AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-26, 15:39   Link #2021
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Some nice theories are being thrown around in here i like it.

Its been a while since we saw some serious action which is why i loved "Bad Move"Seeing the Glacies Rocket Vanship Firepower was stunning too bad Ades new Rapid Fire cannons cut most of them to shreds. However watching how the cannons operate i see a fatal flaw but it just might be because of the camera angle's.

Can someone confirm for me if the Rapid Fire turrets on the top and bottom can rotate 360 degrees?
Old 2012-01-26, 15:52   Link #2022
leokiko

http://thecartdriver.com/fam-is-a-gi...#comment-26347

^Fun read. Pretty much my thoughts: LE Fam has great battles, politics and Millia. But there has to be Fam there
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 16:42   Link #2023
Joachim1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Can someone confirm for me if the Rapid Fire turrets on the top and bottom can rotate 360 degrees?
I don't know for sure, but I think they cannot. They had to move the fleet into a certain formation to concentrate the firepower of the rapid fire anti-vanship weapons.
Joachim1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 16:53   Link #2024
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
However watching how the cannons operate i see a fatal flaw but it just might be because of the camera angle's.

The rapid fire turrets look like they're locked into a linear slot, meaning they can turn at most 180 degrees along one axis. The way the animation was handled also made it look like they can only aim at two specific angles in that arc, though that would be a bizarre limitation. In either case, they don't seem to have hemispherical rotation. Then again, we know from episode 7 that the system was specifically designed against the Glacies fighters, and it didn't function that well against the sky pirate ships. It leaves the question of why they would design such a limited system and install it on so many ships, but it would explain why they are so limited.

On a completely unrelated note, a personal ranking of the 1337 (or not) skillz of prominent pilots we've seen so far:

1. Dio: Toys with Claus and more or less can ignore Tatiana. His weakness is his arrogance, but even with that problem, he was neck to neck with Claus in a race. Power level over 9000 claudia.

2. Tatiana/Claus: Tatiana definitely started better, but as Claus got more experience around the Sylvana, he was able to hold his own. Claus seems quite good at maneuvering his vanship around, but Tatiana remains better at dogfights.

3. Fam: Have we seen anything impressive from her other than flying alongside warships that didn't even notice her tiny air scooter? I guess there's the race, but it was mostly the clever use of the hook.
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 16:57   Link #2025
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim1167 View Post
I don't know for sure, but I think they cannot. They had to move the fleet into a certain formation to concentrate the firepower of the rapid fire anti-vanship weapons.
Thank you im at work so i cant watch the episode till i get home to see.

But if you are right that means that these new weapons are useless against flanking attackis and attacks from the rear. The formations they moved into formed a box much like the formation used by the US in the war over Europe in WWII. The B-17's would use a kill box formation to protect each other, any enemy fighters in the kill box would be shot at from multiple gunners.

It seems Ades's formation was concentrated solely on the fighters attacking from the front, above and below. Which was the right tactic for battling Glacies's Rocket Vanships. However now that these weapons have been used i doubt such tactics will work again.

If a handful of Rocket Vanships or say a ship like the Silivus or Silvana were to attack from the rear it would decimate the fleet. If a ship like the Urbanus were to attack from the flank it would cut the outlining ships to shreds forcing them to possibly collide with the midrow ships.

Its obvious that this design was only conceived to counter Glacies Fighters and nothing else. Again im just speculating but i think we all know what im getting at.
Old 2012-01-26, 17:07   Link #2026
Joachim1167

Quote:
Its obvious that this design was only conceived to counter Glacies Fighters and nothing else. Again im just speculating but i think we all know what im getting at.
Agreed. If Dian got Fam's warning 5 minutes earlier, I think the Feds would have been screwed.
Old 2012-01-26, 17:11   Link #2027
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
It's not just speculation. Ades tested the weapon system against the sky pirates back in episode 7. It didn't work nearly as well against the pirate vanships as against the Glacies rocket fighters. Orang's aid even commented that it wasn't a good test of the system, because the pirate ships were so slow compared to Glacies rocket fighters. It's probably not only the speed but also the angle of attack, as the placement and angles of the guns suggest.
Old 2012-01-26, 17:28   Link #2028
Joachim1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
3. Fam: Have we seen anything impressive from her other than flying alongside warships that didn't even notice her tiny air scooter? I guess there's the race, but it was mostly the clever use of the hook.
That ability to not be noticed may be her strength.

I agree that Fam doesn't have the maneuvering skills that Dio, Claus, and Tatiana has, but then again she is a Sky Pirate (who's main targets are large, lumbering capital ships). Stealth and ambush is probably more important in her line of work than balls-to-the-wall combat maneuvering - and was probably trained accordingly. From a military point of view, I think Fam would make a good pilot for ground attack, night intruder, or counter-insurgency work. Helps that nobody notices you until you're actually on your attack run.

Also, flying around inside a battleship is pretty impressive.

Last edited by Joachim1167; 2012-01-26 at 18:27.
Old 2012-01-26, 17:33   Link #2029
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
It's not just speculation. Ades tested the weapon system against the sky pirates back in episode 7. It didn't work nearly as well against the pirate vanships as against the Glacies rocket fighters. Orang's aid even commented that it wasn't a good test of the system, because the pirate ships were so slow compared to Glacies rocket fighters. It's probably not only the speed but also the angle of attack, as the placement and angles of the guns suggest.
Very true i suspect the reason the Pirates ships avoided a lot of damage was because this system relies on the speed of Glacies ships to be effective. Its not like that cant stop and change direction on a dime if you blanket the sky with enough artillery they are going to fly right into it. All you need to do is open fire in a general direction and the Glacies ships will fly right into the barrage. Its a great idea but flawed in so many ways..

i still dont think it will be very effective from now on.

As for Fam's piloting im not impressed she has not improved her skill at all not like Clause had too. Watching her fly is honestly boring bring back my lovely queen of the sky Titania
Old 2012-01-26, 17:42   Link #2030
leokiko

Can someone please tell me the time this anime airs in Japan?
Old 2012-01-26, 19:40   Link #2031
Joachim1167

Quote:
As for Fam's piloting im not impressed she has not improved her skill at all not like Clause had too. Watching her fly is honestly boring bring back my lovely queen of the sky Titania
I try not to make comparisons with Fam, Claus, and Tatiana. Three different people, three different situations, backgrounds, and skill sets.

Aside from running from 3 Ades heavy vanships in a damaged, overloaded Vespa and the brief encounter with Tatiana, when has Fam had the chance to improve her skills? Hard to develop those elite skills when your main prey are lumbering capital ships (not armed vanships) and you're amassing flight hours mainly by flying taxi service for princesses.

Unlike the Sky Pirates, the Vanship Union guys, Tatiana's squadron, and (later on) Claus in S1 developed their skills because they had to contend with Guild Starfishes on a regular basis...and even then, the VU guys had to go through combat training before the assault on the Guild. If I remember correctly, even Claus got owned the first time out in an armed vanship, with the Sylvana's firepower having to save his butt.

Sky Pirate targets are large, lumbering capital ships, and when things get too hot, their SOP is to hide and/or run away. Don't need real fancy flying for that.

I'm not disagreeing with you...yeah, Fam definitely needs some one-on-one flight training time with Dio. I just wanted to point out how Fam's situation is different.
Old 2012-01-26, 19:53   Link #2032
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Thank you im at work so i cant watch the episode till i get home to see.

But if you are right that means that these new weapons are useless against flanking attackis and attacks from the rear. The formations they moved into formed a box much like the formation used by the US in the war over Europe in WWII. The B-17's would use a kill box formation to protect each other, any enemy fighters in the kill box would be shot at from multiple gunners.

It seems Ades's formation was concentrated solely on the fighters attacking from the front, above and below. Which was the right tactic for battling Glacies's Rocket Vanships. However now that these weapons have been used i doubt such tactics will work again.

If a handful of Rocket Vanships or say a ship like the Silivus or Silvana were to attack from the rear it would decimate the fleet. If a ship like the Urbanus were to attack from the flank it would cut the outlining ships to shreds forcing them to possibly collide with the midrow ships.

Of course, the Glacies airforce must be not in a state of completely wiped out first...
Old 2012-01-26, 20:53   Link #2033
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Can someone please tell me the time this anime airs in Japan?
CBC: Sat 02:00
TBS: Sat 02:55

These are the two earliest broadcasts. The time over 2400 is a colloquial expression that it runs past midnight (i.e. x-2400 for the next day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officla Website
CBC 毎週金曜 26:00~ 10月7日(金)
TBS 毎週金曜 26:55~ 10月7日(金)
HBC 毎週月曜 26:26~ 10月10日(月)
IBC 毎週金曜 15:50~ 10月14日(金)
TBC 毎週日曜 5:30~ 11月27日(日) 注1
サンテレビ 毎週月曜 25:35~ 10月10日(月)
AT-X 毎週月曜 08:30~/20:30~
毎週木曜 14:30~/26:30~ 10月10日(月)
Old 2012-01-26, 21:32   Link #2034
leokiko

Quote:
CBC: Sat 02:00
TBS: Sat 02:55

These are the two earliest broadcasts. The time over 2400 is a colloquial expression that it runs past midnight (i.e. x-2400 for the next day).
Thank you very much!
Old 2012-01-26, 23:35   Link #2035
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
http://thecartdriver.com/fam-is-a-gi...#comment-26347

^Fun read. Pretty much my thoughts: LE Fam has great battles, politics and Millia. But there has to be Fam there
I agreed to a certain degree, but it was pretty much a rant.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 00:17   Link #2036
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
That was the main reason it was a fun read xD
Old 2012-01-27, 02:46   Link #2037
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I agree with the blog to some extent.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 16:14   Link #2038
leokiko

Spoiler for Episode 15:

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-01-27 at 20:01.
Old 2012-01-27, 20:37   Link #2039
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Spoiler for Episode 15:
If I don't wrong, "Agusta" is title for female while "Agustus" is title for male .

And how about exile battle?
Old 2012-01-27, 21:52   Link #2040
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
If I don't wrong, "Agusta" is title for female while "Agustus" is title for male .

And how about exile battle?
Spoiler for This week's episode.:

Tags
adventure, science fiction