AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-11, 12:38   Link #561
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
She promised, then reneged.
And it seems it wasn't the 1st time she's done that.

Anyway these days PA Works >>>> Kyoani.

It's been long when I finish watching an ep that I need the next already and then realize I need to wait 7 days.
Old 2011-04-11, 12:43   Link #562
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I imagine Ohana's relationship with her mother will continue to develop throughout the series; understanding it will likely be important to understanding how Ohana's relationship with her grandmother evolves... or doesn't.
Yeah I think so too. It's easy to see what could've happened between Ohana's mom and grandmom.

I also hope that means more chibi Ohana. =3
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 12:54   Link #563
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

After two episodes I've had a very hard time reconciling two aspects of Ohana's character. When she arrives at her grandmother's residence and throughout the time we've seen her spend there she seems to have an issue with entitlement where she shows up and acts like she owns the place, pulling up plants and moving other people's stuff without asking. She seems to lack even a rudimentary ability to understand what is appropriate to say when and instead displays an almost complete lack of tact. This is the kind of behavior I would expect out of a child who had been spoiled her entire upbringing and for the fist time was being treated like something other than a goddess.

However, what we've seen of her upbringing with her mother seems to indicate the opposite is true. Ohana's mother's attitude toward her daughter can probably be described as indifferent at best and it's clear that Ohana was forced to fend for herself, and was even told that she was going to be on her own now and in the future. I find it very odd that the character we see now could have developed out of that environment. I would have expected a much more cautious person who is careful about each action she takes because there's nobody there to save her if she screws up. Am I the only one who was confused by this?
Old 2011-04-11, 13:03   Link #564
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

A person who has had to fend for herself would have higher self-esteem and is generally confident even in novel situations, enough to take the initiative.

It's the person who's been pampered that would be more cautious.

Besides, she has no issue of entitlement. She thought those plants were just weeds and she tried to help Minko by doing her a favour because she admired her and wanted her to like her.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 13:17   Link #565
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think it's important to keep in mind that this is an anime, not an American TV show. Japan looks much more favorably on collectivism than America does, and also looks much less favorably on what could be called "rugged individualism" than what America does.
That's especially true in the workplace, and the scriptwriter is already on record saying work will be a major theme of the show.

Quote:
That being said, I do think that Ohana is going to have a positive influence on the workers at the Inn too (it won't be just them influencing her).
Yeah, the flipside of collectivism is that everyone has a responsibility to contribute what they can. And Ohana certainly brings something unique to the inn, even if she, her coworkers and the audience aren't yet sure what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
This is the kind of behavior I would expect out of a child who had been spoiled her entire upbringing and for the fist time was being treated like something other than a goddess. [...] I would have expected a much more cautious person who is careful about each action she takes because there's nobody there to save her if she screws up. Am I the only one who was confused by this?
I think there's a difference between being spoiled and being left to fend for yourself - "mummy will cook whatever her little princess wants for dinner" isn't the same as "go cook whatever you can find in the fridge, I'm busy now". My feeling is that Ohana has had to make decisions and take action all her life, so she's probably past fear of failure - or rather, she's learned the hard way that it's an inevitable part of life since there's never been anyone there to shield her from it.

As she said to Kō in the first episode, despite seeming flighty she's actually very pragmatic. Maybe that pragmatism and initiative is the quality that she'll bring to her newfound home and workplace, even if she does occasionally screw up along the way.
Old 2011-04-11, 13:46   Link #566
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
She seems to lack even a rudimentary ability to understand what is appropriate to say when and instead displays an almost complete lack of tact. This is the kind of behavior I would expect out of a child who had been spoiled her entire upbringing and for the fist time was being treated like something other than a goddess.

I don't think someone who is used to being treated like a "godess" would "lower herself" to pulling out weeds,but rather she'd complain about them to the first person she meets and ask that someone pull them out.
And I doubt someone who's been spoiled his/her whole life would ask to get slapped like she did.
Old 2011-04-11, 14:00   Link #567
wingman32x

Quote:
I imagine Ohana's relationship with her mother will continue to develop throughout the series; understanding it will likely be important to understanding how Ohana's relationship with her grandmother evolves... or doesn't.
I agree with this. We've only seen one side to a two sided story. Plus Ohana doesn't seem like the type of person that would think things through clearly.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 14:29   Link #568
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I'm curious about Minko's situation. She's seventeen yet already working and living away from her family (presuming she still has one). Is she working in some sort of apprenticeship? I also like Omigawa in this role (I like her nasally voice in general since it is different from most seiyuu).

On another note, the character design is kind of bothering me. Everyone's face looks the same. This was especially noticeable with the uncle and creepy author.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 14:52   Link #569
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Caught up today and this is an excellent show.

That grandmother is one mega bitch though. Damn.
Old 2011-04-11, 14:57   Link #570
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Caught up today and this is an excellent show.

That grandmother is one mega bitch though. Damn.
Tell me about it. Hopefully the anime noting her unusual behavior is a sign that she's starting to see the worth in Ohana.
Old 2011-04-11, 14:59   Link #571
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Tell me about it. Hopefully the anime noting her unusual behavior is a sign that she's starting to see the worth in Ohana.
That, and I think she realized that she was at fault since she knows she chose the wrong person to train Ohana.

I also find it funny how we're yet again, watching a series with an all girl cast.
Old 2011-04-11, 15:07   Link #572
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
That, and I think she realized that she was at fault since she knows she chose the wrong person to train Ohana.

I also find it funny how we're yet again, watching a series with an all girl cast.
Well, it's kind of hard not to find a slice of life or comedy series with all girls. That seems to be the trend nowadays.

Plus, PA Works is doing it, so that automatically demands attention from me. I believe you already know how much I liked True Tears, plus Angel Beats was good, too.

The theme of this series seems to be change so far. The grandma slowly changing her view of Ohana, Ohana wanting to change, etc.
Old 2011-04-11, 15:23   Link #573
Kirarakim

Although this is another series with an all girls cast I feel at least you have female characters that are not created to appeal to viewers fantasies. I like how all the girls are a bit flawed (including our main character) and I am interested in seeing how they will grow as characters.
Old 2011-04-11, 15:29   Link #574
Wakan Tanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Although this is another series with an all girls cast I feel at least you have female characters that are not created to appeal to viewers fantasies. I like how all the girls are a bit flawed (including our main character) and I am interested in seeing how they will grow as characters.
I agree on that, you don't need cute faces, big boobs and panties to get viewers hooked up...
Old 2011-04-11, 15:48   Link #575
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

This isn't an all-girls cast though. Even if Ohana, Minko, Nako, and the grandmother have the most screen time, that doesn't mean the male characters or the other supporting characters won't have significant roles later on in the series.

Not to say that the majority of the focus will be on the girls, but it's not as if the guys will be unimportant.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 15:51   Link #576
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Not to say that the majority of the focus will be on the girls, but it's not as if the guys will be unimportant.
Well I was thinking main cast not supporting cast and at least the opening/ending makes it seem the focus will be on the girls.

That is not to say that the male characters in the cast won't play a role at all.
Old 2011-04-11, 15:56   Link #577
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Yep, It was obvious from the start that people were going to be won over by the character dialogue and story instead of tits and ass.

Yes there are male characters in the series, but I don't think any of them will be important enough to be considered anything more than side characters.
Old 2011-04-11, 16:01   Link #578
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

If you guys are thinking about it that way, that makes sense.

Who do you guys consider main characters? Is it just Ohana, or do you guys include Minko and Nako as well?
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 16:05   Link #579
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
If you guys are thinking about it that way, that makes sense.

Who do you guys consider main characters? Is it just Ohana, or do you guys include Minko and Nako as well?
At this point, I think the main characters are Ohana, Grandma, and Micchi. Nako doesn't really feel like a main character yet IMO.
Old 2011-04-11, 16:06   Link #580
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think it's important to keep in mind that this is an anime, not an American TV show. Japan looks much more favorably on collectivism than America does, and also looks much less favorably on what could be called "rugged individualism" than what America does.

If this was an American TV show, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ohana's rugged self-reliant individualism triumph in the end. But given that this is an anime with a Japanese cultural flavor, I think we're going to see collectivism triumph in the end, with Ohana learning how each member of a team has his or her own role to play, and that you have to work effectively within the boundaries of your own role and in careful conjunction with your other teammates.
Blame my lack of cultural sensitivity, but if it just has her accepting authority is all good and she was wrong to speak for herself, then I'm just chucking this show out the window. (Abuse is good, you were wrong all along!)

Quote:
That being said, I do think that Ohana is going to have a positive influence on the workers at the Inn too (it won't be just them influencing her). Ohana needs to learn the importance of mutual reliance and teamwork in certain social settings, but many of the workers at this Inn need to learn to loosen up a bit and unclench. "Die" girl in particular needs to learn to stop taking everything so deathly seriously (pun intended ).
Of course, the world is not so clear cut, and the world has to work on compromise, so it's all good. For this kind of show, I really want something that will change the characters permanently, for better or for worse.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life