AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-09-28, 10:04   Link #941
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
Yeah, just started reading this series and I getting bored of the antagonists who have no depth, no development and feels like characters made of cardboard. As of now I cannot feel anything for the bad guys, no hate or such, just pure boredom. Will it get better in the later volumes?
Honestly I'm not getting where the antagonists need char development...

Haunted is an awesome char just because how he is - a psycho with his own set of rules which he upholds to the bitter end. (even if it means helping the "good" guys for a fight).

What I hate far more than antagonists without char development are protags/antags with inconsistent characters. The typical shounen antagonist (rumored as the greatest killer in the world e. g.) when he nearly beats the protags then for some reason has to stop the fight, gives the protag time to train and then wonders how the protag got so strong in their next fight...
Or even worse: an antagonist who is of the planning type and then is suddenly surprised when the stronger protag comes back for revenge after some training (as if he couldn't think far enough ahead to at least monitor the training of the protag...)

But ok...in your case it would help to know where exactly you are in the novel.
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 10:43   Link #942
Cinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
Honestly I'm not getting where the antagonists need char development...

Haunted is an awesome char just because how he is - a psycho with his own set of rules which he upholds to the bitter end. (even if it means helping the "good" guys for a fight).

What I hate far more than antagonists without char development are protags/antags with inconsistent characters. The typical shounen antagonist (rumored as the greatest killer in the world e. g.) when he nearly beats the protags then for some reason has to stop the fight, gives the protag time to train and then wonders how the protag got so strong in their next fight...
Or even worse: an antagonist who is of the planning type and then is suddenly surprised when the stronger protag comes back for revenge after some training (as if he couldn't think far enough ahead to at least monitor the training of the protag...)

But ok...in your case it would help to know where exactly you are in the novel.
Just finished volume 3. Don't misunderstand, I'm planning on reading the whole series, but I'm just finding the presence of so many things I generally dislike in manga and anime a bit disappointing. Like you mentioned, I dislike all of the above, in addition: villain or protagonist survive just because. Villains just do stuff, because, they don't have a reason? Can't I even get to read how they became who they are?
The lack of any world building other just listing words like a list. So much text and none of it is relevant for the plot. Just take out the plot and put it in another setting and nothing changes. That's my take on this series till now, and I hope it's getting better. I'm just reluctant to read more if there's no improvements to look forward to.

Last edited by Cinnamon; 2015-09-28 at 12:31.
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 13:43   Link #943
Darkbacon
The Masked Panties

has anyone in his platoon been traumatized in any way since I haven't read after the 3rd volume
Old 2015-09-28, 13:52   Link #944
Hokoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbacon View Post
has anyone in his platoon been traumatized in any way since I haven't read after the 3rd volume
Every last one of them is suffering from past trauma.
Hokoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 14:16   Link #945
Darkbacon
The Masked Panties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokoga View Post
Every last one of them is suffering from past trauma.
Well I meant more like anything new that happened to them since I know about some of their pasts
Old 2015-09-28, 14:43   Link #946
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
Just finished volume 3. Don't misunderstand, I'm planning on reading the whole series, but I'm just finding the presence of so many things I generally dislike in manga and anime a bit disappointing. Like you mentioned, I dislike all of the above, in addition: villain or protagonist survive just because. Villains just do stuff, because, they don't have a reason? Can't I even get to read how they became who they are?
The lack of any world building other just listing words like a list. So much text and none of it is relevant for the plot. Just take out the plot and put it in another setting and nothing changes. That's my take on this series till now, and I hope it's getting better. I'm just reluctant to read more if there's no improvements to look forward to.

Well then what about Isuka - I think she explained why she did what she did, or?

About Haunted: even now much about him is shrouded in darkness, nobody even knows how old he is or what his magic is based on.

As for world building: this is 100% intentional. Reason being that the world building is a heavy part of the plot after Volume 5 (well a bit before that but that would spoil too much ;-)).

Vol. 1-5 are the character volumes; in these we learn more about squad members and how they became what they are now (Vol. 1 Ouka, Vol. 2 Mari, Vol. 3 Ikaruga, Vol. 4 Usagi and Vol. 5 Takeru)
Old 2015-09-28, 16:30   Link #947
Cinnamon

Quote:
Well then what about Isuka - I think she explained why she did what she did, or?

About Haunted: even now much about him is shrouded in darkness, nobody even knows how old he is or what his magic is based on.

As for world building: this is 100% intentional. Reason being that the world building is a heavy part of the plot after Volume 5 (well a bit before that but that would spoil too much ;-)).

Vol. 1-5 are the character volumes; in these we learn more about squad members and how they became what they are now (Vol. 1 Ouka, Vol. 2 Mari, Vol. 3 Ikaruga, Vol. 4 Usagi and Vol. 5 Takeru)
Ah, then that's a relief. Guess I should reach at least Volume 6 then. I was mostly reading it due to the wacky main characters, but if the would building comes later, oh yeah!
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 18:09   Link #948
Darkbacon
The Masked Panties

so who gets raped, NTRed, and dies uselessly?
Old 2015-09-28, 18:37   Link #949
charasu
DigiDestinied

Ep1 - chapter 1-3/5 (vol1)
>Sortie! Small Fry Platoon!

Ep2 chapter 4-5/5 (vol1)
>Hero Summoning

Ep3 chapter 1-4/6 (vol2)
>Witch Enlisted

Ep4 chapter 5-6/6 (vol2)
>Necromancer's laughter

Sauce frome /a/
So yeah, :v
I'm Gonna activate Invidia Thema.
Old 2015-10-03, 00:47   Link #950
Iron Maw
Banned

So I just finished reading vol 5 of this. That was best book by far and was really emotional in a good way. Thankfully the author avoided using the overdone incest trope here. I was getting worried Suginami started teasing it and whole date thing.

Spoiler for epilogue:
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 01:14   Link #951
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
So I just finished reading vol 5 of this. That was best book by far and was really emotional in a good way. Thankfully the author avoided using the overdone incest trope here. I was getting worried Suginami started teasing it and whole date thing.

Spoiler for epilogue:
I'm sorry to disappoint but the incest is real. Real terrifying though
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 01:25   Link #952
Iron Maw
Banned

"sigh"

Do normal sibling relationships even exist in this medium anymore? :/

Well I just chalk this up as a disappointment and move on. Onward towards vol 6.
Old 2015-10-03, 01:39   Link #953
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:

"sigh"

Well I just chalk this up as a disappointment and move on. Onward towards vol 6.
Lol no, don't take it as a negative.
Spoiler for Spoils:
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 13:29   Link #954
Iron Maw
Banned

It's still shoehorning incestical trope that has been all rage in the last few years. Even the Yandere bit has been done to death. I've settled my feelings this matter after thinking about things a bit though.

I'll give this a pass because Takeru and Kiseki familial relationship is anything but normal anyway and the two knew each for years as friends before they found their were siblings. So if she feel for him before then I can by it, since this actually more like a Luke and Lelia situation from Starwars then just something for fanservice a'la your typical LN.
Old 2015-10-03, 13:37   Link #955
Wandering Soul

Quote:
It's still shoehorning incestical trope that has been all rage in the last few years. Even the Yandere bit has been done to death. I've settled my feelings this matter after thinking about things a bit though.

I'll give this a pass because Takeru and Kiseki familial relationship is anything but normal anyway and the two knew each for years as friends before they found their were siblings. So if she feel for him before then I can by it, since this actually more like a Luke and Lelia situation from Starwars then just something for fanservice a'la your typical LN.
I mean, the series also doesn't portray it as being something completely healthy. They don't portray her love as something she should overcome, but her obsession with just Takeru and having her version of a happy ending with him, and nothing else aren't portrayed in a positive light.

Last edited by Wandering Soul; 2015-10-03 at 13:49.
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 04:34   Link #956
Esebian

I would not go so far as calling Kiseki's feelings for Takeru love - it is more of a broken obsession (actually I don't even know a word to describe their relationship perfectly).

Think about it: Takeru was the only person in Kiseki's life who didn't see the monster in her but the person (for a very good reason btw (and nope not because he is the "nice to everyone" MC))- after she ran mad for the first time she got locked up by the Inquisition and was killed again and again; both for containing her agressive second nature and to experiment on her.

For most of her life she knew only 2 things: lonliness and pain. Takeru was the person who taught her that there is more to the world than just these things - it is completely normal that she starts looking at him as the person who changed her whole life. Then Vol. 5 happened and she more or less completely broke, but that would be too spoilerish, so read it for yourself :P

Imo the situation is too complex as to just break it down into incest and yandere or other buzzwords; it should just be looked at as sth new instead of letting prejudices run wild ;-)

Quote:
I wasn't expecting him in to end up what is basically Hogwarts.
That said I really hope the author doesn't get predictable here and make Kusanagi enroll in another school. -_-

The plot here seems to finally started moving beyond that now and into a new stage.
The author likes to troll everyone ^^ Actually I thought the same but worry not apart from around half of Vol. 6 AMA never again is set in a school.
Old 2015-10-04, 13:42   Link #957
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
I mean, the series also doesn't portray it as being something completely healthy. They don't portray her love as something she should overcome, but her obsession with just Takeru and having her version of a happy ending with him, and nothing else aren't portrayed in a positive light.
She's a Yandere, they pretty much defined by being unhealthy mentally. I get what you mean though. Her horrible life up to this point has twisted her desires and she probably losing her sanity because of it.

Quote:
The author likes to troll everyone ^^ Actually I thought the same but worry not apart from around half of Vol. 6 AMA never again is set in a school.
Oh, good. I had only read just the prologue for vol 6 so I was worried.
Old 2015-10-05, 04:07   Link #958
clarkken228

Quote:

"sigh"

What are you talking about? There is no incest in here. The novel stated that he wanted his sister to live a normal life, love and get married. It's purely family love. Sadly his sister is obsessed with him because she doesn't know anything about the world.
Old 2015-10-05, 23:59   Link #959
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkken228 View Post
What are you talking about? There is no incest in here. The novel stated that he wanted his sister to live a normal life, love and get married. It's purely family love. Sadly his sister is obsessed with him because she doesn't know anything about the world.
What? Look above my post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
I'm sorry to disappoint but the incest is real. Real terrifying though
Besides I said nothing about Takeru's feelings. And Kiseki's obsession and willingness to kill off all of Takeru close friends only makes sense if it stems out a love that been twisted by her loneliness. Otherwise Takeru being another girl wouldn't bother her because she would still be with him regardless. Nobody can take Takeru from here unless it is an romantic sense.

And Takeru is a typical dense harem lead when comes to romance and I really doubt we will get any real resolution that front. I'm expecting an open ended scenario or a harem end. If we get anything outside of that I'll be impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-10-06 at 01:39.
Old 2015-10-06, 15:57   Link #960
AceTrigger

Is the elf girl part of the harem?
AceTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fujimi shobo, harem, light novel