AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2014-02-27, 05:58   Link #941
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Post Chronological Consistency of Silent Party Arc

Images
image space
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
This image was posted on the To Aru Universe Facebook page. It appears to attempt to sort out that entire mess with the Silent Party Arc not being chronologically consistent with the Index main series. I am guessing this scan comes from the bonus material that was included with the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Vol8 Limited Edition BD/DVD.

For someone like me, who finds chronological consistency in the Toaruverse to be paramount and was endlessly frustrated by the Silent Party arc's complete segregation of any remote hint as to what was happening concurrently on the Index side of things, I thought it was interesting to see how JC Staff tried to explain itself.

The thing is...
TL;DR…
tl;dr
ignoring the actual narrative of the arc, the timeframe of the Silent Party Arc is actually chronologically consistent with the rest of the Toaruverse; and the dates given in the above image can actually be interpolated logically from the information that is presented in the arc.

Apparently chronological inconsistency was one of the major complaints about the Silent Party Arc. This scan appears to debunk that complaint.

In the end, I doubt the casual viewers or Railgun only viewers would care about something as tedious as this, but I will give Project Railgun team credit for at least trying to make it chronologically consistent (in some loose sense).

I only wished Fake Unabara (yes I know who he is) had some sort of constant role in the arc aside from a vague passing mention in one episode. His inclusion would have been a benefit for numerous reasons I dont want to go into right now.

Also I wished real world physics and Toaruverse canon rules and laws still worked in the Railgun anime (honestly the amount of inconsistency and BS that is solely used to make the character look visually cool is ridiculous).

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-02-27 at 16:14. Reason: We have nice tags for images and tldr ;p
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 17:09   Link #942
Ernietheracefan

Why they put the 31st August night episode as the first episode of S2...??
Btw.., will you edit the calendar..??
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 18:30   Link #943
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Doing a "chronological walkthrough" through both index and railgun together could be interesting... The only problem would be the sister arc, since the TvA fight is present in both shows. But the railgun version is superior, imo.
Old 2014-02-27, 20:26   Link #944
Birdway
Banned

*looks at the staff trying hard to fit SP Arc in the series timeline*

Pffttttt, wahahahahhahaaaaa, no, stop it, please, hahahahahaha.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 21:02   Link #945
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
I understand the humour but as I said, it actually isn't hard to get to the same dates that JC Staff have come up ie. the timeframe does fit within the bounds of the canon.

Now its an entirely different thing if they were to try and justify the narrative of the arc. THAT would be hilarious.

Though to stay balanced, I'd say the Index Movie was just as flawed as the Silent Party Arc (heck the movie IS chronologically inconsistent). One is a showcase of everything that I find wrong with the Index anime; the other is a showcase of everything I find wrong with the Railgun anime original arcs. Their problems lie in different areas though and there isn't a suitable place on these forums to discuss and compare them.
Old 2014-02-27, 23:26   Link #946
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
*looks at the staff trying hard to fit SP Arc in the series timeline*

Pffttttt, wahahahahhahaaaaa, no, stop it, please, hahahahahaha.
Hey, I'm also okay with that timeline. There isn't anything wrong with it at all. In fact saying anything is wrong with it is ridiculous. If there is any mistake in that timeline that's glaring, I would laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
^
I understand the humour but as I said, it actually isn't hard to get to the same dates that JC Staff have come up ie. the timeframe does fit within the bounds of the canon.

Now its an entirely different thing if they were to try and justify the narrative of the arc. THAT would be hilarious.

Though to stay balanced, I'd say the Index Movie was just as flawed as the Silent Party Arc (heck the movie IS chronologically inconsistent). One is a showcase of everything that I find wrong with the Index anime; the other is a showcase of everything I find wrong with the Railgun anime original arcs. Their problems lie in different areas though and there isn't a suitable place on these forums to discuss and compare them.
I don't find the movie inconsistent. If you've read the novels accompanying the movie and the psp sidestories it all makes sense...

I also think most of the Silent Party Arc makes fine sense except for some execution somewhere along the line there. I liked that arc, and I liked the premise of that arc. I don't think it was nearly as good as the first arc, but people really hate on it too much in my opinion, it's annoying. Then again, it's butt-hurt fans who are the ones hating on it.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 23:40   Link #947
Ernietheracefan

Does anyone realize that on September 1&2, we're watching two girls who wearing gothic lolita outfits....???
Old 2014-02-28, 02:05   Link #948
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I don't find the movie inconsistent. If you've read the novels accompanying the movie and the psp sidestories it all makes sense...
I am still talking about chronological consistency here. The movie chronologically takes place between Volumes 8 and 9: a 3 day period. The movie itself takes place over more than 5 days... thats pretty inconsistent.The Ensemble side stories have little impact on the movie.

