AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

Old 2007-02-27, 15:24   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kaede Fuyou related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Shuffle! fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff, this is Kaede's thread.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!
    All spoilers are allowed but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a title (see example). Failure to do this can result in a ban.
    [spoiler]Contents of the spoiler[/spoiler]
    The above is the basic spoiler tag but it helps a lot if you include a title in the spoiler tag so people will have some idea if they should or shouldn't open it!
    To do this, all you need add is an equal sign "=" after the word "spoiler" and then type an appropriate title.

For example, if you wanted to mention something from "Episode 2" of the first anime series, then type this...
    [spoiler=Series 1, Episode 2]...[/spoiler]
    Spoiler for Series 1, Episode 2:

Last edited by xris; 2007-02-27 at 18:47.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 19:37   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Saying what you enjoy about a character isn't "campaigning". I'm pretty sure they were referring to things like 2" blinking fonts and name-chanting. Shouting down different opinions can be considered campaigning (if someone who wasn't happy with Kaede's story wants to discuss it for example and a Kaede-tard tries to wreck the discussion). A Kaede-tard would be a zealot with whom it is impossible to have a sentient conversation. I love the Kaede character... but because I'm unhappy with certain aspects of the story execution and resolution and am more unhappy with the writers than with Asa herself ... a Kaede-tard would shout me down as a heretic instead of discussing the ideas.

"Have fun but post intelligently" is a basic rule anywhere in the forum (though not enforced consistently). Anyone can say an X-tard thing accidently, the difference is in how you respond to some light being shown on it.

One line dittos tend to be nonsense. Discussing how Kaede managed to inflict revenge on Rin based on what he told her happened -- tends to be not-nonsense. The judgement calls are always going to be opinions .. but then that's always been the case in any forum that is actually moderated.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-03-04 at 19:49.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 15:53   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

None of that is campaigning. You're making an assertion, and then supporting it with cites or references. Someone might respond with countercites or dispute your reasons with information of their own. Discussion and debate were not banned, just space wasting noise -- examples of what campaigning is were provided in the stickies months ago.

Blinking fonts are intrusive, annoying and so 1992. They are considered [blink]annoying[/blink] in almost any venue, just like posting entire posts in BOLD. Think of that guy in the tabletop area in the back of the hobby shop, ranting in a loud monotonic voice that about the interpretation of an obscure rule that a quick die roll would solve.

The emoticons, used sparingly, actually help to replace the missing facial expressions. That line isn't so bad but one emotey expresses it equally well.

I'm starting to get the impression you're intentionally ignoring the nuances to be grumpy rather than being interested in discussing Kaede and her story. Unfortunately, that somewhat casts the light that almost everything that can be said about any of these characters has been said so other than discussing it with the occasional new viewer there's not much left new to uncover about this show.
Old 2007-03-05, 18:58   Link #4
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
taken from my thoughts on kaede's recap about her mental breakdown in ep 7 of memories ~
Quote:
Spoiler:
heres something to start off with

ps...rin is a jerk!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 16:54   Link #5
stoneheart92

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
taken from my thoughts on kaede's recap about her mental breakdown in ep 7 of memories ~

heres something to start off with

ps...rin is a jerk!
i dont like Rin... not a useful man, cant do anything why does he still have the priviledge to choose between 4 girls. i'm with you deathkillz !!!!

Spoiler:

thx for your time^^. nothing is 100% if anyone have a different point of view plz let me know it would be a pleasure ^^

Last edited by stoneheart92; 2007-03-09 at 17:06.
stoneheart92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 11:17   Link #6
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Send a message via AIM to Meiaminkbell
Ok...I know I'm going to get flamed for this.

As I watched Shuffle! (have yet to see Memories), I knew right away what was going to be involved with Kaede...least I thought I did. The childhood friend, the one who cares for him, the initial spark of love interest in the entire show starts from her so suffice it to say that she is, in most harem anime cases, the one who the main character chooses.

Let's just say the ending came as a complete surprise to me.

Did I enjoy Shuffle!? Very much so. All the characters were very 3-dimensional and I see it having trouble working with fewer characters.

Spoiler:

Now let me here what you all have to say.
Meiaminkbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 12:36   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Nice read! Anyone who flames you, will do so because s/he loved Kaede's character for the wrong reason. Without Kaede, and her various flaws that are demonstrated so powerfully, her character would have been incredibly boring. In fact, she was boring through out the series until those couple of episodes that gave the entire show a completely new outlook. She brought spice and variety. In the couple of episodes she starred, everything about this show was exciting, and heart wrenching. Those episodes put the audience of this show in a dillema, made them hope for something different, let them anticipate for a superb finish that are hardly ever seen in anime. Her character resonated with so many audience because of her various traits in her personality and her multi-dimensional psychological state. Her character stood out in a show that has, otherwise, done nothing different than a typical harem genre.

I love her character, but I'm not naive enough to flame anyone for stating the exact reason for why I love her character.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 13:16   Link #8
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Very well put. I can't imagine how much different Shuffle! would be without Kaede in it. All of the characters had their own personal problems they had to deal with, but above them all (with the exception of Asa [and even then I don't think so]), Kaede's was perhaps the saddest to watch.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-12, 16:01   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm only up to volume 6 of the manga so the babbling below may prove inaccurate later but....

The manga version of Kaede that is being played out is (imo) less dynamic than the anime version mostly because Kaede sees that the green competition *doesn't* share whereas the red&blue competition are all about sharing and have made that clear since they arrived.

The manga (so far) really hasn't put Kaede in the totally trapped and drifting position that the anime did. This is both a win and a loss as far as the manga goes because in the manga we might not see the initially excellent drama we got in the anime but otoh we also won't have to endure the unsatisfying resolution of the drama in the anime.
Old 2007-03-12, 17:54   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The manga (so far) really hasn't put Kaede in the totally trapped and drifting position that the anime did. This is both a win and a loss as far as the manga goes because in the manga we might not see the initially excellent drama we got in the anime but otoh we also won't have to endure the unsatisfying resolution of the drama in the anime.
Well, that's what brings the manga more in-line with the game in that sense, seeing as the "excellent drama" was largely an anime construction. Personally, I liked Kaede's character better in the game and in the manga (where she doesn't "go psycho"), but I realize that I'm in a tiny minority there.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 18:47   Link #11
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Being unable to understand Japanese yet, I won't be able to buy the game for sometime. As far as the manga goes, is it out yet?
Old 2007-03-13, 02:02   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm ambiguous on which is the 'better' Kaede (anime or manga). In general, I'm enjoying the manga more simply because the characters just seem to have personality continuity and the stories have more elbow room.

The manga is being released in Japan (volumes 1-6 so far) - its called Shuffle! -Days in the Bloom-.

There's also a Shuffle! series by Kadokawa Comics A which is a collection of short stories done by different manga artists: Shuffle!Comic ala Carte. There are 5 volumes and I *think* that one is complete. I actually find it more entertaining to see how different artists draw the characters.

You can find the main series by searching on "Shuffle! Days in the Bloom" at amazon.co.jp ...
The ala carte series is a bit tougher: "SHUFFLE! コミックアラカルト" will get it.

There's also a light novel series, but thats beyond me for now...
Old 2007-03-13, 10:06   Link #13
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, that's what brings the manga more in-line with the game in that sense, seeing as the "excellent drama" was largely an anime construction. Personally, I liked Kaede's character better in the game and in the manga (where she doesn't "go psycho"), but I realize that I'm in a tiny minority there.
While the anime version of Kaede is certainly both compelling and tragic, my personal preference for her as a personality - as opposed to filling a character role in a drama - also leans more toward the way she is portrayed in the game. The anime version added extra helpings of sadness and angst, and created a violent mental/emotional breakdown for Kaede in order to pump up the drama level for her arc. And I think that just about anyone who watched the series will agree that plot device functioned exactly as it was intended. In the game, however, Kaede comes across as a happier person. She is reliable and responsible for the most part, but she is less serious than in the anime - she can even be a bit of a ditz occasionally. Her obsession is still there and she can be gloomy at times, but it doesn't overrule the rest of her personality to the extent that it does in the anime.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 13:59   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki View Post
While the anime version of Kaede is certainly both compelling and tragic, my personal preference for her as a personality - as opposed to filling a character role in a drama - also leans more toward the way she is portrayed in the game. The anime version added extra helpings of sadness and angst, and created a violent mental/emotional breakdown for Kaede in order to pump up the drama level for her arc. And I think that just about anyone who watched the series will agree that plot device functioned exactly as it was intended. In the game, however, Kaede comes across as a happier person. She is reliable and responsible for the most part, but she is less serious than in the anime - she can even be a bit of a ditz occasionally. Her obsession is still there and she can be gloomy at times, but it doesn't overrule the rest of her personality to the extent that it does in the anime.
Yup, exactly. The plot device in the anime functioned the way they wanted it too, but I couldn't help but feel that it was a bit of a "cheap ploy" to improve ratings -- and of course, it worked perfectly. It created whole new legions of Kaede fans to whom the "psycho" aspect was the single most endearing trait (and to whom episodes 19 & 20 are the highlight of the entire show). But until the anime came around, that wasn't the "Kaede" everyone knew. So, it's all very à-propos in this Kaede discussion thread.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 14:09   Link #15
monir
cho~ kakkoii

From an anime-only viewer's point of view, there is nothing to compare her character with other than the show itself. She was a dull character like most of the other characters until those couple of episodes.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 17:38   Link #16
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
true that kaede was shown to be a character only to be blended with the background before the snapping ~ with sia, prim and the other taking the spot light the writers needed something for bring kaede back out...and here spawned her amazing psyco personality and now this personality trait can be called the "kaede syndrome" which can be applied for other series...and example would be gift ~eternal rainbow~ (man i so saw that comming )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 04:15   Link #17
EphemeralDream
Suigintou Fan

While my heart always belongs to Primula ( ), I found that Kaede's little story arc was by far the best and most compelling of the 5 (Primula's a close second). Unlike the other arcs, which felt like a bunch of side dishes spread out through the course of a meal, Kaede's felt like a giant sandwich stuffed with all your favorite stuff + that little stick with the olive it to keep it all together!

Spoiler:

Assuming I didn't screw up the spoiler tab, that was my belief.

P.S. Though I will admit that Kaede looks a lot more healthy on that Shuffle! Memories extra chapter. Although she seems to fall back to her psychosis when under Rin-related stress, I believe she still has a shot, not as a sisterly friend but as a potential love interest.
EphemeralDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 20:04   Link #18
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiaminkbell View Post
Very well put. I can't imagine how much different Shuffle! would be without Kaede in it. All of the characters had their own personal problems they had to deal with, but above them all (with the exception of Asa [and even then I don't think so]), Kaede's was perhaps the saddest to watch.

Spoiler:
to that little spoiler tag.. check this out XD
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...o.php?v=103060
Old 2007-04-14, 20:19   Link #19
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Ephermal: I agree that Kaede's arc was the most compelling, and out of the anime, my favorite one. I just don't agree, becasue of their relationship in the ad their closeness for many years, anything more than a sister-brother relationship, at least in Rin's eye.

Clamp-X: Thanks for that, I was waiting for the last part.
Old 2007-04-16, 01:43   Link #20
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

I agree in all the comments posted in this thread.... the story of kaede brought people like me to admire her and love her and respect her... she brings the word tragic unrequited love in the story.. Because of the tragedy in the past, her reason of living is taking care of Rin.. "atoning for her sins"... upto the point that she is confused and lost... her story brought up the Shuffle from a regular harem into a dramatic tragic story of love... That's why I love her esp. her personality.