AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-05, 13:17   Link #1
apr
Pedestrian

School Rumble (First Season discussion only)

Another show I managed to bring myself to watch, luckily.

What is this? you ask curiously.

Well, it's basically a comedy show about a high school girl (Tenma) with a crush on Distinguished Guy, who _finally_ gets in the same class as him, only to hear he's going to transfer in a couple of days. Disheartened she decides to write him a letter (more like a novel) confessing her love, but forgets to sign it. Still, she gets a surprise the next day at school.

At the same time, we have Tough Guy who is in love with Tenma and begs his way into her class. Um. He has a goatee and a motorcycle and he beats people up a lot. So. This sets us up for a humorous love triangle.

Very funny episode, with a visit from Initial D during a bicycle ride to school. Cute girls.

Last edited by apr; 2004-10-05 at 17:47.
Old 2004-10-05, 16:59   Link #2
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr
Another show I managed to bring myself to watch, luckily.

What is this? you ask curiously.

Well, it's basically a comedy show about a high school girl (Tenba?) with a crush on Distinguished Guy, who _finally_ gets in the same class as him, only to hear he's going to transfer in a couple of days. Disheartened she decides to write him a letter (more like a novel) confessing her love, but forgets to sign it. Still, she gets a surprise the next day at school.

At the same time, we have Tough Guy who is in love with Tenba and begs his way into her class. Um. He has a goatee and a motorcycle and he beats people up a lot. So. This sets us up for a humorous love triangle.

Very funny episode, with a visit from Initial D during a bicycle ride to school. Cute girls.

So is the anime 12 min or 24 min-ish episodes? The manga (at least the few volumes I've read) are like really short vignette type things, sometimes a chapter is only 10 or so pages.
Old 2004-10-05, 17:14   Link #3
_yeah
poseur

Neither, actually. 3 episodes a showing. Around... 7 minutes an episode.
Old 2004-10-05, 19:13   Link #4
H times H

Is it just me, or the drawing style really resembles Azumanga Daioh?
Old 2004-10-05, 19:40   Link #5
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H times H
I got that vibe in some parts, and in others not at all...

Overall, I really like this series so far. Hopefully whoever subs it does a good job.
Old 2004-10-05, 20:32   Link #6
LynnieS

Quote:
There's a chibi feel to the whole thing - the mini episodes per airing also helps in the resemblance, IMHO - and I was surprised by the amount of comedy the first episode had, especially with the bishoujo shots of the girls in the ED. Given its timeslot (18:00), it shouldn't have been, I suppose.

A good show that's high on my to-watch/to-save list of the new series.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2004-10-05, 21:31   Link #7
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Only in the chibi parts, I think.
I'm definitely going to follow this series closely. ^_^
Old 2004-10-05, 21:58   Link #8
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

The manga is pretty good so I'll give this series a try.

I'm actually hoping to hear the famous (or maybe infamous) "Oneesan Power!" line or however it goes. ^^
Old 2004-10-05, 22:23   Link #9
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I finally got a chance to watch the raw of this and it's great!! I love this anime! hehe. It's like a little bit of TnK, Asumanga Diaoh, Fruits Basket and a bunch of other love comedies. I'm really gonna like this one. Can't wait for it to be subbed.
Old 2004-10-06, 01:19   Link #10
truce

i've been looking forward to the anime version for a while now, and i just watched the raw. i thought the manga was funnier, somehow.. i guess the voices and animation took away from the imagination, haha.
Old 2004-10-07, 03:09   Link #11
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Omg this show is so hilarious, I cannot stop laughing. Specially when Tenma were writing love letter, that's the longest love letter I ever seen. And then the biking part where Tenma chasing Karasuma and Harima chasing Tenma. There were an Initial D moment too. XD

Gosh this is the kind of show I really love. Definitely one of my favorite this season. ^^

Spoiler for screenshots ep 1:
Old 2004-10-07, 07:17   Link #12
Sakai
libro de mi padre

I enjoyed the 1st episode.
The other part I liked was "Sonko's Essay". XD
Old 2004-10-07, 07:30   Link #13
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

Yup. This is one likable show.
Soo funny

I also read the manga.
So I hope they'll show more of cute Yakumo.

Love this show.
Kinda like Azumanga all over again.
Old 2004-10-07, 09:15   Link #14
fairx
I'mdafootfuckin'masta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca

Omg this show is so hilarious, I cannot stop laughing. Specially when Tenma were writing love letter, that's the longest love letter I ever seen. And then the biking part where Tenma chasing Karasuma and Harima chasing Tenma. There were an Initial D moment too. XD

Gosh this is the kind of show I really love. Definitely one of my favorite this season. ^^

Spoiler for screenshots ep 1:
Hwah..! this show really fit the translation notes intro of dashfansub! GURU GURU..!!!

Its like riding those spinning (around) thing at the fun fair(?).

all those confessions trial & error and the bicycle rides reminds me of KareKano! "Harima-kuuun...!" (tho there are no bicycle part, and KareKano is like a rollercoaster experience.. up and own.. up again and so on).

Great first episode. i never laugh this hard since the first episode of Jubei-Chan 2!

Spoiler:

and gotta LOVE that Initial D parody..!
Old 2004-10-07, 09:18   Link #15
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

lol the Initial D moment is priceless, I was totally stunned when suddenly the music changed
Spoiler:
lol the bicycle race, who's that Karasumaru guy anyway? Martial art master? Superman? Or he just modded the hell out of his bicycle

Oh, and Yakumo-chan is definitely DA BEST!!! We need more Yakumo-chan!!!
Old 2004-10-07, 10:18   Link #16
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Funny shit, Im looking forward to this one.

and guys, get a load of that ending song, simply the best!
Old 2004-10-07, 11:53   Link #17
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
lol the bicycle race, who's that Karasumaru guy anyway? Martial art master? Superman? Or he just modded the hell out of his bicycle
Lol, your're right maybe he's a Superman / Clark Kent type thingy, at first glance he looks just like a boring normal school guy, but sometimes he can be so cool and mysterious, I kinda understand why Tenma like him alot. I'm so rooting for her getting Karasuma's heart. ^^
Old 2004-10-07, 12:07   Link #18
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

As a fan of the manga I was looking forward to this. I thought the first episode was well done, although I'm not too big on choice of seiyuu for Tenma and Harima. It's much easier to tell some of the characters apart now that everything is in color and they have voices. I lose track of who's who all the time in the manga.
Old 2004-10-07, 12:29   Link #19
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I love this series already. I have been in need for something more light-hearted lately. I was surprised the the guy that Tenma-chan likes looks so.....dull. Oh well.
Old 2004-10-07, 12:56   Link #20
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I love this series already. I have been in need for something more light-hearted lately. I was surprised the the guy that Tenma-chan likes looks so.....dull. Oh well.
Wait until you see his umbrella... You'll never see him in the same light again!
Closed Thread