AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-08-05, 01:43   Link #241
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
So it doesn't feel jumpy even though it's six combined episodes? Really want to find that new footage too, please someone in the US, license this!
With the knowledge that the individual stories were done in separate episodes, it's easy to see where the boundaries were for them within the movie. I thought the transitions were pretty well done overall, and the segues into them succeeded in gradually easing me into them by focusing of the character development of Rikuo and Masaki and their interactions with everyone else.

I thought the foreshadowing was made stronger and more obvious (lots of flashback stills) for the stuff directly concerning the two of them, which meant that the Sammy, Tex and Chie/Shimei stories fit in most strongly. I thought the Katora (the illegally discarded houseroid) one is a ways behind, but still good, and the Koji/Rina (the lovers) one I thought was the hardest to fit in, and it did feel the most separate from the whole IMO. Thankfully it seems that the producers acknowledged that and cut a fair amount of time from that episode I think.

Not to mention the producers also were able to add a bit of world-building into the movie, with the mastermind-ey scenes being far longer than was in the film, probably twice the time. And combining that with Nagi's past revealed, I thought it painted a clearer picture of how their world is like. Loved it.

My verdict? A must-watch for all who liked the original, undoubtedly.

Oh, by the way, there's a nice bit where Sammy tries dolling herself up. HNNNNNNGH

EDIT: Thanks for the rep, whoever you are!

Last edited by Ottocycle; 2010-08-06 at 09:44.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 10:40   Link #242
Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Good to hear praise on the film. Shall be watching it in a few days.

For now i'll just stick with the soundtrack. I'm so glad we finally have a release of it.
+1 this and Pale Cocoon.

I am looking forward to the movie
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 02:45   Link #243
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

To think I left this series alone for so long, only to unwittingly finish it just in time for the movie adaptation. For the time being, I don't have much to add to what Ottocycle has already written. I watched the movie raw, but since it is mostly a rehash of the original six episodes, I could understand most of the dialogue fairly easily.

The end credits do explain a lot about Nagi's past and confirms a certain speculation about her true nature — but with a nice, unexpected twist. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I understood the scene completely, so I will have to wait for the subtitles to be completely certain.

In the end, as we knew all along, Eve no Jikan is not just about robots, but also about the larger ethical issues revolving around racism, prejudice and acceptance versus persecution. It's also a story about identity, what it means to be an individual among many. All well-worn themes addressed before in other, typically dystopian, science-fiction stories. So, it's definitely refreshing to find such familiar issues handled with so much loving warmth here.

Suffice to say, the whole movie is greater than the sum of its original parts, and is definitely well worth watching.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 22:17   Link #244
Kokoru Asami
*Graphic Designer

Saw the movie and loved it, it's an unsual theme but it made me laugh and think. The story and characters were great, I look forward to a second season if they plan on having one.
Old 2010-09-15, 06:29   Link #245
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Finally got around to watching this, and i must say it turned out much better then i never could have expected. The fact that the story flows so much better thanks to the new scenes that fit in between where the episodes would end and start is a big plus, and thanks to that there's no problems at all with the pacing.

Love how the new scenes added so much to the overall development between Sammy and Rikuo, which was personally my favorite part of the series. & of course we have those stunning ED images which explain Nagi's backstory in a lot more detail (a few of them could easily be mistaken as being from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou ), along with the scene after the credits.

A must watch for anyone who enjoyed the TV series, or for anyone who missed out on it.
Old 2010-09-21, 22:50   Link #246
4Tran

I've been a fan of Isaac Asimov for the last twenty years, and I'm always interested in anyone else who builds on his ideas. From that background, it's pretty much automatic that I like Eve no Jikan's treatment of robots. While I wouldn't classify this movie as a slice of life work, I really like the humanistic tones it daubed on the characters. My favorite little snippet was wondering how THX managed to get down the stairs... right before the movie answered that question for me. For all of its fantastical worlds and stories, anime doesn't have very much to do with classical science fiction, and I'd love to see more of it.

Oh, and that woman that was used to bookend the film was totally Susan Calvin!

I don't really have anything negative to say about Eve no Jikan except that I almost wish that I wasn't an Asmiov fan while watching it. In almost every case, the movie brought up ideas that he had addressed long ago, and that it seemed to ignore some of his basic principles. I suppose it's a bit unfair to compare a two hour film to a huge chunk of Asimov's life work so it doesn't bother me too much.

A question to those who have seen both the movie and the ONAs - are the ONAs still worth watching, or is the movie a more fulfilling work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
In the end, as we knew all along, Eve no Jikan is not just about robots, but also about the larger ethical issues revolving around racism, prejudice and acceptance versus persecution.
That's true, although I feel that robots aren't a particularly good framing mechanism for that kind of theme. Niea_7 covered a lot of the same territory, and it worked a lot better there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It's also a story about identity, what it means to be an individual among many. All well-worn themes addressed before in other, typically dystopian, science-fiction stories. So, it's definitely refreshing to find such familiar issues handled with so much loving warmth here.
That's very true. One of the fundamental questions asked in Robot stories is the question of what it is to be human, and Eve no Jikan did so fairly well. I do wish though, that the creators made a bit more effort to differentiate its world from the world of modern Japan.
Old 2010-09-22, 06:02   Link #247
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
A question to those who have seen both the movie and the ONAs - are the ONAs still worth watching, or is the movie a more fulfilling work?
The film is indeed a more fulfilling work, though even with that said i'd still say watch the ONAs first, and then going into the film. Just for the complete experience.
Old 2010-09-23, 11:21   Link #248
4Tran

Quote:
The film is indeed a more fulfilling work, though even with that said i'd still say watch the ONAs first, and then going into the film. Just for the complete experience.
Well, I already watched the film, so I guess there isn't much point in the ONAs then. The stories are good enough, but there's only so much that can be done with them.
Old 2010-09-24, 15:29   Link #249
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Well, I already watched the film, so I guess there isn't much point in the ONAs then. The stories are good enough, but there's only so much that can be done with them.
Yeah you have a point. I guess you could just watch the ONAs one day when you have nothing else to watch.
Old 2010-09-25, 04:22   Link #250
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I finally have the time to watch the movie straight but I'm curious... aside from containing the original ONAs does the movie add anything else? At what minute does the extra stuff, if any, start?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 04:25   Link #251
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I finally have the time to watch the movie straight but I'm curious... aside from containing the original ONAs does the movie add anything else? At what minute does the extra stuff, if any, start?
There's new scenes in the actual film (for example, Sammy doing up her hair in the apartment). Also the ED and after ED scene are all new material.
Old 2010-09-25, 04:28   Link #252
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Yes, lots of extra bits are sprinkled throughout the movie to streamline the episode transitions, and are not concentrated at one spot. Aside from streamlining, there are some longer bits which flesh out the background where the film is set in as well. I'd personally recommend going through the entire film to see how well they mesh together, it's quite a sight if you've watched the originals.

Also, right from the get-go there's some substantial new footage already, so yeah.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 13:43   Link #253
4Tran

There's something that's been niggling me for a while now: if there are so many people who dislike humaniform robots, why then do so many people buy them? And why get the ones that have emotions programmed in? The standard versions are obviously still in use, and the application of the humaniform versions seem to be very limited (i.e. the child caretaker), so why?

Quote:
Yeah you have a point. I guess you could just watch the ONAs one day when you have nothing else to watch.
Nah, if that were the case, I'd just watch the movie version again. It's just like with Macross Plus: there's little point to going back to the episode version because the movie seems to offer a more complete story.
Old 2010-09-27, 11:10   Link #254
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Hmm seeing as how i marathon'd the 6 episodes like 2 weeks ago, still think it's worth watching the movie immediately? Or letting it sit for a few more months and then watch the movehhh
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 11:34   Link #255
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Hmm seeing as how i marathon'd the 6 episodes like 2 weeks ago, still think it's worth watching the movie immediately? Or letting it sit for a few more months and then watch the movehhh
I say go for the film now, because the series content will be fresh in your mind, so you'll have a better time spotting the new material.
Old 2010-09-27, 22:18   Link #256
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
I say go for the film now, because the series content will be fresh in your mind, so you'll have a better time spotting the new material.
Good point, but then I just feel inclined to fast forward to the new stuff since I'm on a tight schedule !
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 03:18   Link #257
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
but then I just feel inclined to fast forward to the new stuff
Please don't do that.
Old 2010-09-29, 14:12   Link #258
Asleep

I was finally able to watch it. It exceeded all my expectations. I really enjoyed the additional scenes. It flowed very well, and had I not seen the original episodes I would have never guessed these were actually written as short episodes. I was really happy to hear the soundtrack in the movie again, but this time having heard the OST repeatedly.

I always wanted to know more about Nagi so I am really thankful for the ED images. What a beautiful song as well. I didn't think Kalafina and Eve would work so well.

The movie has such a beautiful atmosphere, and the score brings it out so well. I am glad to have another movie in my favourite anime movies list. I look forward to watching it again
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 03:31   Link #259
iceyfw

wow. i read the news about this when info about it first came out, but ignored it completely until now. i never watched the original episodes, so everything i watched in the movie grabbed my full attention as i do not like watching anything twice.

the movie does keep pounding into my head that, no matter how sophisticated robots will become in the future, it will no doubt become an issue among us whether to treat androids or robots as human beings or just like.... machines once they can act on their own. it plays around with that concept and gives us a great story along with great humor as well. my head totally tiled when that THX machine was in slow-mo with her owner exiting the cafe because the android does not have legs and i was right!

also great scene with those two guys interacting with that really old robot model

any news about them continuing this? it has been a long long while since an anime captured my full attention. i wish there would be more animes like this, but i guess "insert xxx romance/action/shounen/shoujo/ecchi/whatever else is generic these days" will always take over the majority of anime genres to be popular in japan.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 00:29   Link #260
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy View Post
the movie does keep pounding into my head that, no matter how sophisticated robots will become in the future, it will no doubt become an issue among us whether to treat androids or robots as human beings or just like.... machines once they can act on their own.
Actually, this question becomes more urgent the more robots resemble us. It then leads to the corollary question of how we should be building AIs in the future, and a whole host of other issues. The scope of the subject is very broad, and it's been rarely touched on seriously in anime.

Tags
sci-fi