Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-04, 01:09   Link #1
Rheinhard
Feldmarschall

Send a message via AIM to Rheinhard
Legend of Galactic Heroes

Hey, with this nickname, I thought I'd kick off a thread for discussion of the greatest anime SF epic ever, Legend of the Galactic Heroes! (Now if only I could figure out how to set an appropriate avatar pic!)

Here's a list of links to resources on the series:
If you want to learn more about this show, the best English language web resource is http://www.logh.net

There is a subsection of the above page containing the LoGH pages that used to be maintained by "Ming" at Stony Brook, but which no longer exist there. I felt these were some of the nicest looking LoGH pages around, and had a great list of quick links. Check out http://www.logh.net/minglogh/LoGH.html

For info on the LoGH mailing list, the oldest and most clued-in community of LoGH fans on the net, check http://www.logh.net/loghlist/info.html

Also if you are interested in seeing an English language DVD release of this series, be sure to check out the AnimeOnDVD discussion at http://forums.animeondvd.com/showthr...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Rheinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 02:08   Link #2
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheinhard
Hey, with this nickname, I thought I'd kick off a thread for discussion of the greatest anime SF epic ever, Legend of the Galactic Heroes! (Now if only I could figure out how to set an appropriate avatar pic!)
What did you want to talk about for this anime? I got interested back in 199X with a VHS fan sub of the movie... anime was hard to get back then.
When I saw it I knew that it was probably a loooooooong running series... plus the song "Bolero" is now permanently associated in my mind with huge white spaceships.

I was thrilled when someone digitized the old 40 ep fansub and put it up here on animesuki. I seeded it for quite a while, but few people were interested in watching it. Maybe the VHS quality was too bad for people to want to stick with it. Has there been any change in someone fansubbing past ep 40?

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 10:56   Link #3
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I've seen like 42 episodes and a short OVA about Reindhardt and Kircheise ('On Golden Wings' I think it was) on VHS years ago, then the digitized 40 episodes and the two movies...then someone did a sub using DVD source, and it was absolutely gorgeous. They only did that one episode though, to my knowledge.

This is an excellent series, and I'm suprised that it doesn't have a much more prominent place in the anime community, especially among those that like really character and plot heavy stories.

I really hope the english release works out, I have no clue how many signatures they've gotten on the official request list. I know several people that have signed it. Last I'd heard they were about halfway to the minimum signatures required for them to commit to a North American english release.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 23:50   Link #4
Rheinhard
Feldmarschall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
I've seen like 42 episodes and a short OVA about Reindhardt and Kircheise ('On Golden Wings' I think it was) on VHS years ago, then the digitized 40 episodes and the two movies...then someone did a sub using DVD source, and it was absolutely gorgeous. They only did that one episode though, to my knowledge.
Yes, I too have only seen that one digisubbed episode. It would be nice to see the other episodes for which scripts exist done this way, might help further interest in the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
This is an excellent series, and I'm suprised that it doesn't have a much more prominent place in the anime community, especially among those that like really character and plot heavy stories.
I quite agree -- it seems from some of the comments on the AnimeOnDVD thread that some of the newer fans got into it because they enjoyed Crest of the Stars and wanted to find more things like that.

I have maintained for many years, though, that the true audience for this series in the USA is not to be found so much among anime fans as it is among literary and serious science fiction fans (people who like the works of Isaac Asimov, and enjoyed Babylon 5 for example). This was why I made an effort to promote the show at the 2001 World Science Fiction Convention in Philadelphia. Of course, I was helped by the fact the Mr. Yukio Kikukawa, producer of the LoGH anime, was also in attendance because he is a part of the "Worldcon in Japan 2007" bid committee! Man, what a great bid party they threw! I think a lot of anime fans would have kicked themselves for not attending Worldcon, since among the committee members hosting their party was the producer of Tenchi Muyo!, the producer of Galactic Heroes, and more! And you could just hang and chat with them! At an anime con these people would have a GoH panel and then be shuffled off so the regular fans wouldn't have a chance to mingle with them.
Old 2003-11-05, 04:00   Link #5
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

Honestly after watching this series ... it has changed my way of thinking about this world.

e.g. Yang's ideal and prospective about life

As far as I am concerned LoGH will always be my favorite series. The plot is just huge. The space battles were done very nicely.

Spoiler:

I have finished the entire TV series and the OVA
and 3 of the sidestories ... (I think I still miss one or two of them)

Last edited by 144M_HYPERION; 2003-11-05 at 22:03.
144M_HYPERION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 06:27   Link #6
beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 144M_HYPERION
Spoiler:

thanks..for spoiling..alot

Last edited by Rama; 2003-11-18 at 10:09.
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 17:21   Link #7
okashi
okashinaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 144M_HYPERION
Spoiler:
Idiot use the freakin spoiler tags!!

Last edited by okashi; 2003-11-06 at 12:33.
okashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 22:06   Link #8
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

err ... sorry about it guys ...

Spoiler tag is now in place ...

Is that really a spoiler for LoGH ???
If you watch the OVA or a partial of the TV series ... you already know there is alot of death involved ...

A Fleet of 15,000 ships with at least 2 million troops going to battle for both side ... if there is no death then what is it that you expect?

Last edited by 144M_HYPERION; 2003-11-05 at 23:30.
Old 2003-11-06, 13:14   Link #9
Kail
Lunar Translator

Legend of Galactic heroes has on VHS that i have found up to ep 45 subed, and a few of the side story serries, and the 2 movies.

