AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-12-04, 14:53   Link #41
7thMethuselah

Ok, the first DVD was intriguing to say the least, episode 1 (the one with the telepathic abilities) wasn't too great since I've heard that story too often allready. But the episode after that (the one with the guys starving in winter) really made me think.
Spoiler:

Episode three
Spoiler:

But the biggest surprise was in episode 4
Spoiler:

Anyway, I loved the show so far, I hope the next DVD's arrive soon
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 16:57   Link #42
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Spoiler:
yup, and one of my all time favorite, up there with Ruri Hoshino and Nausicaa
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 14:07   Link #43
shin_no_noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Spoiler:

Anyway, I loved the show so far, I hope the next DVD's arrive soon
Didn't you realize that when the guy asked her to marry her in episode one. Of course, we don't know if gay marraige is allowed in that country...

Spoiler for episode 12:
shin_no_noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 15:18   Link #44
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin_no_noir
Spoiler for episode 12:
Spoiler for my take on episode 12:
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 19:27   Link #45
Nekochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles
Spoiler for ep 13:
Spoiler:
Nekochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 23:17   Link #46
Lost

Wow.. I just finished episode 8, the one with Nimya, the aviator and her flying machine. And Nimya was such an interesting character(i think she was pretty much the main character here), maybe because she was such a lone spirit. The sequence where she tried flying with wings when she was young was beautifully done, and later when she really did fly, her expressions and shaky tone really touched me; truly, all that she went thru was not wasted. During that episode I found myself really digging for that machine to fly and everything to be allrite for Nimya. And well, it delivered. Finally an episode without tragedy - altho I felt a bit sad at the end, now as a "mage" her relationships/life would not be the same..

I must mention the music theme of this episode, it was was.. beautifully sublime? I really really enjoyed it. Does anyone who has the OST know the title of the song(s) play in episode 8?

For me, this episode has resurrected my interest in this series after the flop that was episode 5 and the mediocrity of the Coliseum arc.

Anyhow I decided to post here because I had a burning question about the Coliseum episodes. Remember about the travelling couple that wandered unfortunately into that city, and how they were paired to fight? The wife surrendered and got out, but the husband died fighting in another match. Kino met that woman in that desert.

Now. Why in the world did that woman, who lost her husband to that city, say that "It was a wonderful place, and that Kino should visit it sometime" and whats more, in such a forced happy voice? I've been thinking over this for the past day, but I still can't figure out why.. Is there supposed to be any meaning to this?

Anyhow, about episode 5, I thoroughly disliked it because it was so disjointed and that made it irritating. What link is there between 3 men working aimlessly on a railway, a city where humans do not work, and ruined city that took democracy too seriously?

Still I think Kino no Tabi is special, so far the episodes that most touched me are #2 (snow rabbits) because it was so poignant and it asked very good questions and #4 (the original Kino) because that involved an issue close to my heart, and made a good job of it too.

edit: Ah.. why are the "Kinos" in bold red? Wait. Now they disappeared.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 05:13   Link #47
Audrey88

Wink

I manage to watch Kino's Journey thru Animax. It's VERY nice and special. <edit by Mod (xris), please read the forum rules concerning licensed anime!>

Quote:
Anyhow I decided to post here because I had a burning question about the Coliseum episodes. Remember about the travelling couple that wandered unfortunately into that city, and how they were paired to fight? The wife surrendered and got out, but the husband died fighting in another match. Kino met that woman in that desert.

Now. Why in the world did that woman, who lost her husband to that city, say that "It was a wonderful place, and that Kino should visit it sometime" and whats more, in such a forced happy voice? I've been thinking over this for the past day, but I still can't figure out why.. Is there supposed to be any meaning to this?
I managed to catch this epi 2 weeks ago. I guess this is one of the dark nature of human. You see, when sum ppl couldn't get wad they want, they would hope that others won't get it either. It's de same, when sum ppl lose sumthing important to them, they hope that others would lose it as well. Not everyone is like that but well, there are ppl like that. Maybe it's because of jealousy. Remember de "sour grape" story we used to listen when we're young, the one about the fox and de grapes. It's all the same.

That lady might be one of those that I mentioned, but she couldn't conceal her sadness... I think, if she could have concealed her sadness, Kino will not find a reason to go there.

Remember when hermes asked when kino change her mind to visit this place, Kino said that she wanted to find out why de lady had such expression. I believe this is one way to get the story going and to create suspence

Quote:
What link is there between 3 men working aimlessly on a railway, a city where humans do not work, and ruined city that took democracy too seriously?
Oh yea, the next one about the 3 man who work aimlessly and de city where ppl dun work. We see how kino sees it... ALL OF THEM ARE AIMLESS!! But let's see wad's the 3 man's view. They think they are doing sumthing meaningful, aren't they? and it's de same for that city. They too think that they have a purpose! But how did the railway workers view that city?

the 1st one think that they are doing sumthing meaningless (and he didn't notice that he might juz have wasted his whole life as well)

the 2nd one envied them. Just like us, when we have our own responsibility, we envy those who dunneed to do anything. So, there's a link here. Don't you think that sometimes, our lives look so promising....but when we clearly evaluate it, yet it seemed so meaningless. It hits me... i study to get good results...hope to get a good job, good $$, maybe good family, good life and die... I feel no satisfaction... i see no purpose sumtimes. It's really depressing... But thx God... if it's not for HIM... i think i might be gone today. Btw, I'm a Christian. Well, u can ask me PERSONALLY if you wanna know wad happened.

For de ruined city. I dunno if there's a link with de one that i mentioned. But what i see is that how democracy back fires. I believe ALMOST everyone thinks that democracy is better than monarchy (however you spell it) and communism. But it leads to disasters as well. And another thing. To me, those people united for the wrong reason. It's more to "revenge" which is why it leads to wad we saw.... the ruined city. I thik this is very meaningful.

What questions me is the part when the railway workers asked Kino where's she going. It hits her alright.... and it hits me too...HARD... But i dunno why... The question is simple enough.... But i dun think she can answer. neither can I.

The fascinating part is not juz how we see human's dark side and all... It kinda touch our walk in life... So, have you found your purpose? Have you found de RIGHT way? and so on.... these questions still linger in my mind without any answer yet... but i'm sure I'll find it.

Last edited by xris; 2006-09-23 at 05:48.
Audrey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 03:56   Link #48
Lost

^ What you said about the 3 men.

Interesting. Wow, you may just have increased my respect for Kino no Tabi... Think I should watch that episode again.
Old 2006-09-24, 18:53   Link #49
Jordus

Kino's Travels

Kino's Travels is an anime classic. It just so happens to be the first Anime I ever purchased on DVD. I recommend this anime highly. Very highly.
Old 2006-09-24, 22:13   Link #50
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

I just noticed that the first book is coming out in Canada (States too I assume) this October. I'm thinking that I might buy it (and potentially the subsequent books as they are released). Though, is it exactly the same as the anime?
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 05:13   Link #51
Audrey88

I'm SO buying the novels..... i wonder is it in English because they are usually in Chinese sold in kinokuniya..... I might purchase Kino no tabi as well...since the download had been horrible.... One whole day and only 0.3% is downloaded... Killer~~

It really amazed me.... how on earth did the writer came out with ideas to illustrate what he/she really wanted to tell us? And it's more like ~you go figure out yourself~ kinda story where everyone has different thoughts on the idea. But i think Kino's Journey manages to portray the idea out well enough.

But, I would love to read those smart novels/manga where we couldn't see the exact plot directly.... Every plot have another bigger intention behind it... Such stories are always unpredictable.
Anyone have any idea wad manga/novel is like that?

Btw, I just got to know about Kino's Journey. i heard there there's movie for it too. How's the movie?
Old 2006-09-25, 07:16   Link #52
Lost

AFAIK, the Movie that is available for download seems to be only a truncated (30 minute) version of the full movie. In effect, the only subbed version of the movie is not the full movie. I haven watched it tho, its languishing on my HD because I was abit disillusioned with Kino.

If you wander into the General Anime subforum, you'll see that a 2nd Kino Movie is coming.
Old 2006-09-25, 18:44   Link #53
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey88
I'm SO buying the novels..... i wonder is it in English because they are usually in Chinese sold in kinokuniya.....
Yah, I think they should be in English. I found it listed on Chapters.ca.
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 18:52   Link #54
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Woah! So people actually know about Kino no Tabi? I thought the veiwers were an endangered species or something. But never the less, I loved the series and Kino, she's just so awesome by just being...well, Kino! For a while, I was searching for her best quotes and writing them down too.
Yazakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 18:59   Link #55
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I just got my DVDs!

Now to go do some converting...
Old 2006-09-27, 05:22   Link #56
Audrey88

>.<" I like the book seven novel's front page image.... Why didn't I go learn Japanese (regretting now... T_T)

Are there only 13 chapters??? How's the first movie? any idea where I can get them thru the net?? Buying it in M'sia is hard. I don't know where to get them. (They're usually extinct in the shops i go to). And I cannot purchase online too!
Old 2006-09-27, 05:25   Link #57
Audrey88

Then again, I found a solution! XD
Old 2006-12-29, 14:53   Link #58
zerograde

New movie

I read some news in Newtype about a new Kino movie in the works. I also found a web page with some screen shots and a short clip among 2 other previews, one of them being a Shana movie. http://www.dengekibunko-movie.com/
zerograde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 03:22   Link #59
Lost

Yes, theres a thread for the movie here.
Old 2007-02-04, 01:26   Link #60
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I finally got around to watching Kino no Tabi, after hearing it compared to Mushishi.

Overall, while I feel that it's certainly a thoughtful series, I'm sad to say that it didn't engage me emotionally as much as Mushishi did.

Hard to say why. It's possibly because the situations presented -- and the philosophical issues raised -- in Mushishi tend to be more "realistic", whereas the situations in Kino no Tabi tend to be more hypothetical in nature. As presented, countries, such as those featured in episode 12, come across so much as caricatures of real-life justifications for war, that it's difficult for me to empathise with any of the characters.

(All three countries featured in episode 12 are morally bankcrupt. It's hard to imagine any society that would act the way they did in real-life. That Kino chose not to openly condemn their behaviour -- the same way she did in the Colisseum arc -- doesn't make me very sympathetic about her character, but I do respect her position of neutrality as a passer-by, I guess.)

The Colisseum arc bored me. I don't know why. But my favourite episodes include episodes 13, 8 (the one with Nimya) and the episode with the three men on the railroad. Episode 2 was also very good because of the moral questions Kino was forced to ponder.

It's an interesting series to watch, particularly if you like to think about the issues raised during the show, but I'd prefer Mushishi to Kino no Tabi anytime.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, shounen