AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-01-21, 19:58   Link #301
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Well I want to burn my mkvs into my dvd using this method. The problem is, is there a way to set this up on Vista?
garra113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 12:23   Link #302
Topcat360

Send a message via AIM to Topcat360
I'm using this script on Vista with CCE. I'm able to encode MP4s just fine, but the CCE crashes everytime I try to encode an AVI. Anyone have this issue, or have a clue why it might happen.
Topcat360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 19:39   Link #303
Skimpy

While using quenc, is it possible to turn off "2 pass encoding" or is that a requirment?

If it not, how do I turn it off at the start of the encoding.
Skimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 18:41   Link #304
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I'm willing to try my hand at converting a series to DVD, just because I feel like rewatching it on my TV set. However, this series (which is licensed, and no, I'm not paying for the overpriced American releases, I live in Argentina thankyouverymuch) has been fansubbed and encoded at 832 x 464 pixels (h264/mkv), which has me quite confused. How would I go about converting that? Does the procedure change?

Also, suggestion for tools I can use to re-encode into MPEG-2 under Linux?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 20:04   Link #305
SkyFuser
HijackThis Junior

This is by far the best tutorial I've seen before. Please let this work for HD MKVs *_*
Followed tutorial and experimented with XviD AVI file. It works perfectly, except if someone can clarify some things for me:
1. Why does CCCP not play it? Both Media Player Classic and Zoom Player hang, and original footage from The Matrix scrolls through the bottom half of the screens. The debug log suggests hanging application. But for all other players it works perfectly.
2. I know it comes out at 29fps instead of 23.976, so is it normal for the video to look somewhat jerky on a media player? Mine stops for half a second or so every few seconds.
3. Why am I forced to resize? Doesn't the result end up distorted? Is there anyway to stop AviSynth from Lanczos or any resize method? >_<
Thank you

Last edited by SkyFuser; 2008-04-23 at 00:18. Reason: I must be some kinda idiot... updated questions
SkyFuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 20:23   Link #306
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
...has been fansubbed and encoded at 832 x 464 pixels (h264/mkv), which has me quite confused. How would I go about converting that? Does the procedure change?
832/464=1.793
16/9=1.778
Seems like a good enough chance that the file you have actually had a 16:9 aspect ratio originally but has been encoded at that rather strange resolution, most likely due to cropping and resizing. All you'd have to do will be resize it to 720x480 (NTSC DVD resolution) and then set the 16:9 aspect ratio in the options of the program that you will be using for... mastering the DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Also, suggestion for tools I can use to re-encode into MPEG-2 under Linux?
The obvious choice would be ffmpeg/mencoder I guess, which you probably do know about already. However last time I tried them for MPEG-2 encoding I got somewhat strange looking results. I'm not really aware of anything else since my usage of Linux is rather limited and these sort of things I end up doing on Windows.

P.S. After a fast Google search I got this. Thread where I fished it out from.
Old 2008-04-22, 21:52   Link #307
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The only time I tried to make a normal DVD I followed these instructions for mencoder. Look at the examples in 14.8.5.2 and 14.8.5.4. As I recall the resulting DVD was quite decent. If you read to the end of the discussion that Martino cited, you'll see that the "tovid" script that's discussed uses mplayer and mencoder for the actual conversion tasks.

I'm not certain, but I think in mencoder you can't resize the image in quite the way Martino suggests. Rather you'll need to rescale the video to a compatible 16:9 resolution (704x400 is usually a good choice), then use the "expand" filter (one of the -vf options) to create a 720x480 box and drop the rescaled video into it. Unfortunately I accidentally deleted my set of mencoder scripts a while back, otherwise I'd post the one I used here. (I don't do as much conversion now that I have a computer than can play 720p files in H.264.)

It's too bad you don't have a DVD player with DivX support built in. It's a lot easier to write XviD in AVI and play the files back that way.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 05:06   Link #308
martino
makes no files now

Actually from what I recall mencoder will automatically resize to 720x480 when you specify encoding to MPEG-2 and NTSC and the other resolutions for other formats.
Old 2008-04-23, 17:00   Link #309
SkyFuser
HijackThis Junior

Why though? Is there any way to make it retain original size?
And at 29fps is it going to be jerky on the TV like it is on the computer?
Old 2008-04-23, 17:24   Link #310
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFuser View Post
Why though? Is there any way to make it retain original size?
In order for it to be played back on a DVD player it needs to be of that resolution (PAL has a different one), just like (S)VCD have their own limitations. However if I'm wrong please tell me. In mencoders' case, if you don't specify the dvd, ntsc... damn, actually I can't remember now what the exact switches were which tell mencoder what format it is aimed for, it will resize it based on that since MPEG-2 as it is does not have resolution limitations (maybe something like mod2/mod4 at most).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFuser View Post
And at 29fps is it going to be jerky on the TV like it is on the computer?
You don't have to use 29.97, since NTSC can have a film framerate of 23.976 as well (in which most anime come as). However if you want to put it to 29.97 and the source was 23.976 (film) then you will have to apply 2:3 pulldown (aka telecine).

Hopefully that's all correct, since my knowledge of this is sometimes iffy... mainly when it comes to the more tech-heavy parts.
Old 2008-04-23, 18:26   Link #311
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Most DVD players support 480p24 by default. If the original video was shot at 24 fps (actually 24000/1001), you should preserve that if possible. Using pull-down can introduce things like "motion blur" if the TV and DVD don't agree on which one should convert the frame rates.

In mencoder, by the way, you want to use "-ofps 24000/1001" to set the output frame rate to 24p. Don't use the 23.976 value as that has rounding error. mencoder knows what to do with 24000/1001.

Oh, and on PAL machines the maximum frame size is 720x576; for NTSC (the Americas and Japan), its 720x480. As for why you can't preserve the original size, the answer is simply that it won't fit on a "standard definiition" television (NTSC, PAL, SECAM). When I've given my DivX-compatible SD DVD player a file with a resolution greater than standard DVD sizes, it tells me the format is invalid and refuses to play it.
Old 2008-04-23, 19:39   Link #312
SkyFuser
HijackThis Junior

I see... so that means I'll have to resize... although I don't see why. It's 640x480.
I hate not understanding...
As for the fps thing, how do it change the settings so that it doesn't chnage it to 29fps? Originally I was assuming that the TV will play it fine, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 2008-04-23, 19:46   Link #313
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I see... so that means I'll have to resize... although I don't see why. It's 640x480.
I hate not understanding...
Not if it's 16:9 (read: widescreen), which is the format the majority of anime uses nowadays. In that case, the maximum on an NTSC TV is 720x480. It's a couple of pixels more, but it makes for better resolution.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 22:07   Link #314
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's another problem with 640x480 on SD TVs. If it has hard subtitles, and they are placed low enough in the frame, they'll be cut off on a regular TV set (because of so-called "overscan"). Shrinking the video doesn't solve this problem (at least it didn't for me). You have to add the black bars that NSW describes in the linked post. I believe GHDpro's scripts handle that problem for Windows users. With mencoder on Linux I've used this technique.
Old 2008-04-24, 03:52   Link #315
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There's another problem with 640x480 on SD TVs. If it has hard subtitles, and they are placed low enough in the frame, they'll be cut off on a regular TV set (because of so-called "overscan"). Shrinking the video doesn't solve this problem (at least it didn't for me). You have to add the black bars that NSW describes in the linked post.
LOL! That post brings back memories. sweetbox01 was driving me batty. I felt like telling him to back away from the keyboard because he's not qualified to stand within 10 feet of a computer.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 20:50   Link #316
elfena

I just want to add my .02. If you want to retain as much quality as possible when converting MKV/AVI/h.264/HD to DVD, use HC encoder. I see almost no quality loss, no pixelation, artifacts, etc. but of course the original file will always look better on your computer especially the HD videos. I use the program FAVC to convert my files. It's very easy to use and it has a lot of options and you can choose between HCenc or Quenc. It lets you add a menu and subtitles too. I use the "best" quality option. It takes a long time but it's worth it to me. If you have a super fast computer then it shouldn't take long. I've tried quite a few encoders including CCE and Quenc, and Hcenc is the best for animation. The results are amazing and the DVD's look great on my TV. Both FAVC and HCenc are free.
elfena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 15:30   Link #317
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I had a question about converting, by that meaning from MKV to AVI to burn on DVD
last time i tried to convert a MKV to AVI, well two times i want to discuss.. (this wa sin like 2005 )
1. I was using Virtual Dub to split the subs and film, but afterwards the ripped file of the film got so big that I wasn't even able to complete it..
second time i was using Riverpast i think it was, you could just select your audio stream, video stream and subs and it would change that to an AVI (at that time i was rendering a OGM file) but the quality went to horrible..

I know this is all old talk but I want to get started again with the process of changing MKV -> AVI, i hear a lot of prgram talk going on as well but what of those programs (unlike those i used in the past) is able to keep up with the MKV HD like quality without oversizing the file (like Virtual Dub likes to do) and is easy to use.. no rip audio and video first then paste them together with another program while following a complicated guide to do so
I'm asking this because I don't want to be testing out 5 different programs because of above factors and it is for MKV -> AVI, i know how to make DVD's from that point on

reasonf or asking is because the posted guide on the first page changes the file to NTSC format while I live in Europe where we all play PAL

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-05-04 at 09:54.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 13:14   Link #318
drmr

Hi guys, this is my first attempt and after looking at the batch file (thats automatically created) I noticed it's input file is suppose to be a .m2v file within the Encode folder yet when I execute the batch file the cce encoder creates a .mpv file within the avs folder?
So both the the file type and the destination folder do not match the input for the mplex.exe command line!, anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

thanks in advance.
drmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 16:14   Link #319
guess

Guys, the link to the script and steps on the first post isn't working.
Old 2008-09-22, 10:42   Link #320
TheDA

Hey. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but after encoding using CCE I always get the FATAL ERRORL some file not found or etc. Then it says multiplexing not done and says skipping cleanup due to errors. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? BTW using CCE SP2. The tutorial used CCE SP so I don't know whether SP2 is the problem.

I know the thread is old but can anyone reply thanks.
TheDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file conversion, wiki candidate