AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-12, 21:19   Link #21
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
As an Otaku who 'goes out to get his own shows' instead of being told what to watch by friends and the media, I would probably have to say... The one that started me on this road would be Shakugan no Shana.
Even though the media showed me these animes and such. I still consider Shakugan no Shana to be my very first actual anime. Since it was by my choice to watch it.
Old 2013-02-12, 21:37   Link #22
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Haruhi ended up my 'first bright punch that it's anime'
Old 2013-02-12, 21:44   Link #23
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Higurashi: When They Cry is what got me into the less mainstream stuff and the first anime I watched from beginning to end. I've caught some dubbed episodes of others on Canadian TV before, but never really devoted any interest into watching all of them.

I always felt that since my first real anime was from the horror genre, it's had a large impact on myself and my tastes in entertainment.
Old 2013-02-12, 21:51   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've been in and out of anime over the years. In the 1960s, I watched Speed Racer, Astroboy, Gigantor, live-action Ultraman. I was just barely aware they were something called "japanimation". After that was a long dark period. In the 1980s, anime just looked annoying to me - lots of shouting, explosions, and occasional boobage. Most of what I was seeing was "anime for young boys" and it didn't appeal to me.

There was a short period in the 90s when my sons were Pokemon freaks. That's when I became aware that we weren't necessarily getting a correct picture from the dubs/edited shows Americans got (always wondered why Misty and Ash just seemed static as a not-couple and why they kept calling mochi "donuts").

It wasn't until 2000, I started getting a clue that there was a whole raft of anime that was flying under my radar: romance, drama, comedy, daily life, etc. Reading Megatokyo and the author's blog - got me interested enough to figure out how to download Love Hina ... and I was hooked. That series doesn't hold up well and now I've read the manga but my interest spiraled across a number of genre to what it is today. I still don't care much for "bang, boom, and shouts" but there is a whole mess of other stuff out there.
Old 2013-02-12, 23:20   Link #25
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I watched Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Cardcaptor Sakura, Rurouni Kenshin, Pokemon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, and Spirited Away without knowing that they were anime. I also vaguely recall watching the last episodes of Gundam Wing with my brother.

With the exception of Cardcaptor Sakura (rewatched in Japanese), Spirited Away (still own the DVD), and Pokemon (the movies), I don't really recall what happened in these. This was when I was a kid and still watched TV, so all of these were English dubbed versions aired on Cartoon Network. I would watch a few episodes after school and get excited even though I didn't know what was happening.

The first anime I was actively aware of was Full Moon o Sagashite. Looking back on it, there were a lot of flaws. The original fancy art didn't transition well to animation, there were some filler episodes, and the anime's plot was different than the manga's. That didn't stop me from bawling my eyes out during emotional parts and loving it as a whole. To this day, Changin My Life's song "Love Chronicle" still holds a dear place in my heart because it played during an impactful moment.
Old 2013-02-12, 23:22   Link #26
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We are each likely dating ourselves via when we started.
Old 2013-02-13, 00:28   Link #27
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
For my teenage years, I also watched AXN. My personal favorite was GateKeepers. Other channels include WOWOW for Girls Bravo, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Jing: The King of Bandits and other foreign channels for Sakaino and Dennō Bōkenki Webdiver.
Ahh, the stage of AXN and NHK BS2.

Aside from Gatekeepers, I watched Fushigi Yuugi, Now and Then, Here and There, Ah! My Goddess, Alien Nine, Boys Be..., Cooking Master Boy, Dual!, Edens Bowy, El Hazard, Galaxy Angels, NieA_7, Ranma 1/2, Gensoumaden Saiyuki, Sakura Wars, Strange Dawn, The Legend of Black Heaven and Your Under Arrest from AXN. Hell, these choices by AXN were the best ones I've seen before Hero TV began. (Yeah, Animax is completely inferior.) I also remember seeing Grander Musashi RV among AXN's anime broadcasts, but I never got to watch it.

It was on BS2 when I first discovered Saiunkoku Monogatari. It was "love at first sight" in a way.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 00:37   Link #28
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

*facepalm*

Gatekeeper, of course! How did I forget that...

Oh yeah, as a little side note... My first full uncensored nudity ecchi gateway Anime was this little show called Green Green... Girls Bravo was the second.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 00:43   Link #29
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The first anime I watched was either Pokemon, DBZ, or Sailor Moon. The first anime I watched knowing it was anime was either Inuyasha, Naruto, or s-CRY-ed. The first series that I started watching when I learned how to Internet was either Strawberry Panic!, Code Geass, or Lucky Star.

Cardcaptor Sakura was also my introduction to all things moe'. It shows in my namesake and though it's fallen from grace for me I still hold a tremendous amount of respect for the show because I couldn't have asked for a better getway into the cuter side of anime (I used to watch action shows almost exclusively. Can you believe that?).
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 09:04   Link #30
Shyni

I don't really think I ever had any actual gateway, so to speak. I watched some amount of subpar Asian dubs of anime in my early childhood, although I can't remember what my interest level was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFromMarple View Post
At that time there were a lots cartoons the were written in European countries (mostly France) & animated in Japan. I'm never sure if they count as Anime or not.
I don't think those really count as anime, since outsourcing animation to other countries happens a lot. People still consider The Simpsons an American series despite a lot of animation being done in Korea.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 19:15   Link #31
RichardFromMarple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
I don't really think I ever had any actual gateway, so to speak. I watched some amount of subpar Asian dubs of anime in my early childhood, although I can't remember what my interest level was.

I don't think those really count as anime, since outsourcing animation to other countries happens a lot. People still consider The Simpsons an American series despite a lot of animation being done in Korea.
That's true, though a lot did have an "anime-ish" look to them.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 02:46   Link #32
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

In the 1980's and early 1990's, shows like Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z and several others went by me without knowing they were anime.

In the late 1990's, Pokemon was all the rage, and was the first show that made me aware that it was an anime. However, given the limited exposure of anime on TV here, it also made me believe ALL anime was like that and I refused to give any other anime a fighting chance.

Almost a decade later (late 2000's), someone introduced me to Ojamajo Doremi. I got instantly hooked and started looking for more. I found shows like Shana, Nanoha, and several others, before starting my real anime journey with K-ON!, at which point I started following anime seasonally.

So, depending on what you define as 'gateway show', either Doremi or K-ON! got me where I am today.
Old 2013-02-14, 03:58   Link #33
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Ouran High School Host Club, and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (both star a "Haruhi" eh?). Of course, 2006 was a very good year for anime, a lot of shows to draw one in. It's not as fruitful these days, still good shows do come.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 04:37   Link #34
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Sailormoon, I was like a big, die hard fan of it.... humming the OP song at my spare time... I was like 8 years old back then.... So that's is why I'm glad she's back....

Mamoru x Usagi FOREVER... Seiya, get out you b@#$h!!!

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-02-14 at 06:03.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 05:54   Link #35
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Dragon fucking ball Z!
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 06:02   Link #36
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

shows that got into anime would be Dragon Ball Z,then started Naruto and there i am a anime fan now,however i also watched Pokemon,Beyblade,Bakugan Battle Brawlers before that but i wouldn't consider them gateway shows,

and there were also shows that i watched when i was a kid, and many years later found out that it was actually an anime, like Kaitetsu Zorro and Cinderella
Old 2013-02-14, 23:15   Link #37
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I can give you one from every genre. lmao

Gateway Magical Girl: Sailormoon
Gateway Rom-com: Ranma1/2
Gateway Shounen: DBZ/Yu Yu Hakusho
Gateway Harem: Tenchi Muyo!
Gateway Mecha: Gundam Wing
Gateway Sci-Fi: Outlaw Star/Battle Angel
Gateway Horror: Devil Hunter Youko/Vampire Princess Miyuu
Gateway Fantasy: Record of Lodoss War/Magic Knights Rayearth

........I was a Toonami freak. What I couldn't get from TV, I rented from Hollywood Videos. Can you tell?

Gateway Hentai: Uratsukudoji ugh....
Old 2013-02-15, 00:14   Link #38
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

My intro was likely Voltron, though I had no idea it was "anime" due to how young I was (preschool age).

The actual anime that I knew was anime (even if it technically isn't), that got me started on the long road towards devouring hundreds of series since, was Robotech.

It gets way too much bad rap from western anime fans, many who pretend it was the worst thing ever, but as someone who lived (and loved) it when it came out, I liken it to how when FF 7 came out JRPG fans were in love, but now many won't dare admit that they enjoyed that game. Listening to youngsters these days ape old arguments concerning Robotech, while pretending they were even on their parent's radar of conception at the time it came out, is always amusing.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 19:15   Link #39
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I never got into anime until I watched Lucky Star back in 2008 or sometime before that. It got me into most of the KyoAni shows that were out (Haruhi, Clannad, Kanon 2006, etc.).

I did watch a ton of shows off Toonami way before Lucky Star, but I don't count that since I didn't know of the term "anime."
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 11:54   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

TV used to air a lot of anime back in the 90s, I was introduced to anime through Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and City Hunter among others. The one I was the most into was Dragon Ball. Never had the means to truly get into anime until I got the internet -in between I watched Gundam Wing and Escaflowne-, which was in 2004. City Hunter is what brought me back into it. After rewatching it, I felt the urge to rewatch other works and eventually became interested in the anime world in general.

The first recent anime I watched was Naruto, I think.