Code Geass so that I can write Lelouch/Nunally. Despite not liking the show...

*gazes at his piles of kyoudai-ai fics that have yet to be completed*

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-04-14, 11:52   Link #6453
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Quote:
This explanation was suggested once. It was promptly discarded and kicked to the curb by the Professor of Mathnoverse. *shrugs*

There was also a suggestion of magic rounds being guided by similar principles to psycommu. IIRC the response was "I haven't seen Gundam so I reject this reality and substitute my own" or something like that - it's been a while, and I've had more important things to worry about.
Honestly, man, I think this is the part where Nano-verse magic has to admit aloud that it is closer to SCIENCE / technology. On the other hand, I have no reasonable explanation yet, even by my own home brew standards, for "Homing Lasers" or "Curving Particle Beams" other than it's HOT BLOOD AND MADE OF WIN! Oh, and I blame Eureka Seven for giving me renewed interest in Homing Lay-zah! Last time I was interested was Zone of the Enders 1/2 before that.
Old 2009-04-14, 11:56   Link #6454
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Let's go with HOT BLOOD AND MADE OF WIN. Makes life so much easier.

To be honest, a lot of things I've done in OC, despite the seriousness and me thinkering with the verse (I blame my Lego obsession in my childhood) were really done for lulz. Franz being a port of a certain test-cladder? lulz. Chief, Johnson and erusia as a Ace Combat world russian-inspired planet with Halo tech and guns? Lulz. Naomi voiced by Aya? Lulz and win. (Originally she was supposed to have been voiced by Kana or Ayako but then I heard God Knows and went with Aya.) Cortana being the AI of Franz's device, who gained sentience, sarcasm and snark, and then dumping him for Chief? Lulz.

As for curving beams... Theory of Narrative Causality.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-04-14, 11:57   Link #6455
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

It appears thinking in terms of his own canon no longer describes just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
Plus 3.1 is supposed to come out today so my mind is currently drifting towards that right now... >_>
So true... Has the patching program proc'd? I've been reloading the launcher for a while now but no trigger has happened. MMO-champ and Wowhead hasn't said anything yet.

Patch 3.1 is "going to change the game forever", I quote a random Biggest Loser contestant.

EDIT: The patch has happened. Sleeping now; gonna wake up early and get back in the World!

Quote:
Dude, this is OUTER CADIA, we're all for OVERTHINKing things. It's one of the things that makes life fun around these parts.
Wrong, it was one of that which killed this place if you hadn't noticed... People went overboard with the thinking, and snuffed out the life.
Old 2009-04-14, 11:58   Link #6456
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
A return to semi-active posting, I think.

Well when I find the time.
My savior returned!

Quote:
zzzzzz..........
Hai...? Oo

Quote:
Would be tomorrow for me... and all my characters are still totally broke.
Old 2009-04-14, 12:02   Link #6457
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Curving laser, homing fireballs and directional beams came the day when a sorcerer had enough with getting the pointy end of the broadsword of the dumb barbarian who wanted to take the wimmens of his harem.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 12:04   Link #6458
Tormenk

Quote:
I'm with Jimmy on this. (Actually I subscribe to the KISS principle when it comes to all matters to do with tech but anyway.)

Overthink all the crack, pairings, rivalry, relationships ie human possibilities that can be interesting all anyone wants but leave the tech out of it. Almost every profile-related tech debate about what this and that can or cannot do ultimately goes to naught since it never shows up in any form of writing or story.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 12:05   Link #6459
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
It appears thinking in terms of his own canon no longer describes just me.
Kha... you don't have a canon. You have a bunch of randomly connected crazyass ideas that are whatever strikes your fancy at any given moment.

'sides, just because you have a canon of your own doesn't mean that it departs entirely from what the series has shown. Take Stephen Hunter, who wove his Bob Lee and Earl Swagger books around reality (particularly in Pale Horse Coming, where Earl recruited Audie Murphy and a bunch of influential revolver experts - one of whom invented .44 Magnum - to head to a prison and cleanse it... "Earl Swagger is going back to Thebes...AND HELL FOLLOWS BEHIND HIM."

Quote:
Wrong, it was one of that which killed this place if you hadn't noticed... People went overboard with the thinking, and snuffed out the life.
There's also underthinking, which is just as bad. What's needed is a medium. This being an imperfect world, occasionally it will swing to both extremes. But both parts are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
I'm with Jimmy on this. (Actually I subscribe to the KISS principle when it comes to all matters to do with tech but anyway.)

Overthink all the crack, pairings, rivalry, relationships ie human possibilities that can be interesting all anyone wants but leave the tech out of it. Almost every profile-related tech debate about what this and that can or cannot do ultimately goes to naught since it never shows up in any form of writing or story.
Actually I have intentions to use the stuff that I've thought up, but ya know, development hell, lol

Though KISS is actively used by Franz in shooting; all his ranged attack spells are sighted and fired. (Though Lightning Breaker and Divine Buster are fired from the hip, aimed at the general direction of the enemy and hitting through lots of practice for firing at the hip, large beams, and hot blooded courage. But when the enemy's beam swallows up the beam Franz fires....)

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-04-14, 12:40   Link #6460
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Kha... you don't have a canon. You have a bunch of randomly connected crazyass ideas that are whatever strikes your fancy at any given moment.
And your epeen goodness of the spez and military-whatnot isn't crazyass? Just because everything is found IRL doesn't mean you have a canon either, nor does it mean anyone else who isn't into Serious Business has no canon whatsoever. And if you actually bothered to read this thread recently, good Sir, beyond your idol James, you would see that when I make, I make characters, not canon. I think in terms of how things affect them, and how they affect the world around them, and from there continue on via the degrees of relation.

Don't you impress your misguided, biased and very outdated view of the dead bloke named Kha on me.

Quote:
There's also underthinking, which is just as bad. What's needed is a medium. This being an imperfect world, occasionally it will swing to both extremes. But both parts are needed.
And which part of SaintX's work was underthinking? And by describing something as underthinking, what are you saying of the person? Have you even thought about that?

Balance schmalance. There are accepted standards, and there are silly standards, and then there are double standards and standards we can do without. Overthinking is certainly something we can do without, and one of the reasons why "underthinking" even happens is that common sense isn't that common.

I say one of the reasons, because the rampant overthinking before has led to a countercurrent favoring underthinking. Being too specific has shown to just invite hawks.

Quote:
Actually I have intentions to use the stuff that I've thought up, but ya know, development hell, lol
And once again you demonstrate that you have double standards. If you actually bothered to change, we might've given you a chance.

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content