As for that DVD source subbing we at Lunar Anime are doing it. We have been going slow do to sound problems in ep 2 raw and our translator for the serries disapeared. We should be getting episode 2 out soon. As for the rest i cant say how long It will take it is a hard serries to translate. We do plan on getting all 110 ep done eventually.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 17:04   Link #10
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kail
We do plan on getting all 110 ep done eventually.
One small problem, how can I be da man when you da man?

What's the feedback on this fansub compared to the rest of the shows that y'all do?

Also, does having a previous subtitled set help?

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 18:23   Link #11
musouka

Quote:
and our translator for the serries disapeared.
You, uh, seem kinda happy about that.

All kidding aside, though, it's really nice to know we'll be seeing more high quality rips in the future. It's a series I'm definitely keeping an eye on, even as I'm forced to download the others out of desperation.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 19:36   Link #12
Kail
Lunar Translator

We do have Anime Centrals scripts for the Logh. And yes they do help a lot. If it wasn't for those it would take a long time every episode. Logh has a lot of talking

As for my been happy that we lost the translator. I am a happy guy dont let things like that get me down.
Old 2003-11-07, 00:06   Link #13
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Here's one humble fan paying respects to the best and greatest anime series ever.

From the timeles theme of war and peace to the huge cast, the grandiose battles, the politics, the detailed characterization, the sense of history being molded by the individuals, and the sense of history repeating itself; the solid dialog, the sheer genius of the most gifted characters; the vast, vaaaast, vaaaaaaaaast scenarios; the interesting and often sharp ideas about government, democracy, loyalty, courage, pacifism, nation-building and character-building; the all-Classical soundtrack, to the thrill of knowing that war makes no exceptions and favorite characters may die any moment, even in the most ignoble way; I have never enjoyed a story so much.

The first movie, with thousands and thousands of ships engaged in gracile and lethal combat at the rythm of Bolero, is my most unforgettable anime memory.

One is also hoping that somebody picks the novels. I read a couple of chapters available a long ago, and the anime is very faithful. I think they would be a hit with science fiction fans.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 00:21   Link #14
Rheinhard
Feldmarschall

Quote:
As for that DVD source subbing we at Lunar Anime are doing it.
That's great Kail! I have seen your episode 1 sub and was pleased to see such work on this series by a fine digisub group.

I assume all y'all who have been posting about your views on the show have also joined the LoGH mailing list? If not, get thee hence to the LoGH Info Center and sign up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
The first movie, with thousands and thousands of ships engaged in gracile and lethal combat at the rythm of Bolero, is my most unforgettable anime memory.
Too true... I know a few people who have become more interested in classical music as a result of this series. Lee Thompson, owner of the Info Center, once said to me that after watching Reinhard's fleet dock at Iserlohn from that movie, he wondered what the music was. When he found out he thought, "I just listened to Swan Lake... and liked it?!"

To close, I just have one question for you Kail -- how did you set such a perfect avatar pic? I tried to edit my profile to use my standard self-icon (the drawing of me in my LoGH Admiral uniform by Sachiko Kamimura after Anime Expo in the October 99 issue of Animage) but couldn't set the avatar to anything save the standard list...
Old 2003-11-12, 00:41   Link #15
Rheinhard
Feldmarschall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheinhard
To close, I just have one question for you Kail -- how did you set such a perfect avatar pic? I tried to edit my profile to use my standard self-icon (the drawing of me in my LoGH Admiral uniform by Sachiko Kamimura after Anime Expo in the October 99 issue of Animage) but couldn't set the avatar to anything save the standard list...
Woops... never mind.
Old 2003-11-15, 10:18   Link #16
Kail
Lunar Translator

"To close, I just have one question for you Kail -- how did you set such a perfect avatar pic? I tried to edit my profile to use my standard self-icon (the drawing of me in my LoGH Admiral uniform by Sachiko Kamimura after Anime Expo in the October 99 issue of Animage) but couldn't set the avatar to anything save the standard list..."

Hehe seems im a bit late to tell you how to do it. My Avatar was drawen By a nice Logh fan. Thought it was perfact because im a Logh Obsessed person. It was also small enough that I didnt have to srink it much so was a perfact fit.
Old 2003-11-16, 01:56   Link #17
eiri

Quote:
Legend of Galactic heroes has on VHS that i have found up to ep 45 subed, and a few of the side story serries, and the 2 movies.

As for that DVD source subbing we at Lunar Anime are doing it. We have been going slow do to sound problems in ep 2 raw and our translator for the serries disapeared. We should be getting episode 2 out soon. As for the rest i cant say how long It will take it is a hard serries to translate. We do plan on getting all 110 ep done eventually.
really?? hope that happens! the DVD sub was great

er... do the movies come before the tv series? or do they fit in after the tv series??
eiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 04:14   Link #18
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

the 1st movie: My conquest is the sea of stars is before the T.V. series that is
Spoiler:

the 2nd movie: The new war overture takes place during the beginning T.V. series.
Spoiler:
Old 2003-11-17, 16:39   Link #19
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Question

I believe the 1st movie is not based on the original novels, can anybody confirm? I read the first chapters of the first novel a long time ago, and AFAI remember, they covered the events in the second movie.

Is Golden Wings based on the novels?
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 16:50   Link #20
Kail
Lunar Translator

"believe the 1st movie is not based on the original novels, can anybody confirm? I read the first chapters of the first novel a long time ago, and AFAI remember, they covered the events in the second movie."

If im remembering the first movie right it is basicly the same as the first cople episodes of the main serries. Where as the second movie covers what happened before the fist episode.