AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-19, 17:14   Link #2181
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

ORLY? "I AM SHERYL NOME" - If I remember, that's quite a presumptuous thing to have as a motto...

Edit ADD: To the neg-repper still loose in this thread - you don't have any more points, so give it a rest, will ya? It's getting ridiculous already.

Old 2009-08-19, 17:33   Link #2182
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
ORLY? "I AM SHERYL NOME" - If I remember, that's quite a presumptuous thing to have as a motto...
Sheryl only did that like once or twice so it doesn't really matter to me that much. What I have against Sheryl is how arrogant she is when it comes to her surroundings. That is all.
Old 2009-08-19, 18:12   Link #2183
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Sheryl used to say that on every other appearance she had, at the early stages of the series, so... I don't think you were paying attention, after all.

And now, she's arrogant, eh? Quite a trait, very unbecoming of a Mary Sue, no?

Old 2009-08-19, 19:15   Link #2184
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm not the one saying she wasn't, to the point of being labeled a "Mary Sue", dude... as an aside, what an insidiously non-significant little trope, this. No one even agrees on what the heck a Mary Sue really is or isn't...

Old 2009-08-19, 19:25   Link #2185
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Behind every popular vote on this character, there is a reason and a story. >8D
Sheryl just won the hearts of majority, particularly around the late episodes (as well as the first half of the series), where some Ranka fans even converted to the Sheryl camp (Ranka's actions in the same episode range also only reinforced her (Sheryl's) popularity).

ALL HAIL HER MAJESTY!!!
Old 2009-08-19, 19:29   Link #2186
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm a convert, myself.

Old 2009-08-19, 20:21   Link #2187
justavisitor

wait, Sheryl's comment should stay on Sheryl's thread plz...

(Death Header, I am helping you to change the battleground to Sheryl's thread!!! )
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-19, 20:59   Link #2188
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
wait, Sheryl's comment should stay on Sheryl's thread plz...

(Death Header, I am helping you to change the battleground to Sheryl's thread!!! )
Man what the hell...

It looks like there's a complete unbalance of Sheryl compared to Ranka so I thought I'd even the scales a bit. Oh well.

Quote:
1.) What "bullcrap" is being posted? I am sure you can provide examples.
The fact that all we do is bashing Ranka for what she does fits the definition of bullcrap. I thought we went over this like 5-6 times already.
Old 2009-08-19, 21:06   Link #2189
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
The fact that all we do is bashing Ranka for what she does fits the definition of bullcrap. I thought we went over this like 5-6 times already.
No, it fits your definition of "bullcrap", which seems to be different from many others. Not to mention that criticism =/= bashing.
Old 2009-08-19, 21:07   Link #2190
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Man what the hell...

It looks like there's a complete unbalance of Sheryl compared to Ranka so I thought I'd even the scales a bit. Oh well.

Here I thought you understood the purpose of Forums. As Magnuskn Well says it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Quite frankly, I find these constant tries to tell people through the rose to shut up as very unbecoming of a discussion board. People want to discuss about Ranka, and so they do. If there is no interest anymore, then people will stop doing so. Nobody is forcing the people who do not like these discussions to look, so they have no place telling others to shut up for their sakes.
You may consider it "bashing" (some of the older material is) But more of the recent conversations are actually civil and are valid character discussions. Just because you don't like it, is not a reason to tell stop the discussion.

By the Way, Move all the Sheryl discussion to the Sheryl Thread. This obviously isn't the Sheryl thread.
Old 2009-08-19, 22:56   Link #2191
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Myself, it took me episode 6 to realize that there was more depth to Sheryl beyond that diva image. I was then a happy subject of her majesty, defending and protecting her honor.

*Raile relishes being at the palm of her highness' hand* XD
Old 2009-08-19, 22:57   Link #2192
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
For me it was because she can be teeth-meltingly cute and vulnerable (catching butterflies, trying to snuggle with Alto) <i>and</i> be strong-willed and powerful (any time during the Vajra rampage later in the series), all without breaking character. To me, she seemed the more human of the two characters, and that's what drew me to her.

Plus she's hot, has a great wardrobe and her songs ROCK.
Old 2009-08-19, 23:35   Link #2193
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
For me it was because she can be teeth-meltingly cute and vulnerable (catching butterflies, trying to snuggle with Alto) <i>and</i> be strong-willed and powerful (any time during the Vajra rampage later in the series), all without breaking character. To me, she seemed the more human of the two characters, and that's what drew me to her.

Plus she's hot, has a great wardrobe and her songs ROCK.
Why does everything have to be phrased in terms of Sheryl OR Ranka? I love both of 'em.
Old 2009-08-19, 23:41   Link #2194
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Why does everything have to be phrased in terms of Sheryl OR Ranka? I love both of 'em.
Because it's fun.
Old 2009-08-19, 23:50   Link #2195
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
Because it's fun.

For who?

Last edited by Yot-chan; 2009-08-20 at 00:11.
Old 2009-08-20, 04:00   Link #2196
mike_s_6

Quote:
The person who asked the question seemed to be interested in the comparison too, so I think some just replied to it.
Old 2009-08-20, 05:20   Link #2197
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

While discussions and comparisons can be fun, sometimes, I find the levels these have reached in this sub-forum to be way beyond what they should be. Now, even newer posters have it in them to drop in the discussions and complain about whatever, without paying mind to the previous history of the board (not entirely without reason, even if the more recent discussions haven't reached the level of nastiness from the older ones).

And I also find it terribly boring that most people cannot discuss one character without mentioning the other. As if Sheryl wasn't awesome enough all by herself...

Last edited by BetoJR; 2009-08-20 at 06:53. Reason: spellcheck
Old 2009-08-20, 09:19   Link #2198
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Simple. Because she's Sheryl.
Old 2009-08-20, 17:27   Link #2199
4Tran

Quote:
Man what is up with the discussion board here in this thread? It's completely different from Ranka's (I thought I expected more disccusion and not constant praise all round).
Well, you've gotten a lot of response to this comment, but I think that the key difference is that the characters are viewed in very different ways. While Sheryl and Ranka are key characters in the same show, their roles (and their levels of maturity, etc.) are quite different.

Quote:
But that's the problem. I haven't seen a single discussion about Sheryl's character flaw compared to Ranka's. If Sheryl didn't have a character flaw, I could categorize her as a "mary-sueish" type of character, but hey, the people that are in the Sheryl thread might bash me if I start a discussion about this type of thing (and I'll probably be neg-repped too.)
I don't want to get into what Sheryl qualifies as, but I would like to touch upon this a bit. While I'm familiar with the origin of the term "Mary Sue", I'm not sure why people attach so much importance to it. By itself, a character with either no appreciable flaws or an overabundance of abilities can still be interesting and well-conceived (and perhaps even realistic). While characters with flaws have the potential to be more flavorful, this isn't automatically true. I can see how it's easier to just add up the Mary Sueness of a character, it seems awfully lazy to use it as the prime (or even sole) factor in labelling that character poorly written.

Quote:
I sort of agree, I like them both as well. Though I have to admit that I like Sheryl a lot more than Ranka; just as I liked Misa more than Minmay despite liking them both. Ditto for Gamlin over Basara.

Quote:
While discussions and comparisons can be fun, sometimes, I find the levels these have reached in this sub-forum to be way beyond what they should be. Now, even newer posters have it in them to drop in the discussions and complain about whatever, without paying mind to the previous history of the board (not entirely without reason, even if the more recent discussions haven't reached the level of nastiness from the older ones).
Yeah. People really should lighten up a bit - we're just discussing fictional characters here, and not stuff like which fictional mecha will kick the other's butt.

Quote:
And I also find it terribly boring that most people cannot discuss one character without mentioning the other. As if Sheryl wasn't awesome enough all by herself...
Exactly. There should be plenty to discuss about a character without constantly bringing up another character. Heck, I could go on and on just writing about all the different ways Sheryl is my favorite anime character of the last few years.
Old 2009-08-20, 17:42   Link #2200
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Please do. It's always nice to get a fresh perspective.

Closed Thread

Tags
characters