AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 16 21.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 33.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 28.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-02, 22:46   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Episode 7 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hyouka, Episode 7.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-06-03, 08:31   Link #2
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Episode 7: Revealing the True Form
Spoiler for KyoAni summary:

Script: Segihiko Yoshida (New person. Doesn't even have an ANN entry)
Storyboards/Director: Hiroko Utsumi (Directed a few episodes of K-On!! and Nichijou. Key animation for the OP)
Animation Director: Miku Kadowaki (Animation director on parts of the Haruhi and K-On! movies. Animation director for K-On!! and Nichijou episodes, but has worked on titles since Clannad)

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-06-03, 12:21   Link #3
LC
Shocking Pink

There are some screencaps here for the impatient like me: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-9967.html

Spoiler for Fangirling:

Last edited by LC; 2012-06-03 at 12:47.
Old 2012-06-03, 12:25   Link #4
tsunade666

Simply simple story and plain is still the best for me.

Spoiler for 09 the girls had better eye technique that Geass:

Well nice episode
Old 2012-06-03, 16:28   Link #5
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Hahahaha!

Rule #1 for public baths:
Spoiler:

Last edited by orion; 2012-06-03 at 17:21.
Old 2012-06-03, 19:48   Link #6
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

First thought on seeing this episode: "Is that Yui I hear?" A quick look says that, yes, Toyosaki Aki plays the part of Zenna Rie, the energetic, somewhat selfish, elder sister.

With that out of the way, we review Scooby Doo and the Ghost of Room Seven. And it pretty much plays out like a Scooby Doo mystery . . . i.e. something supernatural that turns out to be something mundane done to either conceal, or facilitate, the commissioning of a crime. Only instead of Fred, Wilma, Daphne, Shaggy, and Courage, the Cowardly Dog; we have Mycroft Houtarou, Daphne Mayaka, THE HYPNOTOAD Chitanda, and Yui Hirasawa . . . because Satoshi spends virtually the entire episode in the baths.

As it turns out, the whole hot springs thing was Chitanda's idea. Not Houtarou's because . . . well, Houtarou gets carsick. Also, whenever he gives all glory to the HYPNOTOAD in the hot spring, bad things happen.

We learn that Chitanda longs for siblings. We also find that the characterization of Houtarou as Mycroft Holmes may have some merit when he describes his "oddball genius" sister (a genius and a pugilist . . . I wonder if she's travelling Europe with a medical student/doctor-cum-Afghanistan war vet . . . ) We also find that the animators are all Itsuki for Houtarou (seriously, all the fanservice this episode is all Houtarou.) They also love their HoutarouXEru shiptease (silly Chitanda, of course it's a gender-segregated bath!)

The presentation of the mystery this episode is good, and the mystery itself is much better than last episode's (insofar as it's much more of a mystery in the traditional literary sense of the word.) The mystery gives it a bonus point over last week's episode for me.

Eight mini Yuis out of ten.
Old 2012-06-03, 20:14   Link #7
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I haven't seen the episode yet, but does Toyosaki Aki's character she is voicing is finally here?
Old 2012-06-03, 20:19   Link #8
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
If we needed an episode to confirm Houtarou falling for Chitanda this would do it. We're at the point where imagining her in the hot springs caused him to overheat and pass out . Not to mention couldn't handle the alone time with her in the room that soon after the hot springs incident. Apparently that imagination that has helped with so many of these cases backfired on him here .

A pretty entertaining episode. Solved a little mystery and had some fun. A lot of time spent together with Houtarou and Chitanda going around and figuring this out. Of course it wasn't anything supernatural, but just some issues between siblings. Nothing really surprised me there since Chitanda definitely has quite the idealized view of siblings. The idea that I'd have to steal something from a sibling to use it sounds pretty familiar . Though really good job on the parents to buy one kid a yukata and leave the other in the cold.

Overall enjoyed this one. Definitely a better 'mystery' this time around since it actually was one and they had to investigate. Satoshi really loves those hot springs though, spent the episode either in them, eating, or asleep.
Old 2012-06-03, 20:21   Link #9
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

It's very hard to say why I like this show. The episodes go by fast for me, yet nothing much happens. Yes, the animation is really good and the characters are fine, though not outstanding, but the substance is pretty much "meh". I very much doubt any other show that did what Hyouka does (okay, the Monogatari series comes close) would grab by attention.

In regards to this episode, the mystery was much better than last week's, and the comedy was pretty funny.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-06-03, 20:26   Link #10
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
If we needed an episode to confirm Houtarou falling for Chitanda this would do it. We're at the point where imagining her in the hot springs caused him to overheat and pass out . Not to mention couldn't handle the alone time with her in the room that soon after the hot springs incident. Apparently that imagination that has helped with so many of these cases backfired on him here .

A pretty entertaining episode. Solved a little mystery and had some fun. A lot of time spent together with Houtarou and Chitanda going around and figuring this out. Of course it wasn't anything supernatural, but just some issues between siblings. Nothing really surprised me there since Chitanda definitely has quite the idealized view of siblings. The idea that I'd have to steal something from a sibling to use it sounds pretty familiar . Though really good job on the parents to buy one kid a yukata and leave the other in the cold.

Overall enjoyed this one. Definitely a better 'mystery' this time around since it actually was one and they had to investigate. Satoshi really loves those hot springs though, spent the episode either in them, eating, or asleep.
Chitanda, ibara and next eps girl better fall for oreki. I need a Tomoya harem here.

Moving out of classrooms definitely makes things more interesting. Being beginning to get a nice sense if adventure from this show.
Old 2012-06-03, 20:49   Link #11
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Ah Houtarou finally thinking about Chitanda in various ways now.
Old 2012-06-03, 21:03   Link #12
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I'm tremendously amused to see Oreki's keen senses and superhuman scenario-building that have served him so well before backfire so spectacularly this week.
Old 2012-06-03, 21:07   Link #13
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

this episode was better than the last, also showing horaru has feelings for the heroine makes the motivation for him doing all that more believable, even if the "mystery" was very dull, the episode entretained me, though the scooby doo like conclussion of the mysterys dont appeal to me that much.
Old 2012-06-03, 21:36   Link #14
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
God KyoAni, this is BLATANT shipping of EruXOreki
Old 2012-06-03, 22:07   Link #15
rulfo

HOTaro... You damn sculpted masterpiece!
Old 2012-06-03, 22:37   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
God KyoAni, this is BLATANT shipping of EruXOreki
And I'm loving every minute of it.
Old 2012-06-03, 22:51   Link #17
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Damn it, this show is brilliant. I got chills, I got excited brain cells, and I even got slightly annoyed. That entire package just makes everything that much more entertaining.

I don't know about everyone else, but I still haven't seen anything that convinces me that Houtarou and Chitanda are legitimately into each other. We saw him blushing at a dripping wet woman out of the bath; what teenage boy doesn't get nervous at that? To me, their relationship feels more like a unique friendship where Chitanda leans far too much on Houtarou for her problems but is overall very grateful to him for it, while Houtarou gets annoyed by Chitanda's pestering but ultimately has a rewarding feeling about helping her. I'm not asking for concrete "holding hands and kissing on the sidewalk" evidence, but I don't sense Cupid's presence looming overhead as of yet.

Whether I'm right or entirely wrong, this episode was so exciting. I don't know what you people see when you say "nothing happened", but perhaps I could suggest letting loose and considering it to be a packaged box of mini-serials instead of it all being tied together? I can definitely agree that if you view each episode hoping that it will all build up to something, then it could be quite boring. However, take each episode for what it is, and then watch another series or do something completely different afterwards to get your mind off of it. That's what I do, and this show is like a weekly dose of adrenaline. It's a burst of visuals, a looming atmosphere, and the promise of mystery which it delivers. Sure, it ain't Sherlock Holmes, but it ain't tryin' to be. Remember those old crime dramas on radio back when TV wasn't a thing? It's like those, but with some pretty epic animations.

Spoiler for Favourite Moments:

I think plenty happened already.
Old 2012-06-03, 23:39   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Also, that was Ogura Yui as Kayo.
Old 2012-06-03, 23:52   Link #19
Kakkou
Tch.

My favourite parts were definitely the hot spring scenes. Excessively detailed movements aside, it's been a while since I've seen Kyoani's masterful convenient censorship techniques since FMP Fumoffu. The little boy's head in front of the camera and the basin floating by brought to mind scenes of Chidori's important parts being obscured by a leaf, only to be blocked by a metal pole after the leaf moves when the bug sitting on it flies away or when Tessa falls on her butt and a rubber duck conveniently lands where it matters.

Last edited by Kakkou; 2012-06-04 at 03:10. Reason: Doh', I meant Chidori, not Chizuru!
Old 2012-06-04, 00:00   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Anyone can spend enough money and give you flash - this is art. It's in the mold of Shinkai, "more real than real", as if the artists see the Platonic essence of a pine tree, or a ladybug, or a girls's eyes, and show us that.
Closed Thread