AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-30, 00:04   Link #1641
akim36

Send a message via AIM to akim36 Send a message via Yahoo to akim36
does anybody know where this illustration is from?
akim36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 00:06   Link #1642
sky black swordman

^ I think that just a fan drawing.
Old 2012-07-30, 00:15   Link #1643
zero7090

Kirito is inside a death game. He will die when his hp reach zero. That makes the reader worry about the destiny of the protagonist. I, myself experienced great thrilling reading the Cradil part. However if i already know Kirito will survive till the end such enjoyment would vanish. No matter what, even in the direst situation, i simply know that he, Asuna will still survive.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 04:37   Link #1644
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Kirito is inside a death game. He will die when his hp reach zero. That makes the reader worry about the destiny of the protagonist. I, myself experienced great thrilling reading the Cradil part. However if i already know Kirito will survive till the end such enjoyment would vanish. No matter what, even in the direst situation, i simply know that he, Asuna will still survive.
Well, he is the MC and MCs usually don't die except maybe in the final volume.
By the same reasons, we all know the villain will usually lose, but it is still entertaining.

In most books the journey to the end is what fascinates readers, it wouldn't have any readers if the author summarizes only the beginning and ending

Harry Potter example:
First year, Harry defeats Voldemort.
Second Year, Harry defeats Voldemort.
Third Year, Harry meets Sirius.
Fourth Year, Voldemort revives.
etc
Old 2012-07-30, 05:51   Link #1645
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
^ I think that just a fan drawing.
Correct, it's a fan art by abec, the illustrator of the L/Ns.

Anyway, comparisons being drawn between.. Harry Potter and SAO? Wow.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 18:18   Link #1646
Ghanw
(-_-)

After reading volume 1-9 for some reason i keep thinking about how this arc would end
Spoiler for Some what a spoiler, mostly not:

Last edited by Ghanw; 2012-07-30 at 20:42.
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 22:21   Link #1647
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
So I blitzed through the SAO and ALO novels last night with a degree of literary celerity rarely scene around my parts. I now have a bad feeling that I have set the bar too high for the Anime
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 22:51   Link #1648
larethian

^ I can tell you the first 2 chapters of v10 were plain boring. I understand the importance of the 80% (or more) dialogue, but I wished it were done more artfully and spread out.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 22:59   Link #1649
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
^ I can tell you the first 2 chapters of v10 were plain boring. I understand the importance of the 80% (or more) dialogue, but I wished it were done more artfully and spread out.
But Dialogue is what makes SAO move forward. Heck most of Vol 1 was Kirito Monologues LOL.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:07   Link #1650
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
But Dialogue is what makes SAO move forward. Heck most of Vol 1 was Kirito Monologues LOL.
It's different. Tell me again after you read that 100 over pages of talking between a few people in the same room.
Old 2012-07-31, 00:20   Link #1651
kyp275
Meh

Those were pretty important expositions that you can't really get around of, and personally I didn't find it boring :P
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:39   Link #1652
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Personally, I found the 1st chapter of Vol10 better than the rest of the volume Though it might just be me liking the politics and backstory.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:44   Link #1653
tomtkp

Again, this is the matter of personal taste. There are some readers like larethian who don't like long explanation and "dialogues between few people in a small room" crammed in 100 pages or so. But there are others like me who enjoyed it because yeah, for me, I found the settings very interesting and I really liked the complexity of the story. Not too complex but complex enough to say.
Old 2012-07-31, 01:18   Link #1654
larethian

^ As you said. But then again, I do like back-stories and I've read stuff with more complex and detailed settings (where the author also knows what he's talking about) which I find better presented to fit my taste. But what really turned me off somewhat was...... well I won't go into details since I know I will get shot down, so I'll keep my peace. That's why I never really post in SAO and AW threads. Fortunately, it didn't go on for an entire volume. I think, getting too educated and informed about AI and quantum physics is hampering my enjoyment on the setting portions of the story (for the later, it has the opposite effect for me for Mahouka, enhancing my enjoyment instead ).
Old 2012-07-31, 01:48   Link #1655
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I think, getting too educated and informed about AI and quantum physics is hampering my enjoyment on the setting portions of the story (for the later, it has the opposite effect for me for Mahouka, enhancing my enjoyment instead ).
Heh, I know what you're talking about, but you just have to try to block it out. It's the same for me when it comes to military/action flicks, where I can go on all day about how this or that isn't really possible, or is over/under exaggerated etc. For example, most Gundam shows annoys me to no end with their sorry excuse of what is supposed to be strategy and tactics.
Old 2012-07-31, 01:48   Link #1656
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by akim36 View Post
does anybody know where this illustration is from?
Dengeki Bunko Vol. 15 it would appear:
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/34/ca6ee8b3.jpg
Old 2012-07-31, 05:56   Link #1657
tomtkp

Quote:
^ As you said. But then again, I do like back-stories and I've read stuff with more complex and detailed settings (where the author also knows what he's talking about) which I find better presented to fit my taste. But what really turned me off somewhat was...... well I won't go into details since I know I will get shot down, so I'll keep my peace. That's why I never really post in SAO and AW threads. Fortunately, it didn't go on for an entire volume. I think, getting too educated and informed about AI and quantum physics is hampering my enjoyment on the setting portions of the story (for the later, it has the opposite effect for me for Mahouka, enhancing my enjoyment instead ).
It depends. I think it's not complexity that attracts me the most. It's whether the settings interest me or not. Whether the settings are more complex or more realistic is not a concern to me. I like the soul/fluctuating light setting in SAO, that's why I love (yes, love) Alicization arc so much. Adding to the fact that I have read the web version of Alicization to the end, I knew that Alicization is not all about settings.
Old 2012-07-31, 12:56   Link #1658
shinobu-chan
Heart-under-Blade

I know it's wrong to ask but..

For chapter 16.5, I never really understood what Asuna meant by saying "I've never had anything like that... happen until now..."

Anyone care to explain? I was just really confused by this phrase.
shinobu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 12:59   Link #1659
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobu-chan View Post
I know it's wrong to ask but..

For chapter 16.5, I never really understood what Asuna meant by saying "I've never had anything like that... happen until now..."

Anyone care to explain? I was just really confused by this phrase.
She was obviously very impressed and satisfied by Kirito's "Elucidator"

on a serious note, it's supposed to be just a doujin written by some random guy, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 2012-07-31, 13:01   Link #1660
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
She was obviously very impressed and satisfied by Kirito's "Elucidator"

on a serious note, it's supposed to be just a doujin written by some random guy, I wouldn't worry about it.
I thought it was the other R-18 fanfics that were written by "random" guys? s:
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality