AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-12-07, 01:10   Link #121
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Chrome has too many annoying bits for me to tolerate it on a full size laptop or desktop (such as Ctrl+I not enabling italics on vBulletin sites like animesuki).

However, I do quite like it on netbooks and other ultraportables. The UX design of Chrome is very friendly to the typical 1024x600 resolution of the 10" class of laptops.
Old 2010-12-16, 08:27   Link #122
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Say hello to Opera 11 Build 1156 Final.

Spoiler for changelog:

I'll try this out in a couple minutes, I just hope they managed to iron out the issues that plagued the pre-10.70 builds. I'm still swinging between 10.54 and 10.63 and always returning to 10.54 after experiencing the same crashes that always seem to come out of nowhere (happens when I'm opening a certain page or when the browser is idle and I'm on a different program window).

Big innovation here is, of course, the extension platform. I will wait a bit until some of them appear and a good amount of feedback is offered. Then I'll start experimenting with them, slowly but surely. Chi va piano va sano, eh?

Last edited by Renegade334; 2010-12-16 at 08:42.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 09:26   Link #123
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Opera 11 is stable for me.

I hope they continue to improve the address field. Things like clickable segments would be nice.
Old 2010-12-16, 11:37   Link #124
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, 11.0 seems a bit snappier compared to either 10.54 (last stable 10.5x+ build for me) or 10.63, probably due to the improvements in the rendering and JavaScript engine that should've been implemented in the stillborn 10.70...

Right now it looks like a keeper but then again, that was the first verdict I issued when I upgraded to 10.63. I'll probably let the NoScript extension alone for a while - I don't think I've heard stellar reviews about that incarnation; maybe I should give it some time. I wonder if there is a decent equivalent of either "Embedded Objects" or "AdBlock Plus" - those are the two FF addons I'd really like to see ported to Opera (yes, just those two - I'm kind of a minimalist user) and still retain the same efficiency (Opera allows me to block ads and even elements from sites either manually or with the "Block Content" click but then again it doesn't hurt to have an additional avenue to pursue the fight against ads).

On the other hand, I'm starting to lose my patience with FFox - it's supposed to run faster but it seems to drag more and more with every passing build (just upped to 3.6.13). I've got Yahoo! as homepage and loading it on startup seems to take too much time...even longer than IE8 - and that's saying something.
Old 2010-12-16, 14:14   Link #125
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
On the other hand, I'm starting to lose my patience with FFox - it's supposed to run faster but it seems to drag more and more with every passing build (just upped to 3.6.13). I've got Yahoo! as homepage and loading it on startup seems to take too much time...even longer than IE8 - and that's saying something.
Do you have the "yahoo application state plugin" installed? If yes try disabling it.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 15:26   Link #126
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Do you have the "yahoo application state plugin" installed? If yes try disabling it.
He said he's minimalistic...
Old 2010-12-16, 15:48   Link #127
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You're right, I have never even heard about that plugin. XD

Now, to be fair with FFOX, this only happens half of the time - in fact, it seems to load half of the page in a reasonable amount of time (not slim enough to deserve dithyrambic comments, though), but it seems to lag for the remainder...a rare occurrence when using IE8 or Opera.

Anyway, I'm only using FFox when either IE8 or Opera fail to correctly render a page, which doesn't happen often. Otherwise, I only use it because I can use the "Embedded Objects" add-on to extract videos or whatever (assuming I can't manually dig it out from the page's source code).

Aside from these few perks, I've all but forsaken FF (it also had the nasty habit of causing my wireless antenna to disconnect whenever I loaded a page with Flash or Shockwave content - though Opera seemed immune to that - but I've recently changed the antenna driver, so I don't know if the problem went away on its own and FFox was blameless in the first place).

Ain't tried either Safari or Chrome, I'm content enough with my three-browser arrangement as it is.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2010-12-16 at 15:58.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 16:42   Link #128
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Anyway, I'm only using FFox when either IE8 or Opera fail to correctly render a page
The first thing that comes to mind when you mentioned your problem was it's a cache issue (FF doesn't have it cached), however you said IE (another browser you probably don't use) works perfectly, which shot down that theory. However if you go to IE first, then FF, it's plausible it's a cache issue.
Old 2010-12-16, 16:57   Link #129
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The first thing that comes to mind when you mentioned your problem was it's a cache issue (FF doesn't have it cached), however you said IE (another browser you probably don't use) works perfectly, which shot down that theory. However if you go to IE first, then FF, it's plausible it's a cache issue.
It's quite plausible since I configure all my browsers to dump the contents of their caches during shutdown. Whereas IE8 takes some sweet time just to get itself started, it loads pages in an a-okay margin, FF seems to have that annoying "load by half then wait for some time" issue (I thought that Yahoo! image server was a bit overworked and thus dragged along, but since that doesn't happen on either Opera or IE, all possible explanations remain valid).

It should be noted that this behavior is variable - it doesn't happen all the time. It's a bit sad that my user experience with FFox gets constantly worse with each recent build, most notably ever since they ventured into the 3.5+ range. 2.0+ and 3.0+ were okay but now there's that lag...non-issue since FFox is no longer my main browser and I can live with these problems (Opera 10.63 was more annoying - since I had to face crashes). I've almost become fully committed to Opera and use IE whenver I access a site that explicitly requires it due to code tailoring (Microsoft sites, home-banking). Besides, once I've cached most page files, the lag issue disappears so there's nothing to complain about anymore.
Old 2010-12-16, 17:22   Link #130
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

2.x was the last true good series. I'll hold out on statements for 4.x but it's not looking that good thus far. It sure is going though a lot of betas, it's at what 7 now? Opera nightly builds are more stable then that...
Old 2010-12-16, 20:17   Link #131
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, IE9 has seven Platform Previews (granted, those are only for developers and not the general public - which is why Microsoft didn't bother giving them the "full" UI - but still) out, plus Beta #1 (which came between PP5 and PP6) and a yet to be released Beta #2. Opera also displayed a similar behavior with 10.X's large number of alphas and betas - not to discount the RCs (which would sometimes be re-tagged as RTMs because the Opera Team thought there was no need to compile a new build just so that it could proudly carry the word "final").

Speaking of Opera, 11.0 hasn't crashed on me yet, which is an excellent performance in my book (hope I just didn't jinx myself here ) after all the nonsense 10.63 put me through...and I'm absolutely loving the new tab-stacking feature (just drag one tab on top of the other to stack them). I sometimes tend to open a dozen tabs while checking a single page's links and this will allow me to regroup them. I believe it might be a bit more practical than Firefox 4's projected whatchamacallit tab management window.
Old 2010-12-17, 07:30   Link #132
Sides

Quote:
Still you never know, i mean i didn't know it was installed on my machine, until i look at what plugins are active and installed automatically.

List of problematic plugin list
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 10:25   Link #133
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Still you never know, i mean i didn't know it was installed on my machine, until i look at what plugins are active and installed automatically.

List of problematic plugin list
Always choose "Custom" whenever installing any program.
Old 2011-01-11, 20:41   Link #134
monster

Apparently, Google just announced that they will be removing H.264 support in future versions of Chrome. I don't really care since I don't use Chrome, but I hope Google won't stop providing H.264-encoded videos as an option in Youtube.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 20:48   Link #135
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

I use internet explorer on my desktop simply because I'm used to clicking on it now, haha. I have Firefox and Chrome installed too, though. I sometimes use firefox, but haven't much lately. On my netbook, however, it's Chrome all the time.
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 03:00   Link #136
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Apparently, Google just announced that they will be removing H.264 support in future versions of Chrome.
What exactly was their "h264 support" doing anyway? Could Chrome open video files?
Old 2011-01-12, 03:27   Link #137
monster

Quote:
What exactly was their "h264 support" doing anyway? Could Chrome open video files?
I think it's playback support for H.264-encoded video within an HTML5 video element.
Old 2011-01-12, 03:38   Link #138
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I think it's playback support for H.264-encoded video within an HTML5 video element.
Ah, I see.
Old 2011-01-12, 05:53   Link #139
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Apparently Google wasn't too keen on tackling potential patent issues that would come with h.264 support and opted to support WebM (VP8) and Theora instead, which in their opinion, are far more open - though one might argue they are less performant than h.264, but that's a debate for another sub-forum, I believe. Flash (which uses h.264) support will remain, though.

As it stands now, I think IE8/9 is the only in-dev browser with h.264 support...

Other browser news I caught lately was that MS was tailoring IE9 Beta to take advantage of AMD's new Fusion CPU/GPU combo (otherwise called as APU - Accelerated Processing Unit) in order to deliver better, faster graphics and page rendering on-screen...right in time for the release candidate, which should be released quite soon ("early 2011").
Old 2011-01-12, 09:48   Link #140
monster

Quote:
As it stands now, I think IE8/9 is the only in-dev browser with h.264 support...
What about Apple Safari?

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews