AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Heavy Object

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-10-03, 04:18   Link #161
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Didn't the episode explain that?
It did, but I figure it worth repeating due to the number of posters wondering why Objects rose to prominence as the dominant conventional weapon.
Old 2015-10-03, 04:21   Link #162
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The reason why Object dominated conventional warfare is due to three parts:

1) Very obviously, it has the biggest guns on the battlefield
2) It has the highest armor on the battlefield
3) And thirdly, as I've kept mentioning- these things are ridiculously fast for their size, just look at Baby Magnum's top speed.

So what you have is a weapon that if you have one and the enemy doesn't, they might as well surrender because fighting it would result in meaninglessly sacrificing life and equipment due to them being completely out matched.

At least on a conventional level.
Yes, but the question is, with Object technology, wouldn't it be trivial to make a better war machine?

My answer is, I don't know. It's not like with humanoid mechs where the flaws are obvious. An Object's only as big as it needs to be. Might as well ask why plane carriers are so big.
Old 2015-10-03, 04:37   Link #163
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Yes, but the question is, with Object technology, wouldn't it be trivial to make a better war machine?
Just look at how quick Froleytia can take out a guerilla base from possibly kilometers away. A few taps is all it takes to squish them. Now, imagine a larger base and all of Baby Magnum's primary and secondary armaments used for what's suspected as a war factory. It's still no match, and that's from a First Generation Object, which we can compare as Windows XP computers in a world already dominated by Windows 7s.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2015-10-03, 04:40   Link #164
madmanthan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

My answer is, I don't know. It's not like with humanoid mechs where the flaws are obvious. An Object's only as big as it needs to be. Might as well ask why plane carriers are so big.
Hence, the second, third, fourth, generation objects.

It's like Battleships, and aircraft.

each generation improves upon the previous, until something entirely new comes into play....
Old 2015-10-03, 04:43   Link #165
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Adding to the above posts, the key term here is "Object technology". Yet just from the first episode alone one can't make any claims about what Object technology actually is.

What makes an Object an Object?
Can you take a part (or weapon) of the Object and attach it to another machine? Would that then be an Object?
And what makes an Object's weapon so special that it break through armour that a nuclear weapon can't?
What is the power source for such a behemoth machine?

All questions that are worth bringing up, and WILL eventually get answered.
Old 2015-10-03, 04:58   Link #166
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Just look at how quick Froleytia can take out a guerilla base from possibly kilometers away. A few taps is all it takes to squish them. Now, imagine a larger base and all of Baby Magnum's primary and secondary armaments used for what's suspected as a war factory. It's still no match, and that's from a First Generation Object, which we can compare as Windows XP computers in a world already dominated by Windows 7s.
I've no idea what you're trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanthan21 View Post
Hence, the second, third, fourth, generation objects.

It's like Battleships, and aircraft.

each generation improves upon the previous, until something entirely new comes into play....
Yeah, but those are still Objects. I'm trying to address the complaint that Objects are absurd as war machines. For humanoid mechs, it's easy - just put its components into a tank shape, and you're done.

But for Objects? How do you use their tech better? Maybe the spherical shape isn't great, but that's about it. If you want the advantages of an Object, you're going to need to be that big.
Old 2015-10-03, 05:11   Link #167
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I've no idea what you're trying to say.
You can't make nukes or pretty much any other war tech if Objects can snipe any threat from a sizable distance away.
Well, except if you have an Object.

Quote:
But for Objects? How do you use their tech better? Maybe the spherical shape isn't great, but that's about it. If you want the advantages of an Object, you're going to need to be that big.
Just watch. Baby Magnum is a really old model, and there will be a lot more Objects to be featured.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2015-10-03, 05:20   Link #168
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Putting aside the viability of nukes, people tend to not want to nuke each other if they really, really help it. Even if you don't care of the political backlash It's not good for whatever territories you're trying to acquire.

Objects would allow them to have the deterrence factor of nukes, but with the practicality of mobile artillery.

A sort of "missing link" you might say...
Old 2015-10-03, 05:22   Link #169
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Oh, on a different note completely, so the objects were first introduced by "a certain island nation." Gee, I wonder who that could have been.

...Don't mind me. Bit of cynicism escaping.
Australia... Britain... Chaos2Frozen and OH&S... your guys's imaginations are quite lacking...

He's clearly talking about something from Index-verse... Right!? Right!? ... The certain part proves it.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
Old 2015-10-03, 05:25   Link #170
The One Above God
Kamijou

First episode is pretty great. Really liked it. Only thing that I didn't really like was the seatbelt scene, but everything else was great.

@dniv, I actually thought about that too...but then, I remembered that if AC actually created a super weapon like an object, then this series would only have AC issued objects with AC ruling the world

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
Old 2015-10-03, 05:32   Link #171
Esebian

Quote:

Objects don't randomly grow at trees - they cost a huge amount of money and resources (the Baby Magnum has the advantage that it is so old that there are many spare parts from other old machines which can be used to repair or even rebuild it)

So you want to build Objects which suffer the least amount of dmg against other Objects, hence technological advancement is important.

Also you want Objects which can hold their ground against more than 1 Object at a time in important places.

Basically the same as before - you want to spent the least possible amount of resources to get the best result.
Old 2015-10-03, 05:42   Link #172
madmanthan21

Quote:

You can say the same for Battleships, you want something that can counter the enemy's battleships, so you make one with bigger guns, better mobility, and better armor, cause the only thing that you can be sure that can kill these big expensive monsters, is a big expensive monster of your own. (since nukes can be shot down)
Old 2015-10-03, 05:56   Link #173
EroKing

Old 2015-10-03, 05:57   Link #174
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

She aint heavy, she's my waifu~

Last edited by mangatron; 2015-10-03 at 05:58. Reason: lol, 1 minute King, 1 minute XD
Old 2015-10-03, 05:58   Link #175
ReddyRedWolf

Let me get this straight. This whole conflict started because one country began colonizing the Moon and it went to the polarization of the world?
Old 2015-10-03, 06:00   Link #176
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Where did that come from? Did I miss something?
Old 2015-10-03, 06:02   Link #177
madmanthan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Let me get this straight. This whole conflict started because one country began colonizing the Moon and it went to the polarization of the world?

Actually this whole conflict started because collapse of the UN, though it's not explained how......

The destruction of a space shuttle is just so the viewers can see that they have the tech to do so......
Old 2015-10-03, 06:18   Link #178
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The opening is both "War, war never changes." and "War, has changed."
Old 2015-10-03, 06:34   Link #179
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Yeah so this is really confusing me. The show seems to put so much focus on the waifus that I have a difficult time determinging whether it's a waifu show or a show about war.
Old 2015-10-03, 06:39   Link #180
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There are only two waifus and two bros (three waifus if you think Quenser is cute in a dress ).

Closed Thread

Tags
action, comedy, light novel adaptation, mecha, sci-fi