AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-18, 17:16   Link #3721
Enternal

Hmm... do anyone have any sort of idea as to what's the relationship between Yuuno and Nanoha? I mean reading through all the sound stages, even the others are not sure. Fate and Hayate wonders about it quite a bit too:

Fate: Hm, it seems like Nanoha-chan and Yuuno-kun possess a unique bond between them that we can’t comprehend/understand at all. And it doesn't seem like Yuuno feels any complaints/dissatisfaction about the current relationship, it feels like they’re like family or something like that.

Also in one of the talks between Yuuno and Chrno, the way Yuuno explains their relationship is like really really simple (and according to Chrono, the same was said from Nanoha) yet at the same time Chrno seems to feel that there is something else there but he does not know what it is either. Yuuno and Chrno explains their relationship as being very simple and very close but that is only according to what they say. Yet even in StrikerS, they were blushing when they saw each other and Nanoha looked really happy listening to him. What exactly the hell is the nature of their relationship?

Or... is perhaps the author likes screwing with us. He did the same thing with Nanoha/Fate and he's also doing it with Nanoha/Yuuno so that any of these two relationships are plausible. Dang it.
Old 2011-10-18, 17:28   Link #3722
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Or... is perhaps the author likes screwing with us. He did the same thing with Nanoha/Fate and he's also doing it with Nanoha/Yuuno so that any of these two relationships are plausible. Dang it.
You answered your own question xDU

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-10-18, 18:08   Link #3723
Sunder the Gold

Just tell yourself that the three of them are in a polyamorous relationship or are the verge of it, and no one has figured this out yet beyond noticing something weird going on.

Though I just now realized that Fate can't be particularly desperate to shack-up with Nanoha on a full-time and permanent basis (as per lots of fanon), or else she would have chosen a job that require staying on Midchilda full-time.

Fate is at least as invested in her job as Yuuno is invested in his. Even if Fate really wants a romantic relationship with Nanoha, that's not ALL she wants out of life, or even the first thing. She wants to stop criminals and save kids.

Fate also said on one of the Sound Stages that she was supporting Yuuno's chances with Nanoha. Yuuno has never said anything of the sort regarding a relationship between her and Nanoha, but the franchise is shier about lesbianism than hetereonormality.

You want a really funny situation? Have Yuuno love Nanoha, Nanoha love Fate, and Fate love Yuuno.
Old 2011-10-18, 18:14   Link #3724
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Echoing Aki's answer. At least, it's the amusing one to consider, heh.

The other possible answer, is that Tsuzuki never meant for this series to be about any kind of romantic love or romantic relationships. Instead, like most shonen, it's about strong friendship bonds, and also family. He's done a lot about setting up families where no romantic love is present, as if to say "you don't need a romantic love to make a family." In that light, romantic feelings for any of the mains (mostly centered around Nanoha), would defeat the theme of the entire series.

Nanoha is a single mother, and the series is saying: "That's okay." Fate is her best friend, and Yuuno is a really good, close friend, and both help her out from time to time. She probably sees both as family.

Anyway, I doubt it will ever be known for sure, so decide for yourself how you feel. Just realize that there are very few canon relationships, so multiple viewpoints are valid. If you can do that, you'll be fine.^^

And these are mainly my own thoughts on the matter.

Edit: Forgot to add that the only true pairing with Nanoha, is Nanoha/Job. :P
Old 2011-10-18, 18:52   Link #3725
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Quote:
Hayate: Out of us all, Nanoha-chan is the most famous. Lots of magazine articles appeared about her.
Hayate: But you know Fate-chan is similar in that regards. You’re admired in the eyes of everyone at HQ and by career minded young ones.

So actually Nanoha is really well known. And yeah, she's probably even more famous now for being the mother of baby Jesus Yam.... I mean Sankt Kaiser Vivio.
I'm still trying to figure out how Nanoha manage to get That famous by Strikers. Since she ended up being an combat teacher in between A's and Strikers. And she somehow gotten the title "Ace of Ace" which I don't think fitting for her.
My interpretation of "Ace of Ace" is better than the best there is. Kinda like "Mobius One" from Ace Combat 4, who was an Ace that taken down a squadron of Aces.

That and nothing happen during that time that would make her shine out or having her fight another group of Aces. Heck Signum was causing a tie with her and she didn't get any huge popularity.

but the answers I've ever gotten mostly was "She's like Superman in that world."

If this was true then Fate should have been more famous since she's an Enforcer helping people and rescuing children. Nanoha was only training the Air force and only help out directly only when she's happened to walk by.

I still can't help but to feel like we are missing something in between A's and Strikers even though there is a manga dedicated to it. It's been a long time since Strikers and I just can't get over this.

------------------------

As for your next post.
That was from the time when They love to tease Nanoha's paring. If they tease Nanoha/Yuuno paring lately I am unaware of it.
Old 2011-10-18, 19:03   Link #3726
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

^ Maybe Nanoha is famopus only among military forces? Even if she appeared on magazines maybe those are targeted to a designated demographic like TSAB personnel, military-mage fans or the like.

Just because "The TSAB Journal" or "Mage's Health" makes an article about you it doesn't mean you're a worldwide superstar, good air force pilots or renowed officials receive surnames or monickers all the time. Maybe Nanoha's companions in her unit think she's pretty awesome and spreaded that "Ace of Aces" thing xD.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-10-18, 19:31   Link #3727
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Ace of Aces is not a title one can just slap to a fighter just because that person was better than average. Cool sounding monickers like Red Baron, the Butcher of Torfan, or White Devil are possible, but not Ace of Aces. Her unit has no right to just call her that because she's 'pretty awesome', not unless they want to contest that claim with other units who have their own share of aces (and there has to be since there's also other aces like Fate, Signum, Chono and Vita, to say the least).

Ace of Aces is only reserved to one that had proven themselves to be the absolute best in real battle instead of just tournaments or simulations. In real life the indicator is the number of enemy fliers they've shot down - the one with the most kills gets that title. But with considerations on how power levels can drastically vary and the lack of large number of enemies (until StrikerS) means that they are using a different scoring standard.

Nanoha is undoubtedly badass but I agree, we're missing something really big between A's and StrikerS. Her achievements in ToS and A's is notable, enough to make her an ace, and a good indicator of her potential, but those were not enough to claim as being better than every other aces in the Midchildan Military, let alone the entire TSAB.
Old 2011-10-18, 20:22   Link #3728
Enternal

Wow all the answers about the relationship between Yuuno and Nanoha are great! I actually am fine with the way it is although once in a while, it would bug me a bit because of how they tease us. Also they still somewhat tease us about Nanoha/Yuuno which was in the Movie 1st soundstage which is what I was listening to last night and hence the question about it again.

About Nanoha's title... don't know what to think about that yet. I actually never really thought to much about it until it was pointed out. Also, isn't the title usually refered to aerial mages. So she could very much be the Ace of all Aces within the aerial branch. But she was later known as that throughout all of TSAB so I'm assuming it also became her moniker as well as her title?

Last edited by Enternal; 2011-10-18 at 20:58.
Old 2011-10-18, 21:48   Link #3729
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks she shouldn't be having the Ace of Aces title.

Didn't know about that from the Movie's soundstage.
Old 2011-10-18, 21:56   Link #3730
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks she shouldn't be having the Ace of Aces title
Nah, I also thought it was bullshit.

How could Nanoha be more of an ace than Fate, who has just as much power and actually more experience?

Or Signum or Vita, who are at least equal in power and have FAR more experience?

Especially since Nanoha got shot down, and would have been set back by the time needed to recover.

I agree that something BIG might have happened after she recovered but before StrikerS started, so that pepple decided to call her that regardless of how she actually compared to other Aces, but that's sort of the thing that we should be SHOWN, not told about. Especially not "told" merely through insinuation.
Old 2011-10-18, 23:00   Link #3731
Enternal

Well... all three of them are known as the "Three Aces" which was a reference to the "Three Legendary Admirals" (Midget Crowbel, Leone Phils, Largo Kiel). Perhaps her title is just "Ace" but since she is the more well known of the three and had more success earlier than the other two (she did become the youngest instructor) than the other two that she pretty much was called the "Ace of the Aces" or in other terms the Ace of the three Aces. Well at least that's what I think. But as you all know, Tsuzuki tends to tell us things rather than showing us things. Personally I never really have much of an issue with that...
Old 2011-10-19, 00:56   Link #3732
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
but the answers I've ever gotten mostly was "She's like Superman in that world."

If this was true then Fate should have been more famous since she's an Enforcer helping people and rescuing children. Nanoha was only training the Air force and only help out directly only when she's happened to walk by.
I am under the impression that she is the military poster girl, the kind that they put onto recruitment posters "I want you for the TSAB Armed Forces!" It has less to do with her being better than Fate (if anything, Fate is stronger than post-injury Nanoha), and more with her image being hyped by the Bureau, e.g. with public mock battles such as in StrikerS manga. They can't do the same with Fate because Fate is an investigator, so the less people know her face, the easier her work. Plus, there is that small matter of being a reformed interdimensional criminal. And the third Ace, Hayate, is just not heroic material for propaganda purposes.
Old 2011-10-19, 01:02   Link #3733
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
I am under the impression that she is the military poster girl, the kind that they put onto recruitment posters "I want you for the TSAB Armed Forces!" It has less to do with her being better than Fate (if anything, Fate is stronger than post-injury Nanoha), and more with her image being hyped by the Bureau, e.g. with public mock battles such as in StrikerS manga. They can't do the same with Fate because Fate is an investigator, so the less people know her face, the easier her work. Plus, there is that small matter of being a reformed interdimensional criminal. And the third Ace, Hayate, is just not heroic material for propaganda purposes.
I seconded this.

Nanoha herself is looking-down at her own abilities most of the time, nos as in 'pesimistic' or 'feeling weak', but as in 'always been improving', so she always ready for new, larger threat.

Being cynical as it is, Force thrown us the fact that Nanoha is at her limit, and not even shiny new toys can save her...
Old 2011-10-19, 01:22   Link #3734
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Well here's the thing; Ace of Aces is "a military title accorded to the greatest active military ace in a nation's military service". And yet before StrikerS, she never did anything that makes her the greatest.

Beating Fate? Chrono could and did that, faster.

Fighting the Wolkenritter? She never bested any of them.

Between A's and StrikerS? Steel talon to the chest.

She's powerful, yes, but her real combat achievements weren't enough to claim that title. If her only proof of prowess is in mock battles, she's not much different than Patrick Colasour

I like to think that she did something awesome before A's and StrikerS (6 years is a long time, and as flashbacks showed us sometimes she spent them doing missions instead of training cadets), but that's fanfic territory. Canon-wise...well, was the original japanese title even Ace-of-Aces? It won't be the first time fans misused a term just because it's cooler (Ancient Belka instead of Old Belka)
Old 2011-10-19, 01:27   Link #3735
Enternal

That's odd. This is what I got from wikipedia:

"Ace of aces is a title accorded to the top active ace within a branch of service in a nation's military in time of war. The title is most closely associated with fighter aces, though there are other types, such as tank aces, and submarine aces."

Anyway I'm curious about "was the original japanese title even Ace-of-Aces" as well.
Old 2011-10-19, 02:24   Link #3736
Sunder the Gold

Nanoha and Signum are both part of the Aerial Forces, and Nanoha has never beaten the Blazing General on-screen, nor do I recall anyone claiming she had ever beaten her off-screen.

They've had two canonical fights as demonstrations, but both ended in ties.

It's even possible that Signum might be holding back, because she doesn't actually intend to kill Nanoha, and because she would rather enjoy the fight than win it quickly.
Old 2011-10-19, 02:46   Link #3737
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Nanoha and Signum are both part of the Aerial Forces, and Nanoha has never beaten the Blazing General on-screen, nor do I recall anyone claiming she had ever beaten her off-screen.

They've had two canonical fights as demonstrations, but both ended in ties.

It's even possible that Signum might be holding back, because she doesn't actually intend to kill Nanoha, and because she would rather enjoy the fight than win it quickly.
Actually they both did not hold back. So we actually don't know who would actually win and even in their first fight which turned into a brawl after they both ran out of mana. I did laughed at the comment from Signum "Good grief, You monster. I thought I was going to die back there" in which Nanoha replied back "Actually that's my line".

Makes me wonder if Nanoha was never seriously injured... crazier brawling aces?

That reminds me, it does seem that Nanoha does seem to enjoy fights with Signum doesn't she? She was like that too in A's manga when they both exchange insults which leads to more insanity... poor Yuuno...

Exert from A's manga:
Signum: Are you really worried that you'll be defeated in front of our master?
Nanoha: WHAT'D YOU SAY, BITCH!?
Signum: ME!?!?
Signum: ALL RIGHT, THAT BRAT'S FINALLY GONE AND DONE IT!! PREPARE YOURSELF NANOHA!!
Old 2011-10-19, 03:53   Link #3738
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
That's odd. This is what I got from wikipedia:

"Ace of aces is a title accorded to the top active ace within a branch of service in a nation's military in time of war. The title is most closely associated with fighter aces, though there are other types, such as tank aces, and submarine aces."
I used the definition here instead of the one above because AFAIK only the Wolkies had actually fought a war, which would make the above definition unusable here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Actually Fate specifically ordered both of them to hold back (Page 20) so that they wouldn't stress themselves too much
Old 2011-10-19, 05:38   Link #3739
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Stage A's SS02
Lotte: Battle technique instruction corps assistants is the most common job right now. (personally, I suppose we could call them Instructors in the ART OF WAR corps)
Nanoha: Battle Technique instruction corps?
Aria: A special team of instructors who teach and guide Armed Bureau members in special battle techniques.
Lotte: It's already quite hard to become an armed enforcer but there's another group within the group of enforcers who teach their air borne techniques. (bad translation)
Aria: They're the top elite.
Lotte: Yup, the Aces amongst Aces. A group of Aces of Aces. In headquarters there's about 4 branch offices, 5 if you add in the instruction corps but all together there's only about 100 people.
Fate: They're that rare?
If this helps your debate on finding what Ace of Aces is supposed to be in Nanoha-universe.

They appear to be... well... combat instructors.

I think I may need to listen to A's SS02. Armed Enforcer makes it sound as if nanoha does a similar to Fate.

I suppose it should be 'combat forces' or 'armed forces' rather than enforcer.
Old 2011-10-19, 06:06   Link #3740
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

^ Problem solved, 100 people is comparable to Nanoha in terms of strength and/or skill...

But none of them use thair strength/skill for paving the road of friendship with big-ass magic cannon, I bet.