AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-01-10, 03:02   Link #1
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Winter 2012 General Impressions Thread: Post your opinion and grade

Well to quote a certain individual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, Winter has come up with quite a few titles of interest, so once again I summon the denizens of Animesuki to share their initial thoughts and impressions on this season and to update them if anything interesting changes.

Initially, I had planned to create an initial and final impressions thread for each season, but they got mixed up last time. So whatever, anything regarding any show that is airing this season can be discussed and updated; when the time comes you can update with your final thoughts as well.

The intention of the thread is mostly to discuss what's hot and new, but any thoughts on carryovers from previous seasons may be brought up, but do make sure you are talking about the most recent episodes (don't come here to rant about Naruto fillers from last year, for example)

Because it is still early, it may be a good idea to express grades in terms of keep/drop/stall if you're unwilling to give a rating at this point, or something like that. I'm more interested in which new shows are your priorities.

Previous formats went something like this, but obviously you are free to express your thoughts however you want; Your rating can be in terms of letter grades, numerical ratings, facepalms, Minkofaces etc. Or maybe you don't believe in grades.

Name of Series:
Episodes Watched:
Rating:
Comments:
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Also, I would ask that any specifics be kept in spoiler tags, please.

Nobody will arrest you for violating any formats or anything so post whatever thoughts and try not to comment on other people too much.

Last edited by Flower; 2012-01-11 at 08:14.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 04:46   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

I guess I should start the ball rolling on this one. Oh, and these lists are not in any particular order, by the way.

A List - Those I am really interested in.

- Natsume Yuuchinjo Shi - 2 eps in. Just continued Natsume greatness.
- Mouretsu Space Pirates - 1 ep in. Totally shocked how much I liked the first ep, did not anticipate liking a show called "Bodacious Space Pirates" or "Miniskirted Space Pirates" or whatever it is named.

B List - Those I am following, but not avidly.

- Daily Lives of High School Boys - 1 ep in. It delivered, even if I did see parts of ep 1 in the 8 PV's released already. I lol'd ... a LOT.
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - 1 ep in. What can I say - I like cats. -_-
- Amagami SS Plus - 1 ep in. A worthwhile successor to 1st season thus far imo.
- Chihayafuru - 13 eps in. Steady HQ show, carryover from last season.
- Towa no Quon - 4 eps in. Carryover from last season.
- Thermae Romae - 2 eps in. Such an absurd storyline (only something the Japanese could think of), but I hafta admit that I really lol'd at this one.
- Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai - only 1 ep in on this one as well. I'm hopeful for this one - I like the slow pace and the fact that it was not fanservice to the max. We'll see where it goes.

C List - Those I am still undecided whether or not to commit to following.

- Another - 1 ep in. First ep was very well skillfully produced on so many levels, but it did not grab me on a deep level yet. A nice ED at least.
- Ano Natsu de Matteru - 1 ep in. Who cares if it is similar to the Onegai Teacher/Twins series. I liked those and I liked the first ep. Will give it a try.
- Inu x Boku SS - 1 ep in. Um. Odd. An interesting story backdrop and some engaging weirdo characters. I wonder where it will go?
- Rinne no Lagrange - 1 ep in and ... well ... it's strange. But I guess I will try another ep or two?
- Recorder to Randoseru - 1 ep in. Really had no idea what to expect ... and ... umm ... I still don't, I guess.
- Area no Kishi - 1 ep in. Might be good, might not. Not sure.

D List - Those I have tried and dropped

- High School DxD. Lame. Really dumb too.
- Brave 10 - 1 ep in. Wasn't all that bad, but not all that great either. No reason to follow. I guess I liked the ED though.
- Zero no Tsukaima S4. I wasn't expecting much, I guess.
- Tantei Milky Holmes S2. Well, I did not like season 1 much, so maybe it's no surprise I didn't like S2.
- Nisemonogatari. Didn't really like Bakemonogatari to begin with, and yandere moments to start off a series is a surefire recipe for me to extend no benefit of the doubt whatsoever.
- Kill Me Baby. A few chuckles here and there. But not enough to make me interested to follow it.
- Aquarion EVOL. Totally lost and with no idea what was going on and no particular care to know. But then - not much of a mecha fan.
- Senki Zesshou Symphogear. Um. What? Music idols singing battle songs vs. alien ... thingees? No thank you. Maybe some time later?

The biggest surprise for me this season is without a doubt Miniskirted Space Pirates ... whoulda thunkit?

Last edited by Flower; 2012-01-15 at 18:21.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 15:26   Link #3
Dawnstorm

Still waiting for Inu x Boku SS. Using the quote feature, so I don't forget shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
- Natsume Yuuchinjo Shi - 2 eps in. Just continued Natsume greatness.
So far I've only seen the first season, and the first episode of the second season. I will get around to watching it some day. It's great.

Quote:
- Mouretsu Space Pirates - 1 ep in. Totally shocked how much I liked the first ep, did not anticipate liking a show called "Bodacious Space Pirates" or "Miniskirted Space Pirates" or whatever it is named.
I so agree. It's the best new show, so far. It's surprisingly good. For example, I like the way they put a veneer of nostalgia over futuristic everyday life. It seems so effortless. It's got the cheery sort of energy that I expect from a good adventure show but rarely get these days. It also seems to have a huge cast of wacky side-characters. It hits all the right spots. And best of all, the ecchi is extremely toned down; very easy to ignore (I was a tad worried by "miniskirt pirates", I admit).

Quote:
- Daily Lives of High School Boys - 1 ep in. It delivered, even if I did see parts of ep 1 in the 8 PV's released already. I lol'd ... a LOT.
I quite like it. Most of the show was decent, but the "literature girl" stint was brilliant, with the ED picking up on it being a master piece. Unfortunately, it aired right after Kimi to Boku. That wouldn't be much of a problem, if people hadn't criticised the boys therein for not being manly enough. Now, I can't shake the feeling that I'm supposed to be loud and annoying when I watch the show. This is not a fault of the show, to be sure. It's just bad timing. It'll go away, as I get to know the characters. Yeah, I like Kimi to Boku a lot more.

Quote:
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - 1 ep in. What can I say - I like cats. -_-
... "This cat is really round." Lol. It's good fun. I'm a cat lover, too.

Quote:
- Amagami SS Plus - 1 ep in. A worthwhile successor to 1st season thus far imo.
Really not much else to say. It's probably going to be one of my favourites this season. I was a bit worried about the concept ("after story"), as they had flash-forwards in the first season, but it seems they'll pull it off alright.

Quote:
- Chihayafuru - 13 eps in. Steady HQ show, carryover from last season.
One of my favourites from last season, carrying on. I liked the first few episodes more than the show over all, but it's still brilliant.

Quote:
- Towa no Quon - 4 eps in. Carryover from last season.
N/A

Quote:
- Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai - only 1 ep in on this one as well. I'm hopeful for this one - I like the slow pace and the fact that it was not fanservice to the max. We'll see where it goes.
If they don't up the ecchi, I'll stick with it. I like most of the characters. Nothing special, so far, but pretty entertaining.

Quote:
- Another - 1 ep in. First ep was very well skillfully produced on so many levels, but it did not grab me on a deep level yet. A nice ED at least.
I feel they're trying too hard to be sinister, so they end up being boring instead. Other than that, I like the concept and the characters. I'll see where this goes. Cautiously.

Quote:
- Ano Natsu de Matteru - 1 ep in. Who cares if it is similar to the Onegai Teacher/Twins series. I liked those and I liked the first ep. Will give it a try.
Never seen anything from the Onegai series, but I'm hooked. I predict it's going to be a favourite of this season. I even like the main's best friend, who's the type I'd normally roll my eyes at.

Quote:
- Rinne no Lagrange - 1 ep in and ... well ... it's strange. But I guess I will try another ep or two?
To be honest, it looks like something I'll end up watching "one-more-episode" until I realise it's done and I didn't actually drop it. I like the two main girls, but the "villains" seem cheesy. And the story isn't a huge pull for me.

Quote:
- Recorder to Randoseru - 1 ep in. Really had no idea what to expect ... and ... umm ... I still don't, I guess.
This one's... strange. I can't figure out whether it works for me. First, I think the boy's voice sounds too mature, but then I think it has to be like that. I'm mostly confused. (I've seen 2 eps already.)

Quote:
- Area no Kishi - 1 ep in. Might be good, might not. Not sure.
It's decent, but I don't generally care for sports anime. Depends on how they'll develop the characters.

Quote:
Ouch. I quit after half an episode, and I wish it hadn't taken me that long. I'm not the target audience.

Quote:
- Brave 10 - 1 ep in. Wasn't all that bad, but not all that great either. No reason to follow. I guess I liked the ED though.
Not interested, so I didn't watch it. If people say it's good I might come back.

Quote:
One season was enough. Not interested.

Quote:
- Tantei Milky Holmes S2. Well, I did not like season 1 much, so maybe it's no surprise I didn't like S2.
Haven't seen any of the series, and am not motivated to pick it up now. Am I wrong?

Quote:
- Nisemonogatari. Didn't really like Bakemonogatari to begin with, and yandere moments to start off a series is a surefire recipe for me to extend no benefit of the doubt whatsoever.
I liked some of Bakemonogatari, but the first episode reminded me of what I didn't like about it. I'm hoping it'll get better later. The first episode was obviously supposed to re-connect me with B, and that just didn't work for me.

Quote:
- Kill Me Baby. A few chuckles here and there. But not enough to make me interested to follow it.
I found it surprisingly funny. But then I expected very little. The opening and ending are instant classics for me. (The opening contains an "unused character"; I wonder if that character's gonna stay unused all through the show? I kind of hope so.)

Quote:
- Aquarion EVOL. Totally lost and with no idea what was going on and no particular care to know. But then - not much of a mecha fan.
Not interested.

Quote:
- Senki Zesshou Symphogear. Um. What? Music idols singing battle songs vs. alien ... thingees? No thank you. Maybe some time later?
Curious about that one. It was neither good nor bad, but they killed off a main character in the first episode, and focussed on another who we know will die. If this becomes more trippy as it goes on, with the border between characters blurring this might actually get interesting. It's got great potential (of both failure and success). I'm curious.

Quote:
The biggest surprise for me this season is without a doubt Miniskirted Space Pirates ... whoulda thunkit?
Absolutely. I keep re-watching the OP and it puts a smile on my face.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 00:25   Link #4
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I am only going to follow 5 series(so far) for Winter. I'll put them in alphabetical order.

Name of Series: Ano Natsu de Matteru
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: C-
Comments: Tries to mix comedy and sci-fi. So far, it feels a bit mediocre in both. The short senpai character, Remon, could potentially make this show more interesting than it would be otherwise.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep(for now)

Name of Series: Another
Rating: B+
Comments: Sets the right tone, the town that Kouichi moved to feels very creepy, and you can tell that "there is something they aren't telling him". Feels like a slow burner, but you know that you want to watch this with the lights on. Mei is the right mix of mysterious, formidable and moe. OP is rather bad.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: Area no Kishi
Rating: B
Comments: feels like a sports anime in the vein of Cross Game where the characters are as important to the story as the sport(soccer) itself. Kakeru is a likable protagonist and Nana(or her nickname "Seven") is a cute and likable love interest. I am also interested in the identity of the mysterious alien-masked person who plays against Kakeru in the park, but I have an inkling of who it is.

Name of Series: Inu x Boku S.S
Rating: A-
Comments: Surprisingly entertaining. Lead heroine is a tsundere that I really like. She's not the violent kind of tsundere, more the "sharp witted" type. Her bodyguard is a sparkly guy who asks that he be treated as her dog. She won't treat him like a dog though, and tries to be somewhat considerate of him. Supporting characters look interesting too

Name of Series: Moretsu Pirates
Rating: A
Comments: The series that I am most looking forward to watching every week. The protagonist, Marika, is an ordinary high school student who works part-time at a maid cafe(and enjoys it) and she is suddenly told that she has inherited the position of Captain of a ship of Space Privateers. Yes, she is the daughter of legal space pirates. She's down-to-earth and quite likable and happens to be moe too. I also like the mysterious parfait-craving dark-haired girl too.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 07:14   Link #5
abc0716

Since I don't watch too much Winter 2011 series, therefore my list will slightly shorter than most user's... (?)

Spoiler for Current-airing series, without ordering:

Here's my final thoughs on series that ended on last season:
Spoiler for Autumn 2011 series:

And here's my ranking on Current-airing series:
Spoiler for Ranking, descending order (better to worse):
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 02:08   Link #6
mecharobot

I only picked up Natsume Yuujinchou Shi. It's still consistent quality as always and makes me feel happy watching it. (8/10)

Mouretsu Pirates and Rinne no Lagrange, I dropped at first episode. Just too much silliness and no substance, nor balance everywhere. And these are supposed to be plot driven shows as I've understood. (3/10 for both)

edit: Adding Smile Precure. Quite impressive production values for now. Definitely has the potential to become a more than decent Precure show, depending on how well the character dynamics and concept play out. (8/10, a bit generous here)

Last edited by mecharobot; 2012-02-15 at 23:50. Reason: update
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 18:09   Link #7
Dextro
He Without a Title

Hum. Let me join in on the fun.

Name of Series: Mouretsu Pirates
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: B+
Comments: So far it's looking good but it's starting to feel a bit too slow for me. I'm however hopeful that we'll get something rather nice out of this one.

Name of Series: Nisemonogatari
Episodes Watched: 2
Rating: A+
Comments: So far it's exactly what I was hoping for so it's pretty much a given.

Name of Series: Rinne no Lagrange
Rating: B
Comments: I don't get it how people find most of the gags on the show funny. I've found most of them pretty awkwardly placed so far. However my curiosity has been piked by the story and with only 2 episodes seen I think there's still time for the show to grown on me. Plus I love the OP and ED!
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep (for now)

Comments: The tension in each of the 2 episodes I've seen so far is so think you could cut it with a knife. I'm loving it!

Name of Series: Amagami SS+
Rating: B-
Comments: So far it hasn't clicked with me but to be fair the first season only did so around the 6th episode or so.

And that's it, the rest are from the Autumn season.
Old 2012-01-22, 18:25   Link #8
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Ano Natsu

Episodes Watched: 2/12
Rating: 7/10
Comments: Kinda reminds me of AnoHana except with scifi instead of supernatural element.

Another

Rating: 8/10
Comments: Kinda creepy, but very cool

Area no Kishi

Episodes Watched: 3/-
Comments: pretty good for a sports anime the main character and some of the supporting cast is cute

Brave 10

Comments: An era we seen a million times, but I am enjoying it

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

Rating: 9/10
Comments: Great stuff laughed very hard. 24 minutes speed by in no time

InuXBoku SS

Episodes Watched: 2/-
Comments: Nice story and I love the main guy so handsome

Kill Me Baby

Episodes Watched: 1/-
Rating: 5/10
Comments: Boring didn't laugh that much I did love the ninja girl. Would have worked better if it were 5~12 minutes
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep unless the next three or four episodes do not get any better then Drop and change my rating to 4/10

Mouretsu Pirates

Comments: The director said he was going to remove all romance from this so that dropped my score to 7 if the story remains good and improves then 8/10

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi

Rating: 10/10
Comments: Still as heartwarming as it will always be

Recorder to Randoseru

Comments: I love the premises of the series although I wish it were longer than 3 minutes.

Thermae Romae

Rating: 6/10
Comments: weird in a good way. Not a half bad flash series

Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!

Episodes Watched: 1/12
Rating: 6/10
Comments: Its alright just as long as he doesn't do anything perverted to the 3 year old girl.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep unless the above happens then dropped and 1/10 sorry that kind of thing is not my cup of tea.

Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki

Comments: cute little shorts and I have the urge to go through the screen and squish the round kitty. xD

Continued from last season

Sket Dance

Episodes Watched: 41/-
Comments: Still fun to watch

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE

Episodes Watched: 14/-
Comments: Action and story improved over the last few weeks. Next generation starts next week can't wait!

Gintama'

Episodes Watched: 41/-
Comments: Still crazy fun

Beelzebub

Episodes Watched: 50/-
Comments: starting to drag, but still very good if it don't pick up soon then 7/10

On hold/Still on hold

Chihayafuru 1/25
Mirai Nikki 8/26
SnS III 3/24
HunterxHunter 2011 2/-
Fairy Tail 2/-

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 01:27   Link #9
starlol

Name of Series:Area no Kishi
Episodes Watched:3
Comments: Hate the 3rd episode.

Name of Series: Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Comments: 9/10 if only ep2 is as good as ep1
Status (Keep/drop/stall): keep

Name of Series:Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!
Episodes Watched:2
Rating:7/10
Comments: More fan service than i expected.
Status (Keep/drop/stall):Keep

Name of Series:Recorder to Randoseru
Comments: It will be better if it is 5minutes per episode.
starlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 15:29   Link #10
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Spoiler for First episode comments:
Still only watching five this season. If Black Rock Shooter gets a "delaycast" like Fate/Zero on Crunchyroll, I'll add it as my sixth. Previous comments quoted above. Shows in alphabetical order, but I'll rank them based on preference below too.

Name of Series: Ano Natsu De Matteru
Rating: C+
Comments: Supporting characters shine, Remon is such a delicious troll. Male lead is flat, bland and boring.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep(for three more episodes at least)

Name of Series:Another
Rating: A-
Comments: Third episode made me lose sleep, but shows that it just got real. Very atmospheric. Mei is moe and dangerous.

Name of Series: Area No Kishi
Rating: B-
Comments: Second episode was great, third was mediocre with ridiculous anime original ending. Still like male and female leads and Seven is hnnnnnnng moe.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep(if more episodes are like episode 3 in ridiculous scenes like the ending of the episode, I'm likely stalling after episode 6)

Name of Series: Inu x Boku SS
Comments: Cloth guy is a bro, Ririchiyo is complex and moe moe. Third episode is so emotional and the comedy is just gold. My sleeper of the season.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep!

Rating: A+
Comments: Pacing is about right for a coming of age story. Anime gets a lot about space right with a few artistic license things here and there. I love Marika and Chiaki. My yuri googles are staying on for this. This is still my favorite and most anticipated show of the season. Sci-fi done right.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep(and likely pre-order too)

My 1 to 5 ranking of the series that I am watching:
Spoiler for Ranking on preference:
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 21:46   Link #11
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Name of Series: Bodacious Space Pirates
Rating:
Comments: Well, it seems like very little happened the first episode, but I have a feeling this will work out. It doesn't feel insulting at all, and surprisingly low on fanservice. Plus dat Kanahana voice means...

Name of Series: Symphogear
Rating:
Comments: I dunno yet really. Did not like what I saw but maybe it has a chance.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Name of Series: Daily life of High School Boys
Rating:
Comments: Well, it's really wacky, but I think I like this better than the typical cute girls do cute things. Stupid bros doing bro things gets a bit silly at some points but it always has enough humor to get going

Rating:
Comments: It tries a bit hard in some parts, but this is a delightful surprise. Good art and animation from PA, and the pacing is great.

Rating:
Comments: Fairly silly premise, but could get going. Is mostly carried by Ririchiyo who is attractive and has a stunning personality to boot.

Name of Series: Chihayafuru
Episodes Watched: 16
Rating:
Comments: Exciting stuff as usual, and character drama does best when they're not getting too emo. Recap episode my balls though, but overall, Chihaya is Chihaya

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Rating:
Comments: Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. Same comments as usual, fun but the violence seems a bit nerfed, but the whole Hisoka thing keeps me watching.

Name of Series: Guilty Crown
Episodes Watched: 11
Rating:
Comments: Made one last attempt at watching it. Was a decent effort in places actually, but the inability to care about the plot or characters was the final death knell. Every time my eyes see Shu, I'm superfly TNT, I'm the guns of Navrone.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Dropped, for reals

Name of Series: Nisemongatari
Rating:
Comments: Fairly amusing in some parts, but I'm just not a big fan of the series's main selling female characters. Kanbaru, on the other hand is worthy. Plot actually seems to be building up, and overall I feel this was more entertaining than the first season

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-01-28 at 01:41.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 18:19   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Long:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 19:48   Link #13
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Name of Series: Guilty Crown
Episodes Watched: 11
Rating:
Comments: Made one last attempt at watching it. Was a decent effort in places actually, but the inability to care about the plot or characters was the final death knell. Every time my eyes see Shu, I'm superfly TNT, I'm the guns of Navrone.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Dropped, for reals
Hm, funny you stopped there... episode 12 was the episode that turned my feelings towards the series around. During the first half I was very apathetic towards the story and characters, I considered Guilty Crown to be a pretty but boring show, but for the past three episodes I've really been getting into the story, starting to appreciate all the characters and eagerly awaiting the next episode. Pretty surprising since I don't think I've ever done a total 180 on an anime before. Your experience might vary, but I'd be curious to see if you like the second half of the series if you ever undrop it. :[

I'd watch the second opening song, though, even if you don't care to watch the show itself again. It's catchy and awesome. (I keep a lot of shows on my computer even if I don't like them, actually, just because I like the opening or ending. Anime music rules.)
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 10:44   Link #14
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

New shows

Rating: 8.5/10
Comments: Had a bit of trouble getting into it, but episode 3 won me over. Rating will probably improve once more episodes come out

Comments: Easily the best mystery horror of this year so far. Great amount of suspense, eerie music, and generally a sense of foreboding.

Comments: Kimi to Boku was a nice preset for a SoL comedy featuring boys, but this show tops it by far.

Name of Series: High School DxD
Comments: Not sure what to say about it. I enjoy it more than I thought I would.

Comments: Can't think of anything I dislike about this show so far. Ririchiyo is a hottie, and the other characters are quite interesting as well.

Name of Series: Kill Me Baby
Episodes Watched: 4
Comments: Most of the jokes are hit-or-miss, which I think is the reason why a lot of people seem to dislike this show. I am still greatly amused by the wacky adventures of Yasuna, Sonya, and Agiri.

Comments: I;m finding it hard to fully enjoy this show. The pacing is very slow, nothing extraordinary has happened yet and there's not much else to keep me hooked. It seems to have potential, though, so I'll give it till episode 5 to either win me over or make me drop it

Name of Series: Nisemonogatari
Comments: Everything I loved about Bakemonogatari is once again present in this show, and more. Hopefully, SHAFT can keep on delivering.

Name of Series: Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!
Comments: Had a good build-up, fanservice is still relatively minimal and the girls are quite cute. Still, I'm a bit unsure of where the story will go from here and I fear it will lose steam as time goes by.

Name of Series: Recorder to Randoseru
Comments: Three minutes (or rather, two minutes and 20 seconds) are way too little to do this show justice. Like Morita-san before it, some jokes tend to be underdeveloped due to time constraints.

Name of Series: Zero no Tsukaima F
Comments: I'll probably need to re-watch all previous seasons to be up-to-date with the world of Louise and Saitou. Love the new ED, though.

Carryovers from last season

Name of Series: Chihayafuru
Episodes Watched: 14
Comments: The side characters are getting less and less development. In all other aspects, this show is still going strong.

Name of Series: Mirai Nikki
Comments: Good to see that Yukiteru is (slowly) manning up. His relationship with Yuno will probably get jumpstarted again, but by now, it's clear they can't live without each other.

Name of Series: Phi Brain; Kami no Puzzle
Comments: Nothing much to say here. Still as good as it was before.

Name of Series: Shakugan no Shana III
Episodes Watched: 15
Comments: Epic fights, interesting characters from all sides and animation looks very nice.

No show that I had to drop (yet).

Last edited by Lord of Fire; 2012-01-29 at 15:44. Reason: Fixed some typos
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 11:41   Link #15
leokiko

Comments: The pacing is slow, but the universe itself is entertaining. But I hate to wait for the next week for more slow-pacing stuff. So....

Comments: Incredible. I loved every episode of this show so far, but episode 3 absolutely sold it for me.

Name of Series: Rinne no Lagrange
Comments: I like the humor in this show and I am a big fan of mecha. And(surprisingly) I love the main characters(so far).

Comments: I'm not into the horror genre, but this has a nice atmosphere and interesting mistery. But...not a keeper. Definitely one to put on hold to marathon it afterwards.

Name of Series: Aquarion EVOL
Comments: I am a Sousei no Aquarion fanboy. Orgasmic action + awesome catchy song + romance = Win in my book.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Episodes Watched: 17
Comments: To be honest, I didn't like that they changed Hisoka's personality, and a few cuts may indicate they will lessen the violence, which is bad; BAD news. But, overall they did a great job on adaptating the manga more faithfully so far.

Rating: 7.5/10
Comments: The first episode was funny, the second too, but the third was a bit boring. If it doesn't decline from now on this is definitely a keeper.

Name of Series: Area no Kishi
Rating: 5/10
Comments: I'm not liking how much they are changing this. The manga is good but the adaptation isn't doing for me so far.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Drop

Name of Series: Last Exile Fam the Silver Wing
Comments: The battles are awesome, the CG is gorgeous, the music is entertaining, the ships and it's universe are endearing and Millia is great. Why am I mad then? BECAUSE OF THAT ***** Fam which name is in the freaking title. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate....ABSOLUTELY HATE her.

Chihayafuru and Mirai Nikki are animes that I enjoy a lot, but can't really handle the cliffhangers. So I'm waiting to watch it just after they end.

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-03-08 at 20:45.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 23:13   Link #16
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Hm, funny you stopped there... episode 12 was the episode that turned my feelings towards the series around. During the first half I was very apathetic towards the story and characters, I considered Guilty Crown to be a pretty but boring show, but for the past three episodes I've really been getting into the story, starting to appreciate all the characters and eagerly awaiting the next episode. Pretty surprising since I don't think I've ever done a total 180 on an anime before. Your experience might vary, but I'd be curious to see if you like the second half of the series if you ever undrop it. :[

I'd watch the second opening song, though, even if you don't care to watch the show itself again. It's catchy and awesome. (I keep a lot of shows on my computer even if I don't like them, actually, just because I like the opening or ending. Anime music rules.)
The 2nd OP is great, I like it a lot. Just because I don't like the show doesn't mean I can't salvage.

Unfortunately, if your reasons for not liking the 1st 11 episodes was boredom, I'm afraid I can't share the same sentiment. My issues with the show run deep with the very foundation of the series, which well, isn't much to begin with.

Even if Akagi came down from heaven and bitchslapped the crap out of Shu, turning him into some GAR testosterone filled badass, it wouldn't work. My dislike of him has not just to do with the fact that he is whiny or not conforming to standards of masculinity. It's simply a symptom of the greater issue that I feel that the story or characters have an "anything goes" tendency. It has gone far beyond whether or not I like the characters.

It's pretty evident at this point that even if it takes a turn for the better, which it will, (the last episode I watched wasn't too awful given the median for that series) that I just simply can't be fucked bothering with it. .hack sign for example had a really nice ending. Was it worth it? To me, not at all.

Had this year been slower, I would inevitably finish this. However, I simply have better things to watch. Guilty Crown missed the bus. It's too late to run after it. It'll just have to wait its turn at the bottom. Consider that I still have to watch Last Exile: FAM, Kamisama Dolls, finish EF, Wandering Son, Welcome to the NHK, among ongoing series, this decision is by and large final for a very long time.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 08:56   Link #17
Porco_Spiegel

I'm new here but not to anime

10 / 10:
None

9 / 10:
None

8 / 10:
Chihayafuru - 16 eps
Natsume Yuujinchou Shi - 4 eps
Last Exile : Fam - 13 eps

7 / 10:
Nisemonogatari - 3 eps
Daily Lives of Hish school Boys - 3 eps

6 / 10:
Mouretsu Pirates - 4 eps (maybe 7/10)
Hunter x Hunter - 6 eps
Bakuman S2 - 16eps
Guilty Crown - 13 eps

5 / 10:
Mirai Nikki - 14 eps
Area no Kishi - 4 eps
Porco_Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 22:24   Link #18
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Okay - I thought I would bump the thread with mid-season impressions.

Here are my early impressions:

Spoiler for Early in the season:

And here are my mid-season:

A List - Those I am really interested in.

- Natsume Yuuchinjo Shi - 7 eps in. Just continued Natsume greatness.
- Mouretsu Space Pirates - 6 eps in. Did not anticipate liking a show called "Bodacious Space Pirates" or "Miniskirted Space Pirates" or whatever it is named. But this series is great. Absolutely great.
- Thermae Romae - 6 eps in and finished! Such an absurd storyline (only something the Japanese could think of), but I hafta admit that I really lol'd at this one. A really solid offering and for me even funnier than Daily Lives of High School Boys, which is saying a lot!

B List - Those I am following, but not avidly.

- Daily Lives of High School Boys - 6 eps in. It delivered. I lol'd ... a LOT.
- Amagami SS Plus - 6 eps in. A worthwhile successor to 1st season thus far imo. Was not expecting much - when the season is all over I may try to watch both seasons with all 6 eps for each heroine in a row to get a clearer picture though.
- Chihayafuru - 19 eps in. Steady HQ show, carryover from last season.
- Towa no Quon - 5 eps in. Carryover from last season. Only one more to go!
- Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai - 6 eps in. Am enjoying the slow pace and the fact that it did not go the route of ecchi too much.
- Ano Natsu de Matteru - 6 ep in. Really good story with excellent characters.
- Inu x Boku SS - 5 eps in and am really enjoying it thus far. With Miniskirted Space Pirates this is another big surprise of the season so far.
- Rinne no Lagrange - 6 eps in and I am liking it. Should be called "the Madoka show" imo - the lead is really a great character.

C List - Those I am following but which are not especially thrilling.

- Recorder to Randoseru - 7 eps in. Really had no idea what to expect. It is okay, but really deserves better treatment imo.
- Black Rock Shooter - 2 eps in. It's not that bad and is watcheable for me.
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - 6 eps in. What can I say - I like cats. -_-

D List - Those I have tried and dropped

- Brave 10 - Wasn't all that bad, but not all that great either. No reason to follow. I guess I liked the ED though.
- Area no Kishi - Was not interested enough to follow, but not so bad.
- Another - Very skillfully produced on so many levels, but it did not grab me on a deep level. Guess horror/suspense just isn't my cup of tea.

The biggest surprise for me this season is without a doubt remains Miniskirted Space Pirates, but Inu x Boku also has been very enjoyable.
Old 2012-02-16, 03:21   Link #19
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Real life has been super hectic the last month, but I have still managed to watch an episode or two of all the new shows this season.

Smile Precure - Ok, I lied. I never watched this and have no intention of doing so.

Rinne no Lagrange - 7/10
Objectively, this is probably the show that will be the "hit" of the season. I'm just too old and cynical to care about cute girls in anime anymore, unless they are really quirky. I might have viewed saying "woof" as quirky when I first started watching anime, but it's going to take a whole lot more than that today. I give it a 7 based on production values alone, and should point out that I have no intention of watching it to completion. Also, the robots look dumb. Not quite Star Driver dumb, but darn close (from the perspective of an old fart who thinks Giant Robo is the pinnacle of the giant robot genre).

Aquarion EVOL - 2/10
LoL. I could sort of guiltily enjoy Aquarion Age back in the day. I'm going to be nice and say I'm just too old for the type of show EVOL is trying to be. That said, I can totally see myself watching this with a group of friends, just to laugh and make fun of it, like getting together to laugh and make fun of the Miami Heat. Which is why it gets a '2'.

Natsume Yuujinchou San - 8/10
Natsume is always a solid show, but that's why I always tend to give it around an 8. More of the same, when the same is "solid" is hardly something to be ashamed about, but it was much easier for me to stomach and enjoy when the gaps between seasons were longer.

Ano Natsu De Matteru - 5/10
I feel like I'm watching Denpe Something Or Nother, and the fact that I can't remember that show's name should tell you all you need to know about my feelings about Ano.

Another - 3/10
People tell me this is supposed to be a good show, but life has been hectic so I've only seen episode one. I thought I was watching an eroge, but without the ero (and I think eroges are about the second worst thing in anime). Eventually, I'll be watching more episodes, and maybe it'll grow on me. All the 'critics' can't be wrong, right???

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou - 8/10
This is the highschool boys show for straight boys to watch. Not that there's anything wrong with not being straight. Just nice that there's something for us. Choice and diversity in entertainment are good. Been a little weak in the last few episodes, as the show has drifted away from the three 'main' characters, but still amusing to watch.

Papa no Iu Koto wo Kikinasai! - 1/10
I know I said diversity is good, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy everything. This particular type of show I used to hate with a passion, but as these types of shows are slowly dwindling in their share of a given season's tv slots, I suppose I should give it a pity score, which is why it gets a 1.

New Prince of Tennis - 0/10
Pretty boys panting and heaving really aren't my thing.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2nd Act - 0/10
And, I didn't even have to watch a single episode to give it that score.

Thermae Romae - 7/10
Funny. Too bad it was so short. Points taken off for being too short.

Black Rock Shooter - 8/10
I've actually only watched half of the first episode, so my '8' is almost arbitrary.

Recorder to Rondoseru - ??/10
Ok, I never saw this, and while it looks dumb, it looks dumb in a non-panty flash/harem way, so I'm open to the idea that it might not be an automatic low score.

Kill Me Baby - 9/10
Low production values are trumped by chibis all the time. I suspect this show is going to grow old on me very fast, but for now this is the comedy of this season in my eyes.

Amagami SS+ plus - 0/10
If you haven't realized by now, this genre gets an automatic score from me without me ever watching a single episode. Unfair? That's life.

Inu x Boku SS - 5/10
Only watched two episodes. I'm not into pretty men enough to spend the time to find out if there's anything beyond making girls (and boys of a certain persuasion) go all aflutter.

Highschool DxD - 0/10
I don't think I need to repeat myself.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear - 8/10
That '8' is because I don't take anime seriously enough to care about the litany of issues that are being discussed in a circular manner in its thread. There's nothing particularly good about this show, but I still find it entertaining. I'm also probably biasing my score here because singing actually has a point (though, I admit, I have no idea why), and after all the hype behind Guilty Crown and a 'singing heroine' who's singing has been completely irrelevant, Symphogear just happens to have come at the right time to benefit from that disappointment. That said, the pacing has me concerned.

Area no Kishi - 6/10
I've played soccer since I was 5. You'd think I'd enjoy a soccer anime, but this has been so shounenified that I think I've only managed to get through the episodes I have through sheer inertia. The soccer in this show is incredibly laughable, and the only reason the show gets a '6' is because of its association with a sport I love. Objectively, the score should be a lot lower.

Zero no Tsukaima F - 0/10
Something about repeating myself.

Nisemonogotari - 5/10
There's one thing I enjoyed about Bakemonogotari. Senjougahara. The rest of it was what I file away with all the shows you've seen me give 0s and 1s to so far. This season is no different. Senjougahara scenes are a 10. The rest of the show is a zero. And, since Senjougahara scenes make up just a tiny portion of both shows, I'm being very generous with that '5'. I guess that just shows how awesome she is.

Mouretsu Pirates - 8/10
This show is all sorts of stupid, and yet...there's something about this show that is so earnestly...earnest, much like Marika herself. So, when it's a space opera (which is like my favorite genre ever), my sense of numerical scoring is thrown out the window. If there's one criticism I have that can reach through this strange euphoria I feel from watching what is admittedly an incredibly sad state of the space opera genre, it's that it's amazing at how little happens per episode.

Brave10 - 3/10 Probably
I'm not sure why they didn't just make a third season of Sengoku Basra, as it seems like its spiritual successor from the one episode I've seen, so I scored it the same I score that series.

Out of the shows from the previous season that are continuing this season, I am currently watching:

Last Exile -Fam- as regularly as my schedule allows. 8/10. Worse characters, better pacing than season one.

Caught up with Gundam AGE (dropped it after the first three episodes for the most part, and marathoned it recently). 2/10. Though the new arc shows promise that by the time the third arc starts, it might be a worthwhile Gundam show [spoken as a rabid Gundam fan who's been there through the highs (Zeta) and the lows (G)].

Waiting for Mirai Nikki to end and then marathoning it from where I left off, because I decided a show like that is best watched in one sitting. 8/10 up 'till the point I stopped watching.

If there's one distinction this season has going for it, it's that there isn't a single show I consider a 9+; a show that I eagerly count the days 'till the next episode. I think it's a first in the 13 years I've been watching anime seasonally.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-02-16 at 03:40.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 14:28   Link #20
Dawnstorm

Update from me:

Inu X Boku: One of my favourites this season. It sometimes teeters on the edge of melodrama, but never quite tips over. Ririchio sama is a marvellous character, and I don't trust the fox at all. The humour is goofy, but works for me.

Another: I want to know what's going on, and that's what keeps me coming back. The characters are well depicted, but for some reason I don't care about any of them. The atmosphere is not my cup of tea; they're trying too hard (Ep4 was a main offender: two people talk about the "curse" while we're watching a red-eyed crow/raven; creepy music in what's otherwise a surface-cheerful scene...) The material is good; the execution is perfect; I just don't like their approach.

Black Rock Shooter: Works for me. I didn't think the OVA was that brilliant, so I have no comparison issues. The two-worlds concept works for me better, here, although it's probably more subtle in the OVA. Wait and see. Too early to judge.

Recorder to Randesoru: I love the character design, everything else is avarage. With only a 3 minute investment, I'm going to keep it.

Nisemonogatari: I'm starting to get interested, now that the plot picks up. I'm not a fan of the rapid style changes (and some the styles I find plain unattractive). The earlier episodes seemed to rely on recognition value: and they banked on the very stuff I didn't like about Bakemonogatari, so... But it's getting there.

Natsume Yuuchinjou Chi: I've finally caught up with Natsume! (Yay!) I really love the show; the quality is consistent (though my favourite is probably season 2).

Kill Me Baby: Poor mindless fun. Sort of endearing. Comedy silver.

Moretsu Uchuu Kaizoku: Still the show of the season. A main critique point is the slow pace, but that's exactly what I like. A nice surprise.

Zenhime Sesshou Symphogear: The most "interesting" of the new shows. I'm undecided whether I like the concept (since I don't even know most of it yet). Unfortunately, I find the execution... uneven. I have trouble taking the singing seriously (how do they hold their notes while jumping around like that?). Also: Absolutely stunning perfomances by Yuki Aoi!

Poyopoya Kansatsu Niki: Nya! (Tranlation: Fun!)

Rinne no Lagrange: Watching for the three girls. The "villains" are cheesy; the plot is dull.

Amagami SS+: I liked the first season; I like this one. But it feels sort of like a coda. Nothing new. Which is a bit of a shame. But still: one of the more enjoyable watches this season.

Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou: Sometimes decent, mostly annoying. I'd drop this, but... there's the occasional flash of brilliance that makes all the annoyance worthwhile.

Papa no Iukoto wo no Kikinasai!: On the fence with this one. Glad they toned down the ecchi. Hina is adorable; the other two girls are likable enough. Raika's deadpan personality is hilarious. Sometimes heartwarming, sometimes too sentimental for my taste. Decent entertainment.

Ano Natsu de Matteru: One of my favourites. It's the love conga: put your arms on the shoulder of the one you love and off you go. Remon sempai will make a film of it.

Area no Kishi: Dropped. It's not bad, but sports anime aren't my cup of tea, and this one seems to go in a direction I don't like.

Carryovers:

Chihayafuru: Love it, but not as much as last season. Probably the best or second best (after the Pirates) show of the season.

Persona 4: Uneven. From terrible to brilliant, everything is possible. Overall - a mess. If they had dared to deviate from the game a bit more, this might have been great - the talent is there. Well, I'm still watching, so...

To-watch list: One of these I'm going to pick up Thermae Romae (I haven't yet, because the art style doesn't appeal to me).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote