AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-18, 09:24   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 533 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2009-02-18, 09:41   Link #2
marvelB

Yesiree, the spoilers have come out (credit goes to aohige for the summary translation):

-Back on Momonga's ship, the vice-admiral is told that the Yonkou Kaidou was ready to make an attack on Whitebeard, only to be intercepted by fellow emperor Shanks....

-Luffy's group are at level 4, the "inferno hell". Prisoners can be seen falling into the giant pot for torture. Meanwhile, we see a bloody Daz Bones (aka Mr. 1), who seems to be doing some sort of hard labor.

-The rest of the guardian beasts appear: There's the minokoala (who we saw with Sadi a couple chapters ago, and is aggressive), the minorhino (who is reserved), and the minozebra (who is shy of strangers). The guards report to Magellan (who's busy taking a dump, lol ), that Luffy's group reached level 4 by falling through the venting hole that Bon-chan pointed out to Luffy last chapter.

-It looks like Luffy's group splits up in teams of two (Buggy/Mr. 3, and Luffy/Bon Clay. t the end of the chapter Luffy and Bon-chan run into Magellan, who calls the two of them rats......

Yowza, what a chapter! So now the other Yonkou are on the move, eh? Maybe we'll actually take a sneak peek into the skirmish between Shanks and Kaidou in the near future. I just wonder when we'll at least learn the name of the last emperor.....

And I gotta say.... those guardians sure have unique designs. The zebra is my favorite out of them, followed by the koala. I guess Buggy and Mr. 3 will face off against those guys (probably with the assistance of Daz if he's willing to help) while Luffy and Bon Clay face off against Magellan.

Oh, and unfortunately, there's no chapter next week. Looks like Oda's taking the week off. Well, I have no problem waiting, that's for sure!
Old 2009-02-18, 09:56   Link #3
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos

noooooooo...... now i feel so sad after hearing tt there is no one piece next week.
i seriously dun think luffy and bon clay is able to take on magellan at this point. all 4 of them are needed to take out the minotaur and thus i dun see how they are going to take on the chief warden who is a devil fruit user. even with mr 1 joining luffy, it will still be tough cos i dun see how sword can cut thru poison
Old 2009-02-18, 10:05   Link #4
marvelB

I think that would depend on whether or not Magellan is a Logia. If he's not, then the only thing Luffy and Bon Clay need to worry about is finding an antidote for the poison (because I highly doubt that they can beat him unscathed). If he IS a Logia.... then that's more of a problem. Of course, that would make a good opportunity for Luffy to use Haki against him, but it still won't be an easy battle.....

Oh, and a pic of the guardians (there's no pictures of Kaidou, so don't bother asking):

Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-18, 10:20   Link #5
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yesiree, the spoilers have come out (credit goes to aohige for the summary translation):

-Back on Momonga's ship, the vice-admiral is told that the Yonkou Kaidou was ready to make an attack on Whitebeard, only to be intercepted by fellow emperor Shanks....
Sounds like Shanks is letting Whitebeard do what he has to do without any interference. I don't suppose there's at least a picture silhouette of Kaidou to be seen is there?

Quote:
-Luffy's group are at level 4, the "inferno hell". Prisoners can be seen falling into the giant pot for torture. Meanwhile, we see a bloody Daz Bones (aka Mr. 1), who seems to be doing some sort of hard labor.
I wonder how Daz Bones looks since the Baroque Works saga?

Quote:
-The rest of the guardian beasts appear: There's the minokoala (who we saw with Sadi a couple chapters ago, and is aggressive), the minorhino (who is reserved), and the minozebra (who is shy of strangers). The guards report to Magellan (who's busy taking a dump, lol ), that Luffy's group reached level 4 by falling through the venting hole that Bon-chan pointed out to Luffy last chapter.
Think we can see a picture of them? Also, wasn't there a mention about a gaurdian beast that looked like an elephant? And as for Magellan, he should think about changing his diet once in a while.

Quote:
-It looks like Luffy's group splits up in teams of two (Buggy/Mr. 3, and Luffy/Bon Clay. At the end of the chapter Luffy and Bon-chan run into Magellan, who calls the two of them rats......
I hope they didn't encounter Magellan during his dirrahea breaks. < Ewww!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Yowza, what a chapter! So now the other Yonkou are on the move, eh? Maybe we'll actually take a sneak peek into the skirmish between Shanks and Kaidou in the near future. I just wonder when we'll at least learn the name of the last emperor.....
We should certainly hope so.

Quote:
I guess Buggy and Mr. 3 will face off against those guys (probably with the assistance of Daz if he's willing to help) while Luffy and Bon Clay face off against Magellan.
Well, who's going to free Daz Bones from his prediciment if he's going to help?

Quote:
Oh, and unfortunately, there's no chapter next week. Looks like Oda's taking the week off. Well, I have no problem waiting, that's for sure!
I wonder what the reason for his week off is for this time? (thinking)<Hmmmm...
Old 2009-02-18, 10:58   Link #6
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Sounds like Shanks is letting Whitebeard do what he has to do without any interference. I don't suppose there's at least a picture silhouette of Kaidou to be seen is there?
It seems to be just a report Momonga gets - no visuals, it seems. Certainly nothing in the scans...

Quote:
I wonder how Daz Bones looks since the Baroque Works saga?
Physically no different, though he's in prisoner clothes now.

Quote:
Think we can see a picture of them? Also, wasn't there a mention about a gaurdian beast that looked like an elephant? And as for Magellan, he should think about changing his diet once in a while.
We only saw silhouettes last time, so elephant was a guess. We get full pics of the remaining 3 guardian beasts.

Incidentally, Magellan tells Hanyabel to protect the stairs to Level 3, and Sadi-chan and the beasts to protect the stairs to Level 5.

Quote:
I hope they didn't encounter Magellan during his dirrahea breaks. < Ewww!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope, he jumped down from above it seems - he lands with a heavy thud and just before Bon Clay is shouting "Straw-chan, above you!".

btw, it seems Magellan likes being in confined places - I'm not sure he was necessarily taking a dump. Also, Sadi-chan seems to like Magellan's poison breath

Quote:
Well, who's going to free Daz Bones from his prediciment if he's going to help?
If/when Luffy starts getting wild, then the collateral damage could allow for all sorts of possibilities. Also, given that the prisoners on Level 4 are being painfully executed (one is screaming that his internal organs are burning), I think they'll jump at any chance to escape.

Quote:
I wonder what the reason for his week off is for this time? (thinking)<Hmmmm...
I would see it as a regular break and ignore the official excuse.
Old 2009-02-18, 11:26   Link #7
marvelB

Heh, I kinda wish that Daz was still in his superhero garb from the ministory. Maybe if (when) he busts out of Impel Down, he may decide to become a vigilante instead of an assassin....

Oh, and I already posted the pic of the guardians in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Incidentally, Magellan tells Hanyabel to protect the stairs to Level 3, and Sadi-chan and the beasts to protect the stairs to Level 5.

Dang, if Hannyabal went back up a couple of levels then we may not see any action from him for a while. I still have the feeling that Buggy and Galdino will run into the guardians, though ('cause judging from the pics, it indeed looks like they split from Luffy and Bon-chan). Those two guys will probably be the first ones to find Daz as well, seeing as they were the ones to free Bon Clay on level 3.....
Old 2009-02-18, 11:51   Link #8
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

though Shanks may have had a skermish with Kiadou, that still does not mean that the rest of the Yonkou will help out as well. that would be an intresting situtation to see that not all of them are honorable as Shanks. though in saying that i doubt that Shanks is doing this without anything in it for him.
Old 2009-02-18, 11:59   Link #9
Master Mold
Banned

Well at least Luffy and that poison dude are face to face by the end of this chapter, & I hate the new rule Oda, "I can talk about it, But I won't show it. not anytime soon at least." but it cool to see things get down to the nit and grit with Luffy, and Mr 1 is always good.
Old 2009-02-18, 12:01   Link #10
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Dang, if Hannyabal went back up a couple of levels then we may not see any action from him for a while.
Hannyabal will be on Level 4, protecting access to the staircase to Level 3... not actually up on Level 3!

If there is a prison riot, he might find himself in the path of a lot of desperate prisoners...

Incidentally, this week he's craving for Magellan's nice deep chair

Quote:
I still have the feeling that Buggy and Galdino will run into the guardians, though ('cause judging from the pics, it indeed looks like they split from Luffy and Bon-chan). Those two guys will probably be the first ones to find Daz as well, seeing as they were the ones to free Bon Clay on level 3.....
I think if they run into the guardians first, they'll be dead rather quickly... but then again, if they do and manage to run away a bit, will the guardians go after them? After all, they're supposed to protect the staircase, which means they should stay there. They probably don't want to go down to Level 5 anyway...

They've been doing an okay job of freeing prisoners so far, so it'd probably be best to continue that way. The more the merrier...
Old 2009-02-18, 12:26   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Hannyabal will be on Level 4, protecting access to the staircase to Level 3... not actually up on Level 3!

If there is a prison riot, he might find himself in the path of a lot of desperate prisoners...

Incidentally, this week he's craving for Magellan's nice deep chair

Ah, that's a different story, then! We already had a missed opportunity with Saldeath, so I don't want to see any other unique-looking characters taking a backseat. In that case, I guess Buggy and Galdino will run into Hannyabal while attempting to escape to the higher levels.....

Quote:
I think if they run into the guardians first, they'll be dead rather quickly... but then again, if they do and manage to run away a bit, will the guardians go after them? After all, they're supposed to protect the staircase, which means they should stay there. They probably don't want to go down to Level 5 anyway...

They've been doing an okay job of freeing prisoners so far, so it'd probably be best to continue that way. The more the merrier...

I'm not entirely certain that those two guys will go down that easily.... or at least Buggy, anyway. Just one of Buggy's bombs were strong enough to wound the minotaur last chapter, so if he threw a bunch of them at once, he'd have a chance of winning against the other guardians.... though he'd undoubtedly blow up all of level 4 in the process.

But sure, those two guys can just stick to freeing prisoners, but I dunno if many of the level 4 prisoners are strong enough to fight against the guardians (Daz definitely should be, but he's just one guy...). Maybe if Arlong is imprisoned in that level he'd join the battle as well.....
Old 2009-02-18, 12:58   Link #12
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Kaidou attacking Whitebeard along with Shanks intercepting his attack was a very unexpected development for me in this chapter. I hope he does manage to inflict some damage on Whitebeard before advancing to save Ace because that decrepit fossil needs to die already. Death is imminent for Whitebeard and if Kaidou can help speed up the process, I'm all for that. Furthermore, it seems to me that Kaidou is turning out to be more of a villain than a good guy; and if that's the case, I will be really happy with his alignment since I feel there at least needs to be one villain in the Yonkou.
Old 2009-02-18, 13:20   Link #13
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Kaidou attacking Whitebeard along with Shanks intercepting his attack was a very unexpected development for me in this chapter. I hope he does manage to inflict some damage on Whitebeard before advancing to save Ace because that decrepit fossil needs to die already. Death is imminent for Whitebeard and if Kaidou can help speed up the process, I'm all for that. Furthermore, it seems to me that Kaidou is turning out to be more of a villain than a good guy; and if that's the case, I will be really happy with his alignment since I feel there at least needs to be one villain in the Yonkou.
lol, whats with the Whitebeard hate?
Old 2009-02-18, 13:30   Link #14
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
lol, whats with the Whitebeard hate?
I just don't like that old fart. Sure he's a great and incredibly powerful pirate but he's such a snob. He's ridiculously arrogant, disrespectful, stubborn, and considers everyone else to be inferior to him. Someone really needs to put him in his place, especially now that his time of glory is up. Kaidou messing around with him will be a nice prelude to the massacre and death that soon await him.
Old 2009-02-18, 13:40   Link #15
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
I just don't like that old fart. Sure he's a great and incredibly powerful pirate but he's such a snob. He's ridiculously arrogant, disrespectful, stubborn, and considers everyone else to be inferior to him. Someone really needs to put him in his place, especially now that his time of glory is up. Kaidou messing around with him will be a nice prelude to the massacre and death that soon await him.
He has the right to do some of that stuff you mentioned, but then again Whitebeard's does not consider everyone inferior to him, he gives respect when its due. Heck he helps out other pirates, and is a father to his crewmen.

BTW Kaidou seems to have lost some of his coolness, how you get into a quick pushing match and get stopped?
Old 2009-02-18, 13:49   Link #16
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
He has the right to do some of that stuff you mentioned, but then again Whitebeard's does not consider everyone inferior to him, he gives respect when its due. Heck he helps out other pirates, and is a father to his crewmen.
True he gives respect to those that are widely known (i.e. Sengoku, Garp, Shanks), but he still considers himself above them. His elitist attitude makes me sick, but the good thing about that is that will ultimately be his downfall. C'mon guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants Whitebeard to die right?
Old 2009-02-18, 13:57   Link #17
marvelB

I'll admit that I didn't care much for Whitebeard myself at first.... that is, until his meeting with Shanks, during which he said he considers his crewmen to be his "sons". I also remember liking him more when Oda mentioned in the 10th treasures book that Whitebeard was based on an old bartender he knew who had a pretty similar personality (and he even had the same life support equipment!). But yeah, I still see ol' Newgate as being a little too arrogant for his own good, despite his reputation. I fully believe that his downfall is inevitable.....

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Hancock was onboard the battleship with Momonga, so it looks like she won't be able to help Luffy now..... a shame, really (at least there's still Jinbei....). There's 29 hours left until Ace's execution, which means that 4 hours passed since Luffy's arrival. Who knows how much chaos will ensue in a little 1 day's time......
Old 2009-02-18, 13:57   Link #18
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
True he gives respect to those that are widely known (i.e. Sengoku, Garp, Shanks), but he still considers himself above them. His elitist attitude makes me sick, but the good thing about that is that will ultimately be his downfall. C'mon guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants Whitebeard to die right?
Well he is above them, if he was not Whitebeard would not have the title of the strongest. If it was all show and no go, I would dislike Whitebeard also, but since its not, he's cool in my book. Kaidou now just feels like someone Luffy is bound to take out. Out of the 3 Yonkou we have a bit of info on he seems like the weakest.
Old 2009-02-18, 14:30   Link #19
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Well he is above them, if he was not Whitebeard would not have the title of the strongest. If it was all show and no go, I would dislike Whitebeard also, but since its not, he's cool in my book. Kaidou now just feels like someone Luffy is bound to take out. Out of the 3 Yonkou we have a bit of info on he seems like the weakest.
I know what you mean. Since he has the title of "Strongest Man in the World", he is above everyone else in terms of power. Regarding his title though, I wonder how many people have actually challenged him ever since the demise of Roger. Considering how Whitebeard was the only person to have ever fought on equal terms with Roger, it was only right that after the death of the pirate king he be crowned the "Strongest Man in the World"; the next best thing or his successor if you will. But if no one else has challenged him since then while he has been roaming around doing as he pleases, I wonder if he really is the strongest right now. Regardless, he is still the strongest until proven otherwise. My problem with him is that I don't like how he looks down on everyone else; he is a pirate just like many others, only difference being that he is the strongest there is and usurps lands as his territory. I guess you could say that his attitude is justified somewhat, but I still consider him an arrogant old fart nonetheless.

As for Kaidou, yeah it does seem like he is being set up as a villain. Should Luffy ever cross paths with the Yonkou in the New World, he most likely will have to contend with Kaidou in order to proceed further on his journey.
Old 2009-02-18, 14:37   Link #20
james0246

Quote:
I certainly want Whitebeard to fall (I have been calling for Whitebeard's death for a year or so now ), if for no other reason than to move the story in an interesting direction, but I do not really see Whitebeard's arrogance as being an overpowering trait, nor do I see him as being more arrogant than the Shichibukai or various villains in the series (Whitebeard hasn't labeled himself a God just yet ). Whitebeard is supposedly equal to the greatest pirate of all time, so doesn't he deserve to be a bit proud arrogant? And, if Whitebeard has encountered the other "Old Timers" in the past and, seemingly, come out ahead, shouldn't he have the right to act superior to them (Sengoku, Garp, Shanks, Mihawk, etc)? Arrogance in the face of unknown adversity is one thing, but Whitebeard seems to have arrogance in the face of known adversity.

That being said, when you get right down to it, aren't most characters in One Piece a bit arrogant? For example, Luffy believes that he should fulfill his dream of becoming Pirate King, but when you really think about it, why should Luffy deserve the title, there have been people fighting for the title longer than Luffy has been alive, and have gone through similar situations to Luffy, so why does Luffy believe that he can attain or deserve the title? Simply because he believes in himself? Doesn't it take a bit of arrogance to even attempt to attain such a title?

Quote:
Why is Kaidou the weaker member now? He was attempting to defeat Whitebeard. True, he may have attacked in a sneaky manner, but to still attempt to fight Whitebeard implies that Kaidou is not that far removed in strength from Whitebeard (considering that Kaidou attacked because he believed that he could win).

That being said, I agree that Kaidou seems to be turning into the villain (or at least the more cut-throat) of the Yonkou.

---

This is a fun chapter. I love the various Head Animal Guard designs (I have never seen a more freakier Elephant, and I saw the recent Horton Hears a Who and the rhino was beautifully misshapen). I hope that the Magellan/Luffy fight starts up next chapter. I am eager to see what Magellan can really do.
Closed Thread