AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 177
091 - 100: Amazing... 1 3.85%
081 - 090: Great... 3 11.54%
071 - 080: Very Good... 6 23.08%
061 - 070: Good... 5 19.23%
051 - 060: Average... 5 19.23%
041 - 050: Below Average... 1 3.85%
031 - 040: Bad... 0 0%
021 - 030: Very Bad... 1 3.85%
011 - 020: Awful... 0 0%
000 - 010: Click here if this is an Iruka episode (j/k; only click if you hate this episode)... 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-09-10, 16:04   Link #21
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
It is Kishi's manga and he must have some control over what is done in anime.
He doesn't at all as far as I know, and many clues seem to confirm that.
That being said, the bias against filler in general is just stupid. The studio may suck at coming up with their own arcs, but they do a pretty good job with stuff releated to canon. This Iruka mini arc may not be the most interesting thing ever, but it's far from being anything bad. If you enjoy the series, there is no reason to avoid it just because it's filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I never understood all that hate towards Naruto. It's not like everyone had lost somebody back then and Naruto never did anything seriously bad during this whole time.
People hated him just because he had a demon sealed within himself. Which may sound stupid, but if you think about how prejudiced and xenophobic people are it is totally plausible.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 16:28   Link #22
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

"Bias against filler is stupid?"

I give you Naruto episodes 136-220.

I rest my case.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 16:36   Link #23
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

The episode was pretty decent, I don't mind these kind of flashbacks when it builds on a relationship and doesn't effect the story.

The general public in Konoha can be easily regarded as the general public in real life...closed minded fools. They hold almost a extreme prejudice for a kid who did nothing wrong.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 18:07   Link #24
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
"Bias against filler is stupid?"

I give you Naruto episodes 136-220.

I rest my case.
If you're gonna reply to me, at least make sure you've read what I said.

Quote:
The studio may suck at coming up with their own arcs, but they do a pretty good job with stuff releated to canon.
Old 2010-09-11, 04:48   Link #25
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
The studio may suck at coming up with their own arcs, but they do a pretty good job with stuff releated to canon.
Remember the pain of Team-Gai vs clones!
I couldn't believe they screwed up so much, when it was clear that Kishimoto gave them such a good chance to make their own bit of story.

Of course in the majority of cases they did a decent job. I think the best was the filler about Jiraiya's life.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 06:11   Link #26
neshru

they didn't really screw anything up, they just didn't do anything with it. And that's not even what I'm talking about.
Old 2010-09-11, 10:27   Link #27
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
I'll never understand why the adults kept the Kyuubi attack secret to their kids. That is not exactly something you can keep secret for long and pretend it never happened. I can slightly understand not saying who were Naruto's parents, but this seems silly when they see everyone treating Naruto like crap and want to know why.

And the anime is better when they just "fill" in Kishi's storyline and keep mostly to canon like they are doing here. It's their filler arcs that give filler a bad reputation. Because they can't resist creating their horrible filer characters, villains, and cliched plots. This mini-arc has been good because it sticks to the canon characters outside of those three mooks. Although we will likely see three filler villains soon, they won't be around for long.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 11:17   Link #28
Sinn
Pwnage

I agree on that canon related fillers, they're usually nice to watch. But imo this episode is kinda boring.
Old 2010-09-11, 13:45   Link #29
iBeast

I don't see the point for fillers. The manga is so far ahead of the Anime right now. As long as there are no japan wee specials where no new chapter gets released, the episodes should keep coming....
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 15:15   Link #30
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeast View Post
I don't see the point for fillers. The manga is so far ahead of the Anime right now.
for the 394568787321th time: NO IT IS NOT.
A gap of 60 chapters means the anime would catch up in less than a year without fillers. And then it would be filler hell all over again.
Old 2010-09-11, 19:17   Link #31
Vorenus
Angsty Newtype

I think that these episodes are great as they show in detail how difficult Naruto's life was before he graduated from the academy... sure it was shown in Part 1 several times in flashback, but these episode show it with more details and give it more impact...

At first, when these fillers came up right after Naruto's "15 minutes of fame", I thought: "oh, he accomplished so much and was so awesome during this arc from A to Z" and they have to show him as stupid and unskilled again... but actually, I find that it emphasises how much he had to overcome and as a result, makes him shine even more...

To come back to this episode, what's weird is why Kakashi never tried to get involved in Naruto's life earlier...
Everybody here knows that Kakashi was Yondaime's best student and it seems unlikely Kakashi did not know about Naruto being his son from the start. As a disciple, it would have made sense for Kakashi to look out after his master's legacy...
It seems to be the most basic form of respect to me in a master/disciple relationship... maybe the 3rd Hokage orders prevented him to do that... until Team 7 would eventually be formed...
Vorenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 13:50   Link #32
Ashaman

Think about it for a moment. Kakashi, the number one student of the forth, raising the Kyuubi kid. Questions will be asked. Unwanted questions.
Old 2010-09-12, 23:49   Link #33
Gizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
for the 394568787321th time: NO IT IS NOT.
A gap of 60 chapters means the anime would catch up in less than a year without fillers. And then it would be filler hell all over again.
technically it would take ~60 weeks, since shippuden only covers about 2 chapters per episode.

but yeah they will probably need a filler arc after this season just to be safe
Gizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 01:58   Link #34
Vorenus
Angsty Newtype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Think about it for a moment. Kakashi, the number one student of the forth, raising the Kyuubi kid. Questions will be asked. Unwanted questions.
What kind of questions? Everyone knows that Naruto has the Kyuubi, what they don't know, for some reason, is that it was the Fourth's son...
Besides, Kakashi never was shown very preoccupied by what others thought of him...

In the end, Iruka takes Naruto under his wing, so why Kakashi could not have done the same, had he really wanted to?

Besides, even when Kakashi could "officially" take care of Naruto once Team 7 was formed, he always seemed much more interested in Sasuke...
I understand that there is the Sharigan-stuff tying them together, but all in all, Sasuke seemed to be a more interesting, promising, and easier-to-teach student than Naruto...

If not for Jiraiya, Naruto would never have reached a decent level: Kakashi only started really recognizing Naruto after he mastered Fuuton Rasen-Shuriken...

In short, I think that it was up to the disciple to look after his master's son, and Kakashi failed in that...
Old 2010-09-13, 02:23   Link #35
james0246

^
Quote:
In short, I think that it was up to the disciple to look after his master's son, and Kakashi failed in that...
No, it was up to the Godfather, Jiraiya, to look after the godson. And Jiraiya failed spectacularly in that regard. There was no real reason for Kakashi to do anything for Naruto (it’s not like Kakashi has been depicted as having a close relationship (beyond student and teacher) with Minato).

Quote:
he always seemed much more interested in Sasuke
That's mostly fanfiction (along with the beatings fans think Naruto received as a child, and Hinata x Naruto (j/k)). Kakashi is a bad teacher, there's no doubt about that (then again, were any of the Genin Instructors good?), but, besides the chuunin exams (in which Kakashi had to watch over Sasuke because of the Curse Seal, possible kidnappings (from Orochimaru and Kabuto), and fighting Gaara as an opponent), Kakashi has treated all of his students equally bad. True, he did compare himself to Sasuke, but he never seemed to disfavor Naruto or Sakura over Sasuke (besides the incident I already explained).

Last edited by james0246; 2010-09-13 at 02:34.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 04:40   Link #36
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
then again, were any of the Genin Instructors good?
Azuma taught Shika how to smoke and he treated the team to lots and lots of BBQ! If that is not a good teacher, then I ask you, what is! Oh and on the serious side, he taught Naruto, who isn't even his student, about wind manipulation, and you know how thick Naruto can be at times...
Quote:
Everyone knows that Naruto has the Kyuubi, what they don't know, for some reason, is that it was the Fourth's son...
It's really weird that nobody gives a shit about the life of the hero who saved the village by sacrificing his life...he was the freakin hokage, expecting a son should have been big news, but no, Naruto is just the devil incarnate :P
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 04:48   Link #37
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizer View Post
but yeah they will probably need a filler arc after this season just to be safe
They'll definitely need more than one filler arc before the end of the series. Unless the next one is 80 episodes long.
Old 2010-09-13, 11:33   Link #38
Sinn
Pwnage

You know what's worse than fillers? A long drag-out arc like that rescue Gaara arc, seriously it's like you cannot unsee it because its canon yet so many unwanted crap going along with it. With fillers, you can just skip right ahead.

As for the Kakashi not caring bout Naruto part, I see him more like he doesn't wanna be involved in it cause it's more of a bother. Remember when Hokage assigned him as Naruto's teacher...yeah he think it's troublesome.

Quote:
It's really weird that nobody gives a shit about the life of the hero who saved the village by sacrificing his life...he was the freakin hokage, expecting a son should have been big news, but no, Naruto is just the devil incarnate :P
Lol now that I think of it, no one apparently gives a shit of what happened to the pregnant Kushina and her child. Well, wtf indeed.
Old 2010-09-13, 11:41   Link #39
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Azuma taught Shika how to smoke and he treated the team to lots and lots of BBQ! If that is not a good teacher, then I ask you, what is! Oh and on the serious side, he taught Naruto, who isn't even his student, about wind manipulation, and you know how thick Naruto can be at times...
He taught Naruto after he had already learned under Jiraiya for 2.5 years. So, it's not like Asuma actually did anything when Naruto was a green shinobi. In fact, besides getting Shikimaru hooked on the substance that will kill him in 20 years (and eternally make his mouth disgusting, not to mention weather his face something awful), Asuma did nothing for his students. They are all Clan shinobi, so every technique they are shown using comes from their parents, not their teacher. So, it is unclear if Asuma ever taught his students anything (save for the experience of working under a "professional" shinobi); and Kurenai is in much the same boat. In fact, looking at it this way, Kakashi was a far better teacher since he actually had the opportunity to pass down some actual techniques to his students, unlike Kurenai and Asuma (Gai would then be the best teacher, with the Legendary Sannin not far behind).

But I digress. This was a decent episode and a little fun. Mostly it was far better than the previous episode...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 15:49   Link #40
Vorenus
Angsty Newtype

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

No, it was up to the Godfather, Jiraiya, to look after the godson. And Jiraiya failed spectacularly in that regard.
Indeed, if both were here, I would agree that it was up to Jiraiya, but Jiraiya was not in the village anymore and he probably did not know how bad Naruto was treated by the villagers...
We can say that he failed, but he considerably made up for it afterwards, and better late than never...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
There was no real reason for Kakashi to do anything for Naruto (it’s not like Kakashi has been depicted as having a close relationship (beyond student and teacher) with Minato).
No real reason, as in "no obligation", I agree, but do you think that if Kakashi had a child all of sudden and died in a mission (and not get revived this time), Naruto and Sakura would do nothing for the child, like never visit him, ensure that he eats well, etc? I thought that honor and respect meant a lot for Ninjas...

Other villagers do have an excuse: they did not know that Naruto was Minato's son: but Kakashi most likely did and the least one of the citizens of Konoha could do for the leader who gave up his life to save the village is to look after his legacy in his stead...

At least Shikamaru completely accepts the fact that he will have to look after Asuma's child, and he will most likely never have it as though as Naruto did... but then again, Shikamaru is most likely one of the characters with the strongest sense of responsability in the series...

At any rate, it did not look like Kakashi had much better things to do when he was in the village, except reading the same novel for the 1000th time...

I just find it funny how many characters claim to have supported Naruto all along, while they all ignored him for so long, and spit him in the face for years... Sakura being pretty high on the list...

At least, Ebisu is the most honest of them all, since he admits he couldn't stand Naruto at first...

Tags
weekly episode discussion