AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Old 2013-04-12, 00:27   Link #241
U<3Anime
Boo!

As expected from Sunrise, Episode 1 totally could have passed off as a new gundam series if it only had one. Instead of hi-jacking 4 gundams like seed this had several dudes trying to hi-jack one gundam lol. I guess the only thing that caught me off guard was the whole vampire thing.
Old 2013-04-12, 00:38   Link #242
Nvis
Where are the good animes

No Flagship, huh?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 00:47   Link #243
DorkingtonPugsly

That girl with the white hair in the screen in the valvrave, isn't she the same one who appears in the opening?
Old 2013-04-12, 00:54   Link #244
Xion Valkyrie

Is this the season of bait and switch? Suisei no Gargantia, Hataraku Maou-sama!!, and now Valverave.

Anyways, watching this episode reminded me a lot of Code Geass's first episode, where they start with your standard Gundam plot but then start throwing things out the window. It even has the random school comedy + fanservice scenes that CG had which contrasted with the much darker war/mech setting and plot. Although I think execution wise the direction isn't quite up to part with CG's first episode, but it's still very promising.

Also regarding best girl:
Spoiler:
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 00:58   Link #245
Pacify

Well. Ok

Not sure what i feel about this one. Obviously it felt an awful lot like Gundam seed, until the whole vampire pilot thing

hopefully she's not dead, she was the best part of the first episode lol
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 00:59   Link #246
Beltane70

Not seeing a body doesn't guarantee that she isn't dead, either.

I wasn't too surprised of the main character coming back to life. After all, he did answer yes to the question, "Do you resign as a human being?".

Last edited by Beltane70; 2013-04-12 at 01:06. Reason: Added a few sentences
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:00   Link #247
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

If she's not dead, then I'm going to /facepalm, because it's going to likely mean the joking nature of the whole vampire aspect is going to become a lot more twilight than I'd like.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:05   Link #248
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Dat wonderful combination of TM Revolution and Nana Mizuki
noooooo, i must break the illusion that this series is set after SEED Destiny
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:11   Link #249
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Ahahaha that post-credits scene. Completely changed the tone of the show up to that point.
Honestly it was a pretty decent watch besides, but, uh, would someone like to explain to me why it took him like ten minutes of WHY WON'T THE ROBOT START before he hit 'yes'? That was really dumb.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:13   Link #250
~BC~

Really enjoyed this first episode. The first half was fairly standard but had it's little elements that gave it a certain charm. That said, I wouldn't mind if they didn't conveniently go back to the same atmosphere once everything has calmed. I'd like for at least some of the student body to behave as if they have a valid reason to grieve and be afraid. Not really hopeful for that to be the case though.

So much was made about the "vampire" after the credits that I found the D-Zero revelation a lot more intriguing (even though it's just another typical trope). It also put the earlier fight between L-Elf and Haruto into better perspective (particularly the former deviating from the plan to "minimize interacting with the locals").
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:24   Link #251
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltane70 View Post
If she's really dead, add her to list of dead love interest/classmate.
Spoiler for list *dead characters spoiler*:

She will break the record as the fastest to die at episode 1.

Now I'm worried about Haruto's kouhai, Saki.
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:28   Link #252
Beltane70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno View Post

Now I'm worried about Haruto's kouhai, Saki.
Oh, I don't know, there was the girl in the first episode of Deadman Wonderland that was killed in the first 5 minutes of the episode.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:39   Link #253
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Wow, so many people missing all the "she's not really dead" indicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltane70 View Post
No it doesn't, but it raises the chances by at least double. And paired with all the other indicators that she's not a throwaway character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno View Post

All of whom had very significant death scenes well into each of their series-es. Shouko suddenly gets blown up by a beam out of nowhere in the very first episode with no teary-eyed scene with the MC before she kicks?

To quote my full list of why I think she's not dead:

Quote:
1. Defintiely not the kind of end you'd expect for somebody who's supposed to be so important to the main character. We didn't get any real scene of crying or wailing from Haruto. (and any Sunrise veteran knows they're experts at this, even to a fault)

2. In fact, it was way too quick, and showed way too little; we didn't see any sight nor sign that her body was actually vaporized or anything. We've seen this oh-so-many times before, especially from the very guys at Sunrise; no body, no death.

3. For such a quick-death character, she's at the top of the cast list in the credits, and at the top of the characters list on the webpage. We all know it's an unspoken rule that, unless otherwise stated (order of appearance, alphabetical, etc.), all film media lists characters in order of importance.

4. In the opening, she appears right there next to the very live other girl that's also at the top of the credits and character lists.
Old 2013-04-12, 02:09   Link #254
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Well, the car being vaporized would sort of insinuate her body was vaporized too. Why this incessant wish for her being alive?

Her death can serve as a plot device to fuel our protagonist through a story that involves a mecha that apparently clamps down on your humanity, to allow you to be a perfect killing machine.

What possible purpose would her being alive serve, other than squeeeeeeeeeeeee-bait?

I mean, anything's possible; it's anime after all, but I certainly don't see any upside to having her alive.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 02:28   Link #255
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Well, the car being vaporized would sort of insinuate her body was vaporized too. Why this incessant wish for her being alive?

Her death can serve as a plot device to fuel our protagonist through a story that involves a mecha that apparently clamps down on your humanity, to allow you to be a perfect killing machine.

What possible purpose would her being alive serve, other than squeeeeeeeeeeeee-bait?

I mean, anything's possible; it's anime after all, but I certainly don't see any upside to having her alive.
When did we even see the car vaporized? We never actually saw that either. For all we know it's buried under dirt while Shouko was knocked away by the blast, or the car got blown a distance away by the blast along with a severely wounded Shouko. We didn't exactly get an inch-by-inch analysis of the blast area.
And for the record, even then Shouko would hardly be the first Sunrise character to survive when everything else around her was melted/vaporized. (and no I'm not just talking about Mwu at the end of GSEED )
Not to mention the whole vampire thing gives Sunrise an angle to bring her back even if she really did die.

It's called doubt; I don't see her being dead (for good, at least), not like that and not after all the indicators I pointed out. Why is there any wish for her to really be dead?

I don't know what her purpose would be alive; if C2 had stayed dead at the beginning of Code Geass, what would her purpose have been? You're talking like her character is pointless, when all we have is the first episode. Not exactly much time to display any worth. If you're going to say Shouko is worthless just after seeing her apparently die in the first episode, then Suzaku in Code Geass was just an idealist who got shot in the back by his own side and apparently die for defending his friend in the first episode.

Whether or not she's actually alive, it's hard for her to do much when the series has gone on for all of one episode so far.
Old 2013-04-12, 02:48   Link #256
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

Yeah, she's not vaporized, but how can she survive from a blast like that? She could lost her arm or leg as a result only from the shockwave. Reminds me of the turtle mine scene from breaking bad.
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 02:50   Link #257
Jerseykid

It's always amazing when the main character takes fatal damage and the emotional impact it carries. Even though it was only just one episode.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 02:52   Link #258
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post

I don't know what her purpose would be alive; if C2 had stayed dead at the beginning of Code Geass, what would her purpose have been? You're talking like her character is pointless, when all we have is the first episode. Not exactly much time to display any worth. If you're going to say Shouko is worthless just after seeing her apparently die in the first episode, then Suzaku in Code Geass was just an idealist who got shot in the back by his own side and apparently die for defending his friend in the first episode.

Whether or not she's actually alive, it's hard for her to do much when the series has gone on for all of one episode so far.
Shoko is the mecha
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 03:32   Link #259
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

seems like my kind of series......then shoko died...........now i dont really know about this series, might just wait to see what they do with shoko(she had some kind of power to survive, then i will watch/a double, then i will drop)
Old 2013-04-12, 03:41   Link #260
Raxnom
気疲れ

Haruto probably was injected with nanomachines. Though, the first impression of scene does scream Vampire ;D

Tags
action, body swapping, fukujun, love polygon, mecha, sci-fi, space, space idol, vampire