AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Heavy Object

Notices

View Poll Results: Heavy Object - Episode 9 (Antarctica 1) Rating
Perfect 10 2 10.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 35.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 20.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 5.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-11-30, 00:01   Link #41
SeaDoor

The main characters sure do make this series fun to watch.
Old 2015-11-30, 00:47   Link #42
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Havia got a real 'Princess' as his fiance, yets still tries to "bang" other women.
Old 2015-11-30, 01:24   Link #43
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Same here, best part of the episode
Yelling fuck in Anime tickles a childish side of my brain, given how rare we hear it from our anime, let alone the 'heroes'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Wow, Havia had a GF? Really?
A fiance to be exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Havia got a real 'Princess' as his fiance, yets still tries to "bang" other women.
That's why the God of lucky perverts isn't smiling on him.
Old 2015-11-30, 13:39   Link #44
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Yeah, like some sort of aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yelling fuck in Anime tickles a childish side of my brain, given how rare we hear it from our anime, let alone the 'heroes'
Especially with positive response, without "pervert" and slaps.
Old 2015-12-01, 11:03   Link #45
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
This show is almost unwatchable if they did not have Frolaytia air time.
I have different issues entirely.

It’s obvious that this episode's animation quality took a bit of a dive especially during the moment when the supposed “camera” is doing the panning-rotation on our beloved duo on ice. And the penguins looks like flash animation.

Aside from the lack of animation quality, the heavy exposition spouted by the characters is back in full force to the point that it makes this episode almost sounds like a (fictional) social-military documentary on steroids which is not a good thing for a non-documentary entertainment piece. Of course I can still follow the information in all those exposition but I sure as hell do not enjoy how it was executed which beats the purpose of the show being an entertainment.

And speaking of Frolaytia, the crass/poor/tasteless fanservice also back again. We got Milinda stripped basically for no reason beside filling the “eyecandy” quota this episode (broken AC has got to be one of the lamest excuses for showing characters’ skin just for the heck of it). And don’t make me mention the repeated and focused shot of Frolaytia’s thighs. And this happened even after I excused the existence of that little T&A segment in that “treasure video” as part of the joke.

Of course, it wouldn’t be fair if I don’t mention things that I like from this episode, which are:
  • More character exploration for Hevy
  • The cute penguins (even in poor animation)
  • Some of the humor works (though some others are not)
  • The “Juliet” got to preserve her dignity as a character by not falling victim to mindless fanservice.

So far, I feel that HO is the Highschool DxD of mecha genre where the show repeatedly slaps your face with mindless fanservice almost in each episode without much care as if trying to fill a certain quota of ecchiness. If titles like this and Infinite Stratos being the poster boy for mecha LNs, people will certainly look down on the whole genre. Thank god for Full Metal Panic! that knows how to do a good exposition and storytelling with well-timed and well-put ecchi & humor.
Old 2015-12-01, 13:13   Link #46
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

You think Heavy Object have the same level of fanservice as HotD and Infinite Stratos ? Wut?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2015-12-01 at 13:35.
Old 2015-12-01, 14:15   Link #47
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
You think Heavy Object have the same level of fanservice as HotD and Infinite Stratos ? Wut?
Relative to their own genre? Yes.

Highschool DxD has so much unnatural/crass/braindead fanservice even for the harem genre-standard where it belongs. While Infinite Stratos is worse because it's just a harem series posing itself as a mecha series (also with braindead fanservice, especially in season 2).

HO is supposed to be in the Mecha genre and in the real-robot subgenre where fanservice is usually very minimal. So, for a series of its respective genre, HO is indeed the equivalent of Highschool DxD so far.
Old 2015-12-01, 14:26   Link #48
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Relative to their own genre? Yes.

Highschool DxD has so much unnatural/crass/braindead fanservice even for the harem genre-standard where it belongs. While Infinite Stratos is worse because it's just a harem series posing itself as a mecha series (also with braindead fanservice, especially in season 2).

HO is supposed to be in the Mecha genre and in the real-robot subgenre where fanservice is usually very minimal. So, for a series of its respective genre, HO is indeed the equivalent of Highscool DxD so far.
So it's a relatively speaking kind of thing? Okay I see what you mean. But even then I don't think the real robot genre is as fanservice minimal as you might think, or at least the gap is not as wide.

Not until there's a bullet-dodging Breasts scene.
Old 2015-12-01, 14:50   Link #49
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
So it's a relatively speaking kind of thing? Okay I see what you mean. But even then I don't think the real robot genre is as fanservice minimal as you might think, or at least the gap is not as wide.

Not until there's a bullet-dodging Breasts scene.
Aside from Vandread & Cross Ange (which is closer to Super-Robot genre anyway) and Muv-Luv and its ilk (which is an adult game first and mecha series later) I don’t remember any other Real-Robot series that go out of its way to frame the shots and focus on female characters’ erotic regions almost every episode. Plus, HO creates an entire mechanism/plot which one of its main purposes is to show fanservice (eg. the seatbelt shenanigans, the flute shenanigans, the AC shenanigans, the I-need-to-take-off-my-pilot-suit-AKA.strip-inside-the-cockpit-for-technical-reasons shenanigans, etc). Adding insult to injury, the way HO do and execute the fanservice has the subtlety of a sledgehammer that makes many experienced viewers who are new to this particular title feel uncomfortable and have the urge to facepalm and laugh (in a bad way) instead of being titillated. Don’t believe me? Read/watch the reviews and reactions on the net.

And if there's a real-robot series that do a bullet-time breast, that means the series has gone way too far into what-the-fuck-is-this-shit realm. Which so far, there's none. Or maybe HO will do that later on and set a groundbreakingly new low-standard in doing fanservice. It's already low-standard as it is.
Old 2015-12-01, 15:09   Link #50
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Aside from Vandread & Cross Ange (which is closer to Super-Robot genre anyway) and Muv-Luv and its ilk (which is an adult game first and mecha series later) I don’t remember any other Real-Robot series that go out of its way to frame the shots and focus on female characters’ erotic regions almost every episode. Plus, HO creates an entire mechanism/plot which one of its main purposes is to show fanservice (eg. the seatbelt shenanigans, the flute shenanigans, the AC shenanigans, the I-need-to-take-off-my-pilot-suit-AKA.strip-inside-the-cockpit-for-technical-reasons shenanigans, etc). Adding insult to injury, the way HO do and execute the fanservice has the subtlety of a sledgehammer that makes many experienced viewers who are new to this particular title feel uncomfortable and have the urge to facepalm and laugh (in a bad way) instead of being titillated. Don’t believe me? Read the reviews on the net.

And if there's a real-robot series that do a bullet-time breast, that means the series has gone way too far into what-the-fuck-is-this-shit realm. Which so far, there's none. Or maybe HO will do that later on and set a groundbreakingly new low-standard in doing fanservice. It's already low-standard as it is.
Eh, reviews are a dime a dozen- anyone can write one. I've learned a long time ago not to place too much stock into those, especially when it comes to the issue of fanservice- for everyone you say isn't titillated, there is probably one that is. Oh for sure there are definitely shenanigans, but they're just that- shenanigans. They certainly aren't asking any more or less than a quick chuckle (or not, whatever floats your boat).

In any case if the issue is how HO is crass enough to be the HotD of mechas, I just want to point out that even using relativity, it's nowhere close or outstanding enough in the fanservice department.

Otherwise EroKing would post here more... Just sayin...
Old 2015-12-01, 15:25   Link #51
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Eh, reviews are a dime a dozen- anyone can write one.
Precisely. Everyone can write one. Which means those reviews and reactions are the expression of a large numbers of anime viewers out there. Which in this case don’t favor HO for its bad fanservice.

Quote:
Oh for sure there are definitely shenanigans, but they're just that- shenanigans. They certainly aren't asking any more or less than a quick chuckle (or not, whatever floats your boat).
All fanservice in anime is basically shenanigans and a wink to its viewers (except for hentai that took it seriously). And that shenanigans can still drag the story down if not done well.

Quote:
In any case if the issue is how HO is crass enough to be the HotD of mechas, I just want to point out that even using relativity, it's nowhere close or outstanding enough in the fanservice department.
I don’t know why you keep mentioning HotD (Highschool of the Dead) when the series that I use to compare is Highschool DxD. Two completely different anime series. HotD’s fanservice is so out there. It’s like the Sharknado of fanservice that it cannot be measured anymore, and I don’t mind that level of insanity. On the other hand, Highschool DxD’s fanservice is just crass, lame and badly incorporated that you’d feel pity and annoyed rather than titillated, much like HO. And yes I agree that HO's fanservice is nowhere near outstanding, it's incredibly bad.

Quote:
Otherwise EroKing would post here more... Just sayin...
EroKing has his own taste and he's not omnipresent
Old 2015-12-01, 15:57   Link #52
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Precisely. Everyone can write one. Which means those reviews and reactions are the expression of a large numbers of anime viewers out there. Which in this case don’t favor HO for its bad fanservice.
Nah, we like to think people speaking out on the internet represents the thoughts of a majority but the reality usually isn't so cut and dry. For everyone who complaints, there's a silent majority who just don't have a problem with it.

Quote:
All fanservice in anime is basically shenanigans and a wink to its viewers (except for hentai that took it seriously). And that shenanigans can still drag the story down if not done well.
Sure, if it drags down the story.

Quote:
I don’t know why you keep mentioning HotD (Highschool of the Dead) when the series that I use to compare is Highschool DxD. Two completely different anime series. HotD’s fanservice is so out there. It’s like the Sharknado of fanservice that it cannot be measured anymore, and I don’t mind that level of insanity. On the other hand, Highschool DxD’s fanservice is just crass, lame and badly incorporated that you’d feel pity and annoyed rather than titillated, much like HO. And yes I agree that HO's fanservice is nowhere near outstanding, it's incredibly bad.
D'oh! My bad, misread your initial post.

But regardless you don't find yourself going into hyperbolic territory with this? Making arbitrary distinction between "So Bad" and "So Bad it's good!", trying to draw some standard when really it's no different than accepting one crazy fanservice over the other.

Also, DxD is like 80% fanservice while HO is at best 10%. If your premise for this argument is HO is just like DxD, whether it's quantity or quality, that's gonna be hard to agree with.

Quote:
EroKing has his own taste and he's not omnipresent
He actually is, I cleared this with him before posting
Old 2015-12-01, 16:12   Link #53
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Nah, we like to think people speaking out on the internet represents the thoughts of a majority but the reality usually isn't so cut and dry. For everyone who complaints, there's a silent majority who just don't have a problem with it.

Sure, if it drags down the story.

D'oh! My bad, misread your initial post.

But regardless you don't find yourself going into hyperbolic territory with this? Making arbitrary distinction between "So Bad" and "So Bad it's good!", trying to draw some standard when really it's no different than accepting one crazy fanservice over the other.

Also, DxD is like 80% fanservice while HO is at best 10%. If your premise for this argument is HO is just like DxD, whether it's quantity or quality, that's gonna be hard to agree with.
Duh. Most of what I said above about fanservice is based on my own impression, so I can say what I feel. I never put my opinion as the majority (after all, Infinite Stratos & Highschool DxD sold like hot cakes and has their armies of fans despite their poor quality).

However, there is one solid fact in my above posts about HO's fanservice: the fact about HO's insistence on focusing the shots on women's erotic regions in almost every episode (among other lame technical excuses for fanservice) which most other real-robot series didn't (and won't) stoop that low in fanservice department (thank heavens). Also about fanservice being shenanigans.
Old 2015-12-11, 13:45   Link #54
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Duh. Most of what I said above about fanservice is based on my own impression, so I can say what I feel. I never put my opinion as the majority (after all, Infinite Stratos & Highschool DxD sold like hot cakes and has their armies of fans despite their poor quality).

However, there is one solid fact in my above posts about HO's fanservice: the fact about HO's insistence on focusing the shots on women's erotic regions in almost every episode (among other lame technical excuses for fanservice) which most other real-robot series didn't (and won't) stoop that low in fanservice department (thank heavens). Also about fanservice being shenanigans.
That's just JC staff though. I don't see you making a clear case that the fanservice will eventually impact the quality of the real plot.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
Closed Thread