Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The question is: is it DRM'd?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 12:59   Link #42
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
...Unless, of course, they block foreign IPs (which would be sad).....
The GyaO service agreement says that viewing is limited to residents of Japan, and the registration page asks for a postal code and an e-mail address. But I don't know if that means the broadcast won't work for foreign IPs. There are lots of Japanese residents who are temporarily working or studying abroad. The new episodes of this show are posted at noon on Fridays, Japan time.

In any case, there are such things as Japanese proxy servers.... I don't think the small number of foreign residents who would take that route, if it was necessary and it worked, would be a big problem for GyaO's server load. But they would be breaking the service agreement.

As for being DRM'd, am I right in thinking that we wouldn't have that first episode if it were? Or did the raw for that come from some other source? Or would the poster have somehow been able to bypass the DRM?

And I checked Shouboi Calendar, which shows no TV broadcast, just the GyaO one -- at least into December.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 06:08   Link #43
wao
OK.

You can find postal codes if you look at the right places (which I've done before), or if you have a sympathetic Japanese friend (which I don't have).

And surely it must be DRM'd - but obviously that doesn't stop people from being able to rip it anyway, otherwise how would it have appeared? The content of this show is also more 'generally appealing' than FLAG so I really hope it doesn't get stuck in raw limbo like FLAG. Then again, Wings of Rean had 'generally appealing' content PLUS the Tomino label but we've yet to see episode 4 and 5...

Of course, this is absolutely awful on our part because it's really outright begging, but what the heck... I really do want to see what happens, and also, Akizuki is just too damn cool and angsty in a non-teenage-kid way!
Old 2006-10-14, 00:40   Link #44
sanachan

Just a quick post... I watched this series and I really liked it, I wonder if part of the Ergo Proxy staff is working in this one?? Because the main character's eyes were just like Vincent Law's, and also some other details in character design...

The opening was great, loved the song and the animation... a really good anime intro!!! And the whole episode felt really great, I was so happy Sunrise was making such a good product, I still remember Escaflowne... but I also remember stuff like Cluster Edge xDDD So, watching this made me feel like going back to those old days when you could actually watch a series and know from the first episode it was going to be great and, maybe, change your life xDDDD

About the main character, he kindof reminded me of FFVII's Cloud Strife :P I even thought they shared the same seiyuu (but don't), but you know, that cool face, almost inexpresive, but having a good heart... it's still the first episode, but he didn't talk too much either... and even his face reminds me of FFVII AC Cloud.. just a thought ^^u
sanachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 04:43   Link #45
duckroll
綺羅星★!

FLAG isn't in raw limbo. Ep1-6 is the first season. The second season doesn't start until Winter.

Wings of Rean raws are all out, you just need to know where to look.

The Bakumatsu ep2 raw is available too, same rule applies.

And yes, Gyao blocks all non-Japanese IPs and all the files are DRMed.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 05:48   Link #46
wao
OK.

Well, I do wish I knew where to look besides on Sh*re and ***ny because I can't get the former to work and the latter is usually very bad at finding things like that. I'm currently trawling chinese websites to no effect. Oh well.
Old 2006-10-14, 06:44   Link #47
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Well, I do wish I knew where to look besides on Sh*re and ***ny because I can't get the former to work and the latter is usually very bad at finding things like that. I'm currently trawling chinese websites to no effect. Oh well.
For Sh*re, you need to be "recommended" by other people who have download stuffs from you to expand your node. For NY, you just have to dump a lot of stuffs into your Down folder.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 06:51   Link #48
wao
OK.

Well, I've included just about everything I have in my down folder (which includes quite a large amount of raws now) but while I have no problem getting more popular titles like Eureka 7 and Blood+ (i.e. the kind of things that are broadcasted nationwide), and still not too bad for things like Noein, it's really awful trying to look for things like this. Too bad, I guess.

Another thing that's stopping me from frantically running it again and trying everything is the fact that it uses up tons of memory on this memory-lacking computer. I do wish I didn't have to live on 256 MB of RAM, but it can't be helped now.

I guess I can wait anyway, it only aired what, yesterday (Friday noon)?

EDIT: Ah look, it's out already.

Last edited by wao; 2006-10-14 at 07:08.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 07:50   Link #49
evil-samurai

Spoiler for episode 2:

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-10-14 at 08:35. Reason: Added Something!
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 08:29   Link #50
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Yes, yes another awesome episode.
Spoiler:

Who was the Brit on the ship? Another historical figure from the period?
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 09:24   Link #51
wao
OK.

Whoaaaaa. That scene with Akizuki that evil-samurai and Sonhex referred to was SO aimed at the girls, I swear. I literally pointed at the screen and grinned at that moment (sorry, I can't help it!!) What was with that look?! Quick, I need to hide in a hole and giggle girlishly...

Anyway, it was a good episode; not as good as episode 1 but still went along fairly quickly, no major complaints.

Spoiler:

Anyway, I don't know how much of this will appeal to the viewer who wants something very realistic and less dramatic. But while I'm ready to admit it has its weaknesses, it's right up my alley so what the heck. At the same time I think I'm probably going to end up going silly over this series, making me incapable of having a proper, level-headed discussion of it... Whatever. I can't wait for next Friday!

For now here's a peek at episode 3.
Spoiler:
Ah, but of course... Dare I say that the proceedings almost feel very old-school?
Old 2006-10-14, 10:38   Link #52
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Whoaaaaa. That scene with Akizuki that evil-samurai and Sonhex referred to was SO aimed at the girls, I swear. I literally pointed at the screen and grinned at that moment (sorry, I can't help it!!) What was with that look?! Quick, I need to hide in a hole and giggle girlishly...
Spoiler:
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 11:05   Link #53
wao
OK.

That's true. 
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-14, 11:44   Link #54
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yeah, still great. The poor video makes it a little hard to appreciate the wonderful animation, but it's still there for me -- even if a little less wonderful than episode 1. And the stylishness of this puppy carries me through.
Spoiler for ep2:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 12:39   Link #55
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Spoiler for episode 2:
Old 2006-10-14, 13:35   Link #56
Aniki Meiski

This show is surprisingly very accurate with regards to history up to now. It takes place Feburary 1968 gregorian calender, 2 months after assasination of Ryoma (the narrator stated this specifically at the end of Ep. 1), 3 years after the end of American Civil, one month into the Boshin War (Japanese Civil War).
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 14:28   Link #57
wao
OK.

Maybe that's what the cultural advisor person they had was for... Nice to know it's chronologically accurate to that extent

As for the baddie in episode 1/2:
Spoiler for episode 2:

EDIT: Gah, I should be going to sleep... but I can't resist it, so here is my rough transliteration + translation of the OP if this will help anybody:

It's actually one of the easier OPs to transliterate, not like many others which you can't make sense of... thanks for the clear enunciation, Yuuka Nanri!

P.S. It's really rough because I usually don't translate songs at all and it's also 4:26 am

tsukikage kooru daichi wo
korogari fumiwaketeyuku

The shadow of the moon spills over the frozen earth and parts it in two

horobi to saisei no
jidai ga hajimaru

The era of destruction and of rebirth is beginning

jiyuu wo omoku kakagete
michinaki michi wo erande

Hanging your heavy freedom on you (?)
Choosing a path without a road

mahiru yori mabushii
nichibotsu wo koete

Brighter than the midday sun
But past the evening sunset

yume wo kataru you ni
toki no fune wa yuku

As if speaking of dreams
The ship of time continues on/leaves us (I don't know which)

sono yamiji no mukou ni
atarashii yoake

Beyond that dark road
There is a new dawn

bokura wa kitto kurayami no
kaina kara umaretekita

We must be born from the arms of darkness.

kanawanu koi wo suru you ni
hikari e to samayotteru

Like falling into a love that will never be returned, you/we wander into the light

doko made mo hateshi no nai
kono michi wo kaeru sube wa nai

There is no way to change this road, which goes on until forever.

Try listening to the OP and taking note of what happens along with the lyrics...
EDIT: I even made a lousy banner using one of my favourite slices from the OP I fail at extracting the logo though...

Last edited by wao; 2006-10-14 at 16:31.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 18:02   Link #58
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

As I read all these positive reviews, I become frustrated at the fact that, so far at least, NONE of the three series I am most interested in this season have yet been subbed (Bakumatsu being one of them). And yet Death Note and Kanon have been subbed by numerous groups each. I know that people complain about this every single season, but stilll - it's so stupid.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 19:49   Link #59
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Well, you can't help it - I'm thankful enough someone's subbing my NHK ... but it's sad. I wish I knew stuff about fansubbing but all I've been was an editor and QCer.

I wish I knew Japanese.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 19:52   Link #60
kauldron26
Med Student

i am still in awe nobody has subbed bakumatsu, code geass or ayakashi. WTF??
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, supernatural