AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-11-25, 16:47   Link #19681
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Rough draft of MGLN Chapter 23 is ready. This was another pleasure to write, as it allowed me to finally put in some scenes that had in my head since near the beginning. Certain fans might be pleased at a particular scene (00-Raiser, RadiantBeam mebbe). ^_^

Previous parts can be found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5455943/..._Nanoha_Crisis

Spoiler for MGLN Crisis Chapter 23: The Bonds We Share:

Last edited by Kaijo; 2009-11-25 at 17:10.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 17:43   Link #19682
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Lastly, I partially had the sigs of 00-Raiser and RadiantBeam in my head as I wrote that particular scene (since Yuuno in that sig looks surprised to be kissed)
Whoo! Wonder sig powers, activate!

Loved it!

... Now I have to actually read the other chapters
Old 2009-11-25, 18:14   Link #19683
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Whoo! Wonder sig powers, activate!

Loved it!

... Now I have to actually read the other chapters
FORM OF
A yuunoha fanfic!

not that I have one to offer...

I've been writing a lot lately but I keep hitting roadblocks D:
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 18:16   Link #19684
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Thing is - i don't understand why should it be darker while you could already play with dark tones in it.

PS. @synaesthetic "They are not evil, they are just selfish stupid bureaucrats" don't work because selfish stupid bureaucrats ARE evil. Also when you "make darker and edgier" it is by definition adding kill-count just for the sake of kill-count and not plot.
Okay, okay, perhaps I misspoke. Everyone assumes Darker and Edgier is a disparaging term these days anyway.

I look at something like this, and I wanted to make some real consequences for things, and seriously in a story like this, I'm kind of fond of heroes being heroic and villains being villainous. The Nineties Anti-Hero trope gets kind of old, and I find sympathetic villains to be tired and overplayed.

Nanoha already fits the role of a classical fantasy hero already. She's a good person with a good heart who fights for good. I've always been a fan of villains who are unabashedly evil--Ali Al-Saachez from Gundam 00 is a great example.

You're overreacting concerning the TSAB. I'm just trying to make them make sense, not turn them into corrupt Strawman Politicals (which canon did a good job of doing itself with the High Council/Regius in season three).

Yuuno should have reported the lost Jewel Seeds to the TSAB; he did not, instead opting to recover them himself. Chrono even said in canon that it was a stupid and dangerous decision.

I can definitely see the agency being more than a little annoyed by this fact.

tl;dr version: You get killed when you die.
Old 2009-11-25, 18:17   Link #19685
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
FORM OF
A yuunoha fanfic!

not that I have one to offer...

I've been writing a lot lately but I keep hitting roadblocks D:
I actually hit a block on Crisis many chapters ago. Best thing I've found in those casis, is just to write something, anything. Even if it's bad stilted dialogue and action. Looking at a blank section turns my mind blank, but once I can fill it with something, it becomes easier to edit and change things.

But I suppose each person has their own ways of dealing with it.^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Okay, okay, perhaps I misspoke. Everyone assumes Darker and Edgier is a disparaging term these days anyway.

I look at something like this, and I wanted to make some real consequences for things, and seriously in a story like this, I'm kind of fond of heroes being heroic and villains being villainous. The Nineties Anti-Hero trope gets kind of old, and I find sympathetic villains to be tired and overplayed.

Nanoha already fits the role of a classical fantasy hero already. She's a good person with a good heart who fights for good. I've always been a fan of villains who are unabashedly evil--Ali Al-Saachez from Gundam 00 is a great example.

You're overreacting concerning the TSAB. I'm just trying to make them make sense, not turn them into corrupt Strawman Politicals (which canon did a good job of doing itself with the High Council/Regius in season three).

Yuuno should have reported the lost Jewel Seeds to the TSAB; he did not, instead opting to recover them himself. Chrono even said in canon that it was a stupid and dangerous decision.

I can definitely see the agency being more than a little annoyed by this fact.

tl;dr version: You get killed when you die.
Well, obviously writing something "dark and edgy" just to be "dark and edgy" is kind of a bad reason. Which is what I believe he's saying. However, I think a better way to put it is not in broad terms. If a particular scene calls for a darker moment because of the plot, then that's fine. Most fics who have these are generally referred to as dark. At least, that's how I like to look at fics; not as a general broad swipe of the brush, but applying the terms to the scenes themselves.

Most "lighter" fandom universes do at least hint at possible bad things, but stray away from them, and it's usually part of the message: Good can triumph if you keep believing and try your best. But on the sliding scale of idealism vs. cynicism, it is plausible for the "real world" to not be so nice, and idealism is okay, but it shouldn't make you blind. This is where it sounds like you are going.

Lastly, as a personal choice, I don't like antagonists to be evil just to be evil. Although psychosis and sociopathy are very real, I at least like to ground things in a real reason. Jail had quite the flair and was entertaining, but I would have liked more of a backstory for him. I actually like conflicts like A's more, where there is moral ambiguity. I could easily see things swinging there, if the knights had been killing people, maybe Nanoha being forced to kill Vita, per se, if she couldn't find a way to peacefully stop her without Vita harming more.

Anyway, random thoughts.
Old 2009-11-25, 18:18   Link #19686
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

If I'm blocked and I try to write it comes out worse than something by stephanie meyer. *shudders*
Old 2009-11-25, 18:22   Link #19687
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Take a shower. That usually kills writer's block for me. That, or actually getting some sleep for once x.x
Old 2009-11-25, 18:40   Link #19688
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Well, obviously writing something "dark and edgy" just to be "dark and edgy" is kind of a bad reason. Which is what I believe he's saying. However, I think a better way to put it is not in broad terms. If a particular scene calls for a darker moment because of the plot, then that's fine. Most fics who have these are generally referred to as dark. At least, that's how I like to look at fics; not as a general broad swipe of the brush, but applying the terms to the scenes themselves.

Most "lighter" fandom universes do at least hint at possible bad things, but stray away from them, and it's usually part of the message: Good can triumph if you keep believing and try your best. But on the sliding scale of idealism vs. cynicism, it is plausible for the "real world" to not be so nice, and idealism is okay, but it shouldn't make you blind. This is where it sounds like you are going.

Lastly, as a personal choice, I don't like antagonists to be evil just to be evil. Although psychosis and sociopathy are very real, I at least like to ground things in a real reason. Jail had quite the flair and was entertaining, but I would have liked more of a backstory for him. I actually like conflicts like A's more, where there is moral ambiguity. I could easily see things swinging there, if the knights had been killing people, maybe Nanoha being forced to kill Vita, per se, if she couldn't find a way to peacefully stop her without Vita harming more.

Anyway, random thoughts.
I dunno. The tone is darker. A lot of wallbangers for me throughout the series are corrected (the TSAB's utterly bizarre behavior for a government agency being a big one). People actually die when they get killed. Beam spam can seriously injure. Precia and Alicia's reasons for being evil are different than in canon, but no less compelling. The Power of Friendship/Love is not as strong.

One of my biggest gripes about lighter series is that in absence of bad stuff happening, characters don't get a whole lot of development. Canon Nanoha hasn't really changed much in the 10 years between season one and the end of season three. One of the biggest reasons Teana is my favorite Nanoha character of all time is because she gets more character development than... pretty much anyone.

Bad stuff happens to Teana. She makes some stupid decisions. More bad stuff happens to her, then some good stuff happens to her. She learns from her mistakes and matures as a character.

Hayate probably got a lot of development too, but we don't see any of it because she goes from Moe Moe Ill Girl in A's to The Ace/Mission Control in StrikerS with no real explanation.

So I suppose I should say, instead of Darker and Edgier, that this is MGLN with the god mode cheat turned off, less hot blood and more character development.
Old 2009-11-25, 19:03   Link #19689
TheShinySword
*Author

Definitely don't say Darker and Edgier, that turns people off right there. That is a term with negative connotation, if it's Darker and Edgier the immediate reaction is "So you're throwing in junk for the purpose of seeming serious?" . The best thing is to let the piece speak for itself without telling people what it's supposed to be.
Old 2009-11-25, 19:05   Link #19690
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
I dunno. The tone is darker. A lot of wallbangers for me throughout the series are corrected (the TSAB's utterly bizarre behavior for a government agency being a big one). People actually die when they get killed. Beam spam can seriously injure. Precia and Alicia's reasons for being evil are different than in canon, but no less compelling. The Power of Friendship/Love is not as strong.
TSAB acting different is certainly plausible, as there is sufficient material to suggest things (Regius/Jail/brain council for starters).

Beam spam, not so sure. Part of magic I saw, that was a mage was capable of using a "stun" setting, as it were, with regard to humanoids. Although Vice blasting the eye of that one girl certainly already indicates a certain danger. But I suppose in an AU, one could simplify magic beams into just pure force beams.

As for dying, I'll repeat one of my most-loved sayings: "No one ever dies in sci-fi." Just because anyone can come back as a clone, or alternate-reality self, or their death was staged to look very real with extreme technology/magic for some reason. Or they come back as some sort of ghost. So I guess death in sci-fi series doesn't have quite the same impact for me.

As a contrast to "real life" series without any sci-fi, like a detective drama, or a historical piece, where death is pretty much final, so has more impact. But it is certainly plausible to kill someone and not do anything to bring any semblance of them back in a sci-fi series. Just saying, for me, death in a sci-fi series has less impact, just because I've been around the block and can see the ways in which something might not be final.

Quote:
One of my biggest gripes about lighter series is that in absence of bad stuff happening, characters don't get a whole lot of development. Canon Nanoha hasn't really changed much in the 10 years between season one and the end of season three. One of the biggest reasons Teana is my favorite Nanoha character of all time is because she gets more character development than... pretty much anyone.
Nanoha overdoing it is a pretty big one. She was out for a couple of years and they weren't even sure she was gonna end up walking again. Fate got abused and whipped up enough that there are scars on her back. Hayate saw her family killed before her eyes. So there are things happening. And it certainly hits the emotional spot when they happen (Hey, I cried watching Hayate's family get whacked in front of her, feeling her pain^^;.

Quote:
Hayate probably got a lot of development too, but we don't see any of it because she goes from Moe Moe Ill Girl in A's to The Ace/Mission Control in StrikerS with no real explanation.
Agree there. We have 10 years, for plenty of room to write things that could change a character's outlook. I suppose it opens up areas for fanfiction, tho.

Quote:
So I suppose I should say, instead of Darker and Edgier, that this is MGLN with the god mode cheat turned off, less hot blood and more character development.
I'd just simple say "MGLN with a more reality-based approach." Not everything is hunky-dory in real life, and not everything works out the way we want them to, no matter how hard we wish. Given the absence of "stun" level magic, Nanoha could be very much forced to kill someone, accidental or not. Like Precia(and/or Alicia), to prevent her from doing something that would harm others. That would be a believable stretch, and force some interesting character development.

But I'd have to disagree that there wasn't much character development in the original series; just different than what you're proposing. It's the whole "escapism vs. realism" debate, I suppose. =)
Old 2009-11-25, 19:23   Link #19691
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Beam spam, not so sure. Part of magic I saw, that was a mage was capable of using a "stun" setting, as it were, with regard to humanoids. Although Vice blasting the eye of that one girl certainly already indicates a certain danger. But I suppose in an AU, one could simplify magic beams into just pure force beams.
I always found the magic in Nanoha a little weird because of this. I mean, Nanoha's Blaster mode Divine Buster can bust through hundreds of armoured walls of an ancient battleship, yet it only knocks out Quattro. Or Hayate's Diabolic Emission, which apparently should have harmed Quattro and Dieci, yet it left all the buildings in tact.

Vice shot his sister in the eye, and that's a pretty vulnerable area regardless, so it's no surprise it damaged her when I assume it was intended to knock the criminal out.

Anyways, it makes more sense in synaesthetic's fic. I mean, just look at Bardiche! That's one nasty looking energy blade it sports! That sucker could definitely slice some one's head off.
Old 2009-11-25, 19:23   Link #19692
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Definitely don't say Darker and Edgier, that turns people off right there. That is a term with negative connotation, if it's Darker and Edgier the immediate reaction is "So you're throwing in junk for the purpose of seeming serious?" . The best thing is to let the piece speak for itself without telling people what it's supposed to be.
I never really considered Darker and Edgier or Lighter and Softer to be negative... just tropes like any other. The can be used or misused accordingly.

But I see where you're coming from.

Quote:
TSAB acting different is certainly plausible, as there is sufficient material to suggest things (Regius/Jail/brain council for starters).
Agreed.

Quote:
"Stun" setting really stretches credibility when you see the very same Wave Motion Gun destroy bridges, reduce buildings to rubble and create enormous craters in the ground--but leave only a few scuff marks on the targeted mage.

Yes, the Barrier Jacket/Knight Armor is a potent defense, along with autoguards, barriers and shielding spells, but if a beam can blast a building apart, it should do the same thing to an unprotected human body.

For instance, Nanoha's CMOA Starlight Breaker on Quattro seriously should have ruined her shit after blasting through several decks of a massive Star Destroyer-sized battleship, but all it did was knock her out.

Quote:
As for dying, I'll repeat one of my most-loved sayings: "No one ever dies in sci-fi." Just because anyone can come back as a clone, or alternate-reality self, or their death was staged to look very real with extreme technology/magic for some reason. Or they come back as some sort of ghost. So I guess death in sci-fi series doesn't have quite the same impact for me.
I've seen plenty of sci-fi where death is final. These tend to be harder on the sci-fi scale, though, and I'll admit freely that Nanoha is definitely squishy sci-fi. But even soft sci-fi can have perma-death if the tone fits or there's horror elements (i.e. System Shock, Dead Space).

Quote:
As a contrast to "real life" series without any sci-fi, like a detective drama, or a historical piece, where death is pretty much final, so has more impact. But it is certainly plausible to kill someone and not do anything to bring any semblance of them back in a sci-fi series. Just saying, for me, death in a sci-fi series has less impact, just because I've been around the block and can see the ways in which something might not be final.
It really depends on the sci-fi in question, I think. And writers can sometimes catch you by surprise, too. I never thought Kamina would bite the big one in TTGL, but not only does it work, it works amazingly well--Simon comes into his own as the main character and gets plenty of development as a result.

Quote:
Nanoha overdoing it is a pretty big one. She was out for a couple of years and they weren't even sure she was gonna end up walking again. Fate got abused and whipped up enough that there are scars on her back. Hayate saw her family killed before her eyes. So there are things happening. And it certainly hits the emotional spot when they happen (Hey, I cried watching Hayate's family get whacked in front of her, feeling her pain^^;.
Nanoha overdoing it was stressed heavily during the training episodes at the beginning of season three, then thrown out the window when Nanoha's in the Cradle whittling her life away with the Blaster System. Bit of a wallbanger there.

Quote:
Agree there. We have 10 years, for plenty of room to write things that could change a character's outlook. I suppose it opens up areas for fanfiction, tho.
FFT needs more Hayate-centric fics.

Quote:
I'd just simple say "MGLN with a more reality-based approach." Not everything is hunky-dory in real life, and not everything works out the way we want them to, no matter how hard we wish. Given the absence of "stun" level magic, Nanoha could be very much forced to kill someone, accidental or not. Like Precia(and/or Alicia), to prevent her from doing something that would harm others. That would be a believable stretch, and force some interesting character development.
That's my goal, but saying "MGLN with realism" gets just as much hate. How many times do I have to say it's an AU before people stop complaining about how I'm not following canon? ^^;
Old 2009-11-25, 19:46   Link #19693
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
I never really considered Darker and Edgier or Lighter and Softer to be negative... just tropes like any other. The can be used or misused accordingly.

But I see where you're coming from.
I'm just giving you a bit of advice you can see what calling it Darker and Edgier got you.

Trope or not the point is about the term not the trope. The trope can be used or misused, the term should never ever be used. It just sounds stupid (the term not the trope).

Quote:
That's my goal, but saying "MGLN with realism" gets just as much hate. How many times do I have to say it's an AU before people stop complaining about how I'm not following canon? ^^;
Exactly why you shouldn't call it anything.
Old 2009-11-25, 20:00   Link #19694
Kaijo
Banned

We agree on most stuff, so just gonna hit a couple of points.

Quote:
"Stun" setting really stretches credibility when you see the very same Wave Motion Gun destroy bridges, reduce buildings to rubble and create enormous craters in the ground--but leave only a few scuff marks on the targeted mage.
I just see that as it being magic. A mage being able to mentally set "okay, this will hit inorganic things in this way, and stun humanoids." And being able to do it differently with the same spell, depending on situation; all set up as part of the "casting prep time." But it's only my own rationalization theory. :P
Quote:
Nanoha overdoing it was stressed heavily during the training episodes at the beginning of season three, then thrown out the window when Nanoha's in the Cradle whittling her life away with the Blaster System. Bit of a wallbanger there.
This goes back to what Signum said in that meeting with the forwards. "There are times when overdoing it is acceptable." Nanoha overdoing it in Seasons 1 and 2 were acceptable, but after that, she should have taken it easy to allow her body to recover. The enemy that did her in, was a weak one. She didn't tell her friends that she had been stretching things, and it went too far.

That was Tea's whole problem: she was overdoing it in places where she shouldn't have been, in a desperate attempt to prove herself.

So the overdoing it in the Cradle was understandable and acceptable.
Quote:
FFT needs more Hayate-centric fics.
Hmm, I'll consider this, and see if I can come up with a few. It's hard to make decent ones since she's a squishy artillery piece.
Quote:
Don't worry, I think we all understand. Part of this is just in response to the guy who was harpin' on ya. I think we all understand that it's AU, and beam spam can have serious consequences if there's only one real setting (and it is believable that it does; my own theory is just a rationalization for the spells in the show).

But in agreement with Shiny, I'd say just don't focus so much on calling it dark or whatever. Just call it an AU, and say it'll take what you consider a more realistic track. I don't know how you plan to describe it for a synopsis, but something to the effect of "This Nanoha is learning that the world of magic can be a harsh teacher."

Anyway, just pre-fic food for thought. Hope it turns out well.^^
Old 2009-11-25, 20:18   Link #19695
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
1. Alt!Alicia (clone or real...) = Possible romance with Alt!Nanoha?
2. Fate would not cheat on Nanoha (at least that's what I got with Fate's personality in the story...)
3. Fate has to return home! D:

*flails*

Sorry...I had just finished NyAmCo's (?) updated fic (angst/tragedy) before I read your new addition to ch. 5 and I'm officially in a very negative mood... I REALLY don't want to get my hopes up....

But I'm still enjoying the story.

EDIT: Page claim for...uh...new updates?
Yeah I just finally caught up on that chapter Avalon. May be roughly translated from spanish but its still got the point across. I had to quit reading anything else for a little bit since I was also in a little bit of a negative mood lol.

As far as AlternativeS goes, the idea is very good and the flow so far has been relatively smooth, a few bumps here and there, but no one gets it perfect during their first shot, that's why we are here for help and advice from others. I don't know if I should consider myself fortunate that I get to skip all the forum chatter to tell you my opinions, Satashi or unfortunate since I have no means of shielding myself from when we start blasting each other over story plots, flow, presentation, and which side of Nanoha's wheelchair Raising Heart's control orb is XD But like everyone else, we are all here to help each other out so why not Listen every once in a while eh?

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 20:28   Link #19696
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I am still highly amused that both 00-Raiser and I pointed to the same exact example for the problems with beam spam.
Old 2009-11-25, 20:41   Link #19697
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I love the flexibility of all that magic. I can choose to kill people or just stun them with the same spell. To hell if that doesn't seem like reality! Magic and ESP are the same; its all about rejecting reality and substituting your own!
Old 2009-11-25, 20:43   Link #19698
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
@Nanya
Sorry, been away for a while so I have major backlog...We need more Teela/Teana action! And Erio and Caro, because we haven't seen them for a while...that help?

Nice chapter, I enjoyed Fate and Nanoha playing with their kids, and how they don't discriminate at all between them!
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 20:46   Link #19699
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I love the flexibility of all that magic. I can choose to kill people or just stun them with the same spell. To hell if that doesn't seem like reality! Magic and ESP are the same; its all about rejecting reality and substituting your own!
Except in MGLN, magic isn't magic, it's technology. Magic A is Magic A.

Setting phasers Devices to stun shouldn't raze the cityscape as a result.
Old 2009-11-25, 20:50   Link #19700
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Except in MGLN, magic isn't magic, it's technology. Magic A is Magic A.

Setting phasers Devices to stun shouldn't raze the cityscape as a result.
Well, that's your interpretation. While there's nothing wrong with holding that view, as long as long canon continues to reject convention wisdom, I don't see why I shouldn't do so too.

I've even gone as far as making "I'll reject your reality and substitute my own!" as my OC's trademark line. ^^;;;

But as before, it's your fic, do what you will with it.

Edit: In the Name of the Kaiser, I claim this page for rejecting reality! >=3

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha