AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 37 47.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 34.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 10.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-30, 00:47   Link #21
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
I hope they troll us with trying to predict Kanba is not related by blood and then throw a curveball revealing that it's actually Sho who was adopted and also Himari's fated one. I refuse to believe they would kill off Himari just like that, she should be back in the next episode.
If one the twins is adopted, it's probably Shouma. If it was Kanba, all his speech from episode 1 about fate being a bitch because he can't be with his sister would feel so pointless. IMO there's meaning to Kanba struggling against fate both because he can't be with Himari and because he wants to keep her alive. If you take the incest out of the picture is like he's losing half his motivation.

It would be a lot more poignant, ironic, and even a bit cruel (which isn't a bad thing) if Shouma was the adopted one, considering he only loves Himari as a sister.

All that said, Kanba is not "good enough" either way, and Himari's fated one is most likely Mario, so the possibility of one of the twins being adopted seems more like a smoke screen than anything else to me.
Old 2011-09-30, 00:56   Link #22
EroKing

One way or another Shouma will most likely learn about Kanba's feelings for Himari and that would be the start of some epic drama >.>
Old 2011-09-30, 01:06   Link #23
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I got the sense that Ikuhara is slightly fictionalizing the Sarin gas attacks and not referring to them literally, so as to avoid some unnecessary and uncomfortable complications for the production. But it's too early to say yet.

Here's the referenced passage from "Night on the Galactic Railroad":
Ah, the tale about the red scorpion. The scorpion realizes that rather than dieing a pointless death, it would have been better to offer himself to the weasel (to be eaten!). Basically this tale is about altruism. I wonder if it's a reference to Shouma, since he's the closest we have to an altruist character in this show. Then again, maybe the show interprets this in a totally different way
Old 2011-09-30, 01:35   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Ah, the tale about the red scorpion. The scorpion realizes that rather than dieing a pointless death, it would have been better to offer himself to the weasel (to be eaten!). Basically this tale is about altruism. I wonder if it's a reference to Shouma, since he's the closest we have to an altruist character in this show. Then again, maybe the show interprets this in a totally different way
I thought the reference was to Kanba trying to give his own life so that Himari could live. That's the most literal interpretation, anyway.

Too many references and metaphors tied together. The scorpion story, black bunnies, and a "Mary Had a Little Lamb" that sounded a lot more like Adam & Eve.
Old 2011-09-30, 01:52   Link #25
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I hope she stays dead, yet can't see that happening unless the speculations I've seen are completely off-base regarding her and Mario.

Now we get to speculate who's adopted! Kanba being adopted would make too much sense, so that's immediately suspect (would certainly explain why he's all lovey-dovey over his "sister"). But, maybe it's supposed to seem too obvious so we're tricked into thinking it's Sho!

The father was doing his own survival strategy. Which would mean something if I had any idea what the survival strategy means in the context of this show, beyond a hazy idea it may have to do with keeping Himari/Mario alive when fate is decreeing they should be dead.

I wonder how Tabuki scarred his fingers that badly. And at such a young age too.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-09-30, 01:54   Link #26
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I thought the reference was to Kanba trying to give his own life so that Himari could live. That's the most literal interpretation, anyway.
But that's like raping Mayazawa's novel, you know. I mean, it's the total opposite to his message.

But who knows.
Old 2011-09-30, 02:08   Link #27
gsilver

Death is cheap in fiction, and I'm fully expecting Himari to come back in some form next episode (though how/why is a little unclear... What is Sanetoshi doing in the world of the living?), but I would find it more interesting if they continue without her.
Old 2011-09-30, 02:16   Link #28
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
Death is cheap in fiction, and I'm fully expecting Himari to come back in some form next episode (though how/why is a little unclear... What is Sanetoshi doing in the world of the living?), but I would find it more interesting if they continue without her.
I don't expect we'll see her for some time; half the episode was spent on her death and explaining how the hat can't revive her anymore. You don't do an episode like that and then turn around and revive the character anyway.
Old 2011-09-30, 02:42   Link #29
Blaat

