AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-ON! The Movie - Rating
Perfect 10 44 51.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 28.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.18%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-29, 21:20   Link #881
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Like a book, I know it’s a great one when the empty feeling hit me after I finished it. That’s (one of) the thing this movie left me with.

I am a fan of the series, but I wasn’t convinced that I could take a 2-hours movie of this in one go. Oh how wrong I was. I actually was annoyed that my family interrupted me twice while I was watching. I was either LOL-ing or had a grin on my face the whole time.

Recently finishing the manga, while it’s fun till the end, I think the manga ending is underwhelm. I did not expecting “epicness” from K-On!, but I could not say that it’s a good ending. There was something left to be desired. This movie is the answer. It does not betray anything that K-On! suppose to be. It is still the girls fooling around and having fun. However, it does give me the feeling that, yes, this is it. This is the grand finale of the series. The empty feeling started hitting me when they played in front of the classroom one last time. I was telling myself to enjoy that moment, as it was something that could not be repeated again, even if I rewatch this in the future. By the time the credit rolled, I felt like a chapter in my anime-viewing life is closed. I’ve been watching anime pretty much my entire life (though arguably not that long) but only a few series ending had that effect on me.

My hat’s off to the staffs of this movie. They gave a great ending the series and the fans deserved. What’s left for this series is taking the test of time to become a classic. I think it will do fine.

9/10 from me.
Old 2012-07-29, 22:20   Link #882
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Coming To Taiwan On The BIG Screen on the 17th of August.....

Life is Beautiful Life is Beautiful Life is Beautiful.
Old 2012-07-30, 01:04   Link #883
chaos_animagic

Finally watched it today... was busy with other things, LOL.

That was so fun, watching them all confused with English (especially Yui... LOL)

And Azunya's Song was so cute and nice.

As for the Manga... I still can't find any Scanlated version for both "Yui & Gang in College" and "Azunya in High School"... only can find cover pics... >_<
Old 2012-07-30, 01:47   Link #884
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They would be under just K-On as it was a continuation. Supposedly will be released as Collections 5 and 6 this fall.
Old 2012-07-30, 02:12   Link #885
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No, but quite a few of us were expecting a series about a light music club to have *some* music. We eventually got it but there was considerable expectation for something that might include a "tune a week" or perhaps a music video sequence every few episodes. You are just being revisionist if you don't think a lot of viewers weren't disoriented for the first 4 or 5 episodes. I love the series, I enjoyed the movie ... but it didn't mean I was goggle-eyed from the start.
This.

I love the manga, the show and the movie, but I too expected music to be more a focal point than it was when I first heard about it. Especially when you have a main character standing on the cover poster wielding a guitar, ready to play it.
Old 2012-08-01, 20:29   Link #886
trenton_dawn
Silt

I was just thinking the other day that it's quite daring of the girls to ship their guitars as luggage without hard cases. Either that or they have extremely sturdy bags.
Old 2012-08-01, 20:52   Link #887
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
I was just thinking the other day that it's quite daring of the girls to ship their guitars as luggage without hard cases. Either that or they have extremely sturdy bags.
Been awhile since I've seen the movie at the Ikebukuro theater but I think I remember them bringing their gig bags on the plane (or rather it was implied).

At least *that* you can do as I used to bring my own guitar gig bag on the plane. It will be too big for the compartments above but the stewardesses usually place it in a bigger compartment in the plane and hand me a numbered ticket so I can claim it back when I've arrived to my destination....

....I figured that's what they did. I may need to rewatch the movie though to remember exactly what they did.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2012-08-01, 23:25   Link #888
trenton_dawn
Silt

The plane was full so the airline asked them to check the instruments, too.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-08-02, 02:45   Link #889
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
I was thinking the same thing! Well I bet Yui's guitar already has a ton of mojo on her guitar! I was surprised Mio didn't get all OCD, I mean non-hard shell case on a airline luggage is a death sentence

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2012-08-03 at 04:40.
Old 2012-08-05, 21:36   Link #890
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I finely got around to watching this and it was just a great movie Azu-nyan having some really weird dreams about Yui

Hope that Sentai licenses this soon
Old 2012-08-08, 07:53   Link #891
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I got my copy of the Blu-ray limited edition of the movie in the mail yesterday, so I figured I would share my thoughts about it...
  • The main shock for me was the weight of the package: 1.1kg/2.43lbs! Most of the weight would be from the massive book...
  • ...containing the storyboard for the entire movie. Its thickness is about three BD cases stacked on top of each other. It's interesting to see the amount of work that goes into an animated film, and how films in general are conceptualised and planned out.
  • The LE also includes two smaller booklets. One is presumably a replica of the ones given to moviegoers, with an intro to the series, character and staff bios and some interviews. This booklet also lists various K-On! merchandise for sale, some collaborations with other companies for the movie's promotion (such as USJ, Lotteria, Lawson, Denny's, Banpresto, etc.), and a message from kakifly, the creator of the series.
  • The other booklet contains concept art/character sheets for the movie. I coulda sworn some pages were uploaded somewhere around here... You do get to see just how short the main five are in comparison to the English locals.
  • Inside the BD case, aside from the two discs, is a bunch of other goodies. There's two small double-sided inserts with the sheet music for "Tenshi ni Fureta yo!" for the older four, with little scribbles on each of them; giving them each some character (e.g. Yui's one has fake eraser markings all over it, with a small sketch of Azunyan; whilst Mio's is extremely neat, and so on). A set of replica limited version movie tickets are also included. Finally, there's five "photos" of HTT performing at the Japan Pop Culture Expo in London.
  • Of course, disc 1 contains the movie itself, with Japanese subtitles, as well as a selection of five audio options: the standard 5.1ch and 2.0ch audio tracks, and three commentary tracks.
  • All the extras are on disc 2: it has the non-credit versions of the opening and closing credits, and the various trailers and commercials used to promote the movie. Other extras include a video of the director going to London to sightsee for the movie, an interview with the voice actresses, a look at the K-On! promo tie-in with USJ's 10th anniversary back in November last year and other videos surrounding the staff involved.
  • (A little disappointed that inserting the discs into my PS3 showed up merely as "BDMV", rather than a picture with the name of the movie a la Avatar and Inception. Perhaps it's a region issue? The movie BDs themselves are region free though, unlike the DVDs, which are locked to Region 2.)
  • Since I bought mine from CDJapan (aka Neowing Corp.), I also got a mousepad as well, pictured with the five HTT members wearing their attire from the London sushi bar performance.
  • All in all, looking at all the stuff that's bundled in this package, I'm not surprised by how well it's selling (last I checked, the BD LE has sold about 104600 copies). For the fans, it's very much a must-have collector's item.
(If people want, I can upload a few pictures of the contents, but I did a bad job of the photography )
Old 2012-08-08, 09:54   Link #892
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
  • All the extras are on disc 2: it has the non-credit versions of the opening and closing credits, and the various trailers and commercials used to promote the movie. Other extras include a video of the director going to London to sightsee for the movie, an interview with the voice actresses, a look at the K-On! promo tie-in with USJ's 10th anniversary back in November last year and other videos surrounding the staff involved.
Damn, now I want to get that for the no-credits version of the ED :O
Old 2012-08-11, 12:01   Link #893
alarmadadna hadi

That part when Yui goes into her "trance" after seeing the baby and adds her engrish while performing in the japan pop culture thing really clicked with me, maybe it was the camera sequence that made me share a little in that high. It sort of felt like a tribute to London at that point.

Also, the new "BBC" video clip was a nice treat
Old 2012-08-11, 12:49   Link #894
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmadadna hadi View Post
Also, the new "BBC" video clip was a nice treat
Word of warning: the "BBC" logo was an addition by "someone" along the chain. If you saw the original it wouldn't be there (even if I find it to be a brilliant idea).
Old 2012-08-12, 02:18   Link #895
Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
that last shot of the Boeing 767 flying off
Why did you say that it's a 767? Was there a design element of the plane that made you think that, or was it just what someone else said? ^^; When I first saw the plane, I was thinking either 777 or 787, but also wondering which twin-aisle, twin-engine Airbus aircraft might be options (I'm much less familiar with the Airbus family. It seems that the A330 is the only option now, but no one seems to fly them with more than two seats outside of the aisles toward the rear). While JAL seems to fly them, I never considered the 767 since its economy seats are usually 2-3-2. JAL doesn't seem to use any Airbus aircraft these days, and the 787 is really too new for it to have been a consideration (JAL also flies it with a 2-4-2 economy arrangement, and it doesn't go to London). Many airlines fly the 777 in a 3-3-3 configuration, except for the last row (United recently-ish switched from 2-5-2), and JAL and Seatguru show what we see in the movie (with Seatguru saying that Ritsu's got a lousy seat ^^; ). The first place that I should have gone was JAL's site, I guess, because it shows that the girls' flights JL401 and JL402 use the 777-300ER. ^^;;;

I enjoyed the fact that the girls went to London, and I got to see some familiar sights from my own trips there. I was thrilled to see them shopping at the Waitrose store next to the Gloucester Road Underground station. It's right around the corner from a couple of the hotels that I've stayed at when I've gone to London, and I've been in there two or three times. Yay! \^_^/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I got my copy of the Blu-ray limited edition of the movie in the mail yesterday, so I figured I would share my thoughts about it...
  • (A little disappointed that inserting the discs into my PS3 showed up merely as "BDMV", rather than a picture with the name of the movie a la Avatar and Inception. Perhaps it's a region issue? The movie BDs themselves are region free though, unlike the DVDs, which are locked to Region 2.)
Most Japanese BDs just use the generic blue disc with "BDMV", instead of some icon/image for the disc. Maybe 5-10% of the imports that I own (more toward the former than the latter, but maybe I'm not buying the right Blu-rays) make use of the feature, which is a disappointment considering that the PS3 is a product from their country and is probably the most common Blu-ray player over there. Would they have to pay Sony a fee for making use of it? That's the only thing that comes to mind for why they wouldn't use the feature. ;_;
Old 2012-08-12, 02:37   Link #896
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
Why did you say that it's a 767? Was there a design element of the plane that made you think that, or was it just what someone else said? ^^; When I first saw the plane, I was thinking either 777 or 787
Total brain-fart on my part. It's definitely a 777. Certainly the first one is . . . "Boeing 777" is painted right next to the aft door on the plane the girls take to London (marvel at KyoAni's attention to detail. When I saw that and thought back to my post, I had a good facepalm.) The one they take home looks like another of the kind the girls take to London, so it must be a 777 too.

JAL does operate 767s . . . but they're mostly "domestic and short-haul international" planes. The 777 is their main long-distance international carrier.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:34   Link #897
Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Total brain-fart on my part. It's definitely a 777. Certainly the first one is . . . "Boeing 777" is painted right next to the aft door on the plane the girls take to London
Don't worry. Even after watching the movie three times, I'd forgotten that particular detail, too. When I spot-checked the BD while writing my post, I was only double-checking the flight number, and didn't think to glance at the airplane stuff again. ^^;

Quote:
(marvel at KyoAni's attention to detail.
That sort of thing is one of the main reasons why I'm interested in (and buying) Hyouka. They seem to have more detail, background movement, etc. in a lot of their products than many other studios. It's beautiful to watch.

Quote:
When I saw that and thought back to my post, I had a good facepalm.)
Heh...

Quote:
The one they take home looks like another of the kind the girls take to London, so it must be a 777 too.
JAL's only got one Narita/London flight a day, so it's hard to squeeze another aircraft type in there. KyoAni should have shown us the tail numbers, so that we could see if they returned on the same plane they arrived on! ;p More detail! ^^;;;;

Quote:
JAL does operate 767s . . . but they're mostly "domestic and short-haul international" planes. The 777 is their main long-distance international carrier.
Yeah, their 767-300ERs have the range to do Tokyo-London, but their seating arrangement is definitely for domestic/short-international with only two classes in each of their three floor-plans (none of which include the lie-flat first class seats)...
Old 2012-08-22, 04:21   Link #898
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Just saw the movie.
Man it's a long slice of life story.

"May I Azu-sist you?" lol

Love the ending song as usual K-on never fails to amaze me.
Old 2012-08-27, 12:11   Link #899
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I'm a little late to the party here, but I did get and watch the Blu-Ray way back in July. The movie is an immensely enjoyable watch, making both everyday and extraordinary events come to life in the way that the movie can bring it out. I'll give it nine for being enjoyable but not exploring London in great enough detail I have no idea what future directions this franchise will take, but as it stands now, it could be concluded satisfactorily with the movie.
Old 2012-09-01, 21:51   Link #900
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
I'm a little late to the party here, but I did get and watch the Blu-Ray way back in July. The movie is an immensely enjoyable watch, making both everyday and extraordinary events come to life in the way that the movie can bring it out. I'll give it nine for being enjoyable but not exploring London in great enough detail I have no idea what future directions this franchise will take, but as it stands now, it could be concluded satisfactorily with the movie.
Yeah, the movie should be the end of all. I don't want the series to be ruined by bringing another season from the new source material that introduces new characters.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, slice of life