AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-10-08, 00:46   Link #21
Kazu-kun

Not the best first episode ever, but it's mostly because it was anime-original and studio writers almost always suck.

Now that she got to the hunter school, they should be able to follow the novel more closely. I hope.
Old 2019-10-08, 13:10   Link #22
Go0gleplex
The Old Guy

I found this kinda cute and a bit funny, in a predictably cliche' way. My kid got some good laughs too. Only real beef I have is them skipping the first part of the story which sets up a lot of background events.

"No society can thrive when it puts more money, effort, and emotion into its vices rather than its virtues."

Harem of choice? Uzume, Rory Mercury, Raphtalia, and Yasaka.
Go0gleplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-08, 16:00   Link #23
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go0gleplex View Post
I found this kinda cute and a bit funny, in a predictably cliche' way. My kid got some good laughs too. Only real beef I have is them skipping the first part of the story which sets up a lot of background events.
Hopefully they'll do what the manga did and jump back to the beginning in a flashback. The main characters of that part are in the closing, so chances are they're not being cut completely.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-08, 22:58   Link #24
grecefar

isekai of cute girls doing cute things, it can work too as a comedy with mile jokes, the one with the truck was funny.

animation is cute, I'll give it a chance.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 06:41   Link #25
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 1:

laughed so hard when she she joked about her hand getting bit by the wall. xD

the orc meat looks tasty!!

enjoyed the first episode, and eagerly waiting for next week.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 07:35   Link #26
DracoS

Well that was a fun little opening.

Reminds me a little of Re:zero, with the gene awareness and world setup.... but far more fluffy in tone! We see were it goes, but I'm set for next week at least.
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 13:49   Link #27
Marina2

After I went around reading comments in many websites, look like this anime is greatly enjoyable for people who didn't read LN but it is disliked by LN readers for skipping the first arc.

Me? I went in blind and loved it. The story/plot is a fun & simple and can be easily viewed as CGDCT anime. I hope this season will start the era of Isekai anime with female MC.
Old 2019-10-09, 14:13   Link #28
grecefar

Far as I know you will never find a LN reader who likes the anime adaption of said LN.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 14:17   Link #29
BWTraveller
Born to ship

There are LNs for which I enjoyed the anime. Plenty really. Sure, I usually find things that I think should have been left in or done better, but I often do enjoy them. But if they go and make up crap for the beginning of a story, I expect them to come up with something pretty darn good. This wasn't bad, but it left a fair amount to be desired from a LN reader's POV.
Old 2019-10-09, 17:46   Link #30
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
After I went around reading comments in many websites, look like this anime is greatly enjoyable for people who didn't read LN but it is disliked by LN readers for skipping the first arc.
saw a thread on MAL complaining about the anime original content.
Enjoyed the first episode, so I couldn't care less what the reviewers say.

Quote:
Me? I went in blind and loved it. The story/plot is a fun & simple and can be easily viewed as CGDCT anime.
yeah, it feels like another cgdct with isekai elements added into it.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 17:50   Link #31
Wandering Soul

The first episode was alright, though I felt it was pretty clear that it was filler, and I have not even touched the light novels.
Old 2019-10-09, 18:42   Link #32
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Not the best first episode ever, but it's mostly because it was anime-original and studio writers almost always suck.

Now that she got to the hunter school, they should be able to follow the novel more closely. I hope.
Thought it was pretty cute and funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Far as I know you will never find a LN reader who likes the anime adaption of said LN.
Well. I think most of the time it's just a case of cut content. Unavoidable since novels can literally just cram everything including the kitchen sink, if they want.
Old 2019-10-14, 11:03   Link #33
arkhangelsk

So we have episode 2. Again there is much original content and the flow was greatly changed, to the detriment of depth.
And let's just say while there are some similarities between what they did here with the manga version ... let's just say the manga version's reason for Mile putting on a bit more effort was a lot more heartwarming. This is gaggy. In fact, that seems to be the basic approach for this adaptation - turn the gaggy, parody portions not just to 12, but 20 - no, the real thing isn't quite that reference filled (or if they were references the author wasn't blatant about it...), especially in the earlier books.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-14, 11:13   Link #34
BWTraveller
Born to ship

They really seem to have decided to alter Mile's character, particularly where it comes to A-Cup Angst. In the light novels, I don't recall her being upset about her breast size except for two occasions, one early on when she was wondering if her diminutive height and underdeveloped chest indicated that other things had been "averaged" in bad ways, and the other when she tries to force a ten-year-old innkeeper's daughter into a newly-made bath and discovers that she's more than twice as big.

And the girls' action was depressingly understated. I still recall the first time they went hunting in the manga and light novels, sweet little Pauline went out shrieking "DIE!!" at every enemy she attacked. They were all more impressive really. They really need to get their act together at the studio.

Not to mention that there's no indication they're going to show us the proper beginning any time soon, which is messed up. That was more than half the first book skipped! At the introduction each of the girls were supposed to share parts of their backstories.
Old 2019-10-14, 11:31   Link #35
arkhangelsk

You are remembering the 2nd time, after they got good. The first time they were trying too hard to hit those darn rabbits (just like here).

And to be fair, Mile starts caring more about her breasts as we get to the later books, including a gag where she spit up blood in a mutual insult contest with Lena about breasts ... overall, the English readership is still on the best parts of the series. Maybe it is just me, but the overall quality of writing declines starting in Book 9, becoming less heartwarming, less deep and more gaggy.

Maybe the anime tries to represent the books as they are now (though even those are not quite as gaggy).
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-14, 11:57   Link #36
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
So we have episode 2. Again there is much original content and the flow was greatly changed, to the detriment of depth.
And let's just say while there are some similarities between what they did here with the manga version ... let's just say the manga version's reason for Mile putting on a bit more effort was a lot more heartwarming. This is gaggy. In fact, that seems to be the basic approach for this adaptation - turn the gaggy, parody portions not just to 12, but 20 - no, the real thing isn't quite that reference filled (or if they were references the author wasn't blatant about it...), especially in the earlier books.
I got curious from Kazu-kun's comments from earlier and went and read the novel (I've also read some of the manga).

Suffice to say while this somewhat maintains some of the charm and (assuming you don't know what it's made from) appears "competent" at first glance, once you do know what its made from it's well.... its very much better you don't.

The original material is very much Grimgar style with Konosuba character dynamics. Semi-realistic portrayal of a fantasy, with the major difference being that Mile is actually completely bonkers in power level (being half elder dragon). The story is serious at times and does well to be subtle and contextualize everything properly. It's actually a very good read.

I won't go into any specifics events that happen, but...

TL;DR…
no actual spoiler; just how the approach differs
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

-

Personally I recommend reading the original material over watching this. The anime will likely color your view in ways and outright spoil the story in the worse way possible. You've been warned.
Old 2019-10-14, 12:24   Link #37
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Kind of a 'meh' second episode. The cast isn't bad, though I'd say the main character pushes it a bit. An airhead for a main character is hardly without precedent, but she does tend to push it pretty far. Not sure what to think of a person so in awe of moving golems that she didn't even notice while it was trying to kill her companions. Heck her awe is bizarre considering she's lived all these years in a magical realm. It isn't as if Miles is some isekai person who just arrived a week ago. These should be as normal to her as a car.

Again it isn't bad. But it isn't quite pulling me in. While an adaption vs original story, I kind of draw my viewing comparisons to Endro. Although that show had a bit more charm when it came to the characters.

It just isn't anything that rises above an average comedic show. Getting the feeling that I should just tap out of the anime and read the source material.
Old 2019-10-14, 13:50   Link #38
HandofFate

Guess since they completely skipped the school arc, and going right into hunter training, they have to do some anime original adjustments to make Mile and the rest meet and get together and have them be friends right away.

Shame, my favorite early parts was when they were strangers and the three tried to bully her.
Old 2019-10-14, 15:28   Link #39
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Forgot, I was rolling my eyes when they thought "she must be an A or at least B rank", since I already knew it was a school meant to allow promising low-rank Hunters quickly ascend to C rank. And kind of disappointing that neither anime nor manga showed the scenes leading up to this, with Mile happily accepting F rank on registry only to accidentally demonstrate her insane abilities, at which point the guild master had no choice but to send her there against her will (remember she wants to be normal) because he can't have someone that powerful in the F rank but the system doesn't allow them to reset rank: she'd have to work years to raise her level.

And yeah, those were among my favorite parts too. Really I loved a ton of the Eckland arc. Well, I'm sure we'll get at least some of it since they're in the ED.
Old 2019-10-14, 18:31   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Wouldn't call them my favorite, but did like those a lot as well. As things are going one of my favorite parts of this school has already been just bulldozed and think my other favorite bit from later on will be too.

I'm not sure if I'll continue watching this. It's pretty, unlike arifureta, but just like arifureta it fills me with disappointment. If they wanted to diverge they should have diverged completely and just kept the characters.