AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-03, 07:47   Link #1
Siphine
The Dreamer

Better Manga Versions or Just Anime

I've recently started reading manga since a lot of the animes I have watched the story never finishes and I don't know what happens next or its missing some details so can anyone suggest which manga of an anime i have watched is better than the anime? Or just suggest good manga based on what I have watched/read or just suggest good anime also
Anime I've watched
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Siphine/anime

Mangas I'm reading/done
Rosario+Vampire lots of remarks how the manga is better and they were right
Demon King Daimao Felt like it never really finishes
Muv-Luv never mad a anime, unless you count Total Eclipse
Koneko DX the anime I thought was pretty good, people thought was pretty bad, only had one season but said to be continued XD

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 10:50   Link #2
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Yumekui Merry is pretty much a given. The anime starts off nicely enough but gets progressively worse as it adds original content, and the ending is painfully awful. Drop it and read the manga for your own sake.

Saikano is apparently better in manga form too, given how the anime squeezed 7 volumes of manga into 13 episodes.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 10:59   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I highly recommends the Qwaser of Stigmata manga. I thought the anime was pretty faithful up until the end of the first season, as the second season incredibly uses a lot of fillers and stuff that weren't present in the manga.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 17:04   Link #4
Siphine
The Dreamer

Alright I will get straight to it, any more suggestions welcomed

Old 2012-12-03, 17:12   Link #5
kitten320

Didn't read it myself but I know that Elfen Lied manga is different from anime.

Soul Eater differs as well. Manga is still ongoing. I personally hated anime ending, Maka punch annoys the hell out of me x_x

Otherwise I didn't read many manga.
Old 2012-12-03, 17:18   Link #6
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Fruits Basket and Gakuen Alice. Very....

Will second Elfen Lied and Yumekui Merry - prefer the manga a lot more (Y.M. is still ongoing btw....)

Let's see ... Kaichou wa Maid-sama and Omamari Himari are two others that most immediately come to mind. With these two the anime adaptations were ok, but I personally am enjoying the manga a lot more.
Old 2012-12-03, 20:46   Link #7
Velsy

Elfen Lied - Like others have mentioned, I also back it... Because it continues and finishes the story.

The World God only knows - Animes very similar, but the manga continues the the story beyond the anime if you get what I mean.

Sekirei - Anime misses alot of the little things that made this alright. Well my opinion, the manga was way better.

High School of the Dead - Anime was soo full of ridiculous overdone fanservices I cant even watch it myself. Manga its just general fanservice to be expect like any other manga. But the manga is on hold so, so not all that much content to read really.

Titles not listed in your list

Dance in the Vampire Bund - Poor anime, but a pretty decent manga with vampires. Alot like Rosario +vampire is in that respect between manga and Anime.

Berserk - Manga and anime are similar, but a big continuation for the story. Be warned tho, its a pretty dark and chaotic story. No sugar and rainbows.

Pandora Hearts - Similar anime and manga, but a horrible last few anime episodes. Manga is a continueation without those horrible epsiodes. I've not kept up to the latest of manga chapters, but things have .... well gotten interesting........ As its best not to say too much.

Hime Resurrection / Kaibutsu Oujo - Manga picks up alot of the finer points missed in the anime. If this type is your cup of tea. Interesting cast

Cant think of anything else at the moment, but hope thats at least useful.

Last edited by Velsy; 2012-12-03 at 21:03.
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 07:58   Link #8
Siphine
The Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Elfen Lied - Like others have mentioned, I also back it... Because it continues and finishes the story.

High School of the Dead - Anime was soo full of ridiculous overdone fanservices I cant even watch it myself. Manga its just general fanservice to be expect like any other manga. But the manga is on hold so, so not all that much content to read really..
They actually finish the story I KNEW the ending felt too mysterious, well that will probably be the first one I start on. Also I kinda want to finish the anime before the manga partially because I want to compare and also I don't want to let the anime to be spoiled... kinda

Old 2012-12-04, 14:15   Link #9
Kurohane

Needless: I won't go into it much since you haven't watched it yet, but make sure you read the manga afterwards. The anime wrapped up the story too quickly, but the manga continues from before things get wrapped up in the anime.

The Sacred Blacksmith: Manga is still ongoing, and follows more truly to the light novels. Cecily is more skilled in the manga than in the anime.

DearS: Manga is finished and completes the story.

11 eyes: Manga follows Mizusu's route in the Visual Novel.

Kampfer: still ongoing, expands more on the story from the light novels than the anime did and the anime focused too much on fanservice.

I also second Yumekui Merry, Princess Resurection, and Omamari Himari.

Also Recommend:
Steins;Gate
Mayoi Chiki

Last edited by Kurohane; 2012-12-07 at 13:01.
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 14:34   Link #10
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Another recommendation I'm going to thrown : both Demon King Daimao and Aria The Scarlet Ammo manga expands the story where their respective anime adaptations left off.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 15:28   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I’ll add some more manga titles which haven’t been suggested.

From your anime list, you can check these mangas out:
Fairy Tail
Groove Adventure Rave
Ichigo 100%
Mysterious Girlfriend X
To-Love-Ru: Darkness
Sora no Otoshimono

IMO those mangas are better and continue/complete the story of their anime counterparts.
Old 2012-12-04, 18:06   Link #12
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siphine View Post
They actually finish the story I KNEW the ending felt too mysterious, well that will probably be the first one I start on. Also I kinda want to finish the anime before the manga partially because I want to compare and also I don't want to let the anime to be spoiled... kinda
Yep, Elfen Lied manga was finished several years ago.

Not on your list but I think I'll add the following:

Claymore - I loved anime but manga is still ongoing and anime has changed some things in last few episodes. Manga is doing quiet well. If you are into dark action, it is worth a read.

Berserk - I liked anime but it missed a lot of material. However, manga is not finished yet it has some adult themes.

Beck - a good anime about music but it never finished the story while manga is finished.

D.Gray Man - despite having 103 episodes, it was not finished (shounen), manga is still ongoing.

Ghost Hunt - amazing anime if you like ghost stuff and investigation kind of stories. However, it left some un-answered questions. Manga is finished.

GTO - great comedy anime with a lot of memorable characters but not as good as manag. Anime has a conclusion but it misses LOTS of material and some characters never got introduced. Really recommend it.

Inuyasha - I liked the anime and it is finished but it's second season was rushed and missed a lot of scenes.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! - romance/comedy. Good anime but manga is still ongoing.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - one of my fave romance/comedies. Manga still in progress.

Love Hina - my first anime/manga. Loved the anime but manga goes much deeper and has a great development for one of my fave characters. It is romance/comedy, recommend it.

Rozen Maiden - comedy/action. I liked anime but it takes different route than manga which is still ongoing. Duno which one is better since I didn't read manga yet.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime - didn't like the anime but was told that manga is 10 times better.

Other way around:
Mai HiME - I love the anime but I hate manga! Two completely different stories and one of my fave characters was turned into a horrible fan girl x_x
If you like action/comedy/drama then I would recommend to watch anime but stay away from manga. Though you can give it a go out of curiosity if you want.

Ga-Rei Zero - I loved this anime. It had nice comedy/romance/action and great drama. As well as very memorable character. Anime is a prequel to manga Ga-Rei but in all honesty I simply couldn't get into manga after watching anime. It just wasn't the same for me. Besides characters and their relationship seemed different from what I saw in anime so it ehhh
I know some people do like manga and you might as well but for me anime tops manga here.

Hope this will be useful and will pick your interest.
Old 2012-12-04, 23:00   Link #13
Siphine
The Dreamer

So now I got anime suggestons and manga suggestions.... AWESOME! ^_^ and it sorta makes sense to me now why the mangas have complete endings compared to anime because most of the time animes either
A: Start airing during the manga being produced and written and drawn
B: The author can always decide to put a couple more volumes into it
Glad you guys can help I will update you on my progress keep 'em coming though

Old 2012-12-06, 21:58   Link #14
Siphine
The Dreamer

Ok well here i am now with the manga
Elfen lied: Chp 8, the anime actually follows the manga which doesn't usually happens
Demon King Daimao Chp 12 definitely different then the anime in a good way

Tags
anime, anime to manga, manga, manga to anime, romance