AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-10-31, 10:54   Link #121
willx
Nyaaan~~

I think the only SW IP that I would be happy to be seen made into a movie now is anything from the "Old Republic" .. then again I'm much less of a fan of the whole trilogy setting..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 10:59   Link #122
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
A Star Wars sequel seems pretty necessary though.
I always assumed new Star Wars movies would be announced at one point or another, so this does not change things much for me in the long run.
Old 2012-10-31, 11:02   Link #123
AnimeFan188

"The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015.
Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke
Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film
released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars"
movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as the creative consultant for the
new movies."

See:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=771595

Looks like they're going to go beyond the "trilogy of trilogies" that Lucas originally
had in mind.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 11:34   Link #124
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015.
Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film
movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as the creative consultant for the
new movies."

See:

Looks like they're going to go beyond the "trilogy of trilogies" that Lucas originally
had in mind.
It's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 11:42   Link #125
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Yep, they own everything, but in my opinion, I think they might look into getting in the Anime business as well (I know that they have WDA Japan (btw, that did classic like Darkwing Dark, Gaygorles, and other) was shut down in 2005). But I think that with the success that they had with Kingdom Hearts. I think they might try to get their hands into the Anime pot if they want.
They already got the likes of CGI anime Fireball. Disney sort of realised that there is no point doing anime by proxy, they would just let Disney Japan do their own thing.

Quote:
new movies."

See:

had in mind.
That is going to be... tragic.

How the HELL are they suppose to use Luke, Leia and Han Solo? That's just shooting themselves in the foot before the movie had a chance to get off the ground!

Start a NEW franchise damn it! I mean, Star Trek got PICCARD to be the Captain in ST The New Generation for a reason. This is going to be sad... Unless someone knock them back to their senses in the next year or so.
Old 2012-10-31, 11:44   Link #126
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

That is going to be... tragic.
I know... Let Star Wars Legend be a Legend and not be corrupted even more.... Too much of something will be boring....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 11:48   Link #127
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I know... Let Star Wars Legend be a Legend and not be corrupted even more.... Too much of something will be boring....
The issue is bringing back the original trilogy characters, which entitles either using the original old actors or brand new people.

This just flat out won't work either way. What Star Wars needs is NEW fans. This means a new fresh set of faces and characters who aren't tied up with the old plotline. I do wonder... Does Disney WANT to fail?
Old 2012-10-31, 12:15   Link #128
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
What do you mean?

That duck billed bitch got blown to pieces on Alderaan with EVERY other Alderanian ALL of whose deaths are his fucking fault!!
Do you not miss this?
Quote:
"My forgotten, da Bosses will do terrible tings to me TERRRRRIBLE is me going back der!" - Jar Jar Binks
What great writing..
Old 2012-10-31, 12:16   Link #129
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
the only anime company that make sense for disney the buy will be Ghibli but i doubt that will happen. at least not before Hayao Miyazaki death.

actually is there any recent news about western company buying eastern company?
I remember that Softbank brought 70% of Sprint, just a couple of weeks ago. I think there will be a few more as well.
Old 2012-10-31, 13:22   Link #130
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
That duck billed bitch got blown to pieces on Alderaan with EVERY other Alderanian ALL of whose deaths are his fucking fault!!
Jar Jar is from Naboo, not Alderaan...
Old 2012-10-31, 13:26   Link #131
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wookieepedia places former Senator Binks on Coruscant when it was liberated by the New Republic.
Old 2012-10-31, 13:53   Link #132
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

To be honest, I don't see Star Wars being harmed overly by this news. For one thing, Star Wars lost any "purity" it had with the prequel movies and reams of mediocre tie ins and merchandise. As I see it, these new movies will either reinvigorate the franchise (let's face it, taking Lucas out of the director's chair can only be a good thing), or finally kill it, and hopefully leave room for something else to take it's place(Gundam anyone?).

As for the details of the film itself... I find it interesting. They've said they want to continue the stories of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, but the practical difficulties are considerable. All 3 are quite old, and Harrison Ford in particular is a very high profile actor. All 3 would likely demand big price tags, and we can't even be sure they'd be up for making such films. I'd say the script would need to be mighty good to get them on board. Due to the age of the actors, it would have to take place when they're all quite old, which may make for an interesting story.

They've also stated they're not adapting any of the novels, I'd say that's probably a wise move, as most of the fandom has never read any of them. They may as well start with something new, specifically written for film.

Of course, how do you continue from the resolution of Return of the Jedi? At the end of RotJ the Emperor is destroyed, as are all the Sith, and we see scenes of jubilation as the Empire is overthrown. How do you bring in a new villain then? Having the Sith, or imperial remnants, survive RotJ would cheapen the conclusion of that movie. Bringing in a new "cosmic threat" would be weird, while having the New Republic suffer a civil war would be a bit too cynical for what is otherwise a fairly idealistic franchise.

The tricky problem, is that Star Wars movies depend on having a good vs. evil conflict at their core. The ending of RotJ makes it difficult to imagine one, after all evil has already been vanquished.

There are other problems. Han and Leia end RotJ in a relationship. Watch such a relationship play out on screen will probably feel a lot more like bad Fanfic then anything else. Unless they conspire to split them up.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 14:17   Link #133
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
As I see it, these new movies will either reinvigorate the franchise (let's face it, taking Lucas out of the director's chair can only be a good thing), or finally kill it, and hopefully leave room for something else to take it's place(Gundam anyone?).
Now now, as bad as the prequels are, much of the Gundam franchise aren't much better, if at all

I have mixed feelings on their decision to go with an original story. On the one hand it allows for much more room and flexibility, on the other hand there's the possibility that they'll swat the entire EU away.

Quote:
Of course, how do you continue from the resolution of Return of the Jedi? At the end of RotJ the Emperor is destroyed, as are all the Sith, and we see scenes of jubilation as the Empire is overthrown. How do you bring in a new villain then? Having the Sith, or imperial remnants, survive RotJ would cheapen the conclusion of that movie. Bringing in a new "cosmic threat" would be weird, while having the New Republic suffer a civil war would be a bit too cynical for what is otherwise a fairly idealistic franchise.
This is a problem completely of Lucas' doing, since he added all those pointless scenes of celebration. One battle does not a war make, especially in an intergalatic war

Quote:
There are other problems. Han and Leia end RotJ in a relationship. Watch such a relationship play out on screen will probably feel a lot more like bad Fanfic then anything else. Unless they conspire to split them up.
Why would it? o.o
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 14:27   Link #134
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Now now, as bad as the prequels are, much of the Gundam franchise aren't much better, if at all
Well, that's true, but what I meant was that at some point the Hollywood suits will try and remake Gundam.

And it could be amazing.
Quote:
I have mixed feelings on their decision to go with an original story. On the one hand it allows for much more room and flexibility, on the other hand there's the possibility that they'll swat the entire EU away.
It's not unprecedented, last I checked, the prequel movies didn't obey the expanded universe much either.

Personally, I think sticking with EU would just put the film makers in a creative strait jacket. Anyway, if we start caring too much about continuity, Star Wars will just end out like Marvel or DC.

They should focus on making a quality movie, rather then try to be compatible with EU books that only a relatively small number of hardcore fans have ever read. Anyway, if it's a good film, the fans will forgive these things.

They should avoid blatant discontinuities with the other mainline films though (IE Episodes I-VI, but not Clone Wars, or the Star Wars Christmas Special).
Old 2012-10-31, 14:29   Link #135
james0246

Quote:
The tricky problem, is that Star Wars movies depend on having a good vs. evil conflict at their core.
Since this is the force we're talking about, a lot of the actual character conflict comes from within. How our decisions affect us and the world around us. If Disney had the balls, they could construct a fairly powerful philosophical character drama (or at least a half-assed one like the Nolan Batman trilogy) about the nature of good and evil within individuals. (Of course, there would still be some sort of galactic conflict, but that would merely be a mirror for the internal conflict.)

Last edited by james0246; 2012-10-31 at 16:10.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 14:34   Link #136
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Since this is the force we're talking about, a lot of the actual character conflict comes from within. How are decisions affect us and the world around us. If Disney had the balls, they could construct a fairly powerful philosophical character drama (or at least a half-assed one like the Nolan Batman trilogy) about the nature of good and evil within individuals. (Of course, there would still be some sort of galactic conflict, but that would be merely an mirror for the internal conflict.)
Could make an interesting film, but I don't see it working. Mostly because isn't that what the prequels were all about? IE the inner conflict Anakin Skywalker has?

Also, even if you do have a conflicted character, you still need to have a greater evil then that. An hour and a half hour film about a guy fighting an internal philosophical battle may be great, but it wouldn't really be Star Wars, would it? Where would be the space battles? The Jedi vs. Sith light-saber fights?
Old 2012-10-31, 16:15   Link #137
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Adaptation of novels into screenplays is a normal thing in Hollywood. "The Hobbit" for example comes out with part one of three in December.
Old 2012-10-31, 16:31   Link #138
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Disney bought Lucasfilm to save the world from another George Lucas-directed trilogy. They'll let the Lucasfilm graphics-and-stuff guys do their job without the Lucas burden. Or something.

[/fridge logic]
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 16:51   Link #139
Destined_Fate

Quote:
new movies."

See:

had in mind.
Oh.. My... Gawd... The milking. The poor Star Wars fans, they will feel obligated to watch every release, and give them a chance, and their rage will push them towards the Dark Side of the Force.

Though at least this means that eventually the novels might get on the big screen. We could use a female lead even if she has weird desires to bed two love interests at the same time which is understandable, they're hot studs.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 16:52   Link #140
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Wookieepedia places former Senator Binks on Coruscant when it was liberated by the New Republic.
Well ain't that a bitch. The war criminal responsible for Palpatine's ride did not get its just desserts.

Original Trilogy Actors, now? I'm guessing Botox must have bought Disney too!

Tags
star wars