AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-04-10, 19:38   Link #1
Knuckles

Question Japanese music in Europe/USA

I was thinking, is there a market for japanese music in europe and USA?
Like in my country, the only way to buy it is of the internet.
Now I know japanese music is somewhat influenced by western music but
probably/definitely not the otherway around.
Actually, I sometimes think I am listening to european music when I have
Serial Ex. Lain on. (maybe they are European and I do not know it )

I think the biggest problem is the language rather than the distance (or maybe
they do not want to be a part of larger market?), but it always posible to sing
in english, like Maaya Sakamoto has sometimes done and many european groups do.
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 20:33   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

There's a new label called Tofu Records that's importing Japanese music. I hope they bring out some Maaya Sakamoto and Matsu Takako
Old 2004-04-10, 20:38   Link #3
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
From what I have seen, (in the USA) some of the anime distributors sell a few Japanese cds but mostly anime related ones. But I haven't seen any in the "mainstream" music stores. I have gotten all my Japanese cds from CD Japan, a internet store in based in Tokyo.

On the Japanese side when I was in Japan there were many cds from other countries in just about any music store I went into. (except for the anime stores).
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 20:44   Link #4
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
On Europe, Mabell is starting to release European version of Visual Kei bands... I have a topic about that here... shearch for it.
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 00:45   Link #5
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Like I said in an earlier post in a less eloquent way, TOFU Records is bad for Japanese music in america. What they're doing is marketing it based on anime standards instead of 'multicultural' standards, like spanish music. The media doesn't help as well, because asians are a minority in the media and public eye. (I don't care what people say - entertainment business is white business)

Several of the other Jpop boards I frequent have hatred for anime fans. Well, hatred is a strong word... but anime music is not an accurate representation of Jpop. Most of your favorite anime singers are not that popular outside of anime circles. Most of the more popular Jpop singers to me are people anime music fans have never heard of. And if they have, its because they did an opening theme. I've heard songs before that I liked and didn't know that they were an anime theme until later. It was just Jpop to me. And that's the way they should market it. Jpop is Jpop. If it was used in an anime, then added exposure to it. But don't make the two together.

The thing is, unlike Spanish music, Japanese music would have to have translations. Most of the people I know don't like music unless they know what they're saying. A pioneer cd I bought... err... I forgot her name... Yoko Ishida? Anyway, it had the translations and that was good. Too bad the music couldn't back it up. But the so called 'BEST' of X Japan from Tofu Records had nothing. WTF?! That's like releasing an anime dvd without a subtitle track outside of the dub!

The Jpop cd was weak in my opinion. It either had anime sounding tracks, or tracks from amazing artists that weren't their best work. Before Jpop cd, there was that Made in Japan (was that the name?) from Sony Records... It had some decent tracks, but mostly from artists I had never heard of, and judging from the samples on the website, it wasn't worth it for just 2-3 songs... They even included a 'B-side' from a Buriguri single. O.o;; That cd was going for the artistic lover music crowd... And I still don't like Tofu using T.M. Revolution as thier ship to make Jpop popular in america. He's good, but not that good.

What will make Jpop popular here? I really don't know. Let me take that entertainment business course in the fall and I might be able to come up with a better plan. Of course, the easiest and hardest way would be to make it like spanish, which is a pretty much accepted language here, even if you don't understand it. The way would be having an artist do a mishmash of english and Japanese. I believe... umm... sheesh... From Ruff Ryders (?) a Chinese rapper blended english and Chinese.... I dunno how it turned out though... I don't particulary care for hip-hop much.
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 01:32   Link #6
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

J-Rock has been getting more popular here.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 02:10   Link #7
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
J-Rock has been getting more popular here.

In America? What evidence do you have?
Old 2004-04-11, 02:14   Link #8
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Do people not remember the Matador releases of Pizzicato Five? P5 had a witty and up-to-date sound, and they were marketed as a Japanese group making great and "cool" music. I was able to get some of their best albums for nice domestic prices. Readymade Records labelmates Fantastic Plastic Machine also were released in the US by a different label (Emperor Norton), but treated the same way - on the basis of their music.

Puffy toured the States a couple of years ago and has put out a greatest hits album as well as some of their latest music; a TV show is coming soon. I used to like them a lot but they are getting stale. It's OK by me if they do well, but they seem to be going for more of a "novelty act" thing now, and singing in English, which is kind of boring...

I listen to jpop for what it is, and I don't put it past other people to do the same. People who like these groups don't care if they can't understand the lyrics to everything.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 08:34   Link #9
Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki Nozomi
Like I said in an earlier post in a less eloquent way, TOFU Records is bad for Japanese music in america. What they're doing is marketing it based on anime standards instead of 'multicultural' standards, like spanish music. The media doesn't help as well, because asians are a minority in the media and public eye. (I don't care what people say - entertainment business is white business)

Several of the other Jpop boards I frequent have hatred for anime fans. Well, hatred is a strong word... but anime music is not an accurate representation of Jpop. Most of your favorite anime singers are not that popular outside of anime circles. Most of the more popular Jpop singers to me are people anime music fans have never heard of. And if they have, its because they did an opening theme. I've heard songs before that I liked and didn't know that they were an anime theme until later. It was just Jpop to me. And that's the way they should market it. Jpop is Jpop. If it was used in an anime, then added exposure to it. But don't make the two together.
I agree, I think that for Jpop to be mainstream they should seperate it from
anime music. And also for it to be played on the radio, it needs to be in english
to sneak it in without making it obvius that it is japanese.
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 11:19   Link #10
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
In America? What evidence do you have?
There were recently two different J-pop music specials up here in canada. Although I missed both of them so I dunno what they played.

Apparently MuchMoreMusic gets alot of requests for J-pop.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 12:55   Link #11
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

I listen usually to jpop that is mostly from anime. For me to really like something it has to be from something. I don't have time to go about listening to any old jpop/jrock artist when i have no idea who they are or what they've done.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 17:57   Link #12
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Dr. Who2002 - You miss out on allot... although I suppose if you've never heard it, you're not missing out on anything....

JAppi - Really? That's cool. They could never do that here. If they did, they would dub it over with racist jokes and 'asian' voices (like they've done most Japanese shows I've seen here except for 'Iron Chef') or play it in the original language and then make fun of it. At least, I'm coming from my perspective, which is straight in the heart of Texas. When that "t.A.t.U.' "All the things she said" was out, our radio station played the russian version for the sheer purpose of mocking their language and culture. When William Hung became popular, they did the same.

Super Fly Edit 01~

BET betta watch their backs... or ass... whatever the lingo is... I'm so not down wit dat shiznit... :P

http://www.imaginasiantv.com/

Looks like we're going to get an asian music/tv channel. F-cking finally. I've only been jealous of Californians and Hawaiians all my life. Although I'm four months shy of being able to be a host... Damn it! And then watch my cable provider not get it. Just watch. XP

Last edited by Chiaki Nozomi; 2004-04-11 at 18:13.
Old 2004-04-11, 23:13   Link #13
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Dr. Who2002 - You miss out on allot... although I suppose if you've never heard it, you're not missing out on anything....

JAppi - Really? That's cool. They could never do that here. If they did, they would dub it over with racist jokes and 'asian' voices (like they've done most Japanese shows I've seen here except for 'Iron Chef') or play it in the original language and then make fun of it.

That is probably because if you check out the credits for Iron Chef, it is dubbed in Japan, before the Food channel gets it.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote