AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 151 66.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 17.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 4.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.44%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.75%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-12, 03:06   Link #61
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Is Minorin still pathetic and stuff or did she redeem herself?
Old 2009-02-12, 04:28   Link #62
Tri-ring

I wonder, and I know the staff of JC staff discussed till they turned blue but the last scene where Minori was giving her adios speech to Ryuji which was probably breaking her heart as well, why no tears?
I mean she was sacrifcing her own possibilities for the sake of her best friend's interest and she was truely looking foward towards the possibility of having a romantic relationship with Ryuji or she wouldn't have gone over to Taiga's place to double check Taiga's true feelings.
Was it out of character?
She wasn't strong enough to see Ryuji in the eyes to turn him down meaning something was still holding her back but then why no tears?
Old 2009-02-12, 04:53   Link #63
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Hm, so I guess ToraDora/JC Staff saying "Happy Valentine's Day!"
Old 2009-02-12, 05:40   Link #64
wistfulloner

Sorry folks, I'm still sorting out the emotions after finishing EP19. Will give a detailed review sometime later.

And yes, no more comparisons between the anime and novel please. Both did an equally great job IMO, it's just which medium you can relate to better.
Old 2009-02-12, 05:52   Link #65
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover

Send a message via MSN to Kinku
i really dont write something till i watch the subs but after watchin the raw..i was totally taken back by the whole ep....but dam even though i didnt understand a single word, the whole last part of the eps really made me feel ask out my best friend before valentine day

no offence to Ami at all but i thought tiga look alot better in the black dress while they were singing on stage.
Old 2009-02-12, 06:20   Link #66
Justin Kim
*Artist

Lol subs, need to come out faster>...I kept reading the spoilers, but meh at least now I won't be like WTH TAIGA-_-.
Old 2009-02-12, 06:54   Link #67
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Is Minorin still pathetic and stuff or did she redeem herself?
Former I would say...

That and I don't even know why Minori is like this anymore...simply put she is just torn between her own feelings for Ryuji and wanting to help Taiga or what?
(Still ridiculous the amount of melodrama she is churning out).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-02-12, 07:09   Link #68
wistfulloner

Alright, I've cooled down enough to put some of my thoughts in words:

Spoiler for For unspoiled eyes only:

Overall, one of the best Toradora episodes I've watched. 10/10.

I'm still wondering what the sore feet mean. It should be formed while she wore high heels, but what is it's significance?
Old 2009-02-12, 07:55   Link #69
puppygod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
(...)
I'm still wondering what the sore feet mean. It should be formed while she wore high heels, but what is it's significance?
Dunno. But note that despite all that blisters she was still jumping from joy like crazy, so maybe to underline the "awwww" factor?
Old 2009-02-12, 08:03   Link #70
Led_Zeppelin
Achilles Last Stand

Send a message via MSN to Led_Zeppelin
Quote:
I think is becouse the cold of the outside, Taiga is in barefoot in the outside, and minori is heavy wrapped-up ...
Old 2009-02-12, 08:24   Link #71
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I can feel it's going to be one of the best Toradora episodes ever. Of course, I'm not reading any posts, just saying my piece while waiting for it to be subbed.
Old 2009-02-12, 08:42   Link #72
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Ryuji's action speaks louder than his word. Minorin can see it, so is Ami but Ryuji is pretty oblivious. How ironic.
I dunno if I agree with this. He was pretty much destroyed by Minori's rejection. I'd say those feelings were quite strong and very real.
Old 2009-02-12, 08:48   Link #73
puppygod

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I dunno if I agree with this. He was pretty much destroyed by Minori's rejection. I'd say those feelings were quite strong and very real.
Yes, but one doesn't exclude other. One of main points of the whole story is (in my opinion) exploring different aspects of love and relationships. Just like in real life - it's almost never according to binary logic true/false. You can have feelings for more than one person. And it often leads to somebody being hurt...
Old 2009-02-12, 09:32   Link #74
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Excellent use of a special ED. Kyoto-Animation, watch and learn. If the story demands it, then a special ED is sometimes more appropriate for the mood if your usual ED happens to be awkwardly upbeat.

Anyway, like I said, the turning point of whole story, when Taiga finally realizes her feelings for Ryuji (her feelings for Kitamura not yet settled completely as well), and then to have Minorin see the whole thing, and both end up hurting themselves by trying to shove Ryuji to each other.

Ryuji being the most oblivious of them all ends up in limbo, though subconsciously, he's already made the choice of choosing Taiga over Minorin by choosing to go to Taiga in his Pedo Bear, sorry, Santa Bear suit, so that she wouldn't be alone. Of course, he may try to use Ami's explanation that he's only caring for Taiga like a father, but sooner or later, even this excuse would wear thin, and Ryuji would have to confront this feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
He placed a higher priority to make Taiga happy than the fact that Taiga had set him up a chance to confess to Minorin. Not only did he went to the trouble of playing Santa Bear, but he actually made excuses to reject the chance that Taiga had gave him until Taiga literally booted him out of the apartment. In his heart Taiga is WAY more important than any of the other girls, it's clearly shown in his actions. The only thing he hasn't realised, which Ami clearly sees and pointed out to him (the other reason that Ami's speech last week wasn't about her "wanting another chance" [extremely poor wording on the fansub's part btw], but really showing that she already knew that her opportunity is far gone and the only possible scenario that she could be in the race would've been if she was included in the gang from the beginning, which is of course impossible [no time resets], so she decided to saracfice herself too by helping Taiga/Ryuji/Minorin), is that he is pretending to play father.

Even if Ryuji ends up with Minorin, you can't have a true relationship when Ryuji is going to worry about Taiga being lonely the first thing in his mind. Minorin is quite wise in rejecting Ryuji because while they do like each other, it's clearly shown that Ryuji's true heart is no longer there for Minorin, which you can even see hints of since Taiga's father arc (not to mention they haven't been able to reach the sort of mutual understanding that TaigaXRyuji has).
And that pretty much sums it up.

Poor Ami, she has no chance and she knows it.

And Kitamura? I think he's now content on being the Patron Saint of Broken Hearts, which means Ryuji might need to make an appointment with him soon.

Anyway, this is as far as I've read in the novels, so it's going to be all new territory for me from next week on, but Taiga breaking into tears is definitely the turning point. Now it's all the way to the end, especially now author Takemiya Yuyuko will end the series at volume 10 to coincide with the ending of the anime.

I think it's safe to say Takemiya is a very good writer, if not a great one.

Two thumbs up. I look forward to see how it all ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
ok this may be quite the "WHOA AWESOME!!!" ep but its also got a huge "WTMFH?!" and that comes in the manner of a certain Kitamura

seriously WTMFH?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Yeah so he had the costume *but* forgot the top. Kitamura being.. Kitamura, he decided to simply wear what he had. Hence he is 'nudist Santa'. Really it's pretty damn classic of him to pull something like this, shameless bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
He is just an exhibitionist.
Not only is Kitamura an exhibitionist, he's also a masochist, as can be seen by him seemingly enjoyed getting abused by Haruta as he toys with his suspenders. lol

(In comparison, while Kitamura is a physical masochist, Ryuji is a mental masochist, in that he happily accepts all the abuse thrown to him by Taiga, all because he cares about her. )

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2009-02-12 at 09:49.
Old 2009-02-12, 09:52   Link #75
wistfulloner

I'm in conflict whether Taiga really loves Ryuji romantically. She bursts out of her apartment crying not because she loves him deeply, but rather because she can't bear to leave him and that she'll never be with him if he goes with Minori. At Baka-tsuki Taiga said, "I need Ryuji, in other words I love him." She loves him because of the support he provides for her, and she has depended on him for so long.

Is this what they call "love" in the romantic sort of way? Or is Taiga simply reluctant to let go of someone who has standing by her all this while?
Old 2009-02-12, 09:56   Link #76
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

That's up to speculation at this point. I'd go with the notion she has finally realized her feelings, and they run very deep. Categorizing and labeling those with words like "need", "love", "affection", when these ultimately tend to mean exactly the same is pointless, in my opinion.

She does love him, and that realization will have lots of consequences, I'd wager. I, for one, can't wait for the next episode - and the next translated chapter/volume.

Old 2009-02-12, 11:00   Link #77
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Alright, I've cooled down enough to put some of my thoughts in words:

Spoiler for For unspoiled eyes only:
Shouldn't that be "For spoiled eyes only"? Anyway, good observation about Minori. Why did she do it like that? Maybe the answer is in the coming episodes.

Quote:
Let me take a stab, it's like she's hurting at her base/foundation.
Old 2009-02-12, 11:29   Link #78
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
But before that incident? He pretty much bulldoze his emotions without noticing the subtle hints around him especially Ami.
Old 2009-02-12, 11:37   Link #79
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
But before that incident? He pretty much bulldoze his emotions without noticing the subtle hints around him especially Ami.
Oh, c'mon.

Put yourself in his shoes. He knows how she behaves duplicitly - even if she has changed (a lot), that's still his first impression of her.

Also, she's right: her chances of a relationship with him suffer from not being "in the loop" from the beginning. Not fair, and I wish it wasn't so, but that's how things are. I'm not saying she couldn't have overcome these hurdles, but as things stand now... I don't really believe so, not anymore.

Old 2009-02-12, 11:52   Link #80
SageGaiGar
You are Next

I do have some sympathy for Ami being out of the loop myself more than a few times.
Closed Thread