Excellent episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Like holy hell. I am speculating that Sho is their child while Kanba is the outsider. Someone the parents knew, obviously.
I honestly think its Sho (and personally suspected that since the first episode) Kanba looks like his father, Himari looks like her mother and Sho looks like neither of them. Besides if Kanba is really their cousin (or not related at all) that would be such a cheap cop-out in the incestuous relationship, there is no way they're going to do that.
Old 2011-09-30, 02:45   Link #30
Nikkan

So if Momoka "died" when she was a kid...
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-09-30, 02:47   Link #31
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
With all the supernatural bullshit, I'm expecting it to turn that Kanba and Shoma used to be one person but got split in two.
Old 2011-09-30, 03:22   Link #32
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
So if Momoka "died" when she was a kid...
Spoiler for spoiler:
Why do you doubt Momoka wasn't the one who wrote the diary? She and Tabuki (4-6 grade) was old enough to take care of the classroom pet, so they should be old enough to write a diary.
Old 2011-09-30, 03:31   Link #33
Nikkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Why do you doubt Momoka wasn't the one who wrote the diary? She and Tabuki (4-6 grade) was old enough to take care of the classroom pet, so they should be old enough to write a diary.
Spoiler for diary:
Old 2011-09-30, 03:32   Link #34
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Why do you doubt Momoka wasn't the one who wrote the diary? She and Tabuki (4-6 grade).
This episode reveals they were in second grade (06:09), so they were 7 years old or so.
Old 2011-09-30, 03:49   Link #35
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
Spoiler for diary:
Ringo interpretation of her sister diary can explain those. ^

Does anyone recall if the diary said exactly to have sex or was it Ringo's wacky interpretation?

"Pregnant part" on the other, I think Momoka knows that mother's carry babies in their stomach and she wants Tabuki to be the father.

Quote:
This episode reveals they were in second grade (06:09), so they were 7 years old or so.
I'm having doubts they're in 2nd grade, because they're to young to ride a subway by themselves (not sure if its a norm in Japan).
Old 2011-09-30, 03:54   Link #36
Warm Mist

Quote:
I wonder if it's a reference to Shouma, since he's the closest we have to an altruist character in this show.
I don't think this is the case, since the Scorpio's Flame is the way PoC addresses Kanba's "soul" or whatever it was, and I also doubt Shouma is an altruist (well, maybe he is the closest thing we have, but I'd never associate altruism with him). To me he looks really, really messed up, taking the weird as fuck smiling on this ep and his penguin actions, plus the fact we don't know even a single bit of his backstory (we know some of the events that defined Kanba's and Himari's personality, and we know the full story for Ringo, but we've got nothing like that for Shouma).
Old 2011-09-30, 04:08   Link #37
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I'm having doubts they're in 2nd grade, because they're to young to ride a subway by themselves (not sure if its a norm in Japan).
Doubts about what? It's written there in Tabuki's school badge/tag.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
I don't think this is the case, since the Scorpio's Flame is the way PoC addresses Kanba's "soul" or whatever it was, and I also doubt Shouma is an altruist (well, maybe he is the closest thing we have, but I'd never associate altruism with him).
But Kanba is even less altruist then him. For instance, Kanba would have never bother to save Ringo. Shouma did it twice. Now I understand there's a chance Ikuhara doesn't give a fuck about the real meaning of the reference, and he's just using it at a superficial level.

Quote:
To me he looks really, really messed up, taking the weird as fuck smiling on this ep and his penguin actions, plus the fact we don't know even a single bit of his backstory (we know some of the events that defined Kanba's and Himari's personality, and we know the full story for Ringo, but we've got nothing like that for Shouma).
Just because we don't know anything about him doesn't mean he's a lot more messed up than Kanba or Himari herself. I think you're taking all the nonsense going on in /a/ about Shouma too seriously. And I don't remember no smile in this episode. Shouma is just a kid with pretty low self-seem due to his belief that he has no right to be born due to what his parents did in the past. That's all we got for now.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-09-30 at 04:19.
Old 2011-09-30, 04:44   Link #38
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Excellent episode.I honestly think its Sho (and personally suspected that since the first episode) Kanba looks like his father, Himari looks like her mother and Sho looks like neither of them. Besides if Kanba is really their cousin (or not related at all) that would be such a cheap cop-out in the incestuous relationship, there is no way they're going to do that.
Agreed. Kanba looks a lot like a his father (same eyes, similar facial structure) while Shouma looks nothing like either of his parents. Furthermore, as Kazu-kun already mentioned, removing the incest component from Kanba and Himari's relationship would make all his speeches about fate rather pointless.

That was a great episode. I wasn't too surprised that the parents were responsible for the terrorist attacks since we had already speculated about it last week. I'm more confused about their motivations. They seemed to think it would bring peace to the world... err, how would a terrorist attack bring peace? Are they just fanatics? I'm eager to learn more about them. Both of the parents appeared to be great people in the flashbacks.

Was anyone else intrigued by the scars on Tabuki's fingers? I had never noticed them before. It looks like his fingers were reattached. Did he lsoe a bet against Hyoudou or something? Ringo = Momoka's reincarnation; Tabuki = Kaiji? At any rate, it looks like he might a more important player than I thought.

The scene where the Princess of Crystal tries to take the Scorpio's flame was beautiful and very erotic (naked with knee socks! WOOOOOOO!!).

So now we've got no only penguins, but black bunnies. PoC made it sound like their arrival was a big deal, but it just seems they're just Sanetoshi's assistants...?
Old 2011-09-30, 04:48   Link #39
Warm Mist

Quote:
But Kanba is even less altruist then him. For instance, Kanba would have never bother to save Ringo. Shouma did it twice. Now I understand there's a chance Ikuhara doesn't give a fuck about the real meaning of the reference, and he's just using it at a superficial level.
My point is, the reference was in the name of Kanba's soul. I don't really know what Ikuhara thinks of it and why he put it there, but I don't think it refers to Shouma.

Quote:
Just because we don't know anything about him doesn't mean he's a lot more messed up than Kanba or Himari herself. I think you're taking all the nonsense going on in /a/ about Shouma too seriously.
I'm not stating he is Hannibal Lecter , I'm just saying we got a glimpse of the other characters' past and events that shaped their way of living, but we didn't got that for Shouma. You know what they say, leave the best for last...
Maybe he isn't a lot more messed up than Kanba or Himari, but I wouldn't think of him as a rather sane person for the time being. It's just speculah, we'll se how it turns out.

Quote:
And I don't remember no smile in this episode. Shouma is just a kid with pretty low self-seem due to his belief that he has no right to be born due to what his parents did in the past. That's all we got for now.
True, that are the facts.

Spoiler for Also, for the smiles...:
Old 2011-09-30, 05:03   Link #40
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
It would be a lot more poignant, ironic, and even a bit cruel (which isn't a bad thing) if Shouma was the adopted one, considering he only loves Himari as a sister.
Would it really matter if Shouma wasn't blood related with Kanba and Himari? They were raised together, he loves them, Takakura parents aren't around anymore... Might be a bit of a shock but after everything they went through, who cares whose son he really is .

Now problem could arise eventually if he was to cross path with one of his real sibling and fall in love and consume it. Why not a twin for example... Oh Ringo? Hello, I'm looking at you. Let's screw up your life a bit more in the second half of this anime

Ikuhara seems well determined to go all the way (literally and figuratively) with the incest trope in MawaPen. If he doesn't achieve it with Kanba and Himari, he might as well do it with characters we didn't suspect to be blood related...