Quote:
I also think most of the Silent Party Arc makes fine sense except for some execution somewhere along the line there. I liked that arc, and I liked the premise of that arc. I don't think it was nearly as good as the first arc, but people really hate on it too much in my opinion, it's annoying. Then again, it's butt-hurt fans who are the ones hating on it.
TL;DR…
response
I don't think people hate the arc too much. They hate it as much as is deserved. It was poorer than the Poltergeist Arc IMO. Please don't pass off legitimate criticism as butt-hurt fans dniv. Sure there is some degree of it, but nothing substantial like ALL of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernietheracefan
Does anyone realize that on September 1&2, we're watching two girls who wearing gothic lolita outfits....??
...!! A 4 koma with the 2 of them meeting is needed.
Old 2014-02-28, 03:09   Link #949
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Make that happen Kamachi/Haimura...
But, unfortunately, Shinobu was already gone...
Old 2014-02-28, 03:34   Link #950
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
I am still talking about chronological consistency here. The movie chronologically takes place between Volumes 8 and 9: a 3 day period. The movie itself takes place over more than 5 days... thats pretty inconsistent.The Ensemble side stories have little impact on the movie.

TL;DR…
response
I don't think people hate the arc too much. They hate it as much as is deserved. It was poorer than the Poltergeist Arc IMO. Please don't pass off legitimate criticism as butt-hurt fans dniv. Sure there is some degree of it, but nothing substantial like ALL of them.

To be fair, I didn't like it that much either. I'm just saying it wasn't that bad. I've seen much, much worse. People were just complaining especially because it came right after the Sisters arc which people thought was perfect.
Old 2014-02-28, 16:13   Link #951
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Hey, I'm also okay with that timeline. There isn't anything wrong with it at all. In fact saying anything is wrong with it is ridiculous. If there is any mistake in that timeline that's glaring, I would laugh.
What about the poor plot development of Silent Party Arc and its narrative?

You know, Saten learning how to drive a mecha by reading a book. Having several mechas... without weapons.... and I don't even want to remember anything else of that .

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-03-01 at 21:58. Reason: removed movie discussion; not for this thread
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 19:15   Link #952
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
What about the poor plot development of Silent Party Arc and its narrative?

You know, Saten learning how to drive a mecha by reading a book. Having several mechas... without weapons.... and I don't even want to remember anything else of that .
About the terrible plot for the Silent Party Arc, we weren't talking about that, just the timeline. The details still don't make sense, I completely agree with you.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-03-01 at 21:58. Reason: removed the movie discussion
Old 2014-02-28, 19:34   Link #953
chaosprophet

Although the timeline only fits if you ignore Kongou. If the arc is every considered as if also happened in the novels/railgun canon, then it would be a different version without any involvement from her.
Old 2014-02-28, 20:20   Link #954
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
That assumption is a given when trying to place Railgun Anime Original Arcs into the Toaruverse canon. It is the same for the Poltergeist Arc, and we know that said arc did happen in the canon.
Old 2014-02-28, 21:37   Link #955
chaosprophet

Quote:
^
That assumption is a given when trying to place Railgun Anime Original Arcs into the Toaruverse canon. It is the same for the Poltergeist Arc, and we know that said arc did happen in the canon.
How relevant was Kongou on it though? In the Silent Party arc, her relevancy was big enough that you would need to change it a lot to make it fit.
Old 2014-03-01, 00:01   Link #956
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
True enough. Her role in the Poltergeist Arc was minor so not much needs to be changed in order to see how a canon version of the arc would have played out. Thats why it is easy for me accept the arc as mostly canon. Its impossible for me to do the same for the Silent Party arc.
Old 2014-03-22, 23:03   Link #957
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

So funimation has announced that it will be dubbing Railgun S in two parts, what great news.
Old 2014-03-24, 11:33   Link #958
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Can we all just agree the Silent Party arc was a terrible idea? It was boring and was completely overshadowed by the Sisters Arc. They could've used the second cour to prepare Anime audiences for what was coming in the manga by expanding more on Misaka's history with Misaki and would've been a nice little teaser for Anime/Manga people, like JC Staff are suggesting that "hey, we could very well make a third season ".

Instead, she gets dudded with one brief appearance.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 13:31   Link #959
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I thought the Silent Party arc was fine. Honestly, I think most of the bitching about it was just 'cause it wasn't Liberal Arts City.
Old 2014-03-25, 12:24   Link #960
zaeraal

The Railgun S OVA is out and it is REALLY GREAT

All girls are there (including Saten and Uiharu). Sadly it has only 6 minutes.

It is about Konori and her favorite bathing place that is getting old and they want to close it.
Therefore she (and co.) decide to make it popular again.

Was laughing really hard (mostly on Kuroko's treatment).

Spoiler for screenshots link:
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, seinen, shounen