AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-06-24, 23:20   Link #801
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
t's been such a long time that I'd forgotten most of it. So... I've gone and watched all 45 episodes of it again.
First of all. Wow, nice, that's commitment to the cause

I guess many of your points boil down to the fact that 12 kingdoms is a plot oriented series, while Bookworm is a character oriented series. Like you say, it does boil down to the plot happening to the characters, or the characters happening to the plot. Plot oriented isekai is something we don't see much in the current decade's since many of them are centered on the idealization of 'what would happen if I could escape to a different world and start over'. Bookworm is much more mature about it than the average isekai series by not just being a big self fullfillment wish, but it is still a character centered series, which is not good or bad, it is what it is. In contrast 12 kingdoms and many of the Isekais we saw in the past decade (Escaflowne, Magic knight rayearth was a little more balanced but still) where much more about a big overarching plot and the characters being vehicles through which we explored the plot.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-25, 05:04   Link #802
Zefyris
図書館狼

that being said, he seems to be comparing the world building of the bookworm novels to the world building of the 12 kingdoms anime, but in tons of anime adaptation, the first thing they cut to fit the story in X episodes is the world building; so world building is very difficult to judge with just an anime when there's a written source material.
Not even counting that the source material continues thereafter the end of the anime and can keep developing the worldbuilding.

I'll give an example with Mondaiji, it's actually the story that uses the most its "isekai" element amongst what I've read. However, it's only using it way after the end of the anime. So no need to re-watch the 10 episodes of the series you won't find anything there ;o.
Old 2020-06-25, 11:55   Link #803
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I guess many of your points boil down to the fact that 12 kingdoms is a plot oriented series, while Bookworm is a character oriented series.
Everything (that matters) is a character oriented series. Characters drive plot is the usually accepted writing principle. But I do see where you're going with this: "More about the world as a character then the characters individual personalities" I think that's a fair. Like I've said several times in my pervious post I don't consider it a bad series, in fact I consider people should go see it, just the comparison is apples to oranges.

Personally I like to think I dont favor one over the other, but I guess I do have a soft spot for character-heavy shows over plot heavy shows these days (at least when cast is sub par on the plot heavy one). Not that I tolerate no plot at all; just cliffhanger, build kingdom & save-the-world fatigue TBH (if we're talking isekais). It's hard to get disappointed by shows like My Next Life as a Villainess, Princess Connect (and Hachinan counts too I guess) where plot expectations (and development) are just set to as low as they can go and everything is pumped into character development and diversity. That said discovery writing style (ie. the author just writes with out a plan), which is what most of these have, doesn't do a story any favors for me; but that's just personal preference.

Will be interesting where Mushoku Tensei falls in next year. It should be character focused from what I remember reading of it.
Old 2020-06-25, 14:28   Link #804
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I don't consider it a bad series, in fact I consider people should go see it, just the comparison is apples to oranges.
I think nobody has considered it otherwise. Not even me.

I was just comparing one aspect from two shows (12K & Honzuki) and then you just ran off with your "essay" that calls my comment as one big lie (which it's not).
Old 2020-06-27, 21:33   Link #805
Alchemist007
*Author

I liked the mercantry in this show, the magic/religious/political stuff less so but at least the head priest was a decent enough character in the midst of all that.

7/10 for this season.
Old 2020-07-03, 23:08   Link #806
X207
Gamyūsa

this literally was the best anime this season and last season for isekai series for me. yeah its not an action packed fantasy series but i didnt require that to be true to enjoy the series so much.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 09:13   Link #807
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

YAYYYY another cour!
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-06, 03:56   Link #808
Huh...?

Unconfirmed Rumor of Season 4 under production, and animated by "WIT STUDIO".
https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status...61518606258267

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-06, 22:17   Link #809
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Sounds pretty confirmed to me:

Ascendance of a Bookworm Light Novels Get More Anime by WIT Studio
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-14, 19:58   Link #810
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Thats great news. Enjoyed the show a lot.