Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-05, 12:31   Link #5521
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Or you're too self-conscious and embarrassed to look her in the eyes.
Old 2010-07-05, 12:46   Link #5522
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think I have the opposite problem. Usually, during conversation, people break eye contact momentarily every few seconds. For some reason, I never do unless I consciously force myself to, lol. Not really a problem I guess but I don't want to come off as some kind of murderer with a death stare.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 14:57   Link #5523
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think I have the opposite problem. Usually, during conversation, people break eye contact momentarily every few seconds. For some reason, I never do unless I consciously force myself to, lol. Not really a problem I guess but I don't want to come off as some kind of murderer with a death stare.
You may just be an alpha personality, and them... well.. not...

I tend to keep eye contact as well, and it's been known to make some uncomfy (those who mention it, I do make an effort, out of respect for them, to not look them dead in the eye lol) But then, I'm an alpha personality too LOL

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 15:18   Link #5524
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Forgive me for asking, but what's an alpha personality? *has never heard of such terms*
Old 2010-07-05, 15:35   Link #5525
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Forgive me for asking, but what's an alpha personality? *has never heard of such terms*
Someone who is quite dominating compared to others.
A "leader" of the pack, if you would say.

This is a very good trait, and can help in a lot of cases.
Old 2010-07-05, 15:38   Link #5526
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post

Ah, thanks for that; I got a little lost when the term came up. Goes to show how much I know about personality types, that's for sure.
Old 2010-07-05, 17:55   Link #5527
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Nah, more like, you can't stay focused on a woman's eyes for some reason; maybe something more interesting is going on, or you aren't attracted to her, whatever, so you look at anything but right into her eyes. That's a "wandering gaze" from what I know.
Personally, I do it because I am shy. I would look at someone to make sure they weren't looking at me, and then the second they look my way I pretend to look elsewhere. To me, it's more or less a sign of uncertainty.
Old 2010-07-05, 18:45   Link #5528
LMF

Quote:
Nah, more like, you can't stay focused on a woman's eyes for some reason; maybe something more interesting is going on, or you aren't attracted to her, whatever, so you look at anything but right into her eyes. That's a "wandering gaze" from what I know.
Maybe. I don't seem to ever develop a romantic interest in anyone. I guess I'm one of the late ones.
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 18:59   Link #5529
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post

though to clarify, it doesn't mean you're a jerkface and dominate everyone. It can also mean you simply stand up for yourself and don't back down

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 19:06   Link #5530
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
Personally, I do it because I am shy. I would look at someone to make sure they weren't looking at me, and then the second they look my way I pretend to look elsewhere. To me, it's more or less a sign of uncertainty.
While I do have that shy personality, I can still keep eye contact most of the time during a conversation. In most cases, it's when I don't have an answer to a question right away when I lose eye contact.
Old 2010-07-05, 19:20   Link #5531
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
though to clarify, it doesn't mean you're a jerkface and dominate everyone. It can also mean you simply stand up for yourself and don't back down
Ah, this is also what I meant, which is why I said it was a good trait.
It was not my intention to offend as I did not mean it in the "jerkface" way.
Old 2010-07-05, 20:11   Link #5532
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I seem to exude two different effects on women - strongly correlated to their age.

Married women/40+ women think I'm handsome, polite, good to talk with and that I dress well.

Single women below the age of 30 all give me a look as if they wishI was dead and do their best to completely ignore me.

It gives me the chills...and a bit of despair. I can't figure out why only more mature/attached women like me....

I sometimes wonder if looking younger than I actually am has something to do with it. I am 29 but most people think I'm 21-23 before I tell them I'm 29.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2010-07-05 at 20:26.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 20:30   Link #5533
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Not quite. "Alpha male" simply means a guy in a position of dominance. In any social group, you'll have one that the others look up to, and women will be more attracted to. He can be a decent guy, but it's rare. Most guys become alphas by stepping on others, so you're likely to find a higher proportion of alpha males being not-quite-nice.

The "beta males" can still stand up for themselves, but they will tend to defer to the alpha. Most "nice guys" fall into this role, because, being nice guys, they generally don't want to make waves.

As far as the "wandering eye" thing goes... wandering eye simply means a guy looks around at other girls. It's genetic. If taken further, it means he actively desires other women, most likely a player.

Lastly, all I can say about "eye contact" is that some people just have problems with. Those with Asperger's usually have trouble making eye contact, and they'll try to look away or look down. It's really hard to look at someone, and it's something I've had to learn to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I seem to exude two different effects on women - strongly correlated to their age.

Married women/40+ women think I'm handsome, polite, good to talk with and that I dress well.

Single women below the age of 30 all give me a look as if they wishI was dead and do their best to completely ignore me.

It gives me the chills...and a bit of despair. I can't figure out why only more mature/attached women like me....

I sometimes wonder if looking younger than I actually am has something to do with it. I am 29 but most people think I'm 21-23 before I tell them I'm 29.
It's because the more mature women are exactly that... more mature. They know they are getting older and aren't getting the attention they used to when they were younger, so they make more effort to reach out to guys. Generally speaking, younger women get more attention, and thus grow used to always having people like them because of their beauty, etc. Some women realize this early on, but many do not, and thus end up treating people lightly. It's only when they get older and the attention vastly decreases, that they start to change.

So, pretty much, hope you find someone around your age who has learned early, and ignore the bad ones who treat you like trash.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 20:30   Link #5534
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:

It might have something to do with the air or presence you give off. You might just attract a certain kind of woman and not attract the other kind.
Old 2010-07-05, 21:05   Link #5535
LMF

I'm starting to like this thread. I've been reading most of the recent posts, some of them, which I find helpful, are good pointers.

I feel a bit confident now, I'll probably test my confidence tomorrow.
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 23:58   Link #5536
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Looking someone in the eye doesn't mean you're going to give that kind of vibe though. If you have an expressionless face and try to sound like someone creepy, I could see how someone would think that, but if you're a laid back casual person than it's not a big deal.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 00:13   Link #5537
yoropa
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Looking someone in the eye doesn't mean you're going to give that kind of vibe though. If you have an expressionless face and try to sound like someone creepy, I could see how someone would think that, but if you're a laid back casual person than it's not a big deal.
Have the same problem myself really, though for me it's outside the realm of relationships and more that I freak out people who don't know me too well, in general. People I've become more casual with though are used to it.

It's not something I think about, but more something that comes naturally for me. To me it's natural to look somebody in the eye when speaking.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 01:32   Link #5538
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:

Back when I was maybe 19 or 20, I had a women who I'd guess was about 50 approach me on the train I was taking to university and say something along the lines of "Excuse me, I'm sure you get this all the time, but did you know you look like Tom Cruise?"

I'm still not sure if she was trying to pick me up or not. And no, I in fact have never been told I looked like Tom Cruise prior to that, although when I asked a guy at my university his opinion on the matter he said he could kind of see a resemblance.

As a random aside, I've also been told I look kind of like Uwe Boll.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 04:05   Link #5539
nlnforever

I am young, just about 25, and I am married, my wife is also my 1st love, and I am her 1st too. I heard that everybody said 1st love never lasts long, we have been together for 8 years already. So I do hope that our relationship can last long.
nlnforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 04:12   Link #5540
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

^ thats the dream and im happy that your living it.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom