AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-15, 04:53   Link #81
Eratas123

Just don't imagine Asuna as a dude
Old 2012-07-15, 04:53   Link #82
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
ROLFMAO!!! Kiriko I guess the closest image I get would be him from the GGO arc. I don't know about the "mad inventor girl" thing. It just doesn't seem Kirito(ko)-like to me. But why do I get this strange feeling Kiriko would be a tsundere?...
I think Kiriko might be more of a Kuudere- low key, generally quiet spoken, calm mannered (it'll take alot to fluster her-
Spoiler for RNR Spoiler:
)

Actually, the "mad inventor girl" was just an approximation. Replace mad with simply "inventor girl", one of those girls in anime who has a reputation for producing gadgets, gizmos and invention (think Rika from Hagani or Mayoi from Acchi Kocchi) . A tinkerer.

But yes, Kirito's GGO pictures come to mind. Tall and slender, quite a cool beauty- a tall, dark and Bishoujo Inventor/Tinkerer Kuudere.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 05:18   Link #83
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I think Kiriko might be more of a Kuudere- low key, generally quiet spoken, calm mannered (it'll take alot to fluster her-
Spoiler for RNR Spoiler:
)

Actually, the "mad inventor girl" was just an approximation. Replace mad with simply "inventor girl", one of those girls in anime who has a reputation for producing gadgets, gizmos and invention (think Rika from Hagani or Mayoi from Acchi Kocchi) . A tinkerer.

But yes, Kirito's GGO pictures come to mind. Tall and slender, quite a cool beauty- a tall, dark and Bishoujo Inventor/Tinkerer Kuudere.
Well I just remembered his tsundere moment when Klein asked him if he liked Asuna in the first volume and he was like "It's not like that!"
Old 2012-07-15, 07:37   Link #84
Raviel

I find it funny that its only been two episodes and people already want genderbended Kirito
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 07:45   Link #85
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
I find it funny that its only been two episodes and people already want genderbended Kirito
Well, we are talking about from the LN perspective. I think I hid most of my proposal under spoilers because of that. It actually isn't as silly as it seems- assuming everyone elses gender (well, maybe Asuna's brother is trapped) is kept the same, genderbent Kirito would be a very interesting story, since the dynamics are different.

Spoiler for LN perspective:
Old 2012-07-15, 07:47   Link #86
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

The author did a partial version It was gonna happen sooner or later.

On further reflection, I have decided i will not waste my time with responding to Randomzx. He's obviously so much cleverer than I am, despite his utter lack of ability to debate coherently, or to even spell and use proper grammar.

I have better things to do with my time.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:40   Link #87
Deltaray

Looking more forward to episode 4 than 3 actually just to see if they keep this:

Spoiler for episode 4 spoiler:
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:44   Link #88
Sixth
Hu Tao

Every time I read "Asuna", I keep remembering the idiot Negi and Asuna. Good thing that Kirito is man or decisive enough to snatch whatever he wants.

Also, why is Kirito LvL so high?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:51   Link #89
novalysis

Negi an idiot? HERESY!

As for the other question: Short answer, he's the MC. Slightly longer answer-
Spoiler for Not yet revealed:
Old 2012-07-15, 13:03   Link #90
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Also, why is Kirito LvL so high?
Well, he's a gamer freak (remember he applied for beta tester) and all gamer freaks are very competitive. They (we) want to be the best, highest leveled, and better equipped than everybody else. Also, he is driven (like Asuna) to finish the death game.

Anyway, GENDER-BENDER KIRITO? Please no. It's bad enough he's being accused of Gary Stu, now people want a gender-bender as well? WTF. Are we going to have a YAOI as well?

Let him be!
Old 2012-07-15, 13:39   Link #91
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Looking more forward to episode 4 than 3 actually just to see if they keep this:

Spoiler for episode 4 spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by blakstealth; 2012-07-15 at 14:25.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 14:05   Link #92
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
[spoiler]Level 78 in just a couple of eps? Good lord what :0
Spoiler for spoiler again:
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 14:26   Link #93
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Spoiler for spoiler again:
Spoiler:
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 15:08   Link #94
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Level:

You know, Asuna is in some ways even more incredible then Kirito. After all, she was a complete novice at this sort of thing when she started and ended up being one of the top players in the game.

Question I'm curious about is: What would everyone say Kirito's general character arc is? The one in SAO I think is rather evident, but what about the later stories? I know general events, but not specifics and am just starting the 3rd novel. Finding his place in the real world? Something like that?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 18:48   Link #95
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Spoiler for Level:

You know, Asuna is in some ways even more incredible then Kirito. After all, she was a complete novice at this sort of thing when she started and ended up being one of the top players in the game.

Question I'm curious about is: What would everyone say Kirito's general character arc is? The one in SAO I think is rather evident, but what about the later stories? I know general events, but not specifics and am just starting the 3rd novel. Finding his place in the real world? Something like that?
Spoiler for 3rd Volume:
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 19:10   Link #96
DurararaFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomzx View Post
As from one poster:

My only real problem is that Kirito isn't just a Gary Stu, he's a Gary Stu that wins and exceeds by such a ridiculous margin that it doesn't even make sense in universe.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Its more like you people still don't understand what a Gary Stu/Mary Sue is.
You guys are basing your idea that because Kirito is not perfect, he's not a Gary Stu.
The Mary sue concept is not just simple as you guys make it out to be, and you seems to be also basing them on popular misconception.
Often harcore 'edgy' character or 'gangster' characters can just as easily be qualified.

As I said before people conveniently ignored that a Gary Stu's role and abilities have such cancerous focus/grip on the story that it harms it to a huge degree. Pretty much All of his 'mistakes' and 'drama' in his 'backstory' are more due to other people's fault and are typical mary sueish melodramatic 'tragedy'.

http://ppc.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Sue
http://www.answers.com/topic/mary-sue-1
http://fanlore.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Stu
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue
Quote:
I bet you still haven't done any research on what Mary Sue is really about or even checked out my links. I seriously think its your fan boy reaction that prevent you guys from seeing what Kirito truly is and chose ignore moments of that case and cherry pick details and as 'evidence'that Kirito is not a sue.
A Mary Sue is not required to be flawless, see for example
http://ppc.wikia.com/wiki/Drizzt_do%27Urden

Spoiler:

From one source:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Seriously, in most of the forums and discussion I heard, its a general consensus that Kirito is a Gary Stu. Its your fanboy vision and tendency to hold onto minor justifying details that doesn't allow you to see Kirito that way.
I read your links. First thing they mention is the character being female (he isn't), going through most of his trails with minimal effort (he does not), he makes canon character behave out of characters (he's the main character, he is canon), as for your own complaints.
Spoiler for Volume 1:
Spoiler for Volume 4:

He's so good he gets the best gear. He does not. Asuna, Cradil, just about everyone uses better gear then him. He has no helmet, he has no armor, he has Light Leather gear and invests everything in swords. So yeah, his swords are gonna be good, even then it's mentioned that one of them is far weaker then what he could have at this point. So that's completely untrue. He's not rich. In or out of the game. Again, Asuna, Agil, Lizbeth have a better houses then him in game, both Klein and Agil have better careers then him RL, Asuna is richer then him in RL and so on.

Spoiler for Phantom Bullet:

You say that nearly all his mistakes are someone else's fault or some melodramatic tragedy.

No. He chose to puss out on kendo and hide himself in videogames while sticking his sister with the duty. He ran out on Klein, straight up, he lies about his true level and hides information about the dunguon they are in from the guilt he's in, OBVIOUSLY these are his own mistakes, and screwed people over as a consequence.

He is flocked by goodlooking girls. 1. one is his sister, it is not a coincidence that he comes across her or manages to get a foot in the door as opposed to other MMOers, they LIVE together, 2. Lizbeth is specifically described to be not all that attractive she does not have Asuna idolstatus in the least, 3. Yui isn't hot either, or in love with him. 4. Silica is not described as hot either, just cute as in, youngest person in SAO pretty much. Asuna and Sinnon's avatar are hot that's all.

And what, a main character can't score with ONE hot girl in a story anymore? What stories do you like seriously, I'll bet someone scores with a hot girl in one of them. Maybe even in several. I'll even bet that your hero is REALLY good at what he does. His party is the top tier and always gets the best equipment WHEN? It is never ever mentioned that Asuna, Lyfa, Agil or Klein's equipment are the best of the best or anywhere near that. Sinnon lucks into a great sniperrifle which is the main reason she is high in the rankings and ends up mattering in first place
Spoiler for Volume 8:
That's barely a trend.

Asuna, Klein, Kirito and Agil are in the clearer parties. They are not in anyway alone. In both SAO and ALO it is made clear that there many others. It is mentioned in Novel 7 that he has long since been surpassed by many others. Also is being suicidal a great waifu trait, or being firmly under the dump of your disapproving mother?

Spoiler for Volume 1-8:

Also yeah,
Spoiler for Mother's Rosario:

So among the ten thousand that get trapped in SAO he is counted among the few thousand that dare to risk their lives to win, and is among the few hundred of those that survive, the 1 in ten that were betatesters for this game before and was already an MMO lover before this and because of his insecurities he fights alone and doesn;t share his experience with people. As a result of these advantages he rises to level that few others obtain and plays the part of the hero in the 1 on 1 fight against the villain. The story mysteriously decides to focus on him rather then some guy grinding for ore for two years. I wonder why. Also he gets the girl after saving her.

Is this really, really such an incredibly bad thing?

Now I'll admit.
Spoiler for Phantom Bullet:
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 22:30   Link #97
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
Spoiler for 3rd Volume:
Spoiler for ":

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 22:34   Link #98
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Just don't imagine Asuna as a dude
why Asuna would make a hot bishounen!

Chiibi's two cents:

Kirito's awesome with a very cute shy side and he's intelligent and cunning too.
And DAT VOICE.

*love*

Quote:
When we get weak protagonists, he is condemned as a waste of space, oxygen and ink.

When we get competent protagonist, he is condemned as a Gary Stu.
Don't even get me started on people who do this...
I've done my research on Mary Sues and they're essentially this type of character:

*someone everybody loves
*someone who doesn't have any "real" flaws
*someone who has all the answers
*someone who is outrageously skilled and "special" and unique in the universe of the series
*someone who gets everything handed to them on a silver platter without working hard
*someone who is basically an author-self-insertion character.

Most creators of anime and manga don't create characters like this
because they're not that stupid.
So they are hard to find. Only two of them come to mind at the moment: Uchiha Sasuke (Naruto) and Kumashiro Sakuya (Shin-Tenchi Muyo)....and they obviously have a TON of haters, no?

We're two episodes in and Kirito doesn't seem to have ANY of the Sue characteristics. If he was a Sue, he'd be owning everyone/thing left and right and he'd been able to predict the boss's every move or solve everyone's problems or stop everyone from dying-everyone would make him their leader as well-THOSE things are what Sues do.

Kirito's not a Sue. =_=

If people are still going to argue about him, HERE'S a way to settle things:
http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

TAKE IT FOR HIM. lol

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-07-15 at 23:45.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:04   Link #99
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Spoiler for Kiritos reward for hard work...:
Old 2012-07-16, 01:03   Link #100
Eratas123

Anybody here read the side story "There is but one ultimate way"?

Tags